Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 63 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 36Likes
post #1861 of 1878 Unread 04-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilScrappy View Post
i wondered for option for movies called film projection, if there a people to tell me, it is good or bad to turned on when wath movie?
Whne is turned ot i see better more deep contrast, but there was an unpleasant flickering effect ?
It is a black frame insertion mode -- designed to add a "film like" flicker to 24p content. I didn't like the way it looked -- and most don't. So I kept it off.

I think the "increased contrast" you are seeing is just do the the picture getting slightly darker overall.

Last edited by Skrill; 04-09-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1878 Unread 04-10-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Have some specials going on right now. Give myself or Craig a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1863 of 1878 Unread 04-12-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anybody have any information on when a replacement for this projector is coming out?

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1864 of 1878 Unread 04-12-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Does anybody have any information on when a replacement for this projector is coming out?
Most like to be introduced this fall at IFA and CEDIA and shipping by the end of November. This is not assured, but likely what will happen.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1865 of 1878 Unread 04-13-2015, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Curious if anyone here has had issues with overheating if placing this too close to a wall? The manual states to have at least a foot of distance on all sides. The projector in my placement would be only 3-4 inches from the rear of it to the wall, all the other sides would be fine. Thanks!

post #1866 of 1878 Unread 04-13-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Curious if anyone here has had issues with overheating if placing this too close to a wall? The manual states to have at least a foot of distance on all sides. The projector in my placement would be only 3-4 inches from the rear of it to the wall, all the other sides would be fine. Thanks!

You could install a small computer fan or two to keep air moving, if you had to. The intake is in the rear - the exhaust in the front.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1867 of 1878 Unread 04-13-2015, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Most like to be introduced this fall at IFA and CEDIA and shipping by the end of November. This is not assured, but likely what will happen.

Oh man, now I don't know what to do. Our house likely won't be finished being built until September. Should I wait for the new version? I don't want to purchase the 55es now as I don't have a setup to accommodate it yet.
post #1868 of 1878 Unread 04-14-2015, 05:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamull View Post
Oh man, now I don't know what to do. Our house likely won't be finished being built until September. Should I wait for the new version? I don't want to purchase the 55es now as I don't have a setup to accommodate it yet.
You should wait. Good chance of delay on your house and you will have plenty to do when you first move into a new home.
Skrill and ultra 150 pilot like this.

post #1869 of 1878 Unread 04-14-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have my 55 4 inches from the wall on a shelf. over 3k hours on the bulb and no issues. Still loving it.
post #1870 of 1878 Unread 04-14-2015, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, I had a curious thing happen with my 55. I was having issues with the picture quality - the picture was noisy in light, bright scenes, mostly shots of clear sky's, etc. As a last resort before I got rid of the 55 I switched out my LG blu ray player with a clearance Sony blu ray player from Costco and it instantly fixed my issues. I was happy and pissed at the same time. I never imagined that my old boy ray p!ayer was doing something "bad" with the picture. Didnt notice it on my old RS1 but it was noticeable with the 55.

In the end, a $65 blu ray player fixed my video quality issues. I'm still a little flabbergasted by that!
post #1871 of 1878 Unread 04-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
You should wait. Good chance of delay on your house and you will have plenty to do when you first move into a new home.
Agree -- until you are 5 days from being ready to mount the PJ, I would not order it now.

I ordered mine 2 months prior to my house being ready -- and it did me no good. I got a decent price - but I could have gotten it for a decent price later, and would have had more choice (the RS49 came out in those two months).

In the end -- I would have still chosen the 55ES for my application -- but it did me no good to tie up the funds for two months.
post #1872 of 1878 Unread 04-17-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Agree -- until you are 5 days from being ready to mount the PJ, I would not order it now.

I ordered mine 2 months prior to my house being ready -- and it did me no good. I got a decent price - but I could have gotten it for a decent price later, and would have had more choice (the RS49 came out in those two months).

In the end -- I would have still chosen the 55ES for my application -- but it did me no good to tie up the funds for two months.

Plus, you really need to be able to run the projector and test that it is working, and didn't get damaged internally due to shipping, immediately after receiving it. If you wait too long, your options for replacing a defective unit get narrowed down.

If anyone is thinking about getting an HW55, it's a great time to do so - AV Science has plenty in stock too !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1873 of 1878 Unread 04-18-2015, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I must be going mad surely, or there is something going on with my eyes, but i could swear that the motion handling has somehow gotten worse recently. I was playing Bloodborne on PS4, and people who know the game knows that you tend to run around in the same locations quite a bit so they become quite familiar to the player..well, i started noticing that the was game getting more blurry than it was before. I thought it was my imagination playing tricks on me, but i've started to notice this type of stuff while watching movies as well! Seem like the projector has a hard time keeping up in many scenes, especially fast moving ones i.e fight scenes in the new Daredevil show, but sometimes even in slow pans the whole picture gets really blurry...I have roughly 2100 hours clocked on the lamp but surely thats not the issue here..
post #1874 of 1878 Unread Yesterday, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just purchased the 55es yesterday now looking to buy a screen . What's the max screen size I can put and still be bright enough for 3D movies ?.
post #1875 of 1878 Unread Yesterday, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Reaper_SKN View Post
I just purchased the 55es yesterday now looking to buy a screen . What's the max screen size I can put and still be bright enough for 3D movies ?.
I have a 118" diagonal from Carada Screens with a throw distance of about 16 feet.

Very bright for 3D images, which I was initially afraid of as well.
post #1876 of 1878 Unread Yesterday, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hey guys, quick heads up: I just listed my Xpand RF adapter + VESA cable in the classifieds for a good discounted price off of MSRP for anyone with an HW55ES that wants to jump to RF 3D glasses.
post #1877 of 1878 Unread Yesterday, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just need confirmation... Owners here happy with a Chief RPAU or RPMAU mount?

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1878 of 1878 Unread Today, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Guys I only have to options for screens which is an elite screens or silver ticket( only ones I can import) can find any other screen company than I can import from . My room is pretty big so I was looking at getting acoustically transparent screen 2.35:1 going to using the zoom method with lumagen. Was looking to go with a 138inch screen or bigger if possible . Willing to sacrifice the acoustical transparent screen if I can go bigger .
Will appreciate any assistance with wha size and screen material to go with. And whether the 55es will be bright enough . My room is a dedicated theater with full lighting control .

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector