Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #901 of 1341 Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Has anyone mounted a UH480 Panamorph anamorphic lens to the Sony HW55?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1341 Old 04-09-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Has anyone mounted a UH480 Panamorph anamorphic lens to the Sony HW55?

Why do you ask. It certainly works. Are you talking fixed in place, manual slide or powered slide?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #903 of 1341 Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Why do you ask. It certainly works. Are you talking fixed in place, manual slide or powered slide?

Manual slide...
post #904 of 1341 Old 04-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi,

I thought this projector included a coupon/voucher for an extra lamp? I just received the unit, and there is no coupon anywhere in the box. Can anyone please clarify?

Thanks.
post #905 of 1341 Old 04-09-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

Hi,

I thought this projector included a coupon/voucher for an extra lamp? I just received the unit, and there is no coupon anywhere in the box. Can anyone please clarify?

Thanks.

Voucher should be in the plastic bag with all of the paper work.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #906 of 1341 Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Voucher should be in the plastic bag with all of the paper work.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked for a third time. The only paperwork I received in the bag was the product manual and 3D glasses instructions. There was also a warranty paper taped to the projector wrapping...
post #907 of 1341 Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I had a voucher in mine- it was with the owners manual in the plastic bag. I already ordered the replacement lamp- cost $5.03 for shipping.... smile.gif
post #908 of 1341 Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked for a third time. The only paperwork I received in the bag was the product manual and 3D glasses instructions. There was also a warranty paper taped to the projector wrapping...

Just received my HW55 and unboxed it last night. I'm also missing the coupon/voucher for the extra lamp. I'm seeing the same documents as jcm2128, but nothing else.
Mike: any thoughts on what we should do?
post #909 of 1341 Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnewt View Post

Just received my HW55 and unboxed it last night. I'm also missing the coupon/voucher for the extra lamp. I'm seeing the same documents as jcm2128, but nothing else.
Mike: any thoughts on what we should do?

Sony has a check list on the vouchers. It is tied to the serial number of your projector. If purchased from us and you do not have the voucher, send me an email, letting me know and include the serial number of your projector.

post #910 of 1341 Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 AM

Liked: 11
Finally placed my order today for the 55.

I simply can't wait. Was unable to purchase the Wireless HDMI transmitter as it hasn't been certified in South Africa yet frown.gif

Roughly 2-3weeks wait till it arrives.

Thanks to all the guys that have given awesome information re the projector as well as comparing back to a VW60 for me.

The long wait begins biggrin.gif
post #911 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Liked: 10

Hello,

I'm new here but I have had my Hw55ES for a month now and about 80hours on it. It just blew my mind at the moment when i fired it up. It's really quiet (compared to my old viewsonic data projector) - well almost inaudible compared to that one ;). Image is bright and vibrant. Only complains that i have are that 3D movies have cross talk (I'm not big fan of em anyway, and 3D is still OK). The second thing I'm still trying to solve and which bothers me occasionally is that image seems to stutter here and there in fast panning scenes. I think that's just my eyes that can easily spot flicker issues. But yeah the projector itself does not flicker unless you select the film mode (which in my case is forbidden mode - nightmare flicker, like strobos in disco). Please someone tell me if you have watched Elysium on this device is there scenes that are unwatchable (for example the last fighting scene with high contrast, bright lights, freehand camera and extremely fast movement) Movie begins with awesome panning scenes, where I tested the motion enhancement options and had outcome that low or off settings are the best. Or is it some of my other hardware that makes the image go nuts (haven't tried BD-player straight to the projector)? Or is that movie meant to be watched on screens smaller than 50" ;)

omiZ

Ok, never mind found this review of the movie and it explains alot:

http://scottsigler.com/elysium-review/

BTW laughed my ass off ;) just by the relief that I'm no alone with this thought!

