AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten110 View Post
FH:

the pj wil be in the living room, we have two dogs and a cat so plenty of fur flying around

biggest problem with dust will be the fact that aint gonna be repaired under guarantee, so this means extra costs.
i rather spend that money on a slightly more expensive sony bulb.
Sony lamps are the lower cost lamps here in the US.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1341 Old 08-18-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooks View Post

Like a lot of others, I not too interested in the 3D side of things and the excellent "Blacks" come "Contrast" that I'm seeing with my 55 without engaging the Dynamic Iris, makes me really want to concentrate in the near future on seeing just how much of a "Good Thing" this Iris feature makes, if at all.

I'm sure with some types of input material, this feature must do something to improve, but another review I've seen, noted the slight pumping (opening and closing) of the iris during motion, could be easily detected with the 55. To the reviewers eyes anyway.

Even with Sony (and other) brands of Broadcast Cameras, Auto Iris is something that good Technical Directors would never consider using on quality Studio and Outside Broadcasts. It never has to date and I think never will replace the experienced hands of the operator controlling the cameras as they move around and are subjected to varying light and flare conditions which are always apparent.
No need for the Iris. Just using the Projectorreviews.com settings will produce excellent results. I didn't care much about 3D either, but the wife and I have enjoyed a couple of 3D Blurays so far.

And since this thing finally allowed me to post again, I need to vent. Since the new (old) software was put in place, nine times out of ten when I reply or post, I get a "text needs to be more than two characters long" error, and my post is rejected.

I have had zero response from AVS, no matter who or how I try to contact. Except for Craig Peer who I bought my 55ES from, who had a suggestion that didn't work. I must say, the total lack of response from AVS was very discouraging. It takes a lot of digging just to find someone to contact.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 08-18-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add comment
post #1323 of 1341 Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some advice please from others here who have a longer experience with the HW40ES & HW55ES.

I haven't found a final resting place as far as mounting the "55" yet, as have only had it for a few days and am yet to decide on it's final resting place?

Using it table top at present, I have slightly centred the image on the screen by adjusting the "Vertical" & "Horizontal" Thumbwheels at the top of the projector.

I was surprised to find that these adjustments do not have a centre detent or mid position and have several turns available on the control, thus multi-turn pots.

Thus..........I'm wondering if it is possible that these controls could actually be mis-adjusted and set "too far" in one direction and therefore not have the "Light Path" passing through the optimum centre section of the lens?

Have watched a couple more movies and am very happy with the picture displayed from this Sony, with out of the box settings.
Just a couple of tweeks on my ol' Pioneer BDP-LX52 Blu-ray Player so-far.
post #1324 of 1341 Old 08-19-2014, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooks View Post
Some advice please from others here who have a longer experience with the HW40ES & HW55ES.

I haven't found a final resting place as far as mounting the "55" yet, as have only had it for a few days and am yet to decide on it's final resting place?

Using it table top at present, I have slightly centred the image on the screen by adjusting the "Vertical" & "Horizontal" Thumbwheels at the top of the projector.

I was surprised to find that these adjustments do not have a centre detent or mid position and have several turns available on the control, thus multi-turn pots.

Thus..........I'm wondering if it is possible that these controls could actually be mis-adjusted and set "too far" in one direction and therefore not have the "Light Path" passing through the optimum centre section of the lens?

Have watched a couple more movies and am very happy with the picture displayed from this Sony, with out of the box settings.
Just a couple of tweeks on my ol' Pioneer BDP-LX52 Blu-ray Player so-far.
I think the trick is to place the projector so it's dead level and pointing straight at the centre of your screen. The adjust lend shift until the image is correctly placed.

You now have the shift wheels in the correct mid position.

I agree though, it'd be better/easier to have some sort of indicator.

Steve W
post #1325 of 1341 Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I posted this is the hw50es thread but wanted to ask here too since projectors are very similar and this is a more active thread

---

anyone have any recommended settings for gaming? and do yall run reality creation on or off for gaming?

I use a ps4, xbox one, and pc and I feel like the picture is lacking...like it's kinda grainy or fuzzy and i feel like I can't get the best color reproduction out for games. I've had my projector for almost a year now with about 400hrs on the lamp. Looks AMAZING on movies though but I feel like it's potential for gaming could be better and I know it's my settings.

thanks!

post #1326 of 1341 Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor63 View Post
I have a room that is light controlled, but I will have some ambient light as it is not a dedicated theater. Craig at AVS recommended that I go with the stewart filmscreen firehawk ls to go with my Sony 55. I trust his recommendation.
I have sony 55es and screen I chose was SI pure white zero edge screen. I am so happy with my purchase. I was in the fence deciding stewart greyhawk vs studio tek and finally went with SI due to their cool design, technology and I have a dedicated light controlled media room.

So wanted brightness more and did not want to take chances with a grey screen that is more suitable with non-light controlled environment.

I did saw a demo of greyhawk with jvc x35 in a dedicated media room. And I did not like the brightness at all. This could be due to the projector x35 and the combination of grey screen.

SI company and my dealer recommended me pure white and I am happy with my purchase. It does reflect light on my light tan painted walls. I am planning to paint my media room with dark chocolate color so that should reduce reflections.

Good luck!
post #1327 of 1341 Old 08-20-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Color setting- Bright Cinema setting

Hi All,
I just had my 55ES installed a week ago, and I am loving it. last night, for the first time I was playing around with the settings while watching a recorded football game off DVR. I was in the Bright Cinema setting (no calibration yet), and had turned Reality Creation up to 50, and was playing with turning Motion Enhancer on and off to see if I could tell a difference- -all suggested in Art's awesome review at projectorreviews.com.

However, I accidentally dropped the remote and as it hit the seat, I think it says it changed the Color setting to "Color 3" or something like that. Could somebody tell me what value this should be "out of the box" so I can adjust it back? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
post #1328 of 1341 Old 08-22-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet88888 View Post
Hi All,

However, I accidentally dropped the remote and as it hit the seat, I think it says it changed the Color setting to "Color 3" or something like that. Could somebody tell me what value this should be "out of the box" so I can adjust it back? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Have you tried the reset button on the remote?
post #1329 of 1341 Old 08-22-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmavs View Post
Have you tried the reset button on the remote?
I thought of that-but was scared that would reset any alignment calibration that the installer would have done. I may just go with the basic calibration settings on Art's site as I see he had a section that addressed the Color Space adjustment.
post #1330 of 1341 Old 08-23-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Holy cow. I just grabbed one of these for a flat $3000.00 while I was looking for an HW40ES. Open box at a Magnolia. Came with the box accessories, and the Free Lamp Coupon.

If any of you live in the Seattle area, Magnolia in Bellevue on 20th is moving to the Bellevue Best Buy location. LOTS of open box and clearance deals will be going on.

Looky here!
post #1331 of 1341 Old 08-23-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Holy cow. I just grabbed one of these for a flat $3000.00 while I was looking for an HW40ES. Open box at a Magnolia. Came with the box accessories, and the Free Lamp Coupon.

If any of you live in the Seattle area, Magnolia in Bellevue on 20th is moving to the Bellevue Best Buy location. LOTS of open box and clearance deals will be going on.
If it's in great shape, which I suspect it is or you wouldn't have bought it, I bet you'll be every bit as happy with it's performance as it's price.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #1332 of 1341 Old 08-24-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

A few quick screengrabs using my Iphone and no photography skills. I'd say the actual image is a little more vivid and not washed out in the least.

Lean your laptop screen back a little till black gets black and that's closer to what I see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (111.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg photo (4).jpg (89.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg photo (5).jpg (103.2 KB, 56 views)

See ya. Dave

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 08-24-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #1333 of 1341 Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
If it's in great shape, which I suspect it is or you wouldn't have bought it, I bet you'll be every bit as happy with it's performance as it's price.
Put it up against a white textured wall with some ambient light and was blown away. I can't wait till I'm done with my screen sample test and we have:
  1. The walls and ceiling painted.
  2. A real screen up.

Looky here!
post #1334 of 1341 Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey guys -- I thought I would drop a tip.

I have a Samsung F8500 plasma up in the family room, and the Samsung dealer couldn't discount but threw in a blu ray player and a mess of those nice light Samsung 3D glasses. I don't use 3D in that room -- but I decided I want to use them in the theater room as the Sony glasses are heavy and downright painful (IMHO).

I knew from this forum that the Xpand 025 emitter is available from Xpand directly for $195 + shipping -- but that the dongle cable you need is hard to find.

So I called Sony ES customer support, and explained that the cable comes with the EU units and that I really wanted one. I may have just gotten lucky, but the rep there sent me one complimentary. The cable was on backorder forever -- but just came in stock and it showed up yesterday. So now I have put in my order for the Xpand unit. BTW the paperwork that came with the cable says that the cost was $17 (not the $75 seen on the parts website). Maybe that is an internal cost ... I don't know.

Good luck and happy viewing all.

CT

My Bargain Basement Theater
post #1335 of 1341 Old 08-27-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey can you guys confirm something for me. I am mounting my current projector and may be moving to this model or sonys next model. I looked in the manual for the 55ES and looks like the mounting holes for a ceiling plate are about 7" back from the lens, is this accurate? I just want to make sure to put my mount with my current projector so that I still have a good 12' with this projector, thanks!
post #1336 of 1341 Old 08-29-2014, 01:49 PM

Can anyone please tell me how to recharge the glasses that came with this projector?
Thanks,
Mike
post #1337 of 1341 Old 08-29-2014, 01:50 PM

Can anyone please tell me how to recharge the glasses that came with this projector?
Thanks,
Mike
post #1338 of 1341 Old 08-29-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLewis View Post
Thanks,
Mike
There's a cover on the right side, on the outside, with a port for a micro usb cable.

Looky here!
post #1339 of 1341 Old 08-29-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
There's a cover on the right side, on the outside, with a port for a micro usb cable.
Thanks. I found that. I guess my question is, can I charge it from my computer or my Apple iphone charger. The projector does not have a USB port and the instructions say use the one on your Sony television.
post #1340 of 1341 Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLewis View Post
Thanks. I found that. I guess my question is, can I charge it from my computer or my Apple iphone charger. The projector does not have a USB port and the instructions say use the one on your Sony television.
That's how I charge mine - from my MacBook USB port.
post #1341 of 1341 Old 08-29-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
That's how I charge mine - from my MacBook USB port.
Great! I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't damage them. I love the projector by the way. I came from an NEC HT1000 and was shocked to see how much better the Sony looked. My next quest will be to get rid of the 4:3 screen and get a 16:9. Thanks again,
Mike
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page