Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

Old 09-17-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
There is no dynamic iris in the light path, so you get more lumens.
That makes sense - lower output but better CR on the 55 and 5030.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3280 Post(s)
Liked: 1963
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
That makes sense - lower output but better CR on the 55 and 5030.
Correct.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada & more.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
The woven AT screens all pretty much have a gain of 1.0 and less. At 1.0 gain and 120", you should be okay with 3D, though after the lamp gets around 1,000 hours on it, you might start to consider the image dim. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.
I will for sure as soon as my post count hits a legitimate 15 lol!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:20 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ueleader View Post
Well I just became the newest member of the HW55ES Owners Club I'm both excited and nauseous...I don't spend that kind of money often and went $1K over my budget, but the deal was too good to pass up on.
With the HW55 on sale, it's hard to pass up. You'll love it !

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
Old 09-17-2015, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I now get to decide what movie to watch first. As for a screen I've decided on the Elunevision Ref Studio Fixed Frame Audioweave 2.35 130" diag...Got a quote from Dave. But I have to get Canadian calling added to my cell phone plan before I can call and order...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
With the HW55 on sale, it's hard to pass up. You'll love it !
Old 09-18-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
He was talking about the 40, not the 55. Also there are numerous reviews that show the 40 and 55 are both brighter, when (5030, 40 and 55) calibrated to rec709, at any matched throw distance. Now you can put the 5030 in living room mode and get a good image and it will be brighter than the 55, but it still will not be as bright as the 40 calibrated to rec709.
Yea, I had the 5030 in living room mode. The 55es I run in Cinema 1. The 5030 wasn't quite as "calibrated out of the box" but the 55Es is noticeably brighter to me in Cinema 1 than Epsons living Room mode. I have to use the brighter modes for the large screen. So to me Epsons bright "living room mode" still wasn't quite a match for the Sony.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
Yea, I had the 5030 in living room mode. The 55es I run in Cinema 1. The 5030 wasn't quite as "calibrated out of the box" but the 55Es is noticeably brighter to me in Cinema 1 than Epsons living Room mode. I have to use the brighter modes for the large screen. So to me Epsons bright "living room mode" still wasn't quite a match for the Sony.
Are we talking huge screen? also if the sony is brighter why is the epson better at 3d? does lcos have some sort of slower decay rate or something causing ghosting? I think ive ruled out the 40 - people seem to love it but all through my years contrast ratio was king and people seem ok to sacrifice for the 40s brighter image.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Are we talking huge screen? also if the sony is brighter why is the epson better at 3d? does lcos have some sort of slower decay rate or something causing ghosting? I think ive ruled out the 40 - people seem to love it but all through my years contrast ratio was king and people seem ok to sacrifice for the 40s brighter image.
The Epson is brighter in dynamic mode. Dynamic mode is not good for much, except for 3D, where max brightness is king. Also the Epson has slightly less ghosting in 3D. The Sony 55 is the most well rounded. It does a good job with 2D, 3D, sports and gaming. The Epson's weakness is gaming, noise and calibrated lumens. The 40's weakness is contrast. Though in mixed scenes, the difference between a 40, 55 and 5030 contrast wise is small.

mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada & more.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ueleader View Post
I now get to decide what movie to watch first. As for a screen I've decided on the Elunevision Ref Studio Fixed Frame Audioweave 2.35 130" diag...Got a quote from Dave. But I have to get Canadian calling added to my cell phone plan before I can call and order...LOL
Just pick your favorite film from the BLU tier in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...25-2015-a.html

Looky here!
Old 09-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Just pick your favorite film from the BLU tier in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...25-2015-a.html

There are some good films on that Blu tier list. Tell No One and Hugo are two of my favorites, along with Sin City, I Robot, Begin Again, Interstellar, Skyfall and Lucy !

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

Old 09-18-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
The screen is 16:9 165"... I guess it's huge.
Don't know about 3d but I know they use different methods. I tried 3d on the Epson and it was cool but just not my thing. And the difference isn't huge brightness wise. I will say I'm able to use low mode where the Espon really needed high mode or sky scenes just seemed too dim... but again it's just a tad of difference.

As the bulb ages I'm sure the Sony will need High mode and this is where it gets to my huge dislike of the Epson and the reason I boxed it up and got rid of it faster than an STD. The damn fan on the Epson is as loud as the stock fans in the pro amps some of us use. The first things we do with those amps is swap the fans. Some may be OK with it but if you need high mode and value a low noise floor you will not like the 5030. A buddy who runs his in low switched to high just to confirm and he was like ...WOW...freaking loud!

Here's a shot from a non HD dvd. It has a great picture even with standard def, Netflix etc.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
The screen is 16:9 165"... I guess it's huge.
Don't know about 3d but I know they use different methods. I tried 3d on the Epson and it was cool but just not my thing. And the difference isn't huge brightness wise. I will say I'm able to use low mode where the Espon really needed high mode or sky scenes just seemed too dim... but again it's just a tad of difference.

As the bulb ages I'm sure the Sony will need High mode and this is where it gets to my huge dislike of the Epson and the reason I boxed it up and got rid of it faster than an STD. The damn fan on the Epson is as loud as the stock fans in the pro amps some of us use. The first things we do with those amps is swap the fans. Some may be OK with it but if you need high mode and value a low noise floor you will not like the 5030. A buddy who runs his in low switched to high just to confirm and he was like ...WOW...freaking loud!

Here's a shot from a non HD dvd. It has a great picture even with standard def, Netflix etc.

I'd consider that PDB ( pretty darn big ) myself.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony VPL-HW55ES Projector - Bulb flashes constantly

Sony VPL-HW55ES Projector - strange bulb flashing

When I turn on my projector and it warms up and the status light turns solid green, the projection bulb flashes on and off in about a 3 second interval. Can't find anything in the manual to address this.

Can anyone tell me:
(a) what does this mean or what's going on?
(b) how to get constant projection back?

Unit hasn't been used much; very few hours on the bulb. Everything was fine last weekend. My wife is not happy she can watch anything on the big screen ...

Last edited by jfh3; 09-19-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Sony VPL-HW55ES Projector - strange bulb flashing

When I turn on my projector and it warms up and the status light turns solid green, the projection bulb flashes on and off in about a 3 second interval. Can't find anything in the manual to address this.

Can anyone tell me:
(a) what does this mean or what's going on?
(b) how to get constant projection back?

Unit hasn't been used much; very few hours on the bulb. Everything was fine last weekend. My wife is not happy she can watch anything on the big screen ...
Try re-seating the lamp and try unplugging the projector for an hour.

mike@avscience.com
Old 09-19-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I'll try unplug for an hour - not sure I can get to the bulb to reseat it.

Any idea why this would just be happening? The projector wasn't jarred or knocked, so I don't see how the bulb could have come loose.

Last edited by jfh3; 09-20-2015 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Ok. Reseated the lamp and killed power overnight.

No change.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-20-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Ok. Reseated the lamp and killed power overnight.

No change.

Any other ideas?
Does it still flash off and on, with no sources connected to it?
What about when you have a source connected directly to the projector?
If it does with the above situations, then you have no choice, but to send it in for repair.

mike@avscience.com
Old 09-20-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Does it still flash off and on, with no sources connected to it?

What about when you have a source connected directly to the projector?
Have not tried disconnecting the HDMI 1 cable (only thing connected), but will try that. Ditto to direct connect of a source.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you all for keeping this thread active with good information. I have joined your club being a proud owner of 55ES.
Watched Prometheus BD as my first movie and loved it.
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by sagirisk; 09-21-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 09-21-2015, 04:10 PM

In case anyone runs into the same problem, I found the problem to the lamp flashing problem.

The HDMI input into the projector is fed by HDMI output 1 of my Yamaha RX-A3030 receiver. I had run another HDMI cable from the receiver output 2 to a monitor and the projector flashing stops when that output is disconnected, so I'm guessing the flashing is trying to indicate some sort of HDMI synch problem (I think the connected monitor only does 720p so maybe output 1 is being downgraded, but I haven't investigated fully yet).

Thanks Mike for your suggestions - it was because of them I realized the problem may not be with the projector itself.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just pulled the trigger. Ordered from my installer. ( The man has to eat) I am a little concerned about it being too bright. My room is a mixed media room used mostly for sports. Can get full light control but don't want it all the time or most of the time. Had a Ruby (800 lumens) paired with a SI virage screen. (DnP made this screen for them before the Black Diamond). Well made tough screen not at all fragile. Good ambient light rejection from the sides and above. Gain is 2 so in total darkness would hot-spot and shimmer to my eyes. Nobody else would notice. I'm worried this may create 2 much eyestrain in the dark. Screen was a fortune and am hoping to not need to replace. Maybe I need to run in low mode. Anybody have any real world experience or advice.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
In case anyone runs into the same problem, I found the problem to the lamp flashing problem.

The HDMI input into the projector is fed by HDMI output 1 of my Yamaha RX-A3030 receiver. I had run another HDMI cable from the receiver output 2 to a monitor and the projector flashing stops when that output is disconnected, so I'm guessing the flashing is trying to indicate some sort of HDMI synch problem (I think the connected monitor only does 720p so maybe output 1 is being downgraded, but I haven't investigated fully yet).

Thanks Mike for your suggestions - it was because of them I realized the problem may not be with the projector itself.
You are welcome.
jfh3 likes this.

mike@avscience.com
Old 09-21-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by roentgen1895 View Post
Just pulled the trigger. Ordered from my installer. ( The man has to eat) I am a little concerned about it being too bright. My room is a mixed media room used mostly for sports. Can get full light control but don't want it all the time or most of the time. Had a Ruby (800 lumens) paired with a SI virage screen. (DnP made this screen for them before the Black Diamond). Well made tough screen not at all fragile. Good ambient light rejection from the sides and above. Gain is 2 so in total darkness would hot-spot and shimmer to my eyes. Nobody else would notice. I'm worried this may create 2 much eyestrain in the dark. Screen was a fortune and am hoping to not need to replace. Maybe I need to run in low mode. Anybody have any real world experience or advice.
Low lamp and long throw will give you around 600 lumens. I think you will be okay.

mike@avscience.com
Old 09-21-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Low lamp and long throw will give you around 600 lumens. I think you will be okay.
Thanks. Hard to believe I paid more for that screen than this new projector nearly 10 years ago. At the time options were limited but it has served me well.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 2
help picking a screen

I'm searching for a screen. I originally wanted a SI black diamond screen but many of you told me that since I don't have any windows or any direct lighting near the screen a white screen would allow a better picture quality. I have a 15' wall to work with and I was thinking of buying 142 Inch Diagonal Criterion Series Projection Screen - 1.78 to 1. I could mount from 14' to 17'. Would this screen be too large? Should I go with carada's 134" or 120" screen? I will mostly watch without any lights but if I often watch sports with the lights on when other people are over. Will the larger screen be too dim with some ambient light? Thanks for anyone's input, this is my first projector.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by podboy View Post
I'm searching for a screen. I originally wanted a SI black diamond screen but many of you told me that since I don't have any windows or any direct lighting near the screen a white screen would allow a better picture quality. I have a 15' wall to work with and I was thinking of buying 142 Inch Diagonal Criterion Series Projection Screen - 1.78 to 1. I could mount from 14' to 17'. Would this screen be too large? Should I go with carada's 134" or 120" screen? I will mostly watch without any lights but if I often watch sports with the lights on when other people are over. Will the larger screen be too dim with some ambient light? Thanks for anyone's input, this is my first projector.
If you go with the 142" and even if you go with the 134", I would get the Brilliant White fabric. It has an actual gain around 1.1. Also I definitely would go with the heavier duty Criterion frame of the Precision frame, with these larger screen sizes.

mike@avscience.com
Old 09-22-2015, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
If you go with the 142" and even if you go with the 134", I would get the Brilliant White fabric. It has an actual gain around 1.1. Also I definitely would go with the heavier duty Criterion frame of the Precision frame, with these larger screen sizes.
+1 on everything that Mike said.

