Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 121Likes

post #2341 of 2693 Old 11-28-2015, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I purchased a Sony HW55ES this last month from local dealer.

Really liking it. Hung it today with a Chief RPA mount (the big one...) and that sucker is beefy.

Projecting only on blackout cloth right now (evaluating materials/screens still) but it looks great to me.

Watched Aladdin today on it - I didn't expect that to be inaugural movie, but the people with me wanted to see it when they saw it, so there you go!

I did panel alignment, then later noticed it was off again. And zone based alignment is not a fast process! Should I wait a certain about of time after turning it on before doing panel alignment?

No other real questions right now. Haven't noticed it accentuating grain like some say - but haven't watched a grainy movie yet. Did watch part of an Andy Griffith's episode in HD from Netflix, and the film was dirty and that was noticeable, but only because the projector is good and the film was truly dirty!

I have an Oppo BDP-103D with Darbee set to 30% in HiDef, and RC is turned off. MotionFlow is also turned off. RCP (whatever that is - haven't looked in manual yet) is also off.

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2693 Old 11-28-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortman View Post
Ryan,
The coupon is about 3"x5" and is green on one side and white on the other. I almost missed mine, but found it in the bottom of the box. It was not in the plastic bag with the user manual and other accessories. Double check the bottom of your box and possibly underneath the cardboard flaps. Hope this helps.
I didn't get a voucher in my unit. Wondering if they stopped putting them in at some point. I bought mine just a couple weeks ago - perhaps when they dropped the price, they stopped putting the vouchers in for the last lot or two they assembled?

I assume without the voucher I'm out of luck. I can live with that having paid the closeout price (plus some more off).

BTW - I checked under the flaps

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
post #2343 of 2693 Old 11-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For those who have redeemed the coupon for the free replacement lsmp, how long has it taken to get your new lamp? I placed my order and got a confirmation email back on November 9. Thanks!
post #2344 of 2693 Old 11-29-2015, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is the windows Media center home screen. Any type of glow on the screen from light to dark transitions will do this. The darker the image the more obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1448831601194.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1087474   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1448831628864.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1087490  
post #2345 of 2693 Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
I didn't get a voucher in my unit. Wondering if they stopped putting them in at some point. I bought mine just a couple weeks ago - perhaps when they dropped the price, they stopped putting the vouchers in for the last lot or two they assembled?

I assume without the voucher I'm out of luck. I can live with that having paid the closeout price (plus some more off).

BTW - I checked under the flaps
Since the link on the coupon no longer works, you can try posting in one of these two threads that are monitored by Sony support and see if they can help you. I bought my 55ES about 7-8 weeks ago from Best Buy / Magnolia right after the price dropped to $2995 and eventually found the coupon in the bottom of the box. I don't have the link, but I am pretty sure that the free lamp offer was valid until 12/31/2015 and the coupon is good until 12/31/2017.

You can try posting to one of these two threads to get someone at Sony to help you. I posted in teh second thread and got a PM that essentially asked for the info in the first thread. From what I can tell, the coupon code is tied to the projector serial number somehow. Maybe they will honor it if you show proof of purchase from an authorized Sony dealer. It's worth a shot.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Theater-Products/Free-projector-replacement-bulb-promised/td-p/528902
or
http://community.sony.com/t5/Custome...ht/true#M13303
danielrg likes this.
post #2346 of 2693 Old 11-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I purchased a Sony HW55ES this last month from local dealer.

Really liking it. Hung it today with a Chief RPA mount (the big one...) and that sucker is beefy.

Projecting only on blackout cloth right now (evaluating materials/screens still) but it looks great to me.

Watched Aladdin today on it - I didn't expect that to be inaugural movie, but the people with me wanted to see it when they saw it, so there you go!

I did panel alignment, then later noticed it was off again. And zone based alignment is not a fast process! Should I wait a certain about of time after turning it on before doing panel alignment?

No other real questions right now. Haven't noticed it accentuating grain like some say - but haven't watched a grainy movie yet. Did watch part of an Andy Griffith's episode in HD from Netflix, and the film was dirty and that was noticeable, but only because the projector is good and the film was truly dirty!

I have an Oppo BDP-103D with Darbee set to 30% in HiDef, and RC is turned off. MotionFlow is also turned off. RCP (whatever that is - haven't looked in manual yet) is also off.
My HW-50ES seems to take almost an hour for the focus and alignment to fully settle in. While yours may be different, I would think that waiting an hour before aligning would be a safe bet.
danielrg likes this.

Last edited by dbturbo2; 11-30-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: mistake
post #2347 of 2693 Old 11-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

A little off topic: anybody else seen choppy navigation on the "Inside Out" Blue Ray or am I just lucky?

Screen goes through flashes, black screen and other colorful surprises while the disk is loading or between selections from the main menu.

Since I got my AV7702 and new projector (Sony HW55ES) a couple of months ago, every movie has loaded and played perfectly...just wondering if there's something hinky with this specific movie. No biggie, just wondering.

Signal path: Oppo Blue Ray (93) -> Marantz AV7702 -> Darbee Darblet -> Sony HW55ES projector.
post #2348 of 2693 Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
A little off topic: anybody else seen choppy navigation on the "Inside Out" Blue Ray or am I just lucky?

Screen goes through flashes, black screen and other colorful surprises while the disk is loading or between selections from the main menu.

Since I got my AV7702 and new projector (Sony HW55ES) a couple of months ago, every movie has loaded and played perfectly...just wondering if there's something hinky with this specific movie. No biggie, just wondering.

Signal path: Oppo Blue Ray (93) -> Marantz AV7702 -> Darbee Darblet -> Sony HW55ES projector.
I would think that the most likely culprit is the BluRay Player. I assume you have the latest firmware? I know the Oppos, if connected to the network, like to update automatically...

I don't have the BluRay - though I am wanting to get it. Fun movie.

post #2349 of 2693 Old 12-02-2015, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:

Quote:
I would think that the most likely culprit is the BluRay Player. I assume you have the latest firmware? I know the Oppos, if connected to the network, like to update automatically...

I don't have the BluRay - though I am wanting to get it. Fun movie.

Actually it's not the BlueRay player.

It is a timing/sync issue with the Darby which is in-between the RCVR and Projector.

On occasion I will experience completely random image drop. This drop will last about 2 seconds. Then, 30 seconds latter I will experience a second ~ 2 second drop. Then all is good. This will happen with any source since they all go to the RCVR 1st, then through the Darby on to the projector. It is completely random as to when it might happen during the movie. Could be during the previews, could be half way through....just random.

Through troubleshooting I have discovered that if you turn the projector on first and wait until you see the blue background, THEN turn on everything else, the above scenario will not happen. If I turn anything else on FISRT, before turning on the projector, this odd phenomena will happen maybe 60% of the time. If I take the Darby completely out, this issue does not happen at all. It is simply a timing/sync thing and completely random, but can be 99.9% mitigated my simply turning the projector on FIRST and wait about 15-20 seconds before turning the rest of the system on.

FYI.

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
post #2350 of 2693 Old 12-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
Through troubleshooting I have discovered that if you turn the projector on first and wait until you see the blue background, THEN turn on everything else, the above scenario will not happen. If I turn anything else on FISRT, before turning on the projector, this odd phenomena will happen maybe 60% of the time. If I take the Darby completely out, this issue does not happen at all. It is simply a timing/sync thing and completely random, but can be 99.9% mitigated my simply turning the projector on FIRST and wait about 15-20 seconds before turning the rest of the system on.
Awesome - thank you! I will try this. Right now, I have my Harmony remote turning everything on pretty much all at once. I'll experiment with this approach and if it works, will permanently change the way things get turned on. Happily, this random issue has only really happened on this one title so far (new AVR, Darbee and PJ in October...so still breaking it all in). Also, I've not seen a video dropout during a film....only in menu transitions - but they're exactly as you described from your experience.

I will experiment tonight and report back!
Thanks neighbor! (I'm also in Chicagoland)

P.S. GREAT looking theater, sir!

Last edited by PaulG; 12-02-2015 at 11:13 AM.
post #2351 of 2693 Old 12-02-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anybody know how to redeem the free lamp offer since the store closed?

Sony HW55ES PJ w/Panamorph Anamorphic Phoenix Lens and Darbee Darblet
EluneVision Ref Studio AudioWeave 4K Fixed 130" diag screen
Yamaha RX-V673 AVR
Sony BDP-S6200 BD Player and ROKU 4
Behringer NU3000 DSP Amp and Behringer Ultragain MIC2200 Pro driving 2 Stereo Integrity HT18 subs in custom 11cuft boxes
post #2352 of 2693 Old 12-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ueleader View Post
Check out posts 2312 and 2345.
post #2353 of 2693 Old 12-02-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb proparts@am.sony.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Eye View Post
Send an e-mail to proparts@am.sony.com letting them know you would like to redeem your voucher and provide the following info:

Name
Address
E-Mail Address
Phone Number
Contact Name
Coupon Number (This is the number from the voucher)
Dealer Purchased From
Model
Serial Number

Attach a picture or scan of the voucher.

They will create a purchase order. I received my lamp about a week later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roentgen1895 View Post
Has anyone figured out how to use voucher?

See above!

I went through this process several months ago. Calling the Sony numbers available on their websites was futile.

Here is the email exchange I had with Tony From Sony ES Technical support :

__________________________________________________ __________________________
To: rms8
Subject: E61900977/VPLHW55ES /Coupon Redemption

Rob,
Please provide the requested information below and attached a copy of the your coupon and send it to proparts@am.sony.com.

Name:

Street/House number:

Postal Code/City:

State/Country:

E-Mail:

Phone Number:

Contact Name:

Coupon Number:

Dealer purchased from:

Model/Serial Number:

Thanks
Tony
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Follow the above email and you will get your bulb. He told be I would have to wait until mid December, but I actually got my bulb with in 2 weeks.

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
post #2354 of 2693 Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Awesome - thank you! I will try this. Right now, I have my Harmony remote turning everything on pretty much all at once. I'll experiment with this approach and if it works, will permanently change the way things get turned on. Happily, this random issue has only really happened on this one title so far (new AVR, Darbee and PJ in October...so still breaking it all in). Also, I've not seen a video dropout during a film....only in menu transitions - but they're exactly as you described from your experience.

I should have mentioned that I also experienced this odd drop a few times during menus too. Hope it works for ya!

Thanks for the props!!!

{I'm in Campton Hills (bordering St. Charles) }

post #2355 of 2693 Old 12-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
Follow the above email and you will get your bulb. He told be I would have to wait until mid December, but I actually got my bulb with in 2 weeks.
I got an email back from Sony today saying the bulb is now back ordered until an ETA of 1/15/2016.
FWIW.
No biggie - I can wait....better to have my expectations managed than wonder and fester.
post #2356 of 2693 Old 12-02-2015, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ueleader View Post
Which anamorphic lens did you purchase?

(2) GoldenEar Triton 1s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
post #2357 of 2693 Old 12-03-2015, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Motion blu

While gaming on my 55es, I get bad motion blur. I have motion flow on high, tried changes all setting to no avail. Any ideas.
post #2358 of 2693 Old 12-03-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortman View Post
Since the link on the coupon no longer works, you can try posting in one of these two threads that are monitored by Sony support and see if they can help you. I bought my 55ES about 7-8 weeks ago from Best Buy / Magnolia right after the price dropped to $2995 and eventually found the coupon in the bottom of the box. I don't have the link, but I am pretty sure that the free lamp offer was valid until 12/31/2015 and the coupon is good until 12/31/2017.

You can try posting to one of these two threads to get someone at Sony to help you. I posted in teh second thread and got a PM that essentially asked for the info in the first thread. From what I can tell, the coupon code is tied to the projector serial number somehow. Maybe they will honor it if you show proof of purchase from an authorized Sony dealer. It's worth a shot.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Theater-Products/Free-projector-replacement-bulb-promised/td-p/528902
or
http://community.sony.com/t5/Custome...ht/true#M13303
Many thanks for the suggestion. Someone on the first forum picked up my problem and PM'd me to get him info on my unit and figure out why I didn't get the voucher. I sent him the info and am waiting to hear back. But it does appear someone is trying to help me. I'll update more later, but thanks for the advice!

post #2359 of 2693 Old 12-04-2015, 07:42 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Many thanks for the suggestion. Someone on the first forum picked up my problem and PM'd me to get him info on my unit and figure out why I didn't get the voucher. I sent him the info and am waiting to hear back. But it does appear someone is trying to help me. I'll update more later, but thanks for the advice!
Glad to help - I hope they get it resolved for you.
Btw, I clicked on the link to your theater build - very impressive! You have put a lot of thought and effort into it and it looks fantastic. I'm interested in what screen you ultimately choose. I put a quick post in your thread on my experience with the Silver Ticket Gray 120" screen with my 55ES projector.
danielrg likes this.
post #2360 of 2693 Old 12-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Playing with power sequence made no difference in my case. I was reminded over in the Darbee Darblet thread that they recommend an HDMI longer than 6 feet. I'm currently running 4' between the Marantz 7702 and the Darblet. I'll try a longer cable and will report back.

Last edited by PaulG; 12-05-2015 at 08:10 PM.
post #2361 of 2693 Old 12-05-2015, 10:38 PM

I'm learning some stuff about the video inputs on the HW55ES.

But I had some questions.

Apparently, HD signals don't work on the VGA input of the projector. There are "presets" which are all computer resolutions. My computer can output 1080p on the VGA connector, but for some reason the Sony HW55ES won't display it properly. When I look in the manual, 1920x1080p60 is not in the "preset list" for the VGA input.

Same for component video input. I use a VGA to Component conversion cable, but I can't send 1080p60 on the component cable either, that isn't one of the "presets".

Can I change what "presets" are allowed on a given input on the Sony HW55ES?

My dad's Epson 8350 ($1200) can display 1080p60 from my VGA connector! Why can't the Sony?

Last edited by danielrg; 12-05-2015 at 10:49 PM.
post #2362 of 2693 Old 12-05-2015, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I'm learning some stuff about the video inputs on the HW55ES.

But I had some questions.

Apparently, HD signals don't work on the VGA input of the projector. There are "presets" which are all computer resolutions. My computer can output 1080p on the VGA connector, but for some reason the Sony HW55ES won't display it properly. When I look in the manual, 1920x1080p60 is not in the "preset list" for the VGA input.

Same for component video input. I use a VGA to Component conversion cable, but I can't send 1080p60 on the component cable either, that isn't one of the "presets".

Can I change what "presets" are allowed on a given input on the Sony HW55ES?

My dad's Epson 8350 ($1200) can display 1080p60 from my VGA connector! Why can't the Sony?
I think that connecting a PC to a PJ through VGA is a bad idea. Although VGA can theoretically output HD resolutions there can be significant picture degradation as it's max. resolution is specified at only 800x600p.
post #2363 of 2693 Old 12-06-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi123 View Post
I think that connecting a PC to a PJ through VGA is a bad idea. Although VGA can theoretically output HD resolutions there can be significant picture degradation as it's max. resolution is specified at only 800x600p.
With this old PC, it is my only option. VGA can reach quite high resolutions if the card driving it is advanced, although its still analog and subject to degradation as you said. This was more a question of why it works on one projector and not another. I agree - I'd rather use HDMI or DVI but this PC doesn't have it.

As a side note, on the HW65ES - there isn't even a VGA connector...

post #2364 of 2693 Old 12-07-2015, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

i currently have an OPTOMA HD25LV and I wonder - would upgrading to the sony 55ES make a big difference as far as my viewing experience goes?

anyone of you guys had made this kind of transition to the Sony and can recommend?

thanks!

Yaniv
post #2365 of 2693 Old 12-07-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanivkin View Post
Hi Guys,

i currently have an OPTOMA HD25LV and I wonder - would upgrading to the sony 55ES make a big difference as far as my viewing experience goes?

anyone of you guys had made this kind of transition to the Sony and can recommend?
Yaniv,

We'd need more information to answer that question well. The Optoma is a DLP and the Sony is an 3LCD type of projector. If you are subject to noticing "rainbow effect" then the Sony will be an improvement. I and my wife are highly susceptible to it, so we didn't look at DLPs for our theater.

The HW55ES is very much a home theater projector, designed for light controlled rooms. While it can handle some ambient light, it isn't its strong suit. The Optoma is designed for high light output, and is more of a living room or multi-purpose room projector. It can go bright, but I suspect that color accuracy may not be as good as the Sony. Contrast levels will be better on the Sony most likely, but again that would only matter in a dedicated room.

So tell us more about how you'll use it... what type of room? What size screen? What type of content (movies, sports, TV), what type of seating? And also important, what will the ambient light levels be in the room? So those are questions that come to my mind.

post #2366 of 2693 Old 12-07-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
With this old PC, it is my only option. VGA can reach quite high resolutions if the card driving it is advanced, although its still analog and subject to degradation as you said. This was more a question of why it works on one projector and not another. I agree - I'd rather use HDMI or DVI but this PC doesn't have it.

As a side note, on the HW65ES - there isn't even a VGA connector...
So nobody biting on this one... I'm guessing nobody knows of ways of assigning presets to different inputs, or it just isn't possible. I'm guessing the Analog to digital circuitry may have its limitations?

Perhaps my best bet is to either 1) upgrade my ancient computer (but I love it so much), and/or 2) get a VGA to HDMI converter that takes care of the resolutions I want.

Any other suggestions or smart people that know the HW55ES well enough to say for sure if it can/can't be done???