post #912 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Got my 55 hooked up last night. Amazing. Just what I was looking for. I have a Vutec Silverstar 6 gain screen. 3D is very bright. Perhaps a bit brighter than my Epson 5010 in 3D cinema mode. The Epson's 3D Dynamic is brighter, but fan noise becomes an issue so I never used it. My bigger issue was 2D brighness being too much with the Epson. I thought Sonys limited dynamic Iris would help, but it turns out I just shut the manual iris down to it's min level and it is still a bit on the bright side, but looks really great. I sit at 7' from my 120" screen and SDE was a problem with the Epson. The Sony is perfect from here. You can see SDE closer than my Panny 2000 with its Smoothscreen, but from sitting distance it is perfect. Sharpness is not even close, the Sony is far better.
Watching Hobbit Smaug 3D disc 2(since my copy came with two disk 2s and no disk 1 frown.gif , I turned motionflow on and it looks amazing. Much like the HFR iMax version I love. Kung Fu panda was amazing too.
I did notice the ghosting was worse than the Epson. Then it was much worse. Then it was gone. Hmm. I then realized it varied by tiny movements of my head. If I moved my head just right and held perfectly still it was fine. The glasses are horrible. I was really hoping the Epson glasses would work with it but no go. I dug out my PS3 glasses. They are almost identical to the Sony glasses. On my Epson the PS3 glasses were slightly dimmer but on the 55 they looked exactly the same, they seem a tiny bit more comfortable than the 55's though, and they didn't exhibit the movement ghosting issue. Honestly what was Sony thinking with the glasses. The PS3 Glasses were the worst I have tried (at least 8 different kinds now), and the 55s glasses are worse yet. My nose hurts still the next day. Luckily I have a solution for that incoming.
post #913 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

About the AD025-RF-X1 Bluetooth situation:
I tried to order one from amazon Germany. No go on shipping. Then I saw one on Ebay for 275. Tempting.

Well, I emailed XPAND themselves. I didn't really dream of getting a response. Well, shockingly, they responded very quickly. I explained the situation. As you may know, Sony sources the RF(Bluetooth) emitters from XPAND for sales in Europe. Well, since the cable doesn't come with the projector here, (I assume Sony is too busy building PS4s to worry about this) The XPAND rep said what they can do is source the cable from Sony for sales here. He said they will have a combo on their site eventually with the Sony overpriced adapter cable and their Emitter. In the mean time he sold me a Emitter directly for $195 (+tax/shipping). I ordered the cable from Sony parts (for a crazy 75 bucks) and it shipped 3 hours later. :O I was surprised a 75 buck 6 inch cable wasn't labeled "Monster", but oh well.

XPAND awesome rep (he said I could post his email) (don't ask me to pronounce his last name):
David Chechelashvili [mailto:david.chechelashvili@xpandcinema.com]

Sony overpriced cable (David verified from Sony that this is the correct cable):
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-part-number-184805211.aspx

I ordered a pair of the XPAND and Samsung Bluetooth glasses to compare.
I then ordered the projector from Mike at AVScience smile.gif

I wasn't going to post this before testing it, but I hate to see anyone buy those horrible Sony glasses. I know the upfront cost is a bit steep, but the Samsung glasses are 19 bucks and weigh only 23 grams. Plus, clearly Bluetooth is the future. It is sad Optoma is using a different RF method. The XPAND glasses are very stylish and comfortable too. Just waiting on the emitter to show up before testing.
DaViD Boulet and pheroy like this.
post #914 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

About the AD025-RF-X1 Bluetooth situation:
I tried to order one from amazon Germany. No go on shipping. Then I saw one on Ebay for 275. Tempting.

Well, I emailed XPAND themselves. I didn't really dream of getting a response. Well, shockingly, they responded very quickly. I explained the situation. As you may know, Sony sources the RF(Bluetooth) emitters from XPAND for sales in Europe. Well, since the cable doesn't come with the projector here, (I assume Sony is too busy building PS4s to worry about this) The XPAND rep said what they can do is source the cable from Sony for sales here. He said they will have a combo on their site eventually with the Sony overpriced adapter cable and their Emitter. In the mean time he sold me a Emitter directly for $195 (+tax/shipping). I ordered the cable from Sony parts (for a crazy 75 bucks) and it shipped 3 hours later. :O I was surprised a 75 buck 6 inch cable wasn't labeled "Monster", but oh well.

XPAND awesome rep (he said I could post his email) (don't ask me to pronounce his last name):
David Chechelashvili [mailto:david.chechelashvili@xpandcinema.com]

Sony overpriced cable (David verified from Sony that this is the correct cable):
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-part-number-184805211.aspx

I ordered a pair of the XPAND and Samsung Bluetooth glasses to compare.
I then ordered the projector from Mike at AVScience smile.gif

I wasn't going to post this before testing it, but I hate to see anyone buy those horrible Sony glasses. I know the upfront cost is a bit steep, but the Samsung glasses are 19 bucks and weigh only 23 grams. Plus, clearly Bluetooth is the future. It is sad Optoma is using a different RF method. The XPAND glasses are very stylish and comfortable too. Just waiting on the emitter to show up before testing.

Thanks for posting all the info you have found out as you go, it is very helpful to the rest of us. I am surprised this much effort is having to be put in to get information. I wish a vendor would step up and figure out solution for the people not getting a cable in the box, hopefully xpand can help us fill the gap.
DaViD Boulet likes this.
post #915 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I can see why sony left it out. It saves them 75 bucks rolleyes.gif
post #916 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 278
that's some good homework there, nice. so the cable from Sony has to be a 3 Pin VESA -> Sony RJ45 adapter.

I was thinking of trying the same thing on the VW1100 since I like the new open frame TDG-BT500A Sony RF glasses.
post #917 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm curious to see what that cable looks like when it arrives. One of the german companies was selling the X-pand sender + this converter

adapter.jpg
post #918 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The 1100 is RF from the factory, is it not?
post #919 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, it is much simpler than that. Just a short straight cable.
post #920 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

they didn't include the RF sender in the VW1100 like they did with the VW500/600.

In EU, they are listing the Xpand kit, but not showing the adapter. larger photos of the xpand adapter clearly show it's a 3 PIN vesa, so some type of converter must be used.

VW1100-access.jpg

great, now your going to make me spend some $$. cool.gif
post #921 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, yes, the sony cable is a short straight cable with rj45 on one end and 3 pin vesa on the other.
post #922 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Oh, yes, the sony cable is a short straight cable with rj45 on one end and 3 pin vesa on the other.

In Asia, this is the included cable for the HW55ES.

post #923 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, that is the one.
post #924 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I did get my voucher too
post #925 of 1341 Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 PM

Liked: 14

Hi, everyone.  I need some help here.  I have put a deposit on the Sony 55ES and waiting for it to come in, but I'm still trying to sort out the 3D crosstalk issue.  I am only upgrading at this time to get 3D (since my epson TW-2000 works beautifully), but if the crosstalk on these current generations of LCD panel projectors is still problematic I am willing to wait a few years 'til they perfect them.  Here is what I need help with:

1. Are those people who are experiencing crosstalk watching 3D with the IR glasses? (When I demoed the Sony with IR, the connection kept dropping out and as soon as you lose that the picture looks ghosted.  So maybe what is perceived as crosstalk is actually rapid dropouts.  The projector was ceiling mounted and I was in front of the projector, but i couldn't maintain a signal connection for more that 15 seconds at a time.  Don't know how anyone is watching a whole movie with IR.  Don't know WHAT Sony was thinking putting IR on this projector when RF was available.)

2. Is anyone on these forums watching with RF glasses and do you see crosstalk?

3. Can you recommend any 3D movies with particularly bad crosstalk that I can use when I go back to demo the projector with the RF setup.  If 3D has consistent bad crosstalk I don't see any reason to upgrade at this time.   know the 2D picture quality will be a great improvement over the Epson, but the Epson is good enough until this ghosting is sorted out.

I would appreciate any and all feedback from you owners regarding crosstalk on this projector.  At the moment I am reading  contradictory statements in which one owner will say "I watched a 3D movie and it was brilliant, no crosstalk." and another will say "watched a 3D movie and crosstalk was so bad the movie was unwatchable."  What I need to know is what factors are making both statements true.

Is it the IR dropouts? Glasses and projector settings? Individual sensitivity? ( Although unlike rainbow sensitivity, I doubt there are different susceptibilities to crosstalk).

It's be great if some of you could do some tests with 3D movies and report your findings as the projector will probably be available in the next two weeks and I'll have to decide whether to take the Sony plunge.

Thanks, guys.

post #926 of 1341 Old 04-12-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

For me, with the stock glasses, crosstalk changed as I moved my head. If I held it just right crosstalk was not apparent at all, if I moved it, it was bad. I am sure this is where the varying reports come from. The PS3 glasses did not show crosstalk at all for me. 3D was brilliant and I loved it except for how uncomforable the Sony glasses are. The 55's and PS3 have almost the exact same design, and I like to call it "bad". People's noses vary of course, and some people like them. For me, my nose hurts still a day later. I have RF on it's way and will report back with my findings shortly. I did get the glasses in and the XPAND bluetooth glasses are comfortable and stylish. The Samsung's are astoundingly light, only 20 grams on my scale. Lighter than my Oakley sunglasses even. They don't have folding arms though. They remind me a lot of iMax 3D passive glasses.
kanerator likes this.
post #927 of 1341 Old 04-12-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:

For me, with the stock glasses, crosstalk changed as I moved my head. If I held it just right crosstalk was not apparent at all, if I moved it, it was bad. I am sure this is where the varying reports come from. The PS3 glasses did not show crosstalk at all for me. 3D was brilliant and I loved it except for how uncomforable the Sony glasses are. The 55's and PS3 have almost the exact same design, and I like to call it "bad". People's noses vary of course, and some people like them. For me, my nose hurts still a day later. I have RF on it's way and will report back with my findings shortly. I did get the glasses in and the XPAND bluetooth glasses are comfortable and stylish. The Samsung's are astoundingly light, only 20 grams on my scale. Lighter than my Oakley sunglasses even. They don't have folding arms though. They remind me a lot of iMax 3D passive glasses.

Yeh, these glasses are horrific! They are humongous i think they could even fit on hipster eyeglasses! And the reason they make ghosting is because they seem to be slightly more bent compared to other active shutter glasses (just my thought and conclusion and only diffrence I have spotted). Only positive thing about these glasses is that their battery life is really good =)

post #928 of 1341 Old 04-12-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanerator View Post

Hi, everyone.  I need some help here.  I have put a deposit on the Sony 55ES and waiting for it to come in, but I'm still trying to sort out the 3D crosstalk issue.  I am only upgrading at this time to get 3D (since my epson TW-2000 works beautifully), but if the crosstalk on these current generations of LCD panel projectors is still problematic I am willing to wait a few years 'til they perfect them.  Here is what I need help with:

1. Are those people who are experiencing crosstalk watching 3D with the IR glasses? (When I demoed the Sony with IR, the connection kept dropping out and as soon as you lose that the picture looks ghosted.  So maybe what is perceived as crosstalk is actually rapid dropouts.  The projector was ceiling mounted and I was in front of the projector, but i couldn't maintain a signal connection for more that 15 seconds at a time.  Don't know how anyone is watching a whole movie with IR.  Don't know WHAT Sony was thinking putting IR on this projector when RF was available.)

2. Is anyone on these forums watching with RF glasses and do you see crosstalk?

3. Can you recommend any 3D movies with particularly bad crosstalk that I can use when I go back to demo the projector with the RF setup.  If 3D has consistent bad crosstalk I don't see any reason to upgrade at this time.   know the 2D picture quality will be a great improvement over the Epson, but the Epson is good enough until this ghosting is sorted out.

I would appreciate any and all feedback from you owners regarding crosstalk on this projector.  At the moment I am reading  contradictory statements in which one owner will say "I watched a 3D movie and it was brilliant, no crosstalk." and another will say "watched a 3D movie and crosstalk was so bad the movie was unwatchable."  What I need to know is what factors are making both statements true.

Is it the IR dropouts? Glasses and projector settings? Individual sensitivity? ( Although unlike rainbow sensitivity, I doubt there are different susceptibilities to crosstalk).

It's be great if some of you could do some tests with 3D movies and report your findings as the projector will probably be available in the next two weeks and I'll have to decide whether to take the Sony plunge.

Thanks, guys.

1. It is not the ir drop out, ghosting is visible when you turn your head from side to side (the other side of the screen comes to focus and other loses focus) There is way better IR glasses on the market. I think that same goes with the RF glasses there is good and bad ones.

2. Haven't tried RF yet.

3. Jurassic Park 3D has great screens and then there is forrest.. forrest has the worst ghosting I have experienced with this projector.. but yeah there is ghosting in any movie you watch with the stock glasses.

I keep my glasses brightness slightly lowered (it helps to eliminate some of the ghosting but more effective is to turn your head around -> turn your head to spot that you want to be in focus ;)

Overall the image is bright and vibrant, I like it. But because my experience with these stock glasses I prefer 2D movies. My friends have been enjoying the 3D effect and some said that its even better than in some theaters.. so you have to see yourself ;)

post #929 of 1341 Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, my 3D effect is WAY better than theaters. I found one other problem with the 55 glasses, they are a good deal heavier than the PS3 glasses, why I can't imagine, the design is so close. I am sure the XPAND ir glasses would be a giant improvement over the PS3 glasses even. If I was sticking with IR I would pick up a pair of those to test with.
post #930 of 1341 Old 04-12-2014, 10:31 AM

I agree. The 3D on the 55 is amazing. I've had a 3d TV for a couple of years and used the 3D once or twice. it never immersed me in the movie and felt more of a gimmick than an experience. when I bought my HW55 I also purchased the RF emitter and 3 pairs of 3D glasses. All I can say is WOW. 3D is brilliant. Way better than the cinema and totally immersive. I have not experienced any cross talk or drop outs. I recently did a grey scale calibration using HCFR and an old i1 sensor and the picture improved greatly. I am awaiting delivery of a new sensor and a Lumagen mini 3D and can't wait to do a further calibration on this cracking projector.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page