Ugghhh...sitting at work while this is at home is KILLING ME!!! tongue.gif

Are you sure you are feeling well. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #183 of 1263 Old 12-13-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Crap... that's the wrong address it was delivered to... Mike quick get UPS back out and update it to my address... smile.gif
post #184 of 1263 Old 12-13-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Crap... that's the wrong address it was delivered to... Mike quick get UPS back out and update it to my address... smile.gif

Put your house slippers on and stand by the mailbox. I am sure that it will come if you stand there long enough. smile.gif

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #185 of 1263 Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Are you sure you are feeling well. smile.gif

Mike, if I wasn't the only IT guy on site where I work, I would've definitely caught a cold earlier....cough cough...cough cough. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I have my wife guarding it with our lion (pomeranian) and two lynx (house cats) so the UPS guy better come packing, LOL! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Put your house slippers on and stand by the mailbox. I am sure that it will come if you stand there long enough. smile.gif

SOWK, don't fall for that old trick. Mike told me the same thing and I stood by my mailbox for a month before the cops made me go inside. My neighbors kept calling the cops to my house to tell me to remove the scary manikin from my yard only to find that the scary looking manikin was me. Guess I should've put some dang clothes on. eek.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #186 of 1263 Old 12-13-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MikeG said mine was lost by UPS and I need to wait for next shipment. Arrgh...
post #187 of 1263 Old 12-13-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss View Post

Hopefully Sony will be able to do a replacement, but as hard as it has been to get these out of Sony, I am not as optimistic as I would like to be. frown.gif

post #188 of 1263 Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 PM

Liked: 31
Regarding 24p: watching The Mummy tonight in 24p, it looks very nice, smoother than 60p.

Perhaps it my source material or some other settings, or jet lag, but it looks great tonight.

Play station glasses definitely hold sync better, slight color difference. MV3D don't seem to be worth the effort. Sensor will not sync, glasses aren't any lighter or more comfortable, and since I haven't seen hardly any ghosting, not needed. Def not wort 3x the cost of PS3 glasses.

I'll Probably stick with IR.

post #189 of 1263 Old 12-13-2013, 07:17 PM

Liked: 11
I called Sony today and was told they have them available in their warehouse and ready to ship. Is Sony just not releasing them in any large numbers to their dealers. I ordered one a week ago but was told today it would be at least another week minimum, maybe longer. Talked to a local dealer today and said a minimum of three weeks. So, unless you're getting it at a discount what's the advantage of ordering from anyone but Sony unless you're not in any hurry.

I understand if local dealer is doing the install but even then most will do the install either way.
post #190 of 1263 Old 12-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I finally ordered my HW55 today! Hoping it comes in next week.
Thank you to everyone on this forum especially Zombie & Art's review convinced me to pull the trigger.

Was hoping with some help on mounting position.

I have 9'3" ceiling (111"), with a 100" Black Diamond zero edge 0.8 Gain screen. Top of the screen will be about 28" down from the ceiling. Seating position is at 14' 6", which is exactly where the HDMI cable & power is coming out of the ceiling.

Given the projector is 18" deep if I wanted to mount it & cover the power outlet etc, the lens would be 13' away. But it looks like thru the calculator on projectorcentral
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HW50ES-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I need to move everything up as far as possible? Pic of my room below, as you can see, LOTS of ambient light. Or will 13' be ok? Also, given WAF factor, she wants it as close the ceiling as possible. per Art's review I could do up to 8" above the top of the screen? Or should I go at the least same height of the screen?
Walls are dark gray, ceiling light gray and yes, we'll hang dark blackout curtains at least on the windows to the right and direclty behind. The light coming in from the left I can't do anything about.

Also, seems everyone is either using the Chief mount or the peerless? Mike @AVS shall I ping you?

Thanks! I can't wait to get it and give everyone some feedback on it's performance in a high ambient environment on a black diamond screen. I hope someday to do 1.4 gain and 120" if I can sell my screen at somepoint.
post #191 of 1263 Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss View Post

I'd bet it was intercepted by SOWK.tongue.gif
post #192 of 1263 Old 12-14-2013, 05:55 AM

Hi Aaron - Do you mind sharing if you bought it from Sony.com / Authorized dealer?

I saw the 55 ES at $3500 from All Time TV., but they seem like a shady outfit and Sony said that in case of any issues, they won't stand behind an unauthorized dealer.

Here's my quandary - I was going to buy the 55 ES @ 4K From Sony.com, but today saw the 50 ES on the site at $3k. Is the 25% price bump justified to go from 50 to 55?

Thanks!

post #193 of 1263 Old 12-14-2013, 06:01 AM

RJ - Sony Authorized dealer - local. If you look back towards the beginning, I was whining and moaning about the wait - I ordered in September, expecting it by Halloween - got it Dec 5. Working on a few screen shots (yeah, I know can't tell anything from them, etc - but some people like them. Plus, I never felt like I had a PJ worth screenies. Until now. wink.gif)

post #194 of 1263 Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 AM

Screen shots, uncalibrated, adjusted to my personal preferences. Subject material is material I know or that impressed me - maybe later I can do some of the "typical" screenies if there's interest, and if I have the movie.

Room is still under renovation, so excuse the wires and apparent disarray. New flooring gong down hopefully by New Years. But it really is my personal theater and wine/espresso bar - rarely more than just me and my dog in there. Since it all goes away when the lights are off, I work on it when I can. biggrin.gif

Dark Gray ceiling, tan walls in back, dark navy blue on screen wall and leading back.

Camera - Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7. Adjusted the F-stop and shutter until the picture looked like what I was seeing on screen.

Recap install: Mounted about 12' from 108" DIY wilsonart HD laminate screen.

Temporary Install: Location is probably final, cable management not. Second is held in my hands, so out of focus but gives perspective standing towards the back 1/3 of the room.

A few shots from Pacific Rim that caught my eye:

A few from Skyfall:

The Mummy - one of my favorite movies, and I look forward to re-watching - almost like a new movie on this projector.

A couple "through the glasses" shots of Jurassic Park 3D to show the brightness of this Projector.

So - not the best screenshots, but somewhat representative - other than the additional graininess imparted by the camera in low light. But the color and overall impression of the image is accurate.

post #195 of 1263 Old 12-14-2013, 07:29 AM

Aaron - Knowing what you know now., which would you buy? HW 55 @ 4k or HW50 @ 3K?

Appreciate it!

PS - The stills look outstanding. As I'm typing, I have carpet being installed in my Theater!

post #196 of 1263 Old 12-14-2013, 07:38 AM

So, for the people that are ordering what are you being told as far as estimated shipment? I really wanted it before Christmas but have my doubts about it arriving before then. As I stated earlier Sony says they have them in stock and ready to ship but I've already ordered from an authorized retailer and prefer not to cancel. One of my local home theater stores received one Thursday and they have it set up for display so might stop by today and take a look at the picture.

Aaronh, what mount did you use?

post #197 of 1263 Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ1979 View Post

Aaron - Knowing what you know now., which would you buy? HW 55 @ 4k or HW50 @ 3K?

Appreciate it!

PS - The stills look outstanding. As I'm typing, I have carpet being installed in my Theater!

For me - I'd save the $1k. There seems to be no updates to motion flow or RC; it looks like I'm staying with IR for 3D, so for the extra bit of dynamic contrast, I don't think it's worth the difference. In my case, the 55 was about $100 less from my dealer, but I had to wait. At first is was only a few weeks, but it ended up being over 2 months.

C130 - Peerless PRG-UNV. Install was a snap. Adjustment was good With my low ceilings I didn't need a drop tube either.

But as donusa hinted at above - I didn't see the HW50 in 3D, but the 3D on the HW55 is incredible and bright. I finally saw a few ghosts on the early scenes of Jurassic Park, but not enough that it pulled me out of the movie - in fact i was scene jumping instead of watching when I noticed it.

post #198 of 1263 Old 12-14-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Aaronh, how do you like your 108" DIY wilsonart HD laminate screen with the projector. Also is that Wilsonart white or grey laminate.

post #199 of 1263 Old 12-14-2013, 04:05 PM

A couple more thoughts for now - then probably focused on enjoying the glorious picture this thing throws out.

Many people have called the picture quality soft without RC. I have not owned a display in which I could set the sharpness low enough for my tastes. With Blu-ray, 1080/24p, sharpness at minimum, which I think is default, looks good. But with TV and DVD quality material (1080i, 480i upscaled to 1080p), I've actually bumped the sharpness up to about 20. I think the "soft" PQ is because the sharpness function actually has a usable range. At minimum, there's a slight ringing on objects, and all sorts of weird artifacts, especially around text (basketball court, scores, credits). Just my observation.

Also - DVD's have looked great. Even titles like Hudson Hawk and Brewster's Millions that didn't get great transfers look good. The only DVD file I've been disappointed with is Days of Thunder. DVD with great transfers like Gladiator, LOTR, The Pink Panther (the original), La Dolce Vita, etc look great from 1.5 screen width. Maybe I'll try to capture some shots from them tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to re-watching many movies.

post #200 of 1263 Old 12-15-2013, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

Regarding 24p: watching The Mummy tonight in 24p, it looks very nice, smoother than 60p.

Perhaps it my source material or some other settings, or jet lag, but it looks great tonight.

Play station glasses definitely hold sync better, slight color difference. MV3D don't seem to be worth the effort. Sensor will not sync, glasses aren't any lighter or more comfortable, and since I haven't seen hardly any ghosting, not needed. Def not wort 3x the cost of PS3 glasses.

