AVS Forum banner

Owners thread Sony Hw55ES

297K views 3K replies 406 participants last post by  beekermartin 
#1 ·
My first short impressions(coming from a epson tw9000).

The good:

A razor sharp picture does this unit throw at your screen..

Amazing contrast(a step up from my epson).

Very very good blacks.

No more screendoor(i sit very upclose and i saw that on my epson.).

Reality creation gives 3d more clarity..

3d is sharper and it has far more details then my old epson..

FI works good in 3d

More then enough light for my 100 inch screen in 2d.

The bad:

Still ghosting in 3d(sometimes more then my old epson tw9000)

The ir transmitter inside the sony unit is not that strong( i have it on the same place sitting where my epson was but now i loose sync

i can see some flicker through the glasses that was better(less) with the epson..

And mine didnt come with a spare lamp??

But its a great projector with great pop and depth in the image and razor sharp!

So this is just my opinion and not a professional review..

Best regards:)

Ps by the way sorry for my bad english...wink.gif

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23939890

My first short impressions(coming from a epson tw9000).

The good:

A razor sharp picture does this unit throw at your screen..

Amazing contrast(a step up from my epson).

Very very good blacks.

No more screendoor(i sit very upclose and i saw that on my epson.).

Reality creation gives 3d more clarity..

3d is sharper and it has far more details then my old epson..

FI works good in 3d

More then enough light for my 100 inch screen in 2d.

The bad:

Still ghosting in 3d(sometimes more then my old epson tw9000)

The ir transmitter inside the sony unit is not that strong( i have it on the same place sitting where my epson was but now i loose sync

i can see some flicker through the glasses that was better(less) with the epson..

But its a great projector with great pop and depth in the image and razor sharp!

So this is just my opinion and not a professional review..

Best regards:)

Ps by the way sorry for my bad english...wink.gif

You're always going to have more flicker with this vs your old Epson TW9000. The Epson has 480hz panel drive in 3D, whereas the Sony is 240hz 3D. The difference is massive. It's one of my biggest complaints with the Sony HW50ES (and the 55ES) is that the flicker is insane compared to my old Panasