Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 47Likes
post #2011 of 2033 Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Sent you a PM.
hi,

i am also in the same situation debating between 40ES and 55ES. Is 1K really worth spending on 55ES?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2033 Old 08-18-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by annamreddy View Post
hi,

i am also in the same situation debating between 40ES and 55ES. Is 1K really worth spending on 55ES?
To some people it is and to others it is not. If your viewing is all sports, then the iris will mean less to you. If a lot of movie viewing, then the iris will matter more. Shoot me a PM if you would like to discuss further.

AV Geek for life. :) Contact for advice and help.
My Baffle wall Build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #2013 of 2033 Old 08-18-2015, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by annamreddy View Post
hi,

Just got word from an authorized dealer that they will be having a sale starting on 23 August and the 55ES will be on sale for $2,999. PM me and I will let you know the shop.
post #2014 of 2033 Old 08-18-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRookieTheatre View Post
Just got word from an authorized dealer that they will be having a sale starting on 23 August and the 55ES will be on sale for $2,999. PM me and I will let you know the shop.
Do not have to use a specific shop. It is a Sony sale, not a dealer sale. Call your favorite Sony dealer.

post #2015 of 2033 Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Do not have to use a specific shop. It is a Sony sale, not a dealer sale. Call your favorite Sony dealer.
Thanks for clearing that up Mike. I didn't realize it was a Sony sale across the board.

BTW, mind if I ask what your thoughts would be on the 55ES and a SI Series 5 Slate or Pure White/Gray screen combo in a room with no windows, (100% light controlled), 1st row sitting at about 11 1/2 to 12 feet and second row sitting about 17 feet. Would there be another screen you would recommend for this projector. I have not purchased any of the equipment yet and was initially looking at the Epson side of the house and I posted on the forum for Projectors under 3K. However, with the Sony sale happening, I've heard a lot of people say they love the 55ES.
post #2016 of 2033 Old 08-18-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up Mike. I didn't realize it was a Sony sale across the board.

BTW, mind if I ask what your thoughts would be on the 55ES and a SI Series 5 Slate or Pure White/Gray screen combo in a room with no windows, (100% light controlled), 1st row sitting at about 11 1/2 to 12 feet and second row sitting about 17 feet. Would there be another screen you would recommend for this projector. I have not purchased any of the equipment yet and was initially looking at the Epson side of the house and I posted on the forum for Projectors under 3K. However, with the Sony sale happening, I've heard a lot of people say they love the 55ES.
Be happy to talk to you. Give me a call or shoot me an email.

post #2017 of 2033 Old 08-22-2015, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Through the '00s I was upgrading from one 3LCD projector to another every 2 years like clockwork. Then things sort of hit a plateau, new models stopping coming out every year, and the differences stopped being as major. According to the receipt I just dug up, I bought my Panasonic PT-AE7000 all the way back in 2011, making it 4 years old. Do I still enjoy it? Yeah, it's alright, but the black levels are meh and the focus isn't great.

Anyway, there are some great deals for the HW55ES out there so I'm considering an upgrade. If I said that my primary two wants are "better blacks" and "higher native/ANSI/intrascene contrast" am I going to think the HW55ES is worth the purchase, or will it be too similar to what I've already got? I know the answer is always "it depends" so just go with your gut reaction. I guess I'm basically asking, "Have there been enough advances in the last 4 years to justify a new few thousand dollar purchase?"

Last edited by xamphear; 08-22-2015 at 08:38 AM.
post #2018 of 2033 Old 08-22-2015, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamphear View Post
Through the '00s I was upgrading from one 3LCD projector to another every 2 years like clockwork. Then things sort of hit a plateau, new models stopping coming out every year, and the differences stopped being as major. According to the receipt I just dug up, I bought my Panasonic PT-AE7000 all the way back in 2011, making it 4 years old. Do I still enjoy it? Yeah, it's alright, but the black levels are meh and the focus isn't great.

Anyway, there are some great deals for the HW55ES out there so I'm considering an upgrade. If I said that my primary two wants are "better blacks" and "higher native/ANSI/intrascene contrast" am I going to think the HW55ES is worth the purchase, or will it be too similar to what I've already got? I know the answer is always "it depends" so just go with your gut reaction. I guess I'm basically asking, "Have there been enough advances in the last 4 years to justify a new few thousand dollar purchase?"
Here's your generic answer _ wait until after CEDIA... I am sure the deals for the 55 are tempting, but if it were me, I would wait _ this is my gut reaction.
I believe there is a new model that's planned to replace the 55es and hopefully it will have motorized zoom and focus _ if that's important to you.
The new one should have a better FI engine and again, if that's important.
When I compared my Panny 4000 to the 55es, I found the Sony to be sharper and have better ANSI contrast, but the overall black levels were about the same.
There is a space scene in Avatar at the beginning of the movie when it shows the transport arriving at Pandora _ this is sort of my reference scene for black levels.
This scene could be made to look pretty good on both projectors, but know that I'm not sensitive black levels. Even when I opened the iris right up on the 55, it still looked just fine, while others would find it unacceptable.
SimpleTheater likes this.

