post #541 of 1369 Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdehoff View Post

All:

So the question is, do any of you have any similar experience with power or do you just put a power conditioner on the projector and call it good?

Paranoid I'm going to trash my new toy - let me know what you all think

I just bought this $60 UPS for mine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019804U8/. It doesn't "condition" the power, but it does have some surge protection. More importantly, it gives me time to shut down the lamp slowly if there's a power failure. I've had brownouts or blackouts several times while watching movies with my old PJ, and every time I cringed knowing that my bulb was aging prematurely, or worse might blow up and kill my projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1369 Old 02-05-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post

This is how I remember my friends HW50. You had to walk up to it to hear the fans running....unlike mine frown.gif

I'd go so far as to say I wouldn't even know it was turning off if it wasn't for hearing the solenoid click after the bulb cools.
magicj1 likes this.
post #543 of 1369 Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Just picked up my replace projector today keep your fingers crossed for me.
post #544 of 1369 Old 02-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post

Just picked up my replace projector today keep your fingers crossed for me.

Will do!!

No problems on mine so far (knock on wood)...
Ediddy likes this.
post #545 of 1369 Old 02-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Buddy of mine needs the mounting screw size for this pj, anyone know?

Tia,

Ian B
post #546 of 1369 Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

What settings are people using for Reality Creation, Noise filtering, NR, MPEG NR, motion enhancer, film mode, HDMI dynamic range, Advancd Iris,

There seems to be a lot of "other" settings. Reality creation I find between 12-20 seem pretty good. just not sure what to do on other settings? I've turned off motion enhancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

People on here never ever ever help with settings on here unfortunately:)

bump smile.gif
post #547 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 05:27 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

What settings are people using for Reality Creation, Noise filtering, NR, MPEG NR, motion enhancer, film mode, HDMI dynamic range, Advancd Iris,

There seems to be a lot of "other" settings. Reality creation I find between 12-20 seem pretty good. just not sure what to do on other settings? I've turned off motion enhancer.

Gadgetfreaky,
My experience so far has been:
For RC, I initially set both settings at 20 as that seemed to be the common recommendation. Worked fine and looked great for Bluray but was too much for DVD in my opinion. Currently have it set at 10 for resolution and Min for the other setting (forgot what it is called).
Iris: I have a fully dark room so have set to Auto limited on top of the 'reference' default mode. I will switch to 'Game' for watching sports like the Superbowl with the lights on.
I have not played much with the noise reduction settings. Most of those, I've driven from the source.
gadgetfreaky and Aetali like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #548 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 AM

Just unboxed my new replacement projector and before I mounted it I powered it up and first I connected it to my PS3 pictured showed up instantly. I then connected it to my OPPO103 picture showed up instantly. I'm going to mount it tonight and finally enjoy my Sony. Damn I'm excited
Craig Peer likes this.
post #549 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Finally Ediddy am glad you got a working pj. Got to watch Finding Nemo and Pacific Rim both in 3d to get a jaw dropping experience w the pj.

Ian B
post #550 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Just unboxed my new replacement projector and before I mounted it I powered it up and first I connected it to my PS3 pictured showed up instantly. I then connected it to my OPPO103 picture showed up instantly. I'm going to mount it tonight and finally enjoy my Sony. Damn I'm excited

Don't be plugging / unplugging HDMI cables with the projector and source devices turned on - that is generally not a good thing to do. Not sure that is what you did ( it sounds like it ). You can fry electronics that way. Just saying.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #551 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Are these (Samsung SSG-5100GB 3D Active Glasses ) compatible with the 55es? And if so, do they work well and are they comfortable? The glasses that came with the 55es work well, but are quite heavy and hurt a bit towards the end of a movie.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-5100GB-3D-Active-Glasses/dp/B00BIP816Q/ref=pd_ybh_6
post #552 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Samsung SSG-5100GB glasses are RF, you would need to pick up the RF emitter for the Sony 55 to make them work, but I hear that is a good thing to do anyway. The downside is most projectors don't support IR and RF at the same time (I don't know if the sony does), so your current glasses probably won't work at the same time.
post #553 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Advice (off-the-clif-pushing) requested...

So...

A new 55ES @ $3500 or a B-stock 50ES @ $2500?

I know I don't get a voucher for a bulb with the 50ES, so that makes the difference in price between $700 and $800.

My question for everyone here... does that saving's make it a no-brainer to go with the 50, or should I up-swing for the 55?

I really wanted RF eyewear mostly because I hear that some of the eyewear is better (more light). But since the Sony doesn't provide the cable or the RF emiter for the US market I'm wondering how easy that would be to realize anyway. And I've heard that Monster has and IR-to-RF adaptor with an eyewear bundle, and I'm wondering if that might bring the advantage of improved eyewear to the 50? Or should I just enjoy the PS3 glasses (affordable) for the 50ES and be done?