Last edited by danielrg; 12-08-2015 at 02:57 AM.
post #2367 of 2693 Old 12-08-2015, 06:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
I have had the Sony for about a month, but it has shut down on me 2 times now for no apparent reason. I can power it back on and it seems to work fine. I do have a wall surge protector with noise filtering, but not sure if that would be the reason for the auto power off?

Has anyone else had their projector suddenly shut down?

If so, did you find a reason why?

I did read that the "power saving mode" set to standby could cause an auto power down, but I haven't been able to check my settings yet.

Thanks
I have the 40!and my unit just starting to do this too after almost a year of trouble free use. Any suggestions?
post #2368 of 2693 Old 12-08-2015, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Yaniv,

We'd need more information to answer that question well. The Optoma is a DLP and the Sony is an 3LCD type of projector. If you are subject to noticing "rainbow effect" then the Sony will be an improvement. I and my wife are highly susceptible to it, so we didn't look at DLPs for our theater.

The HW55ES is very much a home theater projector, designed for light controlled rooms. While it can handle some ambient light, it isn't its strong suit. The Optoma is designed for high light output, and is more of a living room or multi-purpose room projector. It can go bright, but I suspect that color accuracy may not be as good as the Sony. Contrast levels will be better on the Sony most likely, but again that would only matter in a dedicated room.

So tell us more about how you'll use it... what type of room? What size screen? What type of content (movies, sports, TV), what type of seating? And also important, what will the ambient light levels be in the room? So those are questions that come to my mind.
Hi Daniel,
thank you for your answer.

Well, my projector in set on my living room, projecting onto a 106" screen. i watch 95% movies and 5% tv series. the ambient light is set to minimum although i do not have a black walls or black floor, all is white in my living room (-:

i do not suffer from the "rainbow effect" as far as i know.
my only purpose (and i guess everyone's..) is to improve the entire experience to be more cinematic and to actually "be more in the movie"...

so, do you think upgrading to the sony do the trick?
post #2369 of 2693 Old 12-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfgixxer View Post
I have the 40!and my unit just starting to do this too after almost a year of trouble free use. Any suggestions?
I've never figured out a solution. It hasn't happened in a long time, but it only happened when I was playing the Xbox One (not sure it's related). I have heard several people reporting the same issue so maybe it's a design flaw or something (maybe a lamp issue?). Anyway, good luck

Headless Petie
post #2370 of 2693 Old 12-08-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanivkin View Post
Hi Daniel,
thank you for your answer.

Well, my projector in set on my living room, projecting onto a 106" screen. i watch 95% movies and 5% tv series. the ambient light is set to minimum although i do not have a black walls or black floor, all is white in my living room (-:

i do not suffer from the "rainbow effect" as far as i know.
my only purpose (and i guess everyone's..) is to improve the entire experience to be more cinematic and to actually "be more in the movie"...

so, do you think upgrading to the sony do the trick?
I'd be curious to see what others think as well.

Honestly, if your room is mostly light colors and you may have lights on occasionally that hit the screen at all, I don't think it would be worth the money to you to get the Sony. The Optoma costs much less than the Sony, but I think might be pretty much just as good. You might notice a slight improvement in black levels, but that can be eaten up quickly if there is any back reflection on the screen, which can happen in a light environment.

I've never seen the Optoma in person - so I can't speak from experience. You may want to see if you can find a place to audition the Sony - they have the HW40ES at most Best Buy stores with the Magnolia theater outlet - which if you were considering a Sony I think would be better for your situation - it puts out more light at the slight expense of contrast in some scenes. I'd also consider some of the Epson projectors too. I think the Epson 3020 or 3500 projectors might be able to give you a little more color pop without popping the budget, and they'd be similar in brightness to the Optoma.

To get one of the high contrast projectors like Sony HW55ES or the Epson 5030/6030, I think you need to have a well controlled room where there is not much back reflection on the screen and it really is pretty dark.

All that said - if you did get the Sony I think you'd like it, color is great, contrast is great, performance is very good, and the pixel structure I really like if you get close - but it would probably not be as bright as the Optoma, and you might not like that, that said it would definitely be bright enough for me on a 106" if the lights are off even in a light colored room. Another thing to consider - the Epsons come in a white case, and if your room is light colors you might like the white case. So its a great projector, just not sure that you'd see the value from the extra money over the mid-grade Epsons.

Again, never seen an Optoma in person though - hoping others might say something. Nothing beats auditioning - if you can find them, which isn't always easy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector