Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #1801 of 2020 Old 03-05-2015, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
I would insist on an exchange (not repair). If you used a good CC (like a almost any Amex) there are a lot of buyer protections. So if you aren't satisfied with the dealer's response -- look into those.
Thank you, Skrill, for another helpful answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2020 Old 03-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
If he got the projector at cost, the dealer already did him more of a favor than he should.
I appreciate your POV Mike -- but at cost or full retail -- if the PJ is busted out of the box, the dealer should swap it out (and I certainly hope he does). I was just pointing out other avenues of redress that could be pursued, IFthe dealer were to refuse to do what should be done.
post #1803 of 2020 Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I appreciate your POV Mike -- but at cost or full retail -- if the PJ is busted out of the box, the dealer should swap it out (and I certainly hope he does). I was just pointing out other avenues of redress that could be pursued, IFthe dealer were to refuse to do what should be done.
I will keep you posted. I am expecting to hear from the dealer today.
post #1804 of 2020 Old 03-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Sent the projector back to the dealer. Once he receives it, a swap will be made.

So, the dealer took good care of me. Hope I don't get another defective projector. I am rather disappointed with Sony that I spent good money on a premier projector like this and it was defective out of the box.
post #1805 of 2020 Old 03-06-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Every manufactured product is going to have a very small percentage of defects. Sony, I believe, is one of the better in that regard. It just sucks when you fall into that minority.

post #1806 of 2020 Old 03-06-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Not saying the dealer does not have any responsibility, just that something does not pass the smell test. Why would the dealer sell a projector at cost is the first red flag. Why could the dealer not use Sony's exchange service? second red flag.

AV Geek for life. :) Contact for advice and help.
My Baffle wall Build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #1807 of 2020 Old 03-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not saying the dealer does not have any responsibility, just that something does not pass the smell test. Why would the dealer sell a projector at cost is the first red flag. Why could the dealer not use Sony's exchange service? second red flag.
Not going into particulars....

I am getting the projector at cost because I know the dealer.

The dealer is going through Sony for the exchange because he had to obtain an RMA from them.
post #1808 of 2020 Old 03-06-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just received my HW55ES and have a few questions.

- Box was damaged in one corner and all four of the bottom Styrofoam pieces were broken. Hopefully the projector works fine, or perhaps this damage was already done to the box and Styrofoam pieces.
- I cannot find the lamp certificate anywhere in the box. Is it 'hidden'? Looked everyone I could think of and leafed through the manual. Kind of a big deal for this to not be in there.
- There were three compartments with 3D glasses and not two.
- Online it says the projector has a 3 year warranty, AVS Sales 5 mentioned it comes with the standard 2 year Sony warranty (which I assumed was a typo, since the standard is 3 year) and in the box there is an insert that says 90 days labor and 1 year parts warranty. So???
- Was told even though this was B Stock came with everything just like regular one.
- Also there is a small cable in the box that looks like Ethernet on one end and PS2 or something on the other end.

Online this is what it says is in the box.
AC Power Cord- Check
Lens Cap - Check
Image Director (downloadable by user) - Supposed to be a key/code card in the box or just everyone can download?
3D Glasses (including battery and pouch) - Check x 3
LMP-H202 Lamp (coupon for extra replacement LMP-H202 included) - Missing coupon, and assuming lamp is there as there is an AVS checklist showing the projector checked out and shows 0 lamp hours.
Operating Instructions - Check
Warranty Card - Check, but confusing since it says 90 day labor and 1 year parts.
Remote - Check

Going to take some screen pictures of my VW40 and then swap them out and turn the HW55ES on and see how everything checks out.

Last edited by Wolfgheist; 03-06-2015 at 02:58 PM.
post #1809 of 2020 Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
- I cannot find the lamp certificate anywhere in the box. Is it 'hidden'? Looked everyone I could think of and leafed through the manual. Kind of a big deal for this to not be in there.
Had the same problem with my Sony. Call them. They will issue you another.
post #1810 of 2020 Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
Not going into particulars....

I am getting the projector at cost because I know the dealer.

The dealer is going through Sony for the exchange because he had to obtain an RMA from them.
Correct, you contact Sony and set up exchange. With the dealer selling to you at cost, I would not complain if exchanged or repaired. Obviously I would prefer exchanged.

post #1811 of 2020 Old 03-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Had the same problem with my Sony. Call them. They will issue you another.
Any particular number, or just generic Sony support number?
post #1812 of 2020 Old 03-09-2015, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I want to improve PQ of my 55es, someone to know if i change power cable on the projector with some from audioquest NRG-X3 or NRG-2, has a chance to improve the PQ ?
post #1813 of 2020 Old 03-10-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilScrappy View Post
I want to improve PQ of my 55es, someone to know if i change power cable on the projector with some from audioquest NRG-X3 or NRG-2, has a chance to improve the PQ ?
No.

Looky here!
post #1814 of 2020 Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
No.
+1
post #1815 of 2020 Old 03-10-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
What is wrong with your PQ?
post #1816 of 2020 Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Nothing wrong, just i ask if is possible, i have 138 inch 2: 35.1 screen and soon plan to buy anamorphic, and i intended to buy ac power cable for projector, but since there is no need and i focus on the anamorphic lens !
post #1817 of 2020 Old 03-10-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Nothing wrong, just i ask if is possible, i have 138 inch 2: 35.1 screen and soon plan to buy anamorphic, and i intended to buy ac power cable for projector, but since there is no need and i focus on the anamorphic lens !
Yes, put the money toward the lens. Much better use of it.

post #1818 of 2020 Old 03-10-2015, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
So, so much no
post #1819 of 2020 Old 03-11-2015, 12:09 AM

Someone from here test this filter for projector, ISOL-8 VMC1080 it worth the investment ?
post #1820 of 2020 Old 03-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

My replacement HW55ES arrived today.

The dealer took very good care of me.

Hope to have it set up in the next few days and keeping my fingers crossed that there are no issues with this one.
Wolfgheist likes this.
post #1821 of 2020 Old 03-11-2015, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,

I am planning to purchase hw55 and make a 22cm high x 50cm wide hole to top of my opposite wall where I would place the projector. I could then throw max 90" screen to opposite wall because length of my room is only about 8 feet (268 cm). I have cabins behind that wall and 22cm free space over them so the projector would kinda come half inside the wall and half over the cabins. Also I could put some panel over the cabins so you couldnt see the projector from another room and at the same time block some sound. The space over the cabins is like 300cm x 60cm x 22 cm so there would be enough air flow for projector to breath. Do you think it would be enough?

I was watching hw55 manual and found this picture. If I put the whole projector to the hole, sonys lens would be somewhere 10 cm from ceiling. Does that mean according to picture that using lens shift I could only throw picture starting from 15cm centimetres from ceiling (look grey area in picture)? That way picture would come way too high to watch in my small room (room being 240 cm high). Does flipping around projector upside down help? Other projectors I have had starts their bottom line of image where their lens is. I cant imagine how stupid this is if its true.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonymount.png
Views:	64
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	597649  
post #1822 of 2020 Old 03-11-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgheist View Post
I just received my HW55ES and have a few questions.

- Box was damaged in one corner and all four of the bottom Styrofoam pieces were broken. Hopefully the projector works fine, or perhaps this damage was already done to the box and Styrofoam pieces.
- There were three compartments with 3D glasses and not two.
- Online it says the projector has a 3 year warranty, AVS Sales 5 mentioned it comes with the standard 2 year Sony warranty (which I assumed was a typo, since the standard is 3 year) and in the box there is an insert that says 90 days labor and 1 year parts warranty. So???
- Was told even though this was B Stock came with everything just like regular one.
- Also there is a small cable in the box that looks like Ethernet on one end and PS2 or something on the other end.

Online this is what it says is in the box.
AC Power Cord- Check
Lens Cap - Check
Image Director (downloadable by user) - Supposed to be a key/code card in the box or just everyone can download?
3D Glasses (including battery and pouch) - Check x 3
LMP-H202 Lamp (coupon for extra replacement LMP-H202 included) - Missing coupon, and assuming lamp is there as there is an AVS checklist showing the projector checked out and shows 0 lamp hours.
Operating Instructions - Check
Warranty Card - Check, but confusing since it says 90 day labor and 1 year parts.
Remote - Check

Going to take some screen pictures of my VW40 and then swap them out and turn the HW55ES on and see how everything checks out.
Is Image Director worth the time spent downloading it, putting it on PC etc... ?
post #1823 of 2020 Old 03-11-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

What is the height of your screen? Take the height and multiply by .21. That number is the max the center of the lens can be above the top of the image. That is also the max distance the center of the lens can be below the bottom of the image. This assumes that you are using zero horizontal lens shift. Also the projector can be mounted anywhere between these two points. So if your screen was 50" high and the top of the image was 70" above the floor, then:

50" x 0.21= 10.5"

Top of image 70" + 10.5" =80.5"
Bottom of image 70"-50"=20"

20"-10.5"=9.5"

Center of lens of projector can be anywhere between 9.5" above finished floor to 80.5" above finished floor. Those are the max limits, if you do not use any lens shift. Now with that said, you should try to have the center of the lens near the top of the image. Below top of the image is even better.

post #1824 of 2020 Old 03-12-2015, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Hi there,

After seeing your post of the black contrast filter I had to have one. I just got it on the mail today and was wondering if you knew the basic calibration the guy did for you, I see the brightness went down but luckily I can adjust that. I'm excited to get it fully calibrated and working!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
A little impression from today,

Today i got the filter and this evening we did a succesfull calibration.
First the product itself:

The product fits perfect on the sony lens and looks good.

After we placed the filter you saw directly that the lumen output got worse,
But gladly the sony has enough lumens to spare.

So this we could compensate easy.
For calibration details i cant comment thats a part of the guy who did it for me.y

Ofcourse where the colors way off before the calibration,but after they where good again.

After watching some of my favourite scenes i can comment that indeed the black level is better(as was this already very good on the sony)

So if you wanne push the sony to its limits then this is a nice option.
post #1825 of 2020 Old 03-12-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
What is the height of your screen? Take the height and multiply by .21. That number is the max the center of the lens can be above the top of the image. That is also the max distance the center of the lens can be below the bottom of the image. This assumes that you are using zero horizontal lens shift. Also the projector can be mounted anywhere between these two points. So if your screen was 50" high and the top of the image was 70" above the floor, then:

50" x 0.21= 10.5"

Top of image 70" + 10.5" =80.5"
Bottom of image 70"-50"=20"

20"-10.5"=9.5"

Center of lens of projector can be anywhere between 9.5" above finished floor to 80.5" above finished floor. Those are the max limits, if you do not use any lens shift. Now with that said, you should try to have the center of the lens near the top of the image. Below top of the image is even better.
I am planning to make about 76" wide image and 42" high. My room is 96" high. If I mount the projector to the hole in top of my wall which is my only option with this projector, the lens is going to be about 92.5" high from floor. I calculated that the top of image would be at best 79" from floor, which is way too high to watch. I was actually planning the top of image to be near 64" inch from floor so there is 15" gap. I like when middle of screen is near my eyes level diagonally.

One possibility is to tilt the projector about 10 degrees so it would lower the image necessary 15" at that distance. Using this I should then use keystone correction. Is this option totally ruining the picture so there is no point bying an expensive projector and therefore I should buy something like benq w1070.

Another option is to buy an expencive navitar screenstar hd lens which I am not going to buy unless I get it used at fair price. Normal navitar lenses are sold at good price but not sure they will do the job good enough. 0.8x hd would do the job.

Third option is use a mirror which my wife have not yet approved
post #1826 of 2020 Old 03-12-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpejoo View Post
I am planning to make about 76" wide image and 42" high. My room is 96" high. If I mount the projector to the hole in top of my wall which is my only option with this projector, the lens is going to be about 92.5" high from floor. I calculated that the top of image would be at best 79" from floor, which is way too high to watch. I was actually planning the top of image to be near 64" inch from floor so there is 15" gap. I like when middle of screen is near my eyes level diagonally.

One possibility is to tilt the projector about 10 degrees so it would lower the image necessary 15" at that distance. Using this I should then use keystone correction. Is this option totally ruining the picture so there is no point bying an expensive projector and therefore I should buy something like benq w1070.

Another option is to buy an expencive navitar screenstar hd lens which I am not going to buy unless I get it used at fair price. Normal navitar lenses are sold at good price but not sure they will do the job good enough. 0.8x hd would do the job.

Third option is use a mirror which my wife have not yet approved
Tilting the projector slightly is okay, as long as you tilt the screen, so that the projector lens is parallel with the screen. You do not want to use keystone correction. I think the W1070 has less lens shift than the Sony. The Epson 5030 has a lot of lens shift. More lens shift than you should use. Always best if you can get the lens of the projector close to the top of the image. What about going to a larger screen, so that the top of the image is closer to the projector lens?

post #1827 of 2020 Old 03-12-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
My replacement HW55ES arrived today.

The dealer took very good care of me.

Hope to have it set up in the next few days and keeping my fingers crossed that there are no issues with this one.

Good to hear.

Which screen/brand did you end up getting?

post #1828 of 2020 Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Tilting the projector slightly is okay, as long as you tilt the screen, so that the projector lens is parallel with the screen. You do not want to use keystone correction. I think the W1070 has less lens shift than the Sony. The Epson 5030 has a lot of lens shift. More lens shift than you should use. Always best if you can get the lens of the projector close to the top of the image. What about going to a larger screen, so that the top of the image is closer to the projector lens?
My room is only about 8 feet long to throw image and with w1070 I could mount the projector upside down right there where I want its top of image to start, which would be around that 64" from floor +-10% lens shift. See picture. I play lot of ps4 games so input lag is a minor thing for me so not so many options like epson. Also I dont like a very noisy projectors. I would like to purchase a good projector because it comes to house I am going to live a long time so w1070 is not just quite what I am looking for but good compromise.

At that distance I think my 76" wide image is at the limits what comes to screen size. Any wider and It gets heavy to watch movies. The real viewing distance is more like 7 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	benq.png
Views:	66
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	599281  
post #1829 of 2020 Old 03-12-2015, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Good to hear.

Which screen/brand did you end up getting?
Carada 118"
post #1830 of 2020 Old 03-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Guys!

Looking for some first-time ownership help from some of you.

First...

I am the guy that got my Sony 55ES last week and it was defective. Replacement installed today and this one is a winner!

That out of the way, I need advice on picture settings and how to access them. The latter part I can figure out myself as I am an experienced Home Theater display owner -- just not projector.

I have a Samsung F8500 plasma so I know what a picture should look like.

Out of the box, watching movies on HBO (have not yet looked at Blu-ray as the installer just left), the picture kind of has that "soap opera" look to it. Maybe it's the TV feed. However, I know on my Samsung plasma, I had to go to specific settings to get that film-like picture.

What settings should I have this projector on for best picture? I don't want that soap-opera affect.

I know this has been asked already in this thread, but I just don't have time to backtrack.

Any advice on optimal settings would be appreciated. Going to have this projector calibrated in the next few weeks as soon as I get some hours on it.

Nice to be here with all of you. You guys have been tremendously kind to me thus far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page