Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 57 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
post #1681 of 1687 Unread Yesterday, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is the mock up for the test, impressions shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 5.19.14 PM.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	497882  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1687 Unread Yesterday, 05:03 PM

Eureka!! It works... I am getting the full black out where my eyes can't adjust in my cave that I want... There is definitely a difference in the lowest IREs

I will post settings when I get the color a little better. I can go very low on brightness (35) and use Low Lamp because I have a fully Black Duvetyne covered room, ceiling walls etc, with no reflections or even a single led.

Just as an idea Red gain is -22 and Red Bias is -9, These are slightly different than the German settings ( by -3 most, they are -19 G and -7 B ) Which could be my bulb (1400 hrs ) or my meter or screen or slight filter variation.

User is the main preset and the Color Setting is Preset 5

This is too cool, it is A LOT of bang for the buck.... it is not placebo...

I came upstairs and looked at my 65" Panasonic VT Plasma and actually think I am getting close if not better under certain conditions and material.

Last edited by tehotaone; Yesterday at 05:09 PM.
post #1683 of 1687 Unread Today, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehotaone View Post
Eureka!! It works... I am getting the full black out where my eyes can't adjust in my cave that I want... There is definitely a difference in the lowest IREs

I will post settings when I get the color a little better. I can go very low on brightness (35) and use Low Lamp because I have a fully Black Duvetyne covered room, ceiling walls etc, with no reflections or even a single led.

Just as an idea Red gain is -22 and Red Bias is -9, These are slightly different than the German settings ( by -3 most, they are -19 G and -7 B ) Which could be my bulb (1400 hrs ) or my meter or screen or slight filter variation.

User is the main preset and the Color Setting is Preset 5

This is too cool, it is A LOT of bang for the buck.... it is not placebo...

I came upstairs and looked at my 65" Panasonic VT Plasma and actually think I am getting close if not better under certain conditions and material.

Great man!,

But dont forget if u use lenshift up or down on the sony,

the lens inside the filter need to be put in steep otherwise you can get some reflecting in the image..
And then you need to put on the lens in wich way you use the lensshift
post #1684 of 1687 Unread Today, 09:42 AM

I have mounted with the projection angle in mind.

Here are two iPhone pics, for proof of concept only, I will break out the tripod and 5dMKII for the final ones.

These are actual frame grabs from a video I did...but the difference here is simply putting the filter in place.

Pretty cool.

Message here for any details if you want to try this for less than $30.00 total parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 11.49.00 AM.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	499426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 9.38.58 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	499874  

Last edited by tehotaone; Today at 12:48 PM.
post #1685 of 1687 Unread Today, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehotaone View Post
I have mounted with the projection angle in mind.

Here are two iPhone pics, for proof of concept only, I will break out the tripod and 5dMKII for the final ones.

These are actual frame grabs from a video I did...but the difference here is simply putting the filter in place.

Pretty cool.

Message here for any details if you want to try this for less than $30.00 total parts.

So the "before" pic is on the left?

I'm going to try this just cause it's so cheap to try but honestly it looks like the picture on the right is just a more properly calibrated image of the one on the left. Are the blacks noticeably darker and I just can't tell from the iPhone pics?

Also how did you account for the lens shift issue?
post #1686 of 1687 Unread Today, 12:40 PM

The point is the filter calibrated the out of control "native" color profile. The lens also has an effect on reducing light scatter and fluorescent illumination of the darker areas.

My point is I believe I replicated the process they are charging $250.00 for ( They should have just sold me one ) Read the whole tuning thread @ cine4home.de (a very reputable site by the way)

The way I have my projector mounted in a soffit, the lens and hood "plugs" the porthole in the sheet rock.. so I just plugged it at the same angle of the light coming out, ( use text or credits paused in a darkened room to see the beam angle) I see no backscatter at all with the filter in place, 0.

The way I can tell my black floor has changed is on a full black out scene, my eyes do not adjust and it would seem to go fully black. If it were not for the slight bright corners these units have the effect would be even more pronounced.

Now, I have the blackest room I have ever personally been in.... is was designed for zero reflections, zero light contamination, and has light absorbing Duvetyne on all surfaces including the full ceiling, and a jet black carpeted floor. There is nothing in there that is not jet black, my phone backlight can be seen on my screen from 21' away, after your eyes adjust

With this being said I am able to discern this difference like it was made for my setup.

30% (quoted by Cine4Home) lower black level for $28.00 is a home run.

Below shows the improvement from their testing (the 3rd pic is without the filter, the last is with it) My cell pics seem to mirror their results. Unfortunately my EyeOne meter will not report a black level this low I am sure.

This is not new, Guy Kuo was doing this when I joined way back in 1999, (I had to rejoin for some reason in 03)
People have gotten away from this due to all the advances, electronics that can achieve similar results. Just not for $30.00. Plus now we have way more efficient light engines with a surplus of lumens when back then 400 lumens calibrated was good.

With all that being said, the black level and contrast presentation rivals my 65" VT Plasma for sure (considering it is projection)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sony_vpl-hw40_es_test_clip_image042.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	499834  

Last edited by tehotaone; Today at 12:56 PM.
post #1687 of 1687 Unread Today, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 42
55ES owner here. Mine was new from an authorized installer/dealer in April 2014. Mounted and used starting in May 2014 - with 500 hours on lamp. I have box, all accessories, warranty and lamp certificate. Assuming all that ... what do you all think is a fair selling price? I also have the Sony 3D RF expansion dongle and Xpand RF 3D glasses adapter -- which I could include.

I am thinking of stepping up to the 600ES. Thanks!

CT

My Bargain Basement Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page