Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #1951 of 1953 Old 06-13-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
What were the four previous projectors? Because the Sony is a hell of a lot sharper than my last one, the JVC RS46.
You must have had a bad lens sample then. The lens on the JVC is a lot nicer than the one on the HW55 (and HW30/40/50..same lens as this one). That's the one downfall about this unit; it's lens. Most users have some form of focus uniformity issue. I know with my HW30ES there was a little and it felt like I could never focus down on pixels as well as other LCoS projectors I've had here. With content though it's sometimes hard to see the slightly soft image (by comparison) it was throwing. Though I'm assuming you use Reality Creation on the HW55ES? This can give the impression of "more sharp" but it's not a form of natural sharpness and I was never a fan of RC. It's very aggressive. I normally keep it off or at a very low level on my VW1100ES.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495

Last edited by Seegs108; 06-13-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1953 Old 06-26-2015, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought this projector in hopes that it had a better FI (Frame Interpolation) feature then my Panasonic PT-AE4000.
It does better in some scenes, but not in others, turning the setting to low still introduces some artifacts eg. "Song Of The Sea" at 13:29 where the light house light turns and hovers over the shore town, the 55ES can't deal with this scene at all. The AE4000 can't either, but for 5600.00$ I would want a new projector to be able to deal with this scene.
The 55ES works well on "Kingsman, The Secret Service" at the parachute scene _ Motion Flow is turned to "High" _ I have to turn my 4000 to "Low" before it can deal with that scene".
Sony can make a FI engine that does work, I was playing around with this TV and the Light House Scene was fine.

http://store.sony.com/49-class-48.5-...ny-ces-2015-tv

I played with the settings until I found a "happy medium", but the Motion Flow settings on the 55ES are very limited compared the TV.
The 55ES appears to have "Low" and "High" for Motion Flow and "on" and "off" for "Film Projection" (which is Sony's black-frame insertion, I am assuming).
The Film Projection mode does absolutely nothing to deal with 24 fps judder and as discussed in this thread introduces this very annoying flicking _ it's quite a useless function. I am up to page 55 in this thread and I haven't come across any one who cares for it and I can't imagine anyone who will.
Those are the only settings I could find _ am I missing something ??? (not a rhetorical question)

As for contrast, picture sharpness and colour, I am still quite happy with my 4000, the Sony is better, but not by much, I would have to set them up side by side to nit-pick at the differences.

So with the disappointing and limited function of Sony's Motion Flow, I am sending it back to Sony.
I'll stow the 5600.00$ back in the bank and see what comes up by the end of the year.

There is talk of the 55ES being replaced so maybe it will have the new Motion Flow engine that's present in the 350/300ES _ maybe that will be better.

Last edited by JeffR1; 06-26-2015 at 03:57 PM.
post #1953 of 1953 Old 06-29-2015, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here is some further information of my impressions of the 55ES to do with 3D.
Know that I have never owned a projector with 3D, but I do know what cross-talk/ghosting is and I was looking for this.
I have one 3D Blu-ray, "Box Trolls".
I used my HTPC which has Power DVD14 and a GTX980 for 3D processing.
I had to set the 3D application in the NVIDIA control panel _ and if I remember correctly NVIDIA applies stereoscopic 3D.

The 3D effect was quite startling and clear with no cross talk or at least non that I could detect.
I used the IR glasses that came with the projector of course and they worked well.
Having got through this whole thread, there have been many complaints of how heavy these glasses are and that they can loose contact with the projector if you're just not in the right position.
I suppose after a long while the glasses could become heavy and uncomfortable.
The projector is over my head so I had no problem loosing sync. with the glasses.
Moving my head around produced no cross-talk, that was also another complaint.
The projector goes into a high lamp mode while the 3D is on _ removing the glasses reveals an overly bright picture _ it was hard on my eyes.
My screen is this (.9 gain) and the projector is about 10 feet away on a 100 inch screen.

http://www.da-lite.com/screen-surfac...progressive-09

So if one is looking for a 3D projector, I would recommend this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector