Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
post #1231 of 1615 Old 06-25-2014, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
That's the lens my friends have and seems decent for the money. I was wondering if I would gain much by going with a better lens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1615 Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb View Post
That's the lens my friends have and seems decent for the money. I was wondering if I would gain much by going with a better lens.
You would, but of course there is that law of diminishing returns.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1233 of 1615 Old 06-27-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Got mine today and lots of favorable first impressions....

.....and I mean lots.

Having run through the setup patterns and demo material on both Spears & Munsil and DVE, I'm very pleased with this thing right out of the box. "Reference" mode is excellent, though I use it's twin in "User" and dialed back Reality Creation to 10. That and the Darbee at HD 45 make an outstanding couple.

I also have run a number of selected scenes from the lastest "Evil Dead" Bluray, which has lots of taxing material from a technical standpoint. The 55ES sailed through it beautifully.

My VW60 suffered the panel degradation issue, which in my case meant a purpleish tone to less than bright scenes. With the 55ES, there's only nice color and super blacks where there was trouble with the VW60.

The 55ES was recommended to me by one of the best calibrators touring the States. I'm told the panel degradation no longer exists with the Sony's, so I have high expecatations in that regard.

Pretty damned pleased right out of the gate. I suspect it won't be long before I take it for granted. That's a good thing.....it means my head won't be nitpicking.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #1234 of 1615 Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have a question for any that have installed the RF emitter and have a ceiling mounted HW55ES. How/where did you mount the RF emitter? Did you have any issues with any of these options?

1) located very close to the projector and mounted to ???
2) ethernet connected to projecter, then wired (in-wall) to a patch panel area (my situation), where you get the conversion (ethernet to rs232) cable to the emitter.
post #1235 of 1615 Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by btizzle View Post
Alright so after reading through a ton of pages of this thread, it seems like the best rf 3d glasses setup is the xpand transmitter with the samsung glasses..
Don't overlook the 3Active glasses from Dimensional Optics. They are a little heavier than the Samsungs but still very comfortable, plus they are rechargeable. They have a more traditional design that blocks more light from the sides, which can also be an advantage. The Samsungs are very light but to achieve that they have a pretty minimalist design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btizzle View Post
But it looks like I have to custom rig the transmitter together?? Can I buy it already setup from xpand?
They should be offering a bundle with the transmitter & adapter cable for Sony projectors soon. You can contact them via the website, or email David at XPAND - david.chechelashvili@xpandcinema.com.
post #1236 of 1615 Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched "Three Days To Kill", which while not a great movie, is a lot of eye candy, and finally got to see "The Desolation of Smaug" properly at home. My VW60 was so bad in dark scenes it was unwatchable.

Both were stunning to view on the 55ES.

While Reference mode is good right out of the box, the calibrator on Projectorreviews.com seems to have given a great combination to setup in the User profile. Here's what I've got now with his settings:

Contrast: 90
Brightness: 50
Color: 50
Tint: 50
Color Temp: Custom 1 (the review, I believe in error, says D65. That can't be because you can't make the Gain and Bias settings noted in D65 setting.)
Gain
Red = 3
Green = 0
Blue = 6

Bias
Red = 0
Green = 0
Blue = -3

Color Space: BT.709
Gamma Correction: Off
Iris: Off
RCP: Off

All the other stuff (motion flow, etc.): Off

I added Reality Creation at 10, and Darbee Darblet at HD45. At low levels, these two seem to play together very nicely.

Oh, and lamp setting High.

Very natural looking.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 06-28-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #1237 of 1615 Old 06-28-2014, 09:28 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by napa_newbie View Post
Have a question for any that have installed the RF emitter and have a ceiling mounted HW55ES. How/where did you mount the RF emitter? Did you have any issues with any of these options?

1) located very close to the projector and mounted to ???
2) ethernet connected to projecter, then wired (in-wall) to a patch panel area (my situation), where you get the conversion (ethernet to rs232) cable to the emitter.
I threw my xpand transmitter up into the ceiling and fished the cable down through my ceiling mount pipe...

Alternatively the xpand transmitter can rest on top of the projector if you want. Here it is shown sitting on a 55es in a German article about using the xpand unit with a 55es...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eb795a1b_IMG_5010 (Medium).jpeg
Views:	585
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	140778  
post #1238 of 1615 Old 06-29-2014, 03:30 PM

thanks Replay! That's exactly what I was looking for.
post #1239 of 1615 Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
How does the Reality Creation on this unit compare with the enhancement that the Darbee Darblet offers? Are they comparable?

What I'm trying to figure out is should I also purchase the Darblet to use in conjunction with this projector?

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
post #1240 of 1615 Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I feel like RC and Darbee are complimentary to each other. They both do something to the picture that to me..improves it. I would recommend using both. I run RC on low and Darbee around 45 on I think hd.
post #1241 of 1615 Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
.....and I mean lots.

Having run through the setup patterns and demo material on both Spears & Munsil and DVE, I'm very pleased with this thing right out of the box. "Reference" mode is excellent, though I use it's twin in "User" and dialed back Reality Creation to 10. That and the Darbee at HD 45 make an outstanding couple.

I also have run a number of selected scenes from the lastest "Evil Dead" Bluray, which has lots of taxing material from a technical standpoint. The 55ES sailed through it beautifully.

My VW60 suffered the panel degradation issue, which in my case meant a purpleish tone to less than bright scenes. With the 55ES, there's only nice color and super blacks where there was trouble with the VW60.

The 55ES was recommended to me by one of the best calibrators touring the States. I'm told the panel degradation no longer exists with the Sony's, so I have high expecatations in that regard.

Pretty damned pleased right out of the gate. I suspect it won't be long before I take it for granted. That's a good thing.....it means my head won't be nitpicking.
Glad you are enjoying your HW55. It's a great projector !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #1242 of 1615 Old 07-02-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Glad you are enjoying your HW55. It's a great projector !
And thanks to you and AVS for all the good service on the front side of the deal!

See ya. Dave

post #1243 of 1615 Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post
How does the Reality Creation on this unit compare with the enhancement that the Darbee Darblet offers? Are they comparable?

What I'm trying to figure out is should I also purchase the Darblet to use in conjunction with this projector?
I had the Darbee prior to buying the 55ES, but I found combining the two to be better than either one alone. To me, RC sharpens the overall image and Darbee enhances select parts of the image based upon perameters set.

However, you have to keep both at lower levels than you might seperately. I am enjoying RC at 10 and the Darbee at HD45. I used to run the Darbee at HD55 with my previous projector.

See ya. Dave

post #1244 of 1615 Old 07-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is anyone controlling the 55 via the RS232 input?
post #1245 of 1615 Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
Is anyone controlling the 55 via the RS232 input?
Sure, I'm using iRule and I've shared my info over in the Remote Code Area iRule thread
iRule

jidelite
post #1246 of 1615 Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post
Sure, I'm using iRule and I've shared my info over in the Remote Code Area iRule thread
iRule

jidelite

Great, it's iRule I'm trying to use. I have an Glodal Cache IP2SL, set the Baud rate to 38400. Using an RS232 Null modem cable which has the attached Pin layout. Tried using the 'Device' codes off the iRule Builder to no avail. Can I ask which device, cable and settings you have used please. Is there a setting within the Sony menu I need to select?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	147298   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS232 iRule.PNG
Views:	32
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	147306  

Last edited by magicj1; 07-03-2014 at 11:32 PM.
post #1247 of 1615 Old 07-04-2014, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
Great, it's iRule I'm trying to use. I have an Glodal Cache IP2SL, set the Baud rate to 38400. Using an RS232 Null modem cable which has the attached Pin layout. Tried using the 'Device' codes off the iRule Builder to no avail. Can I ask which device, cable and settings you have used please. Is there a setting within the Sony menu I need to select?
magicj1, using the IP2SL like you...looks like you have everything right except you need to set the Parity to EVEN in the IP2SL...

jidelite
post #1248 of 1615 Old 07-04-2014, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post
magicj1, using the IP2SL like you...looks like you have everything right except you need to set the Parity to EVEN in the IP2SL...

jidelite
Thanks jidelite, I will give this a go.
post #1249 of 1615 Old 07-06-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The ES55 continues to impress me and others who have viewed it here.

I just finished "Lone Survivor" on Bluray, and as grisly as war is, the picture was stunning with the settings I have in USER that I mentioned in a previous post. The colors and detail are excellent.

As far as the black level goes, it too is excellent. After watching "Dead Silence" (a favorite scary movie of mine on HDDVD) and "Live At The Max", The Rolling Stones (Bluray), I was quite impressed with both the black level and detail in dark areas. Is it as dark as the border of my Carada screen or my Protostar masking panels? Of course not. But very black, and just like the rest of the picture elements, to the level where one can admire it if one wants, but it's very easy to just sit back and enjoy the film.

The only downside I can think of here in my first 20 hours, and this isn't my first projector, would be for my Calibrator, (who recommended the ES55) whose services may not be needed, at least as long as nothing shifts or changes in the projectors performance. Today, I wouldn't change a setting from the way it stands.

I've seen 4K demoed on a Sony 1100, and it's pretty with 4K content. But honestly, with RC and Darbee dialed in well, I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel here at home on 118 inches diagonal.
Scarriere likes this.

See ya. Dave

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 07-06-2014 at 09:27 AM.
post #1250 of 1615 Old 07-06-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jive,

Just curious, what's your seating distance from your 118" screen?

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
post #1251 of 1615 Old 07-06-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
hi jive,

just curious, what's your seating distance from your 118" screen?
13'-3".

See ya. Dave

post #1252 of 1615 Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
13'-3".
Nice. I'm asking because I'll have a dedicated HT soon (we're building a home and it'll be done in September). My seating distance will be around 13', too.

I'm debating whether to go for 118" versus 126" screen (I already know I'll be going with Carada Criterion BW).

Do you think you could get away with 126" from your distance? Or would that be "too big"?

Thanks!

post #1253 of 1615 Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nice. I'm asking because I'll have a dedicated HT soon (we're building a home and it'll be done in September). My seating distance will be around 13', too.

I'm debating whether to go for 118" versus 126" screen (I already know I'll be going with Carada Criterion BW).

Do you think you could get away with 126" from your distance? Or would that be "too big"?

Thanks!
https://docs.sony.com/release/VPLHW55ES.pdf

I suspect the 126" will be fine, but based on what I see on my Carada BW, I think the 118" (16x9) at 13'+ is just about perfect.

See ya. Dave

post #1254 of 1615 Old 07-07-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
https://docs.sony.com/release/VPLHW55ES.pdf

I suspect the 126" will be fine, but based on what I see on my Carada BW, I think the 118" (16x9) at 13'+ is just about perfect.

The 118" is about 1.5 screen widths viewing. The 126" is 1.4 screen widths. If you like to sit real close the 126" will work. I would probably do the 118".

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1255 of 1615 Old 07-08-2014, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
I had the Darbee prior to buying the 55ES, but I found combining the two to be better than either one alone. To me, RC sharpens the overall image and Darbee enhances select parts of the image based upon perameters set.

However, you have to keep both at lower levels than you might seperately. I am enjoying RC at 10 and the Darbee at HD45. I used to run the Darbee at HD55 with my previous projector.

If I purchase a Darbee Darblet, is there an advantage if I locate it at the AVR or Projector?
I don't know if it's true but while searching I read some place that it's better to locate it at the projector, but I don't understand why if I will be using High Speed HDMI cables with Redmere technology. I have one 6' and one 30'.

-Tom

Last edited by Tom899; 07-08-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #1256 of 1615 Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
If I purchase a Darbee Darblet, is there an advantage if I locate it at the AVR or Projector?
I don't know if it's true but while searching I read some place that it's better to locate it at the projector, but I don't understand why if I will be using High Speed HDMI cables with Redmere technology. I have one 6' and one 30'.
The HDMI repeater in the Darbee is not real strong. That is why it is better to locate the Darbee at the projector. We have these in stock.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1257 of 1615 Old 07-08-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Close to the projector (or TV) is what I've seen suggested for the most part. I like mine between the receiver output and the projector so it's applied globally to all sources.

See ya. Dave

post #1258 of 1615 Old 07-09-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Thank you Mike and Dave,

-Tom
post #1259 of 1615 Old 07-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New construction house with a 15'x64' rec room in the basement. HT is far end 15'x25' with a 9'x12'x12" rise/platform starting 11' from front wall. Building a 9.2 system with a 130" fixed screen. I'm looking to buy the 55ES mounted 18' from front wall/screen. Any recommendation with the installation of the 55ES and what screen works well with projector. Besides watching movies, I'm a big sports watcher (DirecTV & football package). Any recommendation would be helpful, I'm slowly reading through the long thread.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
post #1260 of 1615 Old 07-11-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udtsealeod View Post
New construction house with a 15'x64' rec room in the basement. HT is far end 15'x25' with a 9'x12'x12" rise/platform starting 11' from front wall. Building a 9.2 system with a 130" fixed screen. I'm looking to buy the 55ES mounted 18' from front wall/screen. Any recommendation with the installation of the 55ES and what screen works well with projector. Besides watching movies, I'm a big sports watcher (DirecTV & football package). Any recommendation would be helpful, I'm slowly reading through the long thread.

There are quite a few different screens that work well - sort of depends on your room, whether it's dark, etc. !

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page