I have the 134" screen with the Criterion frame and BW fabric.

You can see my full write-up here, but the short version is that at a viewing distance measured at 16' from eyeballs to screen, I'm really enjoying my 134" screen. I couldn't go any bigger because of vertical limitations posed by the architecture of the room. As it stands now, I can still see the bottom of the screen over the tips of my toes when I'm in full recline mode ... but just barely. :-)

I watch with the occasional amount of ambient light (from overhead recessed LED's only, no sunlight) and haven't had any issues with brightness or the picture getting washed out. 3d also looks pretty great.

Last edited by ChadA; 09-22-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OK I'm about to purchase the 55es (), but need to figure out the screen size and projector mount to get!

1) For the projector mount I need something low profile and would appreciate fine adjustments. My buddy suggested the OmniMount PJT40 d/t the fine adjustments, but I think it will be too tall for my small basement room. The living room is above this basement room so ideally I'd like something that won't change angle over time from vibrations.

2) For the screen, I'm going with a SilverTicket for now, but can't decide between 100" or 110". The picture below has where the boards are inside the wall, my speakers in orange, the 110" in blue, and the 100" in red/purple. Which size do you think is best for this space?

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamull View Post
OK I'm about to purchase the 55es (), but need to figure out the screen size and projector mount to get!

1) For the projector mount I need something low profile and would appreciate fine adjustments. My buddy suggested the OmniMount PJT40 d/t the fine adjustments, but I think it will be too tall for my small basement room. The living room is above this basement room so ideally I'd like something that won't change angle over time from vibrations.

2) For the screen, I'm going with a SilverTicket for now, but can't decide between 100" or 110". The picture below has where the boards are inside the wall, my speakers in orange, the 110" in blue, and the 100" in red/purple. Which size do you think is best for this space?

Thanks for your input!
I have a 126.5" screen at about 15-16' throw (further than I wanted but I didn't want to him my head on it) and the projector lens just below the top of the screen with about the same ceiling height but the HVAC duct running down the left side of the room. Usually the accent lights aren't as bright as they are in the pic.

Falcon Pro HD acousticly transparent screen with three Definitive Tech 5.5 LCR speakers behind it. I have a Chief RPA 020 mount which came as a package with the projector. The mount is fine, not the largest amount of adjustments but I believe I have the image as well as can possible be expected (slight bulge in top left corner with barely visible distortion on the left edge and a slight upward bow in the center top and center bottom, overscanning slightly handles this). I bought all the above from Mike.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:02 AM

Liked: 2
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 55.

I compared the 40 vs. 55 vs. 65. I found a spec for the 65 on some UK site where they appear to be taking pre-orders. The 55 with the glasses and lamp and better picture seems to be a better proposition than the 40 and not really a lot more $ with the glasses/lamp cost offset. The 65 is a little brighter, has RF 3D, and maybe a couple of other little things, but definitely not 4K.

So my thinking is that the 55 is the sweet spot and can hold me out until 4K becomes more affordable. If I have to spend $4K to $5K on the 65 (that's a guess), it will be more painful to replace that in the next 3-5 years than the $3K 55. Would still really love to talk myself into just buying the 40 and saving more $ (I can get one at $2K), but I'm sold on the 55 being better enough to pay $3K. Can anyone find any flaws in this plan?

Next...this Silver Ticket appears to be one of the best bang for your buck screens. With the 55 projector, for a dark room with dark carpet & walls, is 120" and 1.1 gain about right? Would more or less gain, or less screen size, be better for a high quality 2D & 3D picture? I get a sense that taking it up to 1.3 gain might be better for 3D, and shouldn't really hurt my 2D viewing. I really want to make 120" work since my 17' x 16' room will fit it. Any opinions on this?

STR-169120 Silver Ticket 120" Diagonal 16:9 HDTV (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen White Material (Amazon.com)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector