Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 62 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes
post #1831 of 1845 Old 03-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
Hey Guys!

Looking for some first-time ownership help from some of you.

First...

I am the guy that got my Sony 55ES last week and it was defective. Replacement installed today and this one is a winner!

That out of the way, I need advice on picture settings and how to access them. The latter part I can figure out myself as I am an experienced Home Theater display owner -- just not projector.

I have a Samsung F8500 plasma so I know what a picture should look like.

Out of the box, watching movies on HBO (have not yet looked at Blu-ray as the installer just left), the picture kind of has that "soap opera" look to it. Maybe it's the TV feed. However, I know on my Samsung plasma, I had to go to specific settings to get that film-like picture.

What settings should I have this projector on for best picture? I don't want that soap-opera affect.

I know this has been asked already in this thread, but I just don't have time to backtrack.

Any advice on optimal settings would be appreciated. Going to have this projector calibrated in the next few weeks as soon as I get some hours on it.

Nice to be here with all of you. You guys have been tremendously kind to me thus far.
Soap Opera = Motion Enhancer is on, turn it off. Also make sure film projection mode is off (for now). The latter causes a flicker with 24p content.

Use Reference Mode (and other settings you plan to use) and a calibration disk to set your brightness and contrast. I use Bright Cinema when watching TV and sports.

Also - set Reality Creation to 20ish -- that seems to be a good level to get sharpness, without a lot of noise.

More on settings here (try the reviewer's settings as a starting point): http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...ibration-page/

Read the review though -- they seem to think the out of the box color and grayscale settings are pretty much spot perfect -- so not sure you really NEED a calibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1845 Old 03-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Skrill,

Thank You. Will print your instructions out and look it over the weekend.

I take it that I should be able to find all these settings easily?

Also, what is the average fully powered from off to on time with this projector?
post #1833 of 1845 Old 03-14-2015, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I ended up propably using mirror with sony-vplhw55.

I need an acoustically transparent screen since I have integrated speakers in wall from last owner. So screen has to be not perforated because screen will be less than inch from speakers. My top choise is DIY seymours center stage UF faabric, gain 0.8/1.0 ( does that mean I can get it with both gains?). It has no visible holes looking from about 7 feet. Does that fabric work well with vpl-hw55. My room is very dark and small with black walls. Is there any better options?

post #1834 of 1845 Old 03-14-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Soap Opera = Motion Enhancer is on, turn it off. Also make sure film projection mode is off (for now). The latter causes a flicker with 24p content.

Use Reference Mode (and other settings you plan to use) and a calibration disk to set your brightness and contrast. I use Bright Cinema when watching TV and sports.

Also - set Reality Creation to 20ish -- that seems to be a good level to get sharpness, without a lot of noise.

More on settings here (try the reviewer's settings as a starting point): http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...ibration-page/

Read the review though -- they seem to think the out of the box color and grayscale settings are pretty much spot perfect -- so not sure you really NEED a calibration.
The settings from this review worked spendidly here, subjectively speaking. I actually passed on having one of the best calibrators going work on it while he was on tour recently, and I've used him before, because I just didn't think the picture needed any work.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #1835 of 1845 Old 03-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
The settings from this review worked spendidly here, subjectively speaking. I actually passed on having one of the best calibrators going work on it while he was on tour recently, and I've used him before, because I just didn't think the picture needed any work.

Hey, please pm me with contact info on the calibrator.
Thanks
post #1836 of 1845 Old 03-16-2015, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The Motion Enhancer on high is crappy as hell. I do advise to at least try it on LOW. I really enjoy the LOW setting. It makes the pans much more better to watch. With 24P content and without motion enhancer, the judder is very noticable on the HW55. In every scene.......

Last edited by Loondijke; 03-17-2015 at 02:52 AM.
post #1837 of 1845 Old 03-16-2015, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loondijke View Post
The Motion Enhancer on high is crappy as hell. I do advise to at least try it on LOW. I really enjoy the LOW setting. It makes the pans much more better to watch. With 24P content the judder is very noticable on the HW55. In every scene.......
It is pretty good on low. I like it for Sports - but less so for movies. Definitely a taste thing - and a setting worth playing with.
post #1838 of 1845 Old 03-16-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpejoo View Post
So I ended up propably using mirror with sony-vplhw55.

I need an acoustically transparent screen since I have integrated speakers in wall from last owner. So screen has to be not perforated because screen will be less than inch from speakers. My top choise is DIY seymours center stage UF faabric, gain 0.8/1.0 ( does that mean I can get it with both gains?). It has no visible holes looking from about 7 feet. Does that fabric work well with vpl-hw55. My room is very dark and small with black walls. Is there any better options?

0.8 is the actual gain. 1.0 is the industry gain. In other words the fudged gain like many of the other manufacturers do. UF is the best option for you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1839 of 1845 Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Really loving this projector. Of course, Blu-rays look the most spectacular.

Not so great with HD television. You can see the slight mosquito noise in the compression.

It's an adjustment from watching my Samsung 64" F8500 plasma.
post #1840 of 1845 Old 03-19-2015, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Really loving this projector. Of course, Blu-rays look the most spectacular.

Not so great with HD television. You can see the slight mosquito noise in the compression.

It's an adjustment from watching my Samsung 64" F8500 plasma.
Ronald -- try this:

Set up Reference as your prime setting for blu ray and other really clean sources (like high bit rate TV channels -- HBO for example).

Set up Film 1 as your less then prime setting. For this one I would turn on mosquito and block NR to taste (I did used both at medium setting). The noise filters on the 55 are pretty good -- and I found that the trade off of less noise versus softer picture was worth it on content like Walking Dead. I know ... Walking Dead is supposed to have a noisey noire look -- but I like the NR on just the same.

Set up Bright Cinema for sports -- and turn on you motion smoothing (I put it on low).

Obviously experiment and set it up to your tastes. But I am just noting that the 55 has some great settings to tailor the performance to the quality and type of content you are watching. No reason to live with a noisey picture.
post #1841 of 1845 Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Skrill,

You are the best!

Without the remote in hand, I take it that there are memory modes?

How do you turn on mosquito and block NR?

Thanks for all your assistance
post #1842 of 1845 Old 03-19-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is the software that you can download from sony any good?
post #1843 of 1845 Old 03-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Skrill,

You are the best!

Without the remote in hand, I take it that there are memory modes?

How do you turn on mosquito and block NR?

Thanks for all your assistance
Remote has buttons to quick jump to all nine presets (they are at the top of the remote -- just under the power button). You can set them all independently -- i.e., you can set Ref to have no noise reduction, and set Film 1 to have NR, and they will remember your settings.

NR can be set by pressing Menu -- go to the "Expert Settings" -- you will see it right there.

Last edited by Skrill; 03-19-2015 at 11:48 AM.
post #1844 of 1845 Old Today, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quick question....

Is there an Ethernet connection to this projector?

Don't see one. How does the projector receive firmware updates?
post #1845 of 1845 Unread Today, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quick question....

Is there an Ethernet connection to this projector?

Don't see one. How does the projector receive firmware updates?
No ethernet that I recall. I also never updated the firmware as I was not aware of any updates being available for the 55ES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page