Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 45Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1531 of 1988 Old 11-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Member
 
flyinmunky99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whats the input lag on this like for gaming guys? And will it fill a 120" from 13 feet providing excellent contrast etc?
flyinmunky99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1532 of 1988 Old 11-10-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,710
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
Whats the input lag on this like for gaming guys? And will it fill a 120" from 13 feet providing excellent contrast etc?
JVC has high gaming lag. If you game on line, it could be a problem. If localized, then it depends on the person and game. Some say it is fine and other complain.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1533 of 1988 Old 11-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Member
 
flyinmunky99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
JVC has high gaming lag. If you game on line, it could be a problem. If localized, then it depends on the person and game. Some say it is fine and other complain.

My question was on the Sony Hw55ES?


flyinmunky99 is offline  
post #1534 of 1988 Old 11-10-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
plissken99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 3,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Sony HW55 is ~ 800 lumens in 3D mode without the glasses. X35 is ~ 650 with the CT @ 0, ~800 with the CT @ +6.
Wait a sec, where do you get 800 lumens in 3D mode if it's around 950 calibrated? 3D mode is high lamp with the iris all the way open right? Should be more like 1400 lumens in 3D mode. Game mode alone nears 1200 in projectorreviews.com write up, weird they don't mention 3D brightness numbers.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

 

plissken99 is offline  
post #1535 of 1988 Old 11-10-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,472
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
Wait a sec, where do you get 800 lumens in 3D mode if it's around 950 calibrated? 3D mode is high lamp with the iris all the way open right? Should be more like 1400 lumens in 3D mode. Game mode alone nears 1200 in projectorreviews.com write up, weird they don't mention 3D brightness numbers.
therein lies the problem... hardly any review sites discuss objective 3D measurements (let alone color config in 3D). Every 3D projector drops the lumen output when in 3D mode vs. it's 2D capabilities. This is easily measured and repeatable. The reason it may look 'bright' is because it's likely in some color mode that is way off the charts. But it's 3D so who cares. Some manufacturers also tweak the gamma to increase the perception of brightness (gamma 1.8-2.0) which often fools the eye into thinking the 3D is brighter than it is.

Calibrate to ~ 2.2 and D65 (behind the glasses) and the lumens will plummet. David Mackenzie @ www.hdtvtest.co.uk/ does a great job at covering 3D in an objective way and one of the few to discuss 3D color calibration.


note: the HW55 can easily be calibrated in 3D behind the glasses and looks great when it's done right.

Last edited by zombie10k; 11-10-2014 at 02:42 PM.
zombie10k is online now  
post #1536 of 1988 Old 11-10-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
plissken99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 3,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 22
That is really bizarre, did not know that. Looks plenty bright now(course how could it not lol), I'll have to play with that when I move to the 150in screen.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

 

plissken99 is offline  
post #1537 of 1988 Old 11-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
cbaseuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
My question was on the Sony Hw55ES?




I had an hw30 at one point. Gaming lag was very good. I believe sony is one of the leaders in lag input given the overall quality. As you can see here, sony's score very favorably. This projector, given it's in the same 'series and/or family', should be no different....

Best Low input lag Projector for PS4 gaming?


also, check out the "benchmark test results" here...


http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...1404023700.htm
cbaseuser is offline  
post #1538 of 1988 Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,710
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
My question was on the Sony Hw55ES?


Sorry, 55 has nice low lag times and is a good choice for gaming.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1539 of 1988 Old 11-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Member
 
karan aneja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi

i am in the market to buy a new projector and confused between the sony hw40 and the sony hw55

i will be using this in a dedicated home theatre room.

how are the two different in terms of image quality in 2d and 3d?

is hw55 really worth the extra 1000$

thanks
karan aneja is offline  
post #1540 of 1988 Old 11-11-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,710
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan aneja View Post
hi

i am in the market to buy a new projector and confused between the sony hw40 and the sony hw55

i will be using this in a dedicated home theatre room.

how are the two different in terms of image quality in 2d and 3d?

is hw55 really worth the extra 1000$

thanks
Sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1541 of 1988 Old 11-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anybody measured the brightness of the 55es when using the high cinema mode, before calibration?

Last edited by mptech1; 11-12-2014 at 09:02 PM.
mptech1 is offline  
post #1542 of 1988 Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
silver700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mptech1 View Post
Has anybody measure the brightness of the 55es when using the high cinema mode, before calibration?

I thought i saw the measurements on a projector review website, or maybe even here at AVSForums.
silver700 is offline  
post #1543 of 1988 Old 11-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post
I thought i saw the measurements on a projector review website, or maybe even here at AVSForums.


I thought so too, but after searching the web, I was only able to find the measurement after calibration. I wanted to know the brightness measurement before calibration.
mptech1 is offline  
post #1544 of 1988 Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,710
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by mptech1 View Post
I thought so too, but after searching the web, I was only able to find the measurement after calibration. I wanted to know the brightness measurement before calibration.
I answered this in your other thread where you asked this. At least I seem to remember that it was you that asked. I even provided links. Maybe it was another poster? I will copy and paste this time. Information is from's Art's review of the HW55.

Sony VPL-HW55ES Projector – Brightness by Mode, Mid-zoom
Mode Brightness (Lumens) Color Temp at 100 IRE
Reference 944 6401K
TV 944 6400K
Cinema Film 1 944 6397K
Cinema Film 2 602 5353K
Game 1185 7275K
Photo 612 5364K
Bright Cinema 1044 7492K
Bright TV 1044 7492K
User 944 6402K
As you can figure out from a quick look at the numbers above, while there are 8 different preset modes plus user, that there are really only 5 really different ones in terms of brightness and color temp.

In other words, the first three look the same on the chart, but things like gamma, as well as other image functions have different default values, from otherwise similar modes.

Mike, our calibrator, started with Reference, which he reported to be the most accurate mode, as the basis for his “best” mode calibration. That finished calibration was placed in the User mode! Our calibration page will give all the basic settings (Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, etc.), as well as the grayscale calibration putting Red, Green, and Blue in proper balance around 6500K across the IRE range from full white to dark gray (as low as our gear will go).

- See more at: http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...5es-brightness


In reference mode Mike got 944 lumens at 6401K. The calibrated mode is listed in user and is based on reference mode, since it was the closest to calibrated. Note that calibrated the lumens are the same, 944. And to answer your question regarding Cinema mode, it is also listed in the chart.

Cinema Film 1 944 lumens
Cinema Film 2 602 lumens

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1545 of 1988 Old 11-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I answered this in your other thread where you asked this. At least I seem to remember that it was you that asked. I even provided links. Maybe it was another poster? I will copy and paste this time. Information is from's Art's review of the HW55.

Sony VPL-HW55ES Projector – Brightness by Mode, Mid-zoom
Mode Brightness (Lumens) Color Temp at 100 IRE
Reference 944 6401K
TV 944 6400K
Cinema Film 1 944 6397K
Cinema Film 2 602 5353K
Game 1185 7275K
Photo 612 5364K
Bright Cinema 1044 7492K
Bright TV 1044 7492K
User 944 6402K
As you can figure out from a quick look at the numbers above, while there are 8 different preset modes plus user, that there are really only 5 really different ones in terms of brightness and color temp.

In other words, the first three look the same on the chart, but things like gamma, as well as other image functions have different default values, from otherwise similar modes.

Mike, our calibrator, started with Reference, which he reported to be the most accurate mode, as the basis for his “best” mode calibration. That finished calibration was placed in the User mode! Our calibration page will give all the basic settings (Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, etc.), as well as the grayscale calibration putting Red, Green, and Blue in proper balance around 6500K across the IRE range from full white to dark gray (as low as our gear will go).

- See more at: http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...5es-brightness


In reference mode Mike got 944 lumens at 6401K. The calibrated mode is listed in user and is based on reference mode, since it was the closest to calibrated. Note that calibrated the lumens are the same, 944. And to answer your question regarding Cinema mode, it is also listed in the chart.

Cinema Film 1 944 lumens
Cinema Film 2 602 lumens


Thanks for the reply. I was looking for non-calibrated numbers for cine-bright and thought those measurements on the projector reviews site were after calibration. Maybe I just didn't read the article correctly. I was just curious about the measurements since I will be returning the 55es I bought and may go with the JVC x500, especially if it comes close to the measurements of the sony in cine-bright mode. I will re-read the projector reviews article again. thanks.
mptech1 is offline  
post #1546 of 1988 Old 11-13-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,710
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by mptech1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was looking for non-calibrated numbers for cine-bright and thought those measurements on the projector reviews site were after calibration. Maybe I just didn't read the article correctly. I was just curious about the measurements since I will be returning the 55es I bought and may go with the JVC x500, especially if it comes close to the measurements of the sony in cine-bright mode. I will re-read the projector reviews article again. thanks.
Might want to talk to AVS about the RS4910, since it has a three year warranty vs the two year warranty of the X500 and RS49.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1547 of 1988 Old 11-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Member
 
ajistheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Neither of which are authorized dealers, so no warranty. I have a letter from Sony that specifically states some of the companies selling Sony products on Amazon and that you do not have a warranty if they are not listed on Sony's authorized dealer list. This letter lists several examples of non authorized sellers and Abes of Maine is one of the ones listed. Here is the list of authorized dealers.
http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony...RpSPgd78cJ9QRe

If anybody would like a copy of the Sony letter regarding warranty when purchasing through a non authorized dealer, shoot me or Craig an email requesting it.
You say that amazon.com is not an authorized seller but when I go on Sony's website it lists amazon

would I be covered for the full warranty for purchasing a vplhw55es if I buy from amazon.com?
ajistheman is offline  
post #1548 of 1988 Old 11-13-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,710
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajistheman View Post
You say that amazon.com is not an authorized seller but when I go on Sony's website it lists amazon

would I be covered for the full warranty for purchasing a vplhw55es if I buy from amazon.com?
If buying from Amazon, then yes, but all of those third party sellers on Amazon are not Amazon. You would have to look and see who the seller is. Then see if you can find that company listed on Sony's site. You will not find a single one of them listed.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1549 of 1988 Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,134
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajistheman View Post
You say that amazon.com is not an authorized seller but when I go on Sony's website it lists amazon

would I be covered for the full warranty for purchasing a vplhw55es if I buy from amazon.com?
ALL of the 55's currently available on Amazon's website are from 3rd party sellers that use Amazons seller services. NONE of them are authorized Sony resellers. If you buy a 55 from any of these people you will not have a warranty.

Looky here!
robnix is offline  
post #1550 of 1988 Old 11-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello - I'm new to the forums. I've had my 55ES for three weeks now, projecting on the wall (ceiling mounted) but finally got my screen on Friday. Now that the projector is shooting at the screen, I can see the picture is not square. The upper edge is straight but the lower one is bowed to the center on the picture at the middle. I put the projector on a table and shot at the wall from just a couple of feet away, with no vertical or horizontal shift, and have the same issue.

I've read here in the forum one thread that attributes this to the lens not being perfectly parallel to the screen or the screen not being perfectly flat. A different thread, where the owner had the exact same issue and did the same test I just did, ended up returning the projector to Sony, only to get it back without any repairs indicating it was within acceptable specs, which means this is a know issue or characteristic of the projector.

Not only the lower edge is bowed, but also the picture is not well focused on the corner in question.

I'd appreciate any input on this issue. Is is projector/screen alignment or a projector related issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jdmag26 is offline  
post #1551 of 1988 Old 11-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
mbroder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmag26 View Post
Hello - I'm new to the forums. I've had my 55ES for three weeks now, projecting on the wall (ceiling mounted) but finally got my screen on Friday. Now that the projector is shooting at the screen, I can see the picture is not square. The upper edge is straight but the lower one is bowed to the center on the picture at the middle. I put the projector on a table and shot at the wall from just a couple of feet away, with no vertical or horizontal shift, and have the same issue.

I've read here in the forum one thread that attributes this to the lens not being perfectly parallel to the screen or the screen not being perfectly flat. A different thread, where the owner had the exact same issue and did the same test I just did, ended up returning the projector to Sony, only to get it back without any repairs indicating it was within acceptable specs, which means this is a know issue or characteristic of the projector.

Not only the lower edge is bowed, but also the picture is not well focused on the corner in question.

I'd appreciate any input on this issue. Is is projector/screen alignment or a projector related issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a bowing issue as well, but I don't have any focus uniformity issues. It bothered me at first, but I just enlarge the image enough that it overshoots on to the masking and I don't notice it anymore. I do have masking for 2:35-1 movies, otherwise I think it would disturb me more.


Honestly, everything else from this projector is so good that I decided to not let it bother me instead of sending it back. You never know what you will get if they decide to replace it
mbroder is offline  
post #1552 of 1988 Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,710
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post
I have a bowing issue as well, but I don't have any focus uniformity issues. It bothered me at first, but I just enlarge the image enough that it overshoots on to the masking and I don't notice it anymore. I do have masking for 2:35-1 movies, otherwise I think it would disturb me more.


Honestly, everything else from this projector is so good that I decided to not let it bother me instead of sending it back. You never know what you will get if they decide to replace it
I gave my brother the exact same advice. He has a projector that was nearly perfect in all respects, except for a little bit of bowing. Projector was silent in low lamp, focus uniformity was excellent and convergence was good. He decided to keep it. I think he made the correct decision.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1553 of 1988 Old 11-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Member
 
Ediddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have the 55ES and a integra 80.3 does anyone know if I can control the power of the projector through HDMI?
Ediddy is offline  
post #1554 of 1988 Old 11-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
rms8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern IL just west of Chitown
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymind View Post
Just picked up the 55 this week from Mike at AVS. I can't say enough good things about the high quality of service Mike and AVS provided. This is my 2nd projector from them and both experiences have been great!

The 55 has been an enormous upgrade from my JVC RS2. Amazing difference really. The picture quality out of the box was great and withy 5 minutes of tweaks was spectacular. Paired with the Darbee everything has been amazing so far. I've been particularly impressed with the black levels. It was between this projector and the JVC 4910 and I'm not unhappy in the least with my choice.

This weekend I'll really be able to put it through its paces.

One thing I was very happy with was the ease of setup. From taking it out of the box to starting it up took only about 30-45 minutes. Panel convergence was close to perfect OOTB and I barely had to adjust any of the picture settings from reference. Low lamp, iris to full auto, RC at 15 and the Darbee at 40 has been spot on for everything I've thrown at it so far.

Hi jaymind !

You are using a Darbee and RC combined? I was under the impression that Sony RC performed the same thing as a Darbee?? What model Darbee are you using? Is it a night/day difference using the Darbee?

I ask all these since I considered one (Darbee) a while back but read somewhere that RC was just as good.

Thanks,
Rob

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
April 2015 HToM <> SuperCharged 10 second II
rms8 is offline  
post #1555 of 1988 Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Iamjcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Down South
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A few posts back there was some discussion of input lag on the 55es.

Would this be the same number one would typically enter (in msec.) for a "lipsync" correction on your AVR or Processor ?

Also, I'm still using an older AVR as a processor - a Yamaha RX-V3900 - I'm going to guess about 5 years old maybe - and it has an "auto lipsync" feature.

Supposedly it works with certain monitors - is this something where this AVR and the 55es could "talk" over HDMI to set this value? I can also set it, of course, manually.

Also curious about Rob's post above - I've got a Darbee I used with my VPL-HW10 I just replaced - haven't really considered using that and RC in concert. Interesting...

Thanks!
Iamjcl is offline  
post #1556 of 1988 Old 11-21-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,710
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
A few posts back there was some discussion of input lag on the 55es.

Would this be the same number one would typically enter (in msec.) for a "lipsync" correction on your AVR or Processor ?

Also, I'm still using an older AVR as a processor - a Yamaha RX-V3900 - I'm going to guess about 5 years old maybe - and it has an "auto lipsync" feature.

Supposedly it works with certain monitors - is this something where this AVR and the 55es could "talk" over HDMI to set this value? I can also set it, of course, manually.

Also curious about Rob's post above - I've got a Darbee I used with my VPL-HW10 I just replaced - haven't really considered using that and RC in concert. Interesting...

Thanks!
The Darbee not only sharpens the image, it increases the perceived contrast. I would use the Darbee with the 55. I use my Darbee with my VW600.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1557 of 1988 Old 11-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Member
 
ninjahifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have a question about the free lamp voucher. I believe the expiration date is December of 2015 or 16. I know it's recommened to request it and store it, but why not just wait a year until you would actually use it? Any reason why I should request it now as opposed to next year?
ninjahifi is offline  
post #1558 of 1988 Old 11-21-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,710
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahifi View Post
Have a question about the free lamp voucher. I believe the expiration date is December of 2015 or 16. I know it's recommened to request it and store it, but why not just wait a year until you would actually use it? Any reason why I should request it now as opposed to next year?
Here is what I would do. Use existing lamp 90+ days. Get spare lamp. Remove existing lamp and use spare lamp until it is dead. Install original lamp. This way you are using the lamp for the full 90 day warranty period, so if something happens, you can have it replaced. If the lamp sits stored and never tested, there is a very slight possibility that it is a bad lamp, but now out of warranty.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1559 of 1988 Old 11-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Iamjcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Down South
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mike,

Never kept or used a PJ long enough to change lamps - in the "old days" you could get shading issues and generally needed to heavily re-calibrate the units - esp. the old JVCs. I understand it would be wise to set black levels etc... but is the process more plug and play now (at least with the Sony units)?
Iamjcl is offline  
post #1560 of 1988 Old 11-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Member
 
ninjahifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mike

Thanks for the tip but guess I'm wondering why not wait until you need a new lamp to order the new one? Thereby starting the 90 day when you get the new lamp?
I guess your recommendation is based on not having any projector downtime between lamps? I guess that woulld avoid that.

Or am I just missing a "must order free lamp within x days of original purchase" requirement?
ninjahifi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off