post #1291 of 1617 Old 07-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post
magicj1, I created a generic 'null' cable so I used all the pins in my adapters (in case I had to use the adapters in another application). However, I believe the HW55ES (like the Hw50ES) only uses the TxD,RxD, & Ground as you specified.

jidelite
Thanks. I will make my own cable 'simple null modem cable'. Failing this, my next plan is to use an old PC I have which has a RS232 COM port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1617 Old 07-26-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post
Does the use of extreme lens shift (all the way down) negatively impact/degrade picture quality?

Meaning if I have to use the extreme lens shift to bring the image down to completely fit the screen, is it better to just buy an extension for my mount and not use any lens shift at all?
Yes, extreme use of lens shift will degrade the picture. Yes, you should buy the drop tube needed to get the lens as close to the top of the image as you can. Only way, to not use any lens shift is to mount the projector, dead center of your screen. That is not practical for most people.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1293 of 1617 Old 07-26-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Yes, extreme use of lens shift will degrade the picture. Yes, you should buy the drop tube needed to get the lens as close to the top of the image as you can. Only way, to not use any lens shift is to mount the projector, dead center of your screen. That is not practical for most people.
How do I know when the lens shift as at a "neutral"/centered position?
post #1294 of 1617 Old 07-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Jhaj View Post
Lens shift is neutral when the PJ is centered vertically with the screen. How far you can go before it's a problem depends on the model. Generally even with the top of the screen is a sort of "standard", but I think that's just because there are so many models where that's the limit. I try to stay comfortably away from the PJ' slimits when it comes to vertical lens shifts, of throw ranges for that matter. Unles there's an anamorphic lens involved, then that needs to be considered.
post #1295 of 1617 Old 07-27-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Jhaj View Post
Zero lens shift with the Sony HW55ES is centered horizontally and vertically with the screen. A lens is usually polished best in the center. That is the sweet spot of a lens and that is why the image thrown when shooting through the center is considered best. As you get closer to the edges of the lens (more lens shift), the image may not be as good. A lot of it depends on the quality of the lens and the size of the lens. A larger lens will have a larger sweet spot and usually will not degrade the image as much.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1296 of 1617 Old 08-07-2014, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the likelihood of a successor to the HW55 being announced at CEDIA or one of the other shows in September? Haven't heard any rumours but might have missed something. Not sure whether it's worth waiting a couple of months to see if something new is announced, if only because HW55 prices might reduce. But I'd rather jump in now if it's unlikely.
post #1297 of 1617 Old 08-07-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllogistic View Post
What's the likelihood of a successor to the HW55 being announced at CEDIA or one of the other shows in September? Haven't heard any rumours but might have missed something. Not sure whether it's worth waiting a couple of months to see if something new is announced, if only because HW55 prices might reduce. But I'd rather jump in now if it's unlikely.
Since they have replaced the entry level Sony every year for the last few years, I would think that it would be replaced again this year. Give us a call and we can discuss.

post #1298 of 1617 Old 08-07-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks Mike but I'm not in the US unfortunately! It would just be nice to know if it's going to be a major update or something more incremental like the 50 to the 55. Might be smart to wait but I have no TV / projector at all at the moment and even if something new is announced in September it probably won't be out here in Aus till the new year. Plus it doesn't seem like the 50 was discounted much over here when the 55 came out either. Then again, maybe JVC comes out with an update to the X35 with lower input lag etc and better contrast performance than the HW55. Decisions, decisions...
post #1299 of 1617 Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllogistic View Post
Thanks Mike but I'm not in the US unfortunately! It would just be nice to know if it's going to be a major update or something more incremental like the 50 to the 55. Might be smart to wait but I have no TV / projector at all at the moment and even if something new is announced in September it probably won't be out here in Aus till the new year. Plus it doesn't seem like the 50 was discounted much over here when the 55 came out either. Then again, maybe JVC comes out with an update to the X35 with lower input lag etc and better contrast performance than the HW55. Decisions, decisions...
I would think that it would be incremental, but I am just guessing here.

post #1300 of 1617 Old 08-08-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
stewart filmscreen firehawk with Sony hw55es

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshcm View Post
What screen is everyone using for the 55? Mine shipped in this week and I have started the process of picking out a screen. I am in a 18x14 room, seating 1st row will be 12' back with bar seating at 14-15' back. Projector will be mounted around 14-15' back, and the light is controllable in the room. The room is painted dark flat grey, but I do have white air vents on the ceiling that may need to be painted. I still would like to be able to watch with some light for sporting events and get togethers. Screen size will be 120 diagonal 16:9.

Mike from AVS recommended the Carada, and the SI performance. I am not too thrilled with the price of the SI. but wondered what everyone else has decided on.
I have a room that is light controlled, but I will have some ambient light as it is not a dedicated theater. Craig at AVS recommended that I go with the stewart filmscreen firehawk ls to go with my Sony 55. I trust his recommendation.
post #1301 of 1617 Old 08-09-2014, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm looking at the 40 and the 55.

The iris on the 55 may be an advantage, but I feel a £1k difference (UK prices £2.8K vs £1.85K) is excessive). Put simply, I' not convinced that the iris costs that much.

For me to go over the 40 Sony need to add some value to the (replacement for the) 55 (motorised/memory zoom/focus/shift), or drop it in price to c.£2.3K.

Or both.

Steve W
post #1302 of 1617 Old 08-09-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Man, this projector just keeps impressing. With a little RC (10) and a little Darbee (dialed back lately to HD35), and the settings from Projectorreviews.com the 55ES is sweet.

Thanks to Jeff Meier for recommending this projector to me.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #1303 of 1617 Old 08-09-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post
I'm looking at the 40 and the 55.

The iris on the 55 may be an advantage, but I feel a £1k difference (UK prices £2.8K vs £1.85K) is excessive). Put simply, I' not convinced that the iris costs that much.

For me to go over the 40 Sony need to add some value to the (replacement for the) 55 (motorised/memory zoom/focus/shift), or drop it in price to c.£2.3K.

Or both.

Steve W
I am afraid you are going to be disappointed. Also the 40 does not come with a spare lamp voucher.

post #1304 of 1617 Old 08-10-2014, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am afraid you are going to be disappointed. Also the 40 does not come with a spare lamp voucher.
I don't think the 55 does in the UK.

I won't be 'disappointed' as I'm not expecting it to happen - I was just saying what would tempt me upwards from the 40.

Steve W
post #1305 of 1617 Old 08-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi!

Given that my PS4 recently got 3D Blu Ray capabilities, I took advantage to fire up The Hobbit 3D on my HW55ES. PS4 handles playback trough an Onkyo 626 AV Receiver that is set on bypass.

The surprise is that i'm getting a green line on the bottom of the image which I cannot shake off.
It's only projected for the right eye and it makes watching 3D impossible.

Does anyone have a clue why such a line may be present and how it could be persuaded to go away?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	206353  
post #1306 of 1617 Old 08-10-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubikutz View Post
Hi!

Given that my PS4 recently got 3D Blu Ray capabilities, I took advantage to fire up The Hobbit 3D on my HW55ES. PS4 handles playback trough an Onkyo 626 AV Receiver that is set on bypass.

The surprise is that i'm getting a green line on the bottom of the image which I cannot shake off.
It's only projected for the right eye and it makes watching 3D impossible.

Does anyone have a clue why such a line may be present and how it could be persuaded to go away?

Thanks!
Does your player have two HDMI outputs? If so, run one direct to the second HDMI input on the projector, select it, and see if it still occurs. If you don't have a second on the player, still go direct to the projector and forget about sound for the moment. At least you'll know if it's the receiver or not.

I just bought a Panasonic BDT330 3D player online today for a real nice price just to check out 3D on this unit. I don't know if I'll get into 3D, but for the price, what the hell?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 08-10-2014 at 05:36 PM.
post #1307 of 1617 Old 08-11-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advise here. I am having some work done in my basement and having a Theater Room put in. I have decided that a projecter is the route that I want to go. I have narrowed my search to the following PJ's: Espson 6030, of course the Sony 55es, and the JVC 4910. I know the JVC is signficantly more money but...is it worth it? We will be watching movies from Blue Ray, Apple TV and DTV (HD), some 3d (kids) and sports. Here are the specs on the room:

1. 15 wide buy about 25-30 long
2. No windows, basically full blackness (interior room)
3. 8 foot ceilings
4. ordering a 120' Dragon Fly screen
5. looking like about a 13-14 foot distance between the ceiling mounted projector and screen
6. will be professionally installed

Main interest is very sharp picture, with lots of detail and seperation. Any thoughts on the 3 PJ's I've listed or maybe one not listed? Thanks for help.
post #1308 of 1617 Old 08-11-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by crupp View Post
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advise here. I am having some work done in my basement and having a Theater Room put in. I have decided that a projecter is the route that I want to go. I have narrowed my search to the following PJ's: Espson 6030, of course the Sony 55es, and the JVC 4910. I know the JVC is signficantly more money but...is it worth it? We will be watching movies from Blue Ray, Apple TV and DTV (HD), some 3d (kids) and sports. Here are the specs on the room:

1. 15 wide buy about 25-30 long
2. No windows, basically full blackness (interior room)
3. 8 foot ceilings
4. ordering a 120' Dragon Fly screen
5. looking like about a 13-14 foot distance between the ceiling mounted projector and screen
6. will be professionally installed

Main interest is very sharp picture, with lots of detail and seperation. Any thoughts on the 3 PJ's I've listed or maybe one not listed? Thanks for help.

Those are all good projectors. They all have their pluses and minuses. In a black room you could take advantage of the JVC's excellent contrast.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1309 of 1617 Old 08-12-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is the 55 a worthwhile upgrade from a hw15 in a dedicated room?
post #1310 of 1617 Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post
Is the 55 a worthwhile upgrade from a hw15 in a dedicated room?
Yes. The HW55 has a sharper image, brighter image and higher contrast. What more could you ask for. If we can help you with give us a call for pricing.

post #1311 of 1617 Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Man, this projector just keeps impressing. With a little RC (10) and a little Darbee (dialed back lately to HD35), and the settings from Projectorreviews.com the 55ES is sweet.

Thanks to Jeff Meier for recommending this projector to me.
I tried out the Darbee with my 55es and returned it a week later. I really wanted to like the Darbee but felt that it really wasn't needed with Reality Creation. I realize they do different things but I much preferred the image with Reality Creation alone versus any combination with the Darbee.
post #1312 of 1617 Old 08-14-2014, 04:01 AM

Hey guys,

quick question here concerning "image noise"in the HW40-picture.

i am currently looking at my first PJ and sa the Epson 4030, HW40 en HW55. I pefer the SXRD look of Sony so its between 40 and 55.

But.......during the shootout at a local dealer i found the 40 has much more image noise. Because i was not the only viewer i didnt get a change to see the same scene on the 55 but it looked like the 55 didn't give any noise at all.

I contacted Art (projectorreviews.com) and he give extra attention to this issue in his 40-review
http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...nd-image-noise

Any thought on this? Did more of you see the 40/55 and noticed image noise on the 40 where the 55 didn't?
post #1313 of 1617 Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten110 View Post
Hey guys,

i am currently looking at my first PJ and sa the Epson 4030, HW40 en HW55. I pefer the SXRD look of Sony so its between 40 and 55.

But.......during the shootout at a local dealer i found the 40 has much more image noise. Because i was not the only viewer i didnt get a change to see the same scene on the 55 but it looked like the 55 didn't give any noise at all.

I contacted Art (projectorreviews.com) and he give extra attention to this issue in his 40-review

Any thought on this? Did more of you see the 40/55 and noticed image noise on the 40 where the 55 didn't?
I would think it was either source (most likely) or set up related (different screen?). I don't think there is a difference in the processing between these two projectors.

post #1314 of 1617 Old 08-14-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I too am most likely looking at the HW55ES if I can stretch the $'s that far, here in Australia.

Alternatively the Epson 5030 (or as it is here, Epson TW9200) or Sony HW40 ES which both are approx. the same price at about $900 cheaper than the HW55ES.

I haven't been able to see a shoot-out between the two models of Sony and the Epson in the one location, but did notice between the Sony 40ES & 55ES at one location, the 40ES had a slightly more "Grainy" look on facial close-ups.......This could though I would imagine be more evenly matched with some fine adjustments. Although I have read in other reviews that the 55ES generally presents a slightly cleaner look over the 40ES, given the same amount of detail setting.

Another consideration of course, is the Dynamic Iris of the 55ES which is the main feature between it and the 40ES.
Again, only going on what I have read elsewhere, some say they can actually see the Dynamic Iris "over working" in some instances of light and dark in movies and have preferred to switch it out and still benefit from the very good contrast ratio anyway! So there goes the main difference between the 40ES and 55ES.

I've always been a "Sony" person, working in Broadcast TV here in Australia for 40 years, mainly with live picture production in Studio's and Outside Broadcasts with a lot of Sony gear.
However, I have seen the Epson 5030/TW9200 at another demo recently, not along with the Sony's at the same time, but it was certainly a nice big bright picture with good contrast and not a lot different as I could remember from the two Sony models at the other location......So I would say this Epson is way up there as well, maybe not as refined as the Sony 55ES but certainly in line with the 40ES.

Last edited by Fishhooks; 08-14-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Font format
post #1315 of 1617 Old 08-16-2014, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick question - sorry if this has already been stated.

What's the difference in light output between iris fully open and fully closed?

Steve W
post #1316 of 1617 Old 08-16-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Hey guys,

This is the reason I had my Sony hw55 es only for one month. Coming from a jvc x55 I found Sony 's image overcooked and with a lot of image noise. Of course notice that my seating position is about 3 meters in a 106 inches elite fixed screen.
post #1317 of 1617 Old 08-18-2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
I would think it was either source (most likely) or set up related (different screen?). I don't think there is a difference in the processing between these two projectors.
thanks......after the shootout i went to a forumuser who has a HW40 and i still saw some image noise.

My local dealer contacted Sony and they told him that the HW40 has different hardware under the hood then the HW55.
That could explain the slightly different picture, i found the HW55 overall sharper and more lively.
Didn't get the chance tot see the same demomaterial to check whether the HW55 showed the same image noise because there were more viewers during the demo and they tried their best to cater for everubodies wishes.

i'll demo the 55 again against the 40 just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooks View Post

Alternatively the Epson 5030 (or as it is here, Epson TW9200) or Sony HW40 ES which both are approx. the same price at about $900 cheaper than the HW55ES.

I haven't been able to see a shoot-out between the two models of Sony and the Epson in the one location, but did notice between the Sony 40ES & 55ES at one location, the 40ES had a slightly more "Grainy" look on facial close-ups.......This could though I would imagine be more evenly matched with some fine adjustments. Although I have read in other reviews that the 55ES generally presents a slightly cleaner look over the 40ES, given the same amount of detail setting.
My issue with the Epsons is the amount of noise they make and they are not dustproof like the cooling system of the sony which has a system where the cool air doesnt pass the optics so no chance of dustblobs.

i audited the 4030 and i liked the image though but i preferred the womewhat sharper filmlike SXRD look of the 40/55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnchalt View Post
This is the reason I had my Sony hw55 es only for one month. Coming from a jvc x55 I found Sony 's image overcooked and with a lot of image noise. Of course notice that my seating position is about 3 meters in a 106 inches elite fixed screen.
great tip, the JVC's ....not a lot sell here though.....germany is bigger on JVC. The Dutch are more Sony/Epson buyers i quess.
Maybe i'll try and audit a X35, more expensive though.

i dont need 3D, i'm a 2D viewer.
post #1318 of 1617 Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Cool

It will be interesting to see continuing comments, re the actual video performance between the 40 & 55, disregarding the Dynamic Iris of the 55.

Like a lot of others, I not too interested in the 3D side of things and the excellent "Blacks" come "Contrast" that I'm seeing with my 55 without engaging the Dynamic Iris, makes me really want to concentrate in the near future on seeing just how much of a "Good Thing" this Iris feature makes, if at all.

I'm sure with some types of input material, this feature must do something to improve, but another review I've seen, noted the slight pumping (opening and closing) of the iris during motion, could be easily detected with the 55. To the reviewers eyes anyway.

Even with Sony (and other) brands of Broadcast Cameras, Auto Iris is something that good Technical Directors would never consider using on quality Studio and Outside Broadcasts. It never has to date and I think never will replace the experienced hands of the operator controlling the cameras as they move around and are subjected to varying light and flare conditions which are always apparent.

Anyway, let's see what reports we get as both the 40 and 55 get some more market share in the Home Theatres we love so much.

BTW Maarten 110:

I was, when recently deciding on a new projector, spooked about reports I had read of the 'not so sealed' Epsons and the BLOBS many have encountered.
Frightening to say the least.........Imagine having to drag your brand new machine back for service after a short while to have it cleaned. Something which I would say could never be made as good as during original manufacture.

Last edited by Fishhooks; 08-18-2014 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Added text
post #1319 of 1617 Old 08-18-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooks View Post
BTW Maarten 110:

I was, when recently deciding on a new projector, spooked about reports I had read of the 'not so sealed' Epsons and the BLOBS many have encountered.
Frightening to say the least.........Imagine having to drag your brand new machine back for service after a short while to have it cleaned. Something which I would say could never be made as good as during original manufacture.

FH:

the pj wil be in the living room, we have two dogs and a cat so plenty of fur flying around

biggest problem with dust will be the fact that aint gonna be repaired under guarantee, so this means extra costs.
i rather spend that money on a slightly more expensive sony bulb.
post #1320 of 1617 Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
FH:

the pj wil be in the living room, we have two dogs and a cat so plenty of fur flying around

biggest problem with dust will be the fact that aint gonna be repaired under guarantee, so this means extra costs.
i rather spend that money on a slightly more expensive sony bulb.
Sony lamps are the lower cost lamps here in the US.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page