Hello Aaronh,

Could you test for me the movie happyfeet 3d..(and tell me about the ghosting)

I want to know if there is any difference in the sony units.

By the way i still love the amazing picture it throws on the screen...smile.gif
post #201 of 1263 Old 12-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

Hello Aaronh,

Could you test for me the movie happyfeet 3d..(and tell me about the ghosting)

I want to know if there is any difference in the sony units.

By the way i still love the amazing picture it throws on the screen...smile.gif

I dont think any other than DLP can show Happy Feet 2 without ghosting.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #202 of 1263 Old 12-15-2013, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

Are saying you watched 3D without flicker on glasses?
post #203 of 1263 Old 12-15-2013, 07:08 AM

I think I'm largely immune to flicker. I've only seen it on a few very bright scenes. Nothing like the YouTube examples I had seen when trying to understand what flicker was. I was expecting to be able to "live with" the 3D, but I've only seen minor nitpicking nothing major. In fact, the brightest settings are too bright for my tastes.

post #204 of 1263 Old 12-15-2013, 08:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ1979 View Post

Hi Aaron - Do you mind sharing if you bought it from Sony.com / Authorized dealer?

I saw the 55 ES at $3500 from All Time TV., but they seem like a shady outfit and Sony said that in case of any issues, they won't stand behind an unauthorized dealer.

Here's my quandary - I was going to buy the 55 ES @ 4K From Sony.com, but today saw the 50 ES on the site at $3k. Is the 25% price bump justified to go from 50 to 55?

Thanks!

Who wont stand behind the purchase from an unauthorized dealer, Sony? Why would it matter where you bought it from especially if its brand new? It carries a factory warranty doesnt it?
post #205 of 1263 Old 12-15-2013, 08:16 PM

I hear you., and I asked the same question off a Sony Rep, and the guy told me that if I bought the product from an Unauthorized Dealer, then I stand the chance of having counterfeit products (don't know if that is BS) and for $300-400 more I am not willing to take that chance. I'd rather buy it from a reputable dealer like AVScience or from Sony direct. 

post #206 of 1263 Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post

I dont think any other than DLP can show Happy Feet 2 without ghosting.

Hello there,

yes i now that..

But this movie is unwatchable on the sony hw55es..frown.gif

Or there much be some difference in the units that sony already had sold..

So i hope that more people can test this movie....

I already contacted sony.....
post #207 of 1263 Old 12-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

I finally ordered my HW55 today! Hoping it comes in next week.
Thank you to everyone on this forum especially Zombie & Art's review convinced me to pull the trigger.

Was hoping with some help on mounting position.

I have 9'3" ceiling (111"), with a 100" Black Diamond zero edge 0.8 Gain screen. Top of the screen will be about 28" down from the ceiling. Seating position is at 14' 6", which is exactly where the HDMI cable & power is coming out of the ceiling.

Given the projector is 18" deep if I wanted to mount it & cover the power outlet etc, the lens would be 13' away. But it looks like thru the calculator on projectorcentral
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HW50ES-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I need to move everything up as far as possible? Pic of my room below, as you can see, LOTS of ambient light. Or will 13' be ok? Also, given WAF factor, she wants it as close the ceiling as possible. per Art's review I could do up to 8" above the top of the screen? Or should I go at the least same height of the screen?
Walls are dark gray, ceiling light gray and yes, we'll hang dark blackout curtains at least on the windows to the right and direclty behind. The light coming in from the left I can't do anything about.

Also, seems everyone is either using the Chief mount or the peerless? Mike @AVS shall I ping you?

Thanks! I can't wait to get it and give everyone some feedback on it's performance in a high ambient environment on a black diamond screen. I hope someday to do 1.4 gain and 120" if I can sell my screen at somepoint.

Anyone willing to help on this? thanks!! smile.gif
post #208 of 1263 Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 15
I received my projector Friday and the mount on Saturday so I spent the weekend making a "temp" setup. This is my 1st projector and I love it. I built a DIY screen with matte white over matte silver spandex. Planning on buying some in-wall speakers to put behind the screen, so just using this HTIB I had until then. Heres a couple pictures, excuse the mess.

110" AT Screen

Projector Mounted. Chief accidentally sent the wrong trim plates so waiting on those.

Don't know how to take proper pictures, but this is in a lightish room with a flash.

Turned off the flash to try and get a better picture
post #209 of 1263 Old 12-16-2013, 11:34 AM

Liked: 15
I also have a darbee Darblet sitting here. Should I use that?
post #210 of 1263 Old 12-16-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman8 View Post

I also have a darbee Darblet sitting here. Should I use that?

try it please..

I like to know how it looks on the sony hw55es..rolleyes.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page