Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1591 of 1601 Old 12-11-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 352
We've got a few HW55's coming in, if anyone is looking for a Christmas present ( for yourself perhaps ? ) !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1592 of 1601 Old 12-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
bytebuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
We've got a few HW55's coming in, if anyone is looking for a Christmas present ( for yourself perhaps ? ) !!
I am sure my wife would be so excited

Craig, not sure if this projector would work for me though. Posting my earlier post
"I have a 90inch (diagonal) Stewart firehawk G3 and my throw distance will be 15 feet
From the calculator posted online, it looks like I need to move the projector closer. This may not be possible in my current setup

I currently have an epson 5010 at the same distance (15 feet) and never really end up using any of the torch modes (living living or dynamic) since most of my viewing is at night with (little or no ambient light)
Any chance that the sony will work for me?"
bytebuster is offline  
post #1593 of 1601 Old 12-11-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,518
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post
I am sure my wife would be so excited

Craig, not sure if this projector would work for me though. Posting my earlier post
"I have a 90inch (diagonal) Stewart firehawk G3 and my throw distance will be 15 feet
From the calculator posted online, it looks like I need to move the projector closer. This may not be possible in my current setup

I currently have an epson 5010 at the same distance (15 feet) and never really end up using any of the torch modes (living living or dynamic) since most of my viewing is at night with (little or no ambient light)
Any chance that the sony will work for me?"
HW55 would not work for you. Max of 13'-9" for the 55. An Epson 5030 or a JVC RS4910 would work for you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1594 of 1601 Old 12-12-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post
I am sure my wife would be so excited

Craig, not sure if this projector would work for me though. Posting my earlier post
"I have a 90inch (diagonal) Stewart firehawk G3 and my throw distance will be 15 feet
From the calculator posted online, it looks like I need to move the projector closer. This may not be possible in my current setup

I currently have an epson 5010 at the same distance (15 feet) and never really end up using any of the torch modes (living living or dynamic) since most of my viewing is at night with (little or no ambient light)
Any chance that the sony will work for me?"

You're not thinking like a proper AVS forum home theater nut. You never move the projector forward - you get a bigger screen. Bigger, always bigger !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1595 of 1601 Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Senior Member
 
bytebuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
ROTFL!
I tried my luck with that. Wife shot that idea down in a heart beat
bytebuster is offline  
post #1596 of 1601 Old 12-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Am I just incredibly unlucky, or do these HW55ES projector all have a problem that after being on for a while they just start to flicker?

I first had a HW50ES, and it worked fine for few months, until it developed a problem where it would just sometimes start to flicker. At first it would happen once a day, but it got worse until I didn't get more than 1-15 minutes of clear picture at a time.

I can't post links, but there's a youtube video under the title "Sony VPL-HW50ES Flicker Issue", which captures what the flicker looks like pretty well. You can see it on a lot of real film content, but of course it looks worse when you have a fully bright scene. (A million ways to die in the west gave me a serious headache)

You can fix the flickering for a little while by just changing picture modes back and forth. And it doesn't happen as easily in bright lamp mode. And no it's not the film mode, and yes I have tested my sources extremely thoroughly, it is clearly the projector acting up. Also, as time goes by, the problem becomes worse, sometimes you can't fix it at all, you just have to ride the storm.

Then I got the projector replaced by HW55ES. This one also worked fine for few months, but now it is flickering exactly the same way.

In both cases the lamp usage is only at around 500 hours or so.

I'll have to get this one replaced too, but seriously, what's going on? Are they all like this? Or am I just unlucky? Do we know what percentage of units might have this problem? The youtube video has collected few comments of people who appear to have the same exact problem.

Thanks in advance...
Ukkeli is offline  
post #1597 of 1601 Old 12-15-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukkeli View Post
Am I just incredibly unlucky, or do these HW55ES projector all have a problem that after being on for a while they just start to flicker?

I first had a HW50ES, and it worked fine for few months, until it developed a problem where it would just sometimes start to flicker. At first it would happen once a day, but it got worse until I didn't get more than 1-15 minutes of clear picture at a time.

I can't post links, but there's a youtube video under the title "Sony VPL-HW50ES Flicker Issue", which captures what the flicker looks like pretty well. You can see it on a lot of real film content, but of course it looks worse when you have a fully bright scene. (A million ways to die in the west gave me a serious headache)

You can fix the flickering for a little while by just changing picture modes back and forth. And it doesn't happen as easily in bright lamp mode. And no it's not the film mode, and yes I have tested my sources extremely thoroughly, it is clearly the projector acting up. Also, as time goes by, the problem becomes worse, sometimes you can't fix it at all, you just have to ride the storm.

Then I got the projector replaced by HW55ES. This one also worked fine for few months, but now it is flickering exactly the same way.

In both cases the lamp usage is only at around 500 hours or so.

I'll have to get this one replaced too, but seriously, what's going on? Are they all like this? Or am I just unlucky? Do we know what percentage of units might have this problem? The youtube video has collected few comments of people who appear to have the same exact problem.

Thanks in advance...

Have you tried running it in high lamp for awhile? Could be a lamp issue - running it on high lamp usually cures this problem

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1598 of 1601 Old 12-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Member
 
Scarriere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine is telling me to clean the filter. I don't have the manual easily accessible atm, and I've looked on youtube. Has anyone done this? Could you give me advice or a link?
Thank you!

*edit.
I used google and got an online manual, so it's all good now.

Last edited by Scarriere; 12-15-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Scarriere is offline  
post #1599 of 1601 Old 12-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Have you tried running it in high lamp for awhile? Could be a lamp issue - running it on high lamp usually cures this problem
I've ran it in high lamp mode for couple of hours at a time, and at least that has not helped the issue. I mean the problem doesn't happen nearly as easily in high lamp mode, but going back to low-lamp mode makes the problem come back quite soon. I have also seen the problem in high lamp mode, but not nearly as often (at least not yet).

Also switching between picture presets usually cures the problem for a little while just like toggling the lamp mode, but then it comes back pretty soon again.

So you have ran into this problem too? Have you seen many units with the same problem? And have you experienced that the problem becomes worse over time?

And most importantly, have you seen units that don't have this problem at all, even after few months of use?

Thanks!
Ukkeli is offline  
post #1600 of 1601 Old 12-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
Mine is telling me to clean the filter. I don't have the manual easily accessible atm, and I've looked on youtube. Has anyone done this? Could you give me advice or a link?
Thank you!
I can't post links so I can't do a "LMGTFY"

Anyway, just google "HW55ES manual", and check out pages 72 and 73. It's super easy to clean. Just make sure you don't let dust get into the projector while the filter is off.
Scarriere likes this.
Ukkeli is offline  
post #1601 of 1601 Unread Today, 01:36 AM
Newbie
 
djxfma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A buyer's question

Hello all,

I am currently thinking of upgrading my Home Theater with a better projector. But I really don't know which one to pick.
My current setup is a room about 380 centimeters wide and 440 long don't now for sure need to meassure again to be sure.
I have an KingPin 104" screen in the length of the room and currently I use an Benq W1070 as projector. And the room is
very dark, I painted all the walls and have dark grey/black carpet to get the best out of the projector.

The projector looks very very sharp but the contrast is not at what I would want it to be at. And the blacks are not that great eather.
I have made some black bars with a wooden frame stapled it and using a few strong earth magnets mounted on the screen frame it
really helpes making the picture better some movies. But the blacks are just mediocore black.

I have read some great thinks of the Sony VPL-HW55ES and the Epson TW9200/5030UB and want to be sure when choosing. I want to
watch 3D in a better way then my Benq W1070 deliverd. Gaming should be good enough to play FPS games also a little lag is no problem here for me.
I really want the best picture and blacks possible with one of thoose two projectors. Also I already have a location for the projector placement.
Don't know for sure how for away from the screen it is I think about 355 centimeter. So I want the projector hang on the same mount and project on my
104" screen.

Which projector would be better? Can someone give me some tips.

Thanks in advice!


Kind regards,
DJXFMA
djxfma is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off