Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 132Likes

post #2761 of 2785 Old 03-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I might be looking to purchase an hw55es second hand, should i avoid this model? It seems to tic all my boxes, but all the issues im reading here are scaring me. I mostly watch movies and play video games.

Last edited by david8613; 03-12-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2785 Old 03-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone?
post #2763 of 2785 Old 03-16-2017, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
Anyone?
What issues do you see? I'll PM you

Anthem/Theta Digital/MartinLogan Electrostats/Sony ES FPJ/

post #2764 of 2785 Old 03-23-2017, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Anyone?
I'll tell you that I'm very pleased overall with this projector. Its plenty bright so it can be used with ambient light. I play video games with ambient light coming in during the day and the picture is fine with me. This is in eco mode as well.

To me if you compare this with the Epson I enjoy the picture quality of the Sony much more. Just has a smoothness that I felt the Epson didnt have. In regards to the bulb I wouldn't be concerned with that as this issue can happen with any projector. The lens thing, I haven't seen any issues.

If you can get this for a good price I would say grab it up.

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2765 of 2785 Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Anyone?
I've owned the 55es and Epson 5030. I have a few thousand hours currently on the 55es. The Sony is far far superior in every way.. except RF vs IR 3d.
post #2766 of 2785 Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Anyone?
What price point and condition are you getting this at?

What are your concerns and other projectors that you're thinking of purchasing?

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2767 of 2785 Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Anyone?
Why are you ignoring everyone now?

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2768 of 2785 Old 03-30-2017, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

I apologize for not responding, wifey has been not well, have been dealing with that. My price range 1500 or less, but im thinking i should up my budget go new with warranty, unless i can find a really nice deal on used.
post #2769 of 2785 Old 03-31-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
I apologize for not responding, wifey has been not well, have been dealing with that. My price range 1500 or less, but im thinking i should up my budget go new with warranty, unless i can find a really nice deal on used.
Sorry to hear your wife isnt feeling well. I'm just messing around. Personally I wouldn't buy a projector without a warranty unless its too good of a deal to pass up. I bought mine from Starpower and it was a demo unit B-stock(came from Sony) but still came with a 3 year warranty, 90 day bulb. The price I paid was very fair.

I havent seen it personally nor followed the thread on it but have you given the Sony 45 a fair shake yet? Its on sale for $1800 through tomorrow. I'm not sure what kind of use, room screen type this will be in but may be worth a look.

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2770 of 2785 Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks so much for your input, after doing much research, i went with a brand new sony hw45es, very nice upgrade from a jvc rs2, nice brightness, lots of color pop, just installed it last night so not much time to demo, but im very happy with her.
Scarriere likes this.
post #2771 of 2785 Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for your input, after doing much research, i went with a brand new sony hw45es, very nice upgrade from a jvc rs2, nice brightness, lots of color pop, just installed it last night so not much time to demo, but im very happy with her.
That seems like a good choice. After you get some road miles on it let us know what you think of it.

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2772 of 2785 Old 04-21-2017, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Will do, im on the hunt for a new screen now. looking for an acoustic transparent, tab tensioned screen that will not reflect light back out into my seating area due to my 70" lcd flat panel being behind the screen. I already posted this question in the screen thread. Anyone have experience with this delima can pm me. Seymour screens is sending me samples now, they said that there screens will work for me.
post #2773 of 2785 Old 04-26-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
looking for an acoustic transparent, tab tensioned screen that will not reflect light back out into my seating area
If you want a screen that doesn't reflect light you want a black screen.. That's the whole point of a screen. To reflect light back to us. This is the screen gain measurement you see in screen specs.

I've personally had several screen including a few Seymour XD screens. They are fantastic. If you see any issues with the flat panel behind it just throw a blanket of felt over it. Personally I don't think you'll need to... but just in case.
post #2774 of 2785 Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
As a follow-up question...

I'm 1.2 years into my 3 year warranty. What is the best way to engage Sony for warranty service? Should I use my local A/V dealer I bought the projector from for leverage? Talk to Sony customer support directly?

Have people generally had good experiences with Sony customer service?
Two months later, my second bulb started flickering on high after a little less than 500 hrs. Sony was nice, they paid shipping both ways to the repair shop and I had it back in 2 weeks. They replaced the lamp ballast. They would NOT give me a new bulb even though their faulty unit is eating bulbs for lunch.

I tried the 500 hrs bad bulb with the new ballast - it only lasted another 50 hrs before starting to flicker again - on high. So either the ballast change didn't really fix the problem, or the old ballasts really trashed the bulb. Probably the latter.

I have one bulb that flickered on low but never on high. Has about 200 hrs. We'll see how long this one lasts with the new ballast... I'm scared to even try it on low power. So sad. I love the lack of fan noise on low.

Have others had bulb flicker issues? Is that common with this? I have seen some posts on the HW65 also claiming bulb flicker problems, particularly on ECO mode. Why advertise ECO mode if the projectors can't actually get anywhere near their rated life in ECO? Did I just get unlucky or is this happening on a lot of Sony units?

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #2775 of 2785 Old 05-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
As a follow-up question...

I'm 1.2 years into my 3 year warranty. What is the best way to engage Sony for warranty service? Should I use my local A/V dealer I bought the projector from for leverage? Talk to Sony customer support directly?

Have people generally had good experiences with Sony customer service?
Two months later, my second bulb started flickering on high after a little less than 500 hrs. Sony was nice, they paid shipping both ways to the repair shop and I had it back in 2 weeks. They replaced the lamp ballast. They would NOT give me a new bulb even though their faulty unit is eating bulbs for lunch.

I tried the 500 hrs bad bulb with the new ballast - it only lasted another 50 hrs before starting to flicker again - on high. So either the ballast change didn't really fix the problem, or the old ballasts really trashed the bulb. Probably the latter.

I have one bulb that flickered on low but never on high. Has about 200 hrs. We'll see how long this one lasts with the new ballast... I'm scared to even try it on low power. So sad. I love the lack of fan noise on low.

Have others had bulb flicker issues? Is that common with this? I have seen some posts on the HW65 also claiming bulb flicker problems, particularly on ECO mode. Why advertise ECO mode if the projectors can't actually get anywhere near their rated life in ECO? Did I just get unlucky or is this happening on a lot of these price range of Sony VPL units?

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #2776 of 2785 Old 05-11-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

Have others had bulb flicker issues? Is that common with this? I have seen some posts on the HW65 also claiming bulb flicker problems, particularly on ECO mode. Why advertise ECO mode if the projectors can't actually get anywhere near their rated life in ECO? Did I just get unlucky or is this happening on a lot of Sony units?
I get it after a while on low, primarily with video that has a lot of white or near white in the image. Switching back to high then back to low for a few days seems to resolve it. I did lose one bulb very quickly, maybe 50 hours into its life. This could explain that.

Looky here!
post #2777 of 2785 Old 05-19-2017, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Have others had bulb flicker issues? Is that common with this? I have seen some posts on the HW65 also claiming bulb flicker problems, particularly on ECO mode. Why advertise ECO mode if the projectors can't actually get anywhere near their rated life in ECO? Did I just get unlucky or is this happening on a lot of these price range of Sony VPL units?
You aren't alone. After two service send in attempts I got it back and still had the flickering so it took another few weeks of arguing with support to get them to send me a bulb replacement as a one time thing. I've had this bulb in for around 700hrs now and the flickering came back within the first 2-3months of replacing the bulb. This time appears to be easier to fix though because when it does start to flicker if I just switch of low mode to high for a second and switch back it goes away, really weird. I've also tried cleaning the contacts as I've read online on other forums but it didn't really help with the flickering.

I'm just dealing with it now because the support side is too much of hassle and I know i'll never convince them to replace it after this long. Can't wait for laser prices to drop on 4K models hopefully in the next few years.
post #2778 of 2785 Old 05-22-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got a used HW55ES and I got an issue with the lens shift after tinkering with the unit.
At first the controls worked fine, but now it seems like they may have "jumped out" of their cogs or something.
When I turn them I feel that the control builds up tension like a spring, and then a slight pop sounds and it runs looser again.

This happens when turning both the horizontal and vertical controls in either direction, and the image is moving nowhere.

What should I do, open up the unit and have a look at it, or does someone have a better idea?
post #2779 of 2785 Old 05-22-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVCinder View Post
I just got a used HW55ES and I got an issue with the lens shift after tinkering with the unit.
At first the controls worked fine, but now it seems like they may have "jumped out" of their cogs or something.
When I turn them I feel that the control builds up tension like a spring, and then a slight pop sounds and it runs looser again.

This happens when turning both the horizontal and vertical controls in either direction, and the image is moving nowhere.

What should I do, open up the unit and have a look at it, or does someone have a better idea?
Mine, which was new, did that too. It's not always smooth sailing in either direction, but you tend to get used to it.

Though I will say, I liked having motorized controls with the VW60, and I'm enjoying them again with the JVC RS400.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #2780 of 2785 Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Mine, which was new, did that too. It's not always smooth sailing in either direction, but you tend to get used to it.

Though I will say, I liked having motorized controls with the VW60, and I'm enjoying them again with the JVC RS400.
Did you manage to do something to fix the controls, or did you just keep turning them until something happened?
Mine seem to be doing a lot of nothing
post #2781 of 2785 Old 05-23-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVCinder View Post
Did you manage to do something to fix the controls, or did you just keep turning them until something happened?
Mine seem to be doing a lot of nothing
Yours must be worse than mine then. I sometimes have to turn the dial a half inch or so before it kicks in. I'd say the manual controls have a bit of play in them, but if you're turning a whole bunch with no effect, it may very well be defective.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #2782 of 2785 Old 05-24-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Yours must be worse than mine then. I sometimes have to turn the dial a half inch or so before it kicks in. I'd say the manual controls have a bit of play in them, but if you're turning a whole bunch with no effect, it may very well be defective.
I opened up the projector yesterday and managed to fix it. The construction for the lens shift controls is horrendous, there are plastic worm gears that can get stuck if you run them to the limit, and the wheels that you turn are in two layers, with the outer layer being able to "jump" over the inner wheel, thus creating the snapping sound. It was pretty easy to fix though once I saw it, just turned the worm gear back into position by hand.
post #2783 of 2785 Old 07-12-2017, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone taken their HW55ES apart - looking for a loose connector

All:

I've had my HW55ES for just over 3 years and have posted here a few times about the projector just shutting itself off. It has gotten progressively worse but at 1400 hours, the projector has been lightly used. The projector has been ceiling mounted from the day I got it but in getting ready to work with Sony I pulled it off the ceiling and put it on a table. And instantly I go from a failure every 15-20 minutes to nothing.....flipping the projector right side up is fixing it.... It sounds like a loose connection and I was wondering if anyone has in taking their projector case off found a connector (vertically oriented) that might be prone to come loose - something I could easily reseat and tape if I were to take the bottom off.
post #2784 of 2785 Old 07-20-2017, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I have a bulb and rf adapter available if anyone is interested,

Sony LMP-H202 Bulb / XPAND RF Adapter for HW55ES
post #2785 of 2785 Old 07-22-2017, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdehoff View Post
All:

I've had my HW55ES for just over 3 years and have posted here a few times about the projector just shutting itself off. It has gotten progressively worse but at 1400 hours, the projector has been lightly used. The projector has been ceiling mounted from the day I got it but in getting ready to work with Sony I pulled it off the ceiling and put it on a table. And instantly I go from a failure every 15-20 minutes to nothing.....flipping the projector right side up is fixing it.... It sounds like a loose connection and I was wondering if anyone has in taking their projector case off found a connector (vertically oriented) that might be prone to come loose - something I could easily reseat and tape if I were to take the bottom off.

I have had that happen as well with mine from time to time - with movies that put out a lot of LFE as I recall - so vibration getting to the projector from those low frequencies certainly could be the culprit if there is some sort of connection that can get jarred with the force of gravity helping things out.

- Scott Home theater: Triad Silver/4 LCR, LS, RS; Triad Silver/4 Surround LRS, RRS; Denon X4000; Emotiva XPA-7; Oppo BDP-103; TiVo Roamio Plus; Apple TV; Amazon Fire TV; Sony HW55ES; 120 inch screenStudy: Onkyo NR-717; Klipsch RF-7 II LF, RF; Klipsch RC-64 II C; RF-82 LS, RS; TiVo HD Premium; Samsung LED 40 inch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page