Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 140Likes

post #2791 of 2811 Old 08-09-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledgedboard View Post
Don't buy this PJ or any that use these bulbs. Same flickering issues as danielrg and many others... I also had them replace my ballast.

Basically this projector line, while beautiful picture wise, is a complete mess for maintenance. PJ bulbs are supposed to dim as they age, not flicker.

Every bulb I buy starts flickering around ~500 hours, regardless of how I treat it. This PJ is just not well engineered.

Also the service center Sony had me send it to (United Radio) resulted in the worst service experience I've ever had.

Even if you only buy the cheapest aftermarket bulbs you can find, 500 hours per bulb is still insanely expensive. Don't waste your money.
Sucks you're having issues. I'm about to be on my 3rd lamp. I put around 3k on each lamp so far with only dimming as they age. Absolutely no flicker here. I love the 55es.
Scarriere likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2811 Old 08-09-2017, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I had about 1800 hrs on my first lamp and got flicker every once in a while on low lamp, switching to high and back usually corrected it. Sounds like you have really bad luck.
cdy2179 likes this.
post #2793 of 2811 Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm only on my 2nd bulb and have no flicker either.
cdy2179 likes this.

post #2794 of 2811 Old 08-09-2017, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
Sucks you're having issues. I'm about to be on my 3rd lamp. I put around 3k on each lamp so far with only dimming as they age. Absolutely no flicker here. I love the 55es.
but how fast are you putting those hours on your bulb? I run mine 12+ hours a day.

I wish I was unlucky, but considering the myriad of reports from the 50es through the 65es of this issue, it sounds more like you're the lucky one.
post #2795 of 2811 Old 08-09-2017, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledgedboard View Post
but how fast are you putting those hours on your bulb? I run mine 12+ hours a day.

I wish I was unlucky, but considering the myriad of reports from the 50es through the 65es of this issue, it sounds more like you're the lucky one.
I'm averaging 4000 hrs a year. So very heavy use. Damn teenagers. Like I said. I'm about to order a 3rd lamp.

Honestly it's been an awesome projector. I wouldn't say that people having issues is the norm at all. But sure with electronics there will always be issues as see with a hand full of you guys having issues. If I was having the issues you've had.. I'd be sour with Sony as well.
Scarriere likes this.

Last edited by cdy2179; 08-09-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #2796 of 2811 Old 08-09-2017, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Believe me, %80-90 of sony hw 50-55-65 es series have flicker problem
post #2797 of 2811 Old 08-10-2017, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post
Believe me, %80-90 of sony hw 50-55-65 es series have flicker problem
I have several friends with them..

According to this very thread... there are only a few. It's not 8.5 out of 10. I realize some of you have had bad luck and it sucks but Far more people love their 40es, 50 es, 55 es, 65 es with no issues at all. I mean come on now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stat.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	2265586  
Scarriere likes this.

Last edited by cdy2179; 08-10-2017 at 05:44 AM.
post #2798 of 2811 Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 AM

If you search thread of 40-50-55-65-45 you will see a lot of people say it has lamp flickering but most of them dont care because when it switch to high lamp mode it dissapears. I think you dont notice it maybe you dont have a experienced eyes. Sorry for my english
post #2799 of 2811 Old 08-10-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post
If you search thread of 40-50-55-65-45 you will see a lot of people say it has lamp flickering but most of them dont care because when it switch to high lamp mode it dissapears. I think you dont notice it maybe you dont have a experienced eyes. Sorry for my english
Define "A lot". Seriously. Out of the number of users in those threads, how many complain about flickering? How many complaints are actually lamp issues? How many complaints are due to the film mode setting? Get percentages of users and then see if it's really "A lot".
Scarriere likes this.

Looky here!
post #2800 of 2811 Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 AM

I see some people got angry. I also have sony 50es, and my 2 friends has 55 and 65. All three proj has flicker problems. Mine is after 1000-1200 hours i cant use it with low lamp. I love 50es but when there is a problem and i say yeahh there is a problem here. You dont see any lamp flickering? This is not about bad luck. This is about good luck. İf someone says : i used 4000 hours and zero flicker, this is just very very good luck. Some people dont post here, just get it to high lamp and they go on.

post #2801 of 2811 Old 08-12-2017, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Defending the PJ and those who don't have the flicker issue only serves to insult those who do and have to deal with this insanely frustrating and disappointing issue. In fact, with so many people suggesting simply putting it on high and not realizing that doesn't actually fix it, I suspect many are simply not very sensitive to the problem in the first place. The unfortunate truth is that Sony is selling a product that overwhelmingly costs hundreds if not thousands of dollars more to operate under heavy use than what they advertise.

Sony's ongoing (seriously even the 65s have the issue) consumer abuse shouldn't be excused... every opportunity should be taken to inform consumers so they're aware.

This is a highly likely problem with this product and the product should be avoided.

(Edit: obviously if you only use a PJ like 1000 hours a year then it's probably moot regardless of the PJ you buy... but their 2000 hour+ claims should still be viewed as dubious at best)

Last edited by doubledgedboard; 08-12-2017 at 03:40 AM.
post #2802 of 2811 Old 08-12-2017, 08:04 AM

So only those who have flickering should post here then?
How is it that me saying that after just over four years and 2 bulbs with ZERO issues, I am insulting people?

I'll read and post whatever I want. No insults are intended. Use the ignore feature if you don't like hearing of people having no issues with this awesome projector.
cdy2179 likes this.
post #2803 of 2811 Old 08-15-2017, 03:35 AM

Liked: 37
I like the pretty lies.

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2804 of 2811 Old 08-15-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes .. those of us who love the 55es and have flawless operation should not post here...
post #2805 of 2811 Old 08-15-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yes .. those of us who love the 55es and have flawless operation should not post here...
I don't think that is what he is meaning really. I kind of get where you both are coming from but truth is that you and a few others that post on here have been lucky so far with no issues but it also doesn't mean they don't exist. I've had issues since about month 3 of owning this projector (going on almost 3yrs now). Some of us have just learned to live with it because of the hassles in trying to get Sony to admit there is a problem. I'm not sure where it lies (whether bulb or projector itself) but the problem seems inevitable to me. Just a matter of time if you are using the low setting (which just by chance gives me the best PQ).

I'm sure the actual number of people with problems isn't as huge as us with problems might seem but again they may just not notice the problem or have there PQ settings set differently which doesn't produce the problem. If you are running any mode other than ECO or low mode you likely won't see the flickering as all it takes when mine does it is to switch from low to high for a few seconds and then the flickering goes away for usually the rest of the time i'm watching it that night. It also doesn't tend to do it until its been on and running for more than an hour or so.

I just wish Sony would admit fault and fix or replace them but it seems they don't know how or just flat out don't want to be bothered to. With mine they replaced the optic block and HDMI board first and sent it to me but it still had the issue, then they replaced the bulb after arguing with me but now they refuse to even listen to me anymore so I gave up.
post #2806 of 2811 Old 08-15-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruc03 View Post
I just wish Sony would admit fault and fix or replace them but it seems they don't know how or just flat out don't want to be bothered to. With mine they replaced the optic block and HDMI board first and sent it to me but it still had the issue, then they replaced the bulb after arguing with me but now they refuse to even listen to me anymore so I gave up.
I agree that they should fix it .. if it's under warranty. If not it's hard to determine what's the normal failure rate... what's acceptable flicker to dictate a flawed unit etc. I don't think you should be forced to use high mode. I wouldn't be happy. I'm a very heavy user and I love mine.

honestly it's a lamp.. it could be effected by age or even noise on the input power or anything connected to it. Have you guys tried a UPS and let it power it to test..or disconnected input HDMI ?
post #2807 of 2811 Old 08-16-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I agree that they should fix it .. if it's under warranty. If not it's hard to determine what's the normal failure rate... what's acceptable flicker to dictate a flawed unit etc. I don't think you should be forced to use high mode. I wouldn't be happy. I'm a very heavy user and I love mine.