Last edited by JeffR1; 08-22-2015 at 09:07 AM.
post #2019 of 2033 Old 09-01-2015, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys. I have been holding off on using my free lamp voucher since the code is valid through 12/31/2016. I decided to go look at the lamp on the Sony store and there was a notice at the top that they will no longer be taking orders. I tried to search for the lamp and I was taken to their new, very annoying, website. Does anyone know how we are supposed to use our vouchers at this point? Thanks.
post #2020 of 2033 Old 09-01-2015, 06:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Here's your generic answer _ wait until after CEDIA... I am sure the deals for the 55 are tempting, but if it were me, I would wait _ this is my gut reaction.
I believe there is a new model that's planned to replace the 55es and hopefully it will have motorized zoom and focus _ if that's important to you.
The new one should have a better FI engine and again, if that's important.
When I compared my Panny 4000 to the 55es, I found the Sony to be sharper and have better ANSI contrast, but the overall black levels were about the same.
There is a space scene in Avatar at the beginning of the movie when it shows the transport arriving at Pandora _ this is sort of my reference scene for black levels.
This scene could be made to look pretty good on both projectors, but know that I'm not sensitive black levels. Even when I opened the iris right up on the 55, it still looked just fine, while others would find it unacceptable.
I would not expect the 55 replacement to have lens memory. Also the replacement will most likely cost 1K more than the current ($2,999) price of the 55, so that has to be weighed in the decision to buy now or wait.

post #2021 of 2033 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

I talked to a customer service representative at Sony today. They said that they do not currently have a process in place for redeeming the free lamp voucher now that the store is closed. She said they will be receiving that information in a few weeks and that voucher will be honored. So I will call back in a couple of weeks and see how it goes.
post #2022 of 2033 Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Eye View Post
I talked to a customer service representative at Sony today. They said that they do not currently have a process in place for redeeming the free lamp voucher now that the store is closed. She said they will be receiving that information in a few weeks and that voucher will be honored. So I will call back in a couple of weeks and see how it goes.
Yep, I contacted our Sony rep last week and asked him about this. I too am waiting on the new procedure. Also, the web link for authorized Sony dealers is down, due to the Sony store change.

post #2023 of 2033 Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Glad to hear their keeping up with that, I'm in the same boat, I don't want to redeem mine till December. Looks like I'll make it too, this is my first projector with more than 2000 hours, it's heaven!

How long have your bulbs lasted? I'm around 1,700 and it's still plenty bright.
post #2024 of 2033 Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Thank you for the heads up! I am helping a friend of mine build a home theater and he has been waiting on a good price from an authorized seller for the Sony VPL-HW55ES. It took a LOT of googling but I finally found the Sony authorized seller that had them at $2,999 and he bought one. The offer expires 9/5...only two left. I don't think I am allowed to post where but if you google "Sony VPL-HW55ES only 2 left" I think you'll find it. They are an authorized dealer so cross-reference this list to make sure you've found the correct one: http://www.sony.com/retailers

Last edited by replayreb; Yesterday at 09:33 PM.
post #2025 of 2033 Old Today, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayreb View Post
Thank you for the heads up! I am helping a friend of mine build a home theater and he has been waiting on a good price from an authorized seller for the Sony VPL-HW55ES. It took a LOT of googling but I finally found the Sony authorized seller that had them at $2,999 and he bought one. The offer expires 9/5...only two left. I don't think I am allowed to post where but if you google "Sony VPL-HW55ES only 2 left" I think you'll find it. They are an authorized dealer so cross-reference this list to make sure you've found the correct one: http://www.sony.com/retailers
This is not a sale a single dealer is offering. This is a Sony sale. All authorized dealers are selling the 55 for $2,999. Their sale on the 55 may end on the 5th, but for the rest of the Sony dealers it does not.

post #2026 of 2033 Old Today, 05:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
Glad to hear their keeping up with that, I'm in the same boat, I don't want to redeem mine till December. Looks like I'll make it too, this is my first projector with more than 2000 hours, it's heaven!

How long have your bulbs lasted? I'm around 1,700 and it's still plenty bright.
Most of our customers are getting between 2,000 and 3,000 hours on their lamps, before ordering a replacement.

post #2027 of 2033 Old Today, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So... I'm getting ready to begin work on finishing out my basement. I've been eyeing the HW40 and HW55 for a year or so now and with the current sales I'm getting an itchy trigger finger even though I have nowhere to put a projector at the moment.

I game a lot, and the projector will be used for gaming, movies, and TV. I feel that the extra $$$ for the hw55 is worth it; however, I can't help but feel that it's a little foolish for me to go ahead and buy a projector. Should I just go with a hw40 and wait a few years for 4k projectors to come down in price? Should I wait to see if the hw65 offers any noticeable improvements over the 55? Or should I just go ahead and take the plunge on the hw55?
post #2028 of 2033 Old Today, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Do we know how long the current Sony sale price on the 55 is to be in effect?
I need another month. Thanks.
post #2029 of 2033 Old Today, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
Do we know how long the current Sony sale price on the 55 is to be in effect?
I need another month. Thanks.
Until they are gone. Sony has priced these to move them quickly. Looking at Sony's inventory, it is almost half, what it was a week or two ago.

post #2030 of 2033 Old Today, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophcy0 View Post
So... I'm getting ready to begin work on finishing out my basement. I've been eyeing the HW40 and HW55 for a year or so now and with the current sales I'm getting an itchy trigger finger even though I have nowhere to put a projector at the moment.

I game a lot, and the projector will be used for gaming, movies, and TV. I feel that the extra $$$ for the hw55 is worth it; however, I can't help but feel that it's a little foolish for me to go ahead and buy a projector. Should I just go with a hw40 and wait a few years for 4k projectors to come down in price? Should I wait to see if the hw65 offers any noticeable improvements over the 55? Or should I just go ahead and take the plunge on the hw55?
I have been gaming on projectors for about 10 years and I have owned quite a few in that time including Epson and Panasonic models. The HW55ES has been by far the most enjoyable projector I have owned for gaming. I paid the retail price and I don't regret it one bit. For me the iris is absolutely worth it. I play a lot of very dark games like Silent Hill, Alan Wake, Bioshock, The Last of Us, Fallout, etc. Black levels are critical for these games. Going from a projector with an iris to one without (not counting JVC) would have been unacceptable for me. Another factor for me is that I have a pretty small media room and a brand new projector can really be too bright even in low lamp mode. With the 55ES the iris can be set to auto limited or manual which changes the iris range allowing you to dial down the brightness if needed. That was enough to sway me towards the HW55. Another thing I absolutely love about this projector is the digital panel alignment. I know the HW40 has this feature as well but it is worth mentioning anyway. You see a lot of text playing games. Convergence issues can drive you crazy when you see a lot of text. When I set my HW55ES up I could make out colorful outlines around letters which is typical of 3 chip/panel projectors. Using the panel alignment they vanished and text looks fantastic. It's a set it and forget it feature. I don't know if I'll ever buy another 3LCD without panel alignment again.

This projector has little blur and low input delay. In that regard it is likely to be identical to the HW40. Mostly you are deciding between having the iris or not. You are going to get an amazing picture and care free gaming either way. Good luck!
post #2031 of 2033 Old Today, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Eye View Post
I have been gaming on projectors for about 10 years and I have owned quite a few in that time including Epson and Panasonic models. The HW55ES has been by far the most enjoyable projector I have owned for gaming. I paid the retail price and I don't regret it one bit. For me the iris is absolutely worth it. I play a lot of very dark games like Silent Hill, Alan Wake, Bioshock, The Last of Us, Fallout, etc. Black levels are critical for these games. Going from a projector with an iris to one without (not counting JVC) would have been unacceptable for me. Another factor for me is that I have a pretty small media room and a brand new projector can really be too bright even in low lamp mode. With the 55ES the iris can be set to auto limited or manual which changes the iris range allowing you to dial down the brightness if needed. That was enough to sway me towards the HW55. Another thing I absolutely love about this projector is the digital panel alignment. I know the HW40 has this feature as well but it is worth mentioning anyway. You see a lot of text playing games. Convergence issues can drive you crazy when you see a lot of text. When I set my HW55ES up I could make out colorful outlines around letters which is typical of 3 chip/panel projectors. Using the panel alignment they vanished and text looks fantastic. It's a set it and forget it feature. I don't know if I'll ever buy another 3LCD without panel alignment again.

This projector has little blur and low input delay. In that regard it is likely to be identical to the HW40. Mostly you are deciding between having the iris or not. You are going to get an amazing picture and care free gaming either way. Good luck!
Iris, along with spare lamp voucher and two pair of 3D glasses.

post #2032 of 2033 Old Today, 01:19 PM

Ah! Thanks for the correction. When I purchased mine it did not come with the 3D glasses. I did get 3D glasses with mine but that was part of a deal that Craig worked with me on. That was a good experience.
post #2033 of 2033 Unread Today, 04:36 PM

I take it back. I remember now that the projector did come with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. I needed 4. Essentially I used store credit to get the extra 2 pairs. I don't want anyone to think avscience tricked me into believing I was getting a deal on glasses that actually came with the projector. Craig spent a great deal of time talking projectors with me during multiple phone calls. There was no pressure and no tricks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page