post #361 of 1596 Old 01-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Those are interesting articles with good info.
I don't ever have lights on with my front projector - except before the movie, when people are getting settled and pouring a glass of wine, and afterwards, when the movie is over and I want them to leave !!

I don't have lights on either when I'm watching a Blu-ray, but my setup is a family living/home theater room so during the day I have lights on. I use my PJ as my HDTV. I run my PJ about 8 hours/day...at least. Even being a little washed out with lights on still looks better to me than a tiny 55" HDTV from 12' away. Size matters! tongue.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1596 Old 01-15-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Ah, that makes sense. Our theater is strictly for movies, and some HDTV. It might get used 10 hours a week. No lighting needed for other than walking in or walking out after the show. I have a flat panel elsewhere to watch " crap ".

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #363 of 1596 Old 01-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ah, that makes sense. Our theater is strictly for movies, and some HDTV. It might get used 10 hours a week. No lighting needed for other than walking in or walking out after the show. I have a flat panel elsewhere to watch " crap ".

Yeahhh, unfortunately I don't make that much money yet to do a dedicated theater room. Maybe in my next home 10+ years from now. Plus I didn't want to segregate myself off from the rest of my home and family, which knowing me as well as I do, would definitely happen. I would be like a bug flying in a light if I had a dedicated theater room...I would never leave, LOL! Honey!!! Will you order me a pizza and bring me a 6-pack of Red Bull?! eek.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #364 of 1596 Old 01-15-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 347
My wife loves watching movies in our dedicated theater, but we don't watch as much as I'd like. That's OK - I need to get out and get exercise so I can live longer - and watch more movies in the theater over the years !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #365 of 1596 Old 01-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My wife loves watching movies in our dedicated theater, but we don't watch as much as I'd like. That's OK - I need to get out and get exercise so I can live longer - and watch more movies in the theater over the years !!

Yeah man, I'm totoally jealous of your location under your name. That's the stuff I miss most from Reno. It was so seasonal and there's so many outdoor activities to do there. I can't wait to move back out there. Florida isn't terrible (I grew up here), I just really loved the West (Reno in particular). We used to go to the Yuba Gap and hike all day and swim in that frigid Yuba River...brrrrrrr!!! I miss Lake Tahoe and snowboarding and rock crawling in my buds jeep and going to the sand dunes and the list goes on. Just soooo much to do there. I'll be back one day though...

And there's actual scenery out there. In Florida, it's so flat you can't see past the dang Pine trees 20 yards in front of you. mad.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #366 of 1596 Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well for me, I live most of my free time in the man cave. I have tvs between 32"-60" around the house but seem to spend most of the time using the pj. Typically on 4 hrs Mon-Fri and about 10 hours each on Sat and Sun for games. The only downfall is going through pricey lamps quicker than most people but, glad to pay it every time I see that 110" image on the screen.

Ian B
post #367 of 1596 Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

Well for me, I live most of my free time in the man cave. I have tvs between 32"-60" around the house but seem to spend most of the time using the pj. Typically on 4 hrs Mon-Fri and about 10 hours each on Sat and Sun for games. The only downfall is going through pricey lamps quicker than most people but, glad to pay it every time I see that 110" image on the screen.

Ian B

Yup, that's how I am! Except mine is on about 8 hrs/day. I just plan on replacing the lamp every other Christmas, or as necessary. But my next PJ will be powered by LEDs or fricken Lasers so I wont suffer the lamp dilemma much longer. tongue.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #368 of 1596 Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I love it - powered by sharks wearing frickin' laser beams.  

This is a dedicated theater room for me.  Have been in this house for 12 years and have been planning it for about that long.  I finally sold the idea to my wife (to convert the room) because the kids are getting older and we would like our house to be the one that their friends wants to cover over and play video games and watch movies.

Over the past 1/2 year, I have been moving all my equipment from the family room to the basement.  I build a custom A/V rack out of angle iron to hold all the components (that took awhile), and rewired everything, running a dedicated circuit just for the A/V.  This weekend will be the culmination event.  Painting has commenced (this evening), and should be completed Friday night.  Saturday, the projector arrives!!  Now... what will the first movie be?????  Pacific Rim...  Dark Knight...  Star Wars... Avatar... ???

Since the move in the basement, the TV is probably used 1-2 hours a night during the week, and maybe we'll watch a movie down there in the basement once over the weekend.  So I think my lamp should last a pretty long time.

Everyone has been awesome answering all the questions I had, so thanks a ton.  There were two that seemed to get skipped over, so any advice would be great.

Question 4

I know people have talked about the 3D glasses issue (and there was one guy that got kind of pissed about having to repeat similar answers over and over again), so I don't mean to ask this issue again, but I didn't quite follow the response.  I obviously will have the 2 pairs of glasses that come with the projector.  But I wanted to order some additional pairs, and based on some of the comments of connection issues and comfort factor, I purchased the MonsterVision Max 3D glasses along with the Transmitter Kit.  Will I be able to use both types of glasses at the same time with the transmitter MonsterVision provided?

Question 5

I know there are more and more people that are installing this projector in their home, so I was curious if there were any consensus settings I should apply during my initial set-up.

Thanks again for all the help.  I'll post some pics once the painting is compete and the first movie is playing...

post #369 of 1596 Old 01-16-2014, 11:50 AM

Hi,

Looks like I Will bite the bullit and order the hw55 this weekend ( fed up with Playing the waiting game '-). Would like to have it installed For the superbowl.
It will replace my Thrusty 4 yr old sony hw10, so I Should be in For a serious improvement, moreover as it Will be coupled with an oppo103d.
I Will report my findings asap, it might help someone to decide.

Nico, Belgium
post #370 of 1596 Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM

Guys, i need help.

I've had HW-55 for couple of months now and i love it! Whatever i watch it can handle it masterfully, from blu-rays to videogames. But now...ive noticed something, and i do believe
Its not the projectors fault, but i just want to make sure: I have it set up in my livingroom and i can make the room completely dark, no light what so ever. However, my walls are white, and the livingroom is rather small, so the projector really lights it up. And whenever there is a bright light on screen ( like bright skies, a light) it does affect the blacks in a negative way, they tend to become more gray and washed out. Now, is it just the light reflecting back from the walls and hurting the image or is this common with projectors?

do i need to paint my flat black or will any darker matte paint work? Any advice is welcome smile.gif

Edit: Heres a pic taken from the screens "perspective" as you can see, a lot of white walls. Also the screen is around 4 meters from the projector

post #371 of 1596 Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Any and everything in the room with the projector is going to reflect light back to the screen if it's light colored or even if it's dark colored yet reflective (as opposed to matte). Additionally any light sources no matter how small can cause problems. Ideally with everything powered off in the room it would be pitch black and you wouldn't be able to see where your screen is on the wall. In my case even the display on my receiver on it's dimmest setting at 15 feet away shows up as stray light on the screen...or the standby light on my projector when it's off gives off enough light to be visible on the screen.

Ideally everything in the room would be matte black and emit no light whatsoever...furniture, walls, knick-knacks...you get the idea.
post #372 of 1596 Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Liked: 11
I agree with jmhart that the light walls and any stray light certainly affect what Pepeman84 is experencing, but a contributing factor may be that Pepe is running the iris at full and the iris is opening up on high APL scenes therby raising the blackfloor.

Pete
post #373 of 1596 Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I watched a great movie last night on Hulu with one flaw: a white logo in the bottom right. Needless to say, it destroyed my black levels. Next time I will shut down the iris when I notice this.
post #374 of 1596 Old 01-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Anyone else notice a frame drop/stutter when Film1 mode is set? I was hacking away at my system last night since i was not sure what it was, turning that OFF solved my issue, dont remember turning it on so it must be on by default ...anyways it was a pain in the ass as it was affecting my image regardless of source...well did not notice on blu ray cause im guessing 24p takes over but on cable/apple tv it was happening ...hard to describe but it looked like a frame would drop every 5 or 6 seconds. Thought i'd mention it incase anyone else notices this. Loving the unit though, but I really missed my electronic focus I had on my VW40 ...I also noticed the lens is not glass like my old 40...but i didn't mind the lighter weight of it when i was moving it around. On a Da-Lite HP 2.8 it glows.
post #375 of 1596 Old 01-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter G View Post

I love it - powered by sharks wearing frickin' laser beams.  

This is a dedicated theater room for me.  Have been in this house for 12 years and have been planning it for about that long.  I finally sold the idea to my wife (to convert the room) because the kids are getting older and we would like our house to be the one that their friends wants to cover over and play video games and watch movies.

Over the past 1/2 year, I have been moving all my equipment from the family room to the basement.  I build a custom A/V rack out of angle iron to hold all the components (that took awhile), and rewired everything, running a dedicated circuit just for the A/V.  This weekend will be the culmination event.  Painting has commenced (this evening), and should be completed Friday night.  Saturday, the projector arrives!!  Now... what will the first movie be?????  Pacific Rim...  Dark Knight...  Star Wars... Avatar... ???

Since the move in the basement, the TV is probably used 1-2 hours a night during the week, and maybe we'll watch a movie down there in the basement once over the weekend.  So I think my lamp should last a pretty long time.

Everyone has been awesome answering all the questions I had, so thanks a ton.  There were two that seemed to get skipped over, so any advice would be great.

Question 4
I know people have talked about the 3D glasses issue (and there was one guy that got kind of pissed about having to repeat similar answers over and over again), so I don't mean to ask this issue again, but I didn't quite follow the response.  I obviously will have the 2 pairs of glasses that come with the projector.  But I wanted to order some additional pairs, and based on some of the comments of connection issues and comfort factor, I purchased the MonsterVision Max 3D glasses along with the Transmitter Kit.  Will I be able to use both types of glasses at the same time with the transmitter MonsterVision provided?

Question 5
I know there are more and more people that are installing this projector in their home, so I was curious if there were any consensus settings I should apply during my initial set-up.

Thanks again for all the help.  I'll post some pics once the painting is compete and the first movie is playing...

I see you got the shark reference! biggrin.gif

Question 4
I hate the glasses that came with the projector. They are sooo heavy and uncomfortable. I'll have to experiment with others, but for now, no 3D for me.

Question 5
ProjectorPoint

Projector Reviews

Just experiment with the settings though. Your eyes may like some different combinations of the settings.

Whatever you do though, File Mode = Off, if you care about motion handling.
And I keep Reality Creation at the minimum settings so it doesn't introduce too many artifacts.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #376 of 1596 Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccormack View Post

Anyone else notice a frame drop/stutter when Film1 mode is set? I was hacking away at my system last night since i was not sure what it was, turning that OFF solved my issue, dont remember turning it on so it must be on by default ...anyways it was a pain in the ass as it was affecting my image regardless of source...well did not notice on blu ray cause im guessing 24p takes over but on cable/apple tv it was happening ...hard to describe but it looked like a frame would drop every 5 or 6 seconds. Thought i'd mention it incase anyone else notices this. Loving the unit though, but I really missed my electronic focus I had on my VW40 ...I also noticed the lens is not glass like my old 40...but i didn't mind the lighter weight of it when i was moving it around. On a Da-Lite HP 2.8 it glows.

Yes, Film Mode should = OFF for ALL viewing. Forget about this setting if you value smooth judder free motion.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #377 of 1596 Old 01-17-2014, 09:09 PM
SMT

Question on the 3D glasses that come with this projector, wife is experiencing split second darkness and stopped motion for a split second, I do not experience that. We've switched glasses and seating spots but she gets this effect and I never do. Is it possible individuals are more sensitive? She says it does not really bother her but wondering if there is anything I can adjust?? We both love this projector and the 3D is amazing!

Thanks
post #378 of 1596 Old 01-18-2014, 10:17 AM

Ok all,

So I took your advice.  I had to take a "mental health day" yesterday to get it done (the things we do for our HT obsession), but I think it is looking pretty good.  Only 1 thing missing - the actual projector.  Sony moved back my delivery time to Monday - so no weekend viewing :mad:

So you all can see the before and after... here is the before shot with the light tan paint.

Here is the after with the walls painted a flat, dark grey and the ceiling painted 7 feet back from the projector.

MUCH BETTER!!  And the wife doesn't hate it :)

post #379 of 1596 Old 01-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok all,

So I took your advice.  I had to take a "mental health day" yesterday to get it done (the things we do for our HT obsession), but I think it is looking pretty good.  Only 1 thing missing - the actual projector.  Sony moved back my delivery time to Monday - so no weekend viewing mad.gif

So you all can see the before and after... here is the before shot with the light tan paint.

Here is the after with the walls painted a flat, dark grey and the ceiling painted 7 feet back from the projector.

MUCH BETTER!!  And the wife doesn't hate it smile.gif

Looks great!!!!!

Ian B
post #380 of 1596 Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Ok all,

So I took your advice.  I had to take a "mental health day" yesterday to get it done (the things we do for our HT obsession), but I think it is looking pretty good.  Only 1 thing missing - the actual projector.  Sony moved back my delivery time to Monday - so no weekend viewing mad.gif

MUCH BETTER!!  And the wife doesn't hate it smile.gif

B&W CDM 9NTs and CNT? I have the same ... love 'em. What do you use for surrounds?

My Bargain Basement Theater
post #381 of 1596 Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post

B&W CDM 9NTs and CNT? I have the same ... love 'em. What do you use for surrounds?
I use the B&W LM1s. Might be a weak point in my set up, but they actually sound great, especially with the small room I have.

I agree though, I love the CDM series. Still get the nautilus tweeter outside of the cabinet and the Kevlar mid - phenomenal sound. Have it coupled with a velodyne HGS-12.

What are you using?
post #382 of 1596 Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I unboxed my 55ES today and will mount it Monday... screen should be here next week. My first projector I'm pretty pumped
C130 likes this.
post #383 of 1596 Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post

I unboxed my 55ES today and will mount it Monday... screen should be here next week. My first projector I'm pretty pumped

Jealous. Old pj sold and gone Friday, looking for a ES55 in stock anywhere w no luck yet.

Ian B
post #384 of 1596 Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Jealous. Old pj sold and gone Friday, looking for a ES55 in stock anywhere w no luck yet.

Ian B
I was told yesterday that mine won't ship till mid march. I ordered before christmas.

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #385 of 1596 Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvisneau View Post

I was told yesterday that mine won't ship till mid march. I ordered before christmas.

That's crazy. I would cancel and look so,we here else. The discount may not be worth a three month wait.

Good luck,

Ian B
post #386 of 1596 Old 01-19-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvisneau View Post

That is a long wait.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #387 of 1596 Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

That is a long wait.
Ya mid march is the wost case, They said possibly mid Feb. Hope my 1080ub makes it.

My sono build

Xbl- chief vizzy

post #388 of 1596 Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's crazy. I would cancel and look so,we here else. The discount may not be worth a three month wait.

Good luck,
$1000 dollar discount may be worth it.

Ian B

My sono build

Xbl- chief vizzy

post #389 of 1596 Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I guess I got lucky then. My dealer was about to put this one up in the display room but said if I wanted it I could have it. I hope you guys don't have to wait until mid March.
post #390 of 1596 Old 01-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

"Sony said that it's a limited unit and will be so through march". From projector people.

My sono build

Xbl- chief vizzy

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page