Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 1457 Old 10-11-2014, 06:15 AM
Member
 
Jruc03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East ohio
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
If you bought it from an authorized dealer, you need to contact them.
I contacted them and they are getting back with me as they said it should have been in the box. They may have to contact Sony they said.
Jruc03 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 1457 Old 10-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Member
 
yash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am interested in knowing if anyone on the forum is using the IR IN of this projector to control it and if so what IR receiver they are using. I have this projector ceiling mounted and am looking for a way to control it with IR signals coming from the back of the projector. I tried the Monoprice 5-Feet IR Extender Cable Receiver (108060) without any luck but this same IR receiver works fine with my Verizon Fios STB and is able to control it. Any ideas?
yash is offline  
post #1443 of 1457 Old 10-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
jidelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Glen Allen, VA, USA
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yash View Post
I am interested in knowing if anyone on the forum is using the IR IN of this projector to control it and if so what IR receiver they are using. I have this projector ceiling mounted and am looking for a way to control it with IR signals coming from the back of the projector. I tried the Monoprice 5-Feet IR Extender Cable Receiver (108060) without any luck but this same IR receiver works fine with my Verizon Fios STB and is able to control it. Any ideas?
I had problems with my IR IN to the point that I knew there was something wrong with the projector but decided it wasn't worth taking it down (ceiling mounted) and sending it to Sony since I was going to use RS232 anyway. Hope you have better luck than me finding a solution...

jidelite
jidelite is offline  
post #1444 of 1457 Old 10-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Member
 
yash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post
I had problems with my IR IN to the point that I knew there was something wrong with the projector but decided it wasn't worth taking it down (ceiling mounted) and sending it to Sony since I was going to use RS232 anyway. Hope you have better luck than me finding a solution...

jidelite
Thanks for the response. I called the Sony support line and the tech said that any IR receiver should work but didn't know why the Monoprice one does not work with the projector. He was also unable to recommend any receivers that are known to work with it.
yash is offline  
post #1445 of 1457 Old 10-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Member
 
jamesvicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For what it's worth I got a monoprice one and it doesn't work in mine either, and nor does it work in my anthem receiver either


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamesvicky is offline  
post #1446 of 1457 Old 10-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Member
 
dw886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've played around with a number of Monoprice IR units. The 108060 is the same unit that comes with their HDMI over CAT6 wallplate, and it's only single band IR (meaning it won't work with all remotes / devices).


The IR receiver that comes with their IR Repeater (9895) seems to work with everything that I've plugged it into. I don't have the Sony projector (yet - theater is still under construction, so it'll be a few more weeks), but I'd be willing to bet if you pulled the IR Receiver out of the box that comes with the 9895 unit, it would work, and the 108060 won't because the band of IR for the projector isn't covered in the 108060.


Whenever I use one of their HDMI over Cat5/Cat6 wall plates, I throw away the IR receiver (same as the 108060 unit), and use one from the 9895 instead...YMMV of course with the projector, but if I were to bet...I'd say it would work there as well.
dw886 is offline  
post #1447 of 1457 Old 10-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Member
 
yash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw886 View Post
I've played around with a number of Monoprice IR units. The 108060 is the same unit that comes with their HDMI over CAT6 wallplate, and it's only single band IR (meaning it won't work with all remotes / devices).


The IR receiver that comes with their IR Repeater (9895) seems to work with everything that I've plugged it into. I don't have the Sony projector (yet - theater is still under construction, so it'll be a few more weeks), but I'd be willing to bet if you pulled the IR Receiver out of the box that comes with the 9895 unit, it would work, and the 108060 won't because the band of IR for the projector isn't covered in the 108060.


Whenever I use one of their HDMI over Cat5/Cat6 wall plates, I throw away the IR receiver (same as the 108060 unit), and use one from the 9895 instead...YMMV of course with the projector, but if I were to bet...I'd say it would work there as well.
Thanks for the info. Do you know the type of connector on the IR receiver? HW55ES expects mini jack for the IR in. It was not clear from the manual for the unit though it looked like a mini jack. Anyway at that price I am thinking of ordering one since even if the IR in does not work I can still use the unit itself to relay the signals to the IR sensor in the front of the projector.
yash is offline  
post #1448 of 1457 Old 10-19-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,975
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Sony sale on models HW40ES and HW55ES. Sale starts today, Sunday the 19th and goes to the end of the month. Call us for details. If anybody was considering one of these projectors, now is the time.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1449 of 1457 Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Member
 
qwerty_88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the Sony HW55ES be better than an old JVC (RS55 / X70)? I'm torn between the two right now they're being offered to me for the same price.
qwerty_88 is offline  
post #1450 of 1457 Old 10-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Member
 
Jruc03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East ohio
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have calibrated mine to the best of my ability but after messing with some of the extra settings I do like the picture better with the cinema black pro lamp brightness on the low setting but whenever I use it and a scene in a movie comes on with a bright image I see a lot of flickering in the brightness. Is this normal and or has anyone been able to calibrate it out?
Jruc03 is offline  
post #1451 of 1457 Old 10-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Member
 
Buurke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruc03 View Post
I have calibrated mine to the best of my ability but after messing with some of the extra settings I do like the picture better with the cinema black pro lamp brightness on the low setting but whenever I use it and a scene in a movie comes on with a bright image I see a lot of flickering in the brightness. Is this normal and or has anyone been able to calibrate it out?

Check if "Film Projection" in the Motionflow menu is set to "Off".
Buurke is offline  
post #1452 of 1457 Old 10-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Member
 
Jruc03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East ohio
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buurke View Post
Check if "Film Projection" in the Motionflow menu is set to "Off".
I did check this to be sure it was off, it does create a similar effect but its not quite as noticeable as the flicker i'm seeing and its only in lighter scenes.
Jruc03 is offline  
post #1453 of 1457 Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
Senior Member
 
cemo62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruc03 View Post
I have calibrated mine to the best of my ability but after messing with some of the extra settings I do like the picture better with the cinema black pro lamp brightness on the low setting but whenever I use it and a scene in a movie comes on with a bright image I see a lot of flickering in the brightness. Is this normal and or has anyone been able to calibrate it out?
Use it in high lamp mode for 5-6 hours and then back to low lamp
cemo62 is offline  
post #1454 of 1457 Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
Member
 
Jruc03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East ohio
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruc03 View Post
I have calibrated mine to the best of my ability but after messing with some of the extra settings I do like the picture better with the cinema black pro lamp brightness on the low setting but whenever I use it and a scene in a movie comes on with a bright image I see a lot of flickering in the brightness. Is this normal and or has anyone been able to calibrate it out?
Use it in high lamp mode for 5-6 hours and then back to low lamp
I have used it in high for about 40hrs already and it still reverts right back to flickering. I'll play around with the calibration again to see if I can get rid of it.
Jruc03 is offline  
post #1455 of 1457 Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Sony sale on models HW40ES and HW55ES. Sale starts today, Sunday the 19th and goes to the end of the month. Call us for details. If anybody was considering one of these projectors, now is the time.
Mike: Can you send me a PM on the sale price of the 55ES? Thanks.
jasenkent is offline  
post #1456 of 1457 Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,975
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post
Mike: Can you send me a PM on the sale price of the 55ES? Thanks.
Sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1457 of 1457 Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
Member
 
khactuyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose, California, 95112-6147
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to khactuyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Sent you a PM.
and me, thanks.
khactuyen is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off