post #1381 of 1405 Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Just shocks me that my Benq W1070 projected a perfect square image but the Sony at over twice its price can't.
The shorter throw range of the 1070 helps in this regard.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1405 Old 09-24-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Just shocks me that my Benq W1070 projected a perfect square image but the Sony at over twice its price can't.
It might not be 100% perfectly level and square to the screen. I can get that same effect with my Sim Lumis - and that projector has a great lens. It doesn't take being off by much to cause that.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1383 of 1405 Old 09-24-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The shorter throw range of the 1070 helps in this regard.
So will having the zoom near its limits affect how much bow is present is the image?

I took the projector back to the dealer and he set it up and the bow was present, he then setup an epson 5030ub and the image was square.

That projector has an even bigger throw range than the sony.

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 09-24-2014 at 08:28 AM.
post #1384 of 1405 Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
So will having the zoom near its limits affect how much bow is present is the image?

I took the projector back to the dealer and he set it up and the bow was present, he then setup an epson 5030ub and the image was square.

That projector has an even bigger throw range than the sony.

Near the limits of the lens shift can make a difference. As I said earlier, it is the lens. You just have to decide if everything else is good enough to make you want to live with this bowing or exchange. My brother has an older Sony and it is bowed slightly at the bottom. The image sharpness and uniformity was so good on the projector, compared to others he had seen, that he decided to keep it. He just enlarged the image slightly, so that the bow, is lost in the black velvet border.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1385 of 1405 Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I did a search of this thread and found nothing useful on it.

Can someone tell me what "Contrast Enhancer" does in the advanced menu settings?

Also -- while asking questions -- I would love to know that the difference gamma adjustment settings mean. I can tell what looks good -- but I would love to know that "off", 2.2, 2.4, Gamma 8, etc., refer to.

Thanks!

CT

post #1386 of 1405 Old 09-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like some of the posted photographs, (Post 1237) I need to have my "55" fairly close to the rear wall at the projector position. This would be whether it was table or ceiling mounted.

The Instruction Manual states a minimum space of 30cm at the projector rear as the air intake is obviously here.

In the case of table mounting, with "clear space" of more than 2 metres at each side and more than 1 metre above, would a space of around 20cm be too close to the wall?

Last edited by Fishhooks; 09-25-2014 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Correction
post #1387 of 1405 Old 09-25-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Near the limits of the lens shift can make a difference. As I said earlier, it is the lens. You just have to decide if everything else is good enough to make you want to live with this bowing or exchange. My brother has an older Sony and it is bowed slightly at the bottom. The image sharpness and uniformity was so good on the projector, compared to others he had seen, that he decided to keep it. He just enlarged the image slightly, so that the bow, is lost in the black velvet border.
Can you measure the amount of bow you have seen from the screen edge to the top the image.

Its just when I watch a film in 2.40:1 I can see the bottom of the image is bowed also when a ticker is on the bottom of the screen this also has a bow to it.

So its not just the edge of the image that is not straight but it is also distorting the bottom portion of the image aswell.

Is this normal? I have 1cm of bow from the top of the screen to the top of the image.
post #1388 of 1405 Old 09-25-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Can you measure the amount of bow you have seen from the screen edge to the top the image.

Its just when I watch a film in 2.40:1 I can see the bottom of the image is bowed also when a ticker is on the bottom of the screen this also has a bow to it.

So its not just the edge of the image that is not straight but it is also distorting the bottom portion of the image aswell.

Is this normal? I have 1cm of bow from the top of the screen to the top of the image.
What size screen do you have? Are you saying the top of the ticker (at bottom of screen) is bowed or just the bottom of the ticker is bowed?

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #1389 of 1405 Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
What size screen do you have? Are you saying the top of the ticker (at bottom of screen) is bowed or just the bottom of the ticker is bowed?
My screen size in 110" diagonal

Well the bow changes from top to bottom depending on the orentation of the projector.

So if ceiling mounted it is at the bottom, if on a table its at the top.

The ticker just bows upward.

Here is some pictures:

http://postimg.org/gallery/hq38oiwo/11240701/

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 09-25-2014 at 07:32 AM.
post #1390 of 1405 Old 09-25-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
My screen size in 110" diagonal

Well the bow changes from top to bottom depending on the orentation of the projector.

So if ceiling mounted it is at the bottom, if on a table its at the top.

The ticker just bows upward.

Here is some pictures:

http://postimg.org/gallery/hq38oiwo/11240701/
Okay, so it is not bowing the entire image, just the bottom of the image or top, depending on orientation of the projector. The problem is the lens, not the screen. You just have to decide if you want to overshoot 3/8" or exchange. If everything else about the projector is real good, I would consider keeping, because while you could get one that does not have the bowing, it could have lower sharpness or lower focus uniformity. If it has other problems, I would see about an exchange.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #1391 of 1405 Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Okay, so it is not bowing the entire image, just the bottom of the image or top, depending on orientation of the projector. The problem is the lens, not the screen. You just have to decide if you want to overshoot 3/8" or exchange. If everything else about the projector is real good, I would consider keeping, because while you could get one that does not have the bowing, it could have lower sharpness or lower focus uniformity. If it has other problems, I would see about an exchange.
This being my first high end projector I have no idea what to look for with sharpness, convergence and focus uniformity.

The bow is something I can see but I have been I discussion with Sony prime support and they can't tell me from pictures if the bow is "within limits" to not.

So I will need to send it away to them, so they can test it.
post #1392 of 1405 Old 09-25-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
This being my first high end projector I have no idea what to look for with sharpness, convergence and focus uniformity.

The bow is something I can see but I have been I discussion with Sony prime support and they can't tell me from pictures if the bow is "within limits" to not.

So I will need to send it away to them, so they can test it.
Put a static image or test pattern up and if the sharpness is the same all across the screen, then you are good there. Put up a convergence test pattern and see how well the colors match up, from viewing distance. If both of those items look good, then I would probably not mess with sending it in.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #1393 of 1405 Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This 3D package is what comes as standard with a VPL-HW55 Projector purchased from an authorized Sony Dealer in Australia.

My initial delivery was missing the small adapter cable, probably by mistake and the dealer certainly made it instantly available when I contacted them. Can't imagine it's cost should be anywhere near $75!

I think I read somewhere that VPL-HW55's in some parts of the world also are packaged with a voucher for a new lamp. Here in Australia you only get a voucher for a $100 discount on your next lamp if purchased from a Sony Dealer.

Would also appreciate some feedback on the clear space some of you have behind the projector, to a wall, where of course the main air-intake is.
The manual states 30cm, I think I can only manage about 20cm, but the space at the top and sides is more than 1 metre, certainly at the sides several metres!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2070.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	600.7 KB
ID:	279705  
post #1394 of 1405 Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Put a static image or test pattern up and if the sharpness is the same all across the screen, then you are good there. Put up a convergence test pattern and see how well the colors match up, from viewing distance. If both of those items look good, then I would probably not mess with sending it in.
Thanks for all your help and time I will have a good look at the PQ over this weekend, will see if I can put up with the distortion.

Does annoy me the bottom of movies are bowed.
post #1395 of 1405 Old 09-26-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks for all your help and time I will have a good look at the PQ over this weekend, will see if I can put up with the distortion.

Does annoy me the bottom of movies are bowed.
Make the image slightly larger, so that it overshoots the bottom of the velvet covered screen frame by 3/8" and you will soon forget about it. Do this by making it 3/16" bigger top and bottom and lens shifting it down 3/16". Then it is hidden.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #1396 of 1405 Old 09-28-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
may I ask how good the hw55es' 3d performance is (crosstalk/ghosting etc.). "I'm between" the hw55es and the Epson 9200/5030 but it's a pretty hard decision to me. Unfortunately at my place I have no dealer to compare them or check them out. Epson has a 120hz technology for 3d, but according to Sony the hw55es supports 120hz, too. I'm pretty confused and I don't know which one I should buy. Sony's advantage is the sxrd technology and the epson is better in 3d like people say because of the 120hz. How is it possible to reach these 120hz for 3d for the sony hw55es? (remember I said sony said the hw55es supports it)
post #1397 of 1405 Old 09-28-2014, 06:06 PM

What do people recommend for settings with reality creation and noise reduction with movies.

Been told 20 on resolution but no one has recommended a setting for noise reduction.
post #1398 of 1405 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
I did a search of this thread and found nothing useful on it.

Can someone tell me what "Contrast Enhancer" does in the advanced menu settings?

Also -- while asking questions -- I would love to know that the difference gamma adjustment settings mean. I can tell what looks good -- but I would love to know that "off", 2.2, 2.4, Gamma 8, etc., refer to.

Thanks!

CT
Contrast enhancer, as the name implies, looks at the luminance content of the image and tries to push out the darker and lighter elements of the frame to 'increase contrast'. In some content it may be fine, but it can also crush out darks / highlights in some other content.

Gamma is the luminance curve, or how quickly successive luminance levels are mapped to various brightness levels. It is most noticeable in night / dark scenes where you can see various shades of very dark colors which still maintaining deep blacks. The higher the number ('2.4', etc.) the darker the picture looks, and the lower the number the less dark grays, and deep browns look. Depending on how light controlled your theater is, the lower your gamma curve can be, which still keeping the content viewable. Typically, you see values between 2.2 - 2.4 for modern displays in most environments, but this is ideally figured out during calibration. Here's a link for your perusal.
post #1399 of 1405 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk View Post
Contrast enhancer, as the name implies, looks at the luminance content of the image and tries to push out the darker and lighter elements of the frame to 'increase contrast'. In some content it may be fine, but it can also crush out darks / highlights in some other content.

Gamma is the luminance curve, or how quickly successive luminance levels are mapped to various brightness levels. It is most noticeable in night / dark scenes where you can see various shades of very dark colors which still maintaining deep blacks. The higher the number ('2.4', etc.) the darker the picture looks, and the lower the number the less dark grays, and deep browns look. Depending on how light controlled your theater is, the lower your gamma curve can be, which still keeping the content viewable. Typically, you see values between 2.2 - 2.4 for modern displays in most environments, but this is ideally figured out during calibration. Here's a link for your perusal.
Thank you for the assistance. Very helpful.

Couple of follow up questions if I may:

1. I understand what gamma does now -- what does it mean if gamma is in the "off" setting in our 55ES projectors?

2. Our projectors seem to have two types of gamma values. One set is the 2.2, 2.4, etc. That I now understand. The other set is Gamma 8, Gamma 9, etc. How do the two relate?

Thank you again!

CT

post #1400 of 1405 Old Today, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello Everyone!!!

I purchased my Sony vpl hw55es projector about a month ago and after running HDMI cables, electrical, speaker wires and drywall I now have it up and running and it is beautiful!!

My question is, does anyone have a go to calibration setting guide on what will look good without having someone come out to do it? I have a 100" Elite curved screen with an Onkyo tx nr626 reciever. I've done my best on trying to calibrate it but I'm new at this so I can't get any further without help. Any advice is appreciated.

Sony VPL HW55ES with Elite Lunette 100" curved screen
Onkyo tx nr626 receiver
B&W CM9's and CMC2 center with CM5 S2 surrounds and Polk ceiling speakers
HSU VTF2 MK4 sub
post #1401 of 1405 Old Today, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Seegs108

Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the HW50ES when demo'ing it. We had a Darbee Darblet on hand and used that to sharpen the image instead. It does a great subtle job that should fix your problem with the HW55ES. For $300 it's probably the easiest solution to your problem if you want to keep the Sony.

Yep, and I just signed up for this new Signature Edition Darblet on indiegogo and just got this email response.

"We are happy to announce that we have made an upgrade to our Perks.

If you selected the Signature Edition Darblet, you will receive an upgrade. Now you will receive a Signature Edition of the new DVP5100CIE.

DVP5100CIE (Custom Installer Edition)

Features:
*phaseHD - 30+meters of perfect HDMI
*USB - for reprogramming in the field
*Rack mountable, 19" x 1U, metal case
*Connectors on the back
Plus an extended 2 year warranty ($100 value).
Add $20 for US and $40 for International shipping.
Estimated delivery: May 2014

Thank you for supporting our campaign and tell a friend!

Team DarbeeVision"

I just installed this projector and noticed that its a little washed out in certain scenes as well. Never heard of the Darbee but it look very interesting. Have you received it yet and has it helped at all?

Onkyo tx nr626 receiver
HSU VTF2 MK4 sub
post #1402 of 1405 Old Today, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick510 View Post
I just installed this projector and noticed that its a little washed out in certain scenes as well. Never heard of the Darbee but it look very interesting. Have you received it yet and has it helped at all?
I sold my Sony HW55 back in January I believe it was. I got the JVC X700R now, which has amazing picture quality. Way better black levels and contrast when watching dark content.

I haven't received my Darbee 5100CIE yet...date keeps getting pushed out...shouldn't be too much longer though. I do have a Oppo 103D, which has Darbee built-in. I keep it set on HD 35% when watching blu-rays and it does make the image look sharper/crisper and more dynamic. I would definitely recommend Darbee.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

post #1403 of 1405 Old Today, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
I sold my Sony HW55 back in January I believe it was. I got the JVC X700R now, which has amazing picture quality. Way better black levels and contrast when watching dark content.

I haven't received my Darbee 5100CIE yet...date keeps getting pushed out...shouldn't be too much longer though. I do have a Oppo 103D, which has Darbee built-in. I keep it set on HD 35% when watching blu-rays and it does make the image look sharper/crisper and more dynamic. I would definitely recommend Darbee.
Thank you for the info, I wish I could afford the JBC 700 but right now I can't. I got the Sony 55 for $2600 with full warranty and brand new so it will have to do for now. Hopefully the 4k projectors will be cheaper when I'm ready to upgrade. Did you Darbey buiilt in Oppo help make the Sony 55s image any better?

Onkyo tx nr626 receiver
HSU VTF2 MK4 sub
post #1404 of 1405 Old Today, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thank you for the info, I wish I could afford the JBC 700 but right now I can't. I got the Sony 55 for $2600 with full warranty and brand new so it will have to do for now. Hopefully the 4k projectors will be cheaper when I'm ready to upgrade. Did you Darbey buiilt in Oppo help make the Sony 55s image any better?
Are you sure you have a warranty? That selling price does not make sense for a new 55. A dealer is losing money, selling it at that price.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #1405 of 1405 Old Today, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Well you could get a JVC X500/RS49/RS4910 for around that same price, maybe a little more. And it has picture quality that rivals that of the X700/X900. Though unless you have a blacked out room, the difference in black levels is negligible from what I've read. Kinda makes me wish I would've just got the X500, but I got a killer deal on the X700 so I couldn't pass it up.

Not trying to say you got a bad projector in any way, the HW55 throws a really nice image, I'm just a fan of black levels and contrast so I had to make the jump to JVC.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the Oppo 103D when I had the Sony HW55 so I can't comment on how Darbee video processing enhances the image of the HW55, although I'm sure it's similar. Darbee has algorithms for sharpening and enhancing contrast as far as I know. It's similar to JVC: Clear Black, Epson: Super Resolution, Sony: Reality Creation, etc... It's just a better algorithm than the others.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

User Tag List