honestly it's a lamp.. it could be effected by age or even noise on the input power or anything connected to it. Have you guys tried a UPS and let it power it to test..or disconnected input HDMI ?
Mine was still under warranty but Sony refused to do anything after replacing my bulb the last time. I put the brand new Sony bulb in and after about a month it was flickering again after being on an running for more than an hour in low mode. I've tried every possible thing to get it to stop. My unit is powered directly from an APC power conditioner so i'm sure its not that. Not a huge deal to me anymore after living with it for so long and I can get it to go away just by changing it to high mode for a few seconds and then switch back to low. Another weird thing to note is if i'm watching a 3D movie it never happens, probably to do with the picture being much brighter in 3D to make up for the glasses. It should hold me over for a few years until 4K laser projectors come down in price.
cdy2179 likes this.
post #2808 of 2811 Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruc03 View Post
Mine was still under warranty but Sony refused to do anything after replacing my bulb the last time. I put the brand new Sony bulb in and after about a month it was flickering again after being on an running for more than an hour in low mode. I've tried every possible thing to get it to stop. My unit is powered directly from an APC power conditioner so i'm sure its not that. Not a huge deal to me anymore after living with it for so long and I can get it to go away just by changing it to high mode for a few seconds and then switch back to low. Another weird thing to note is if i'm watching a 3D movie it never happens, probably to do with the picture being much brighter in 3D to make up for the glasses. It should hold me over for a few years until 4K laser projectors come down in price.
Yeah if high mode fixes it you will never see it in 3d because 3d forces the projector into high lamp mode.
post #2809 of 2811 Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Yeah if high mode fixes it you will never see it in 3d because 3d forces the projector into high lamp mode.
Yeah must be something to do with the extra brightness that smooths the flicker out. Maybe i'll try calibrating some different modes this weekend other than reference to see if it helps.
post #2810 of 2811 Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 PM

Jruc and others who have issues with the 55es, that's a ****ty deal. It wasn't an inexpensive projector and I feel bad for you.
post #2811 of 2811 Old 10-08-2017, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Someone with a Xbox one and HW55ES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devian View Post
Hi,

First post here but already read and learned a lot.

Lets get to the point:

The problem i've got is that i cannot get 30 bit or 36 bits per pixel COLOR OUTPUT from my Xbox ONE working on the HW55ES.
I've got the beamer almost 2 years now and have this problem since the beginning but as i've had a long hdmi cable i thought this might be the reason.

On 24 bits output of xbox one i've even had some distortion in the menu. Well,, finally bought 3 different kind of HDMI repeaters, to see what works best and send other back. They solve the distortion on 24 bit but none of them will let it work on 30 or 36 bits. Thought i'm gettng crazy. Everytime the beamer says: ''Frequency out of reach''

So thought, to be 100% sure the beamer is OK i test with a short cable directly from Xbox ONE to the beamer (2 METER Philips 4K compatible HDMI 1.4B cable)
Again the SAME PROBLEM,,,, what the **** is going on... Is my beamer faulty?

Can anybody check if 30 bits or 36 bits output from XBOX works on this HW55ES BEAMER.... Really dissapointed in this...
My 6 YEAR OLD Samsung LCD TV has no problem with the XBOX ONE 36 BIT output, now forced to play at 24 BITS, with a 3500 EURO Beamer.... crazy.........

Hope to hear soon, i might gonna drop a complain at Sony..
Also got the problem of the right side of the screen image going down (at the right end of the beamer output), no matter what i do, cannot get rid of it. As i read others have the same problem and some who tried to claim warranty got the answer that this is acceptable quality so nothing is fixed.

Also got a Sony STR DN1040 which doesnt work good with my Samsung TV, all internet is flooded with this problem and I've got them to replace mainboard with no result, they cannot fix it.... Sony has a bad name at us....... (sorry off-topic, all because of the stress sony causes...)
I still have the issue's mentioned above, anyone else tested the xbox one with those projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page