Is the improvement in RC and brightness on the 55 really worth the cost difference in this case?

I will be shelf-mouning behind the sofa onto a HP screen so I'm assuming the 50 will give me plenty of brightness in 3D.

Your advice is welcome!

dave

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #554 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 05:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Advice (off-the-clif-pushing) requested...

So...

A new 55ES @ $3500 or a B-stock 50ES @ $2500?

I know I don't get a voucher for a bulb with the 50ES, so that makes the difference in price between $700 and $800.

My question for everyone here... does that saving's make it a no-brainer to go with the 50, or should I up-swing for the 55?

I really wanted RF eyewear mostly because I hear that some of the eyewear is better (more light). But since the Sony doesn't provide the cable or the RF emiter for the US market I'm wondering how easy that would be to realize anyway. And I've heard that Monster has and IR-to-RF adaptor with an eyewear bundle, and I'm wondering if that might bring the advantage of improved eyewear to the 50? Or should I just enjoy the PS3 glasses (affordable) for the 50ES and be done?

Is the improvement in RC and brightness on the 55 really worth the cost difference in this case?

I will be shelf-mouning behind the sofa onto a HP screen so I'm assuming the 50 will give me plenty of brightness in 3D.

Your advice is welcome!

dave

How about a B stock 95es for $2899?

Mike from AVS has them.
post #555 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlst101 View Post

How about a B stock 95es for $2899?

Mike from AVS has them.

Thanks for the input. I'm not well versed in the virtues of the 95ES. Can you comment on PQ advantages over the 50ES? How does 3D quality compare?

Thanks!

post #556 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Don't be plugging / unplugging HDMI cables with the projector and source devices turned on - that is generally not a good thing to do. Not sure that is what you did ( it sounds like it ). You can fry electronics that way. Just saying.

No I didn't do that I turned them on and off before I unplugged each device. Once I set it up everything will flow through my integra. Thanks for the advice
post #557 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

Finally Ediddy am glad you got a working pj. Got to watch Finding Nemo and Pacific Rim both in 3d to get a jaw dropping experience w the pj.

Ian B

Thanks Ian B... I'll order them today .... So excited
post #558 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

This is CRITICAL with HDMI (and DVI) since it is not isolated. Even though there is some transient suppression, it isn't all that beefy. Most of its caused by a ground current which creates a fly-back voltage when disconnected. Depending upon the length of cable and the ground difference, this flyback can overwhelm the suppression and cause it to fail. The HDMI spec is a bit "week" in that department. But that is a penalty you pay for having that kind of bandwidth for pennies on the dollar. Peter or Paul...one of them gets robbed.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #559 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the input. I'm not well versed in the virtues of the 95ES. Can you comment on PQ advantages over the 50ES? How does 3D quality compare?

Thanks!

I believe the 95 has a better lens, the lens is also motorized. I'm not sure about the 3d. maybe some others that are more qualified than I can chime in.
post #560 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 225
The lens in the 95ES is in the same league as the JVCs so you can expect a more naturally sharp looking image. From a 3D perspective you can expect the 50/55ES to be better for 3D. Thanks to the lamp modulation it can produce a brighter image over the 95ES which should help the overall experience. Crosstalk and flicker should be on the same level though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #561 of 1369 Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Bulb life is much longer on the 55 than either of the other two, plus there were improvements in other areas. I wouldn't consider either of those choices myself.
2000-3000 hours on the HW50 and 95. 5000 hours on the HW55. When you consider the free bulb with a new one it really isn't too close. If you aren't interested in 3D and are very fussy about image quality the 95 would be tempting for the better lens. That is a really good price.
post #562 of 1369 Old 02-07-2014, 12:05 AM

Hey,

I got the HW55es the other day and I love the picture quality and depth /contrast.

I have one issue though,

The first thing i plugged into it was my blueray, it was Djagno Unchained @ 24 f/ps and the motion was slightly juddery - someone in the room pointed it out!.

I could then see it in quite a few places.

We then watched Eragon on Sky HD and it seemed that when the character moved vertically on the screen a digital judder would appear where the character and his hair would skip a few frames or some kind of digital catch up was taking place.

I was very worried for a while and then I found "Film mode" on the Expert settings on the projector picture menu and in some circumstances it sorted out the problem. I believe this setting adjusts how the projector deals with different video modes such as 24p, 2;3 pull down and progressive etc. (my knowledge mostly stops there)

Anyway, I put this setting onto "Auto2" which seems to be ok for the majority. I've moved from a DLP projector, is there a known issue with motion on DILA projectors and has me setting film mode to "Auto2" or ""off" meant that I'm sacrificing original image motion quality? Is there an inherent problem dealing with 24p. could i be doing something wrong ?

In fact I'm still seeing motion judder mainly on white objects mainly when a pan takes place frown.gif

I've tried the motionflow feature and I would not be interested in using that as it looks so artificial.

I really appreciate your support with this.

Kind Regards,
Allan
post #563 of 1369 Old 02-07-2014, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like if 3d matters to me the 50/55 is better than the 95.

I've read that for good 3d you can't let the bulb age to full spec because ghosting gets worse so not sure if the extra hours of the 55 will benefit me. Thoughts?

post #564 of 1369 Old 02-07-2014, 05:27 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Sounds like if 3d matters to me the 50/55 is better than the 95.

I've read that for good 3d you can't let the bulb age to full spec because ghosting gets worse so not sure if the extra hours of the 55 will benefit me. Thoughts?

zombie thinks that the Epson 5030 is better at 3D. See his comments in the shootout thread.

post #565 of 1369 Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmavs View Post

zombie thinks that the Epson 5030 is better at 3D. See his comments in the shootout thread.

That is what he indicated. However, if 3D is paramount, then none of them are good enough.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #566 of 1369 Old 02-07-2014, 06:18 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

That is what he indicated. However, if 3D is paramount, then none of them are good enough.

Agreed.

David needs to decide what his requirements are. Unfortunately at this stage there is no perfect solution. A comment that is frequently used is "pick your poison". Make a list of your requirements and constraints (budget, room, screen size...) and you'll have the answer wink.gif

post #567 of 1369 Old 02-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

I bought the 55es because of reviews stating it was a great all around pj. 3d was the least important factor in my buying decision. I don't have a 3d tv and never cared to get one. With that said, since it came with the glasses, I decided to check it out. We watched Star Trek Into the Darkness. I thought it was fantastic. So much better than the 3d you would see at the theater. Didn't notice any ghosting but then again, I don't have a lot of experience in what to look for...which is probably a good thing.

Bottom line is with everything this pj has to offer, if it fits in your budget, you will find yourself smiling often, no matter what the content, as long as it is a good source.
DaViD Boulet likes this.
post #568 of 1369 Old 02-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielragostar View Post

Hey,

I got the HW55es the other day and I love the picture quality and depth /contrast.

I have one issue though,

The first thing i plugged into it was my blueray, it was Djagno Unchained @ 24 f/ps and the motion was slightly juddery - someone in the room pointed it out!.

I could then see it in quite a few places.

We then watched Eragon on Sky HD and it seemed that when the character moved vertically on the screen a digital judder would appear where the character and his hair would skip a few frames or some kind of digital catch up was taking place.

I was very worried for a while and then I found "Film mode" on the Expert settings on the projector picture menu and in some circumstances it sorted out the problem. I believe this setting adjusts how the projector deals with different video modes such as 24p, 2;3 pull down and progressive etc. (my knowledge mostly stops there)

Anyway, I put this setting onto "Auto2" which seems to be ok for the majority. I've moved from a DLP projector, is there a known issue with motion on DILA projectors and has me setting film mode to "Auto2" or ""off" meant that I'm sacrificing original image motion quality? Is there an inherent problem dealing with 24p. could i be doing something wrong ?

In fact I'm still seeing motion judder mainly on white objects mainly when a pan takes place frown.gif

I've tried the motionflow feature and I would not be interested in using that as it looks so artificial.

I really appreciate your support with this.

Kind Regards,
Allan

Without going into the CMS, to get me going I set up with these 'Basic' settings Allan, and so far no judder for me.

Sonypicturesettings.PNG 16k .PNG file
Attached Images
File Type: png Sonypicturesettings.PNG (15.5 KB, 73 views)
post #569 of 1369 Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

I bought the 55es because of reviews stating it was a great all around pj. 3d was the least important factor in my buying decision. I don't have a 3d tv and never cared to get one. With that said, since it came with the glasses, I decided to check it out. We watched Star Trek Into the Darkness. I thought it was fantastic. So much better than the 3d you would see at the theater. Didn't notice any ghosting but then again, I don't have a lot of experience in what to look for...which is probably a good thing.

Bottom line is with everything this pj has to offer, if it fits in your budget, you will find yourself smiling often, no matter what the content, as long as it is a good source.

I agree.

I had no interest in 3D until getting my 55. Last weekend I picked up 2 extra pairs of glasses off ebay smile.gif
post #570 of 1369 Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post

I agree.

I had no interest in 3D until getting my 55. Last weekend I picked up 2 extra pairs of glasses off ebay smile.gif

Cool. Which glasses did you get?

I want to get the RF transmitter and hopefully the $19 Samsung glasses on Amazon if they will work with it, but I can't find the RF transmitter (TMR-RF1)! It's not even listed on the Sony site:confused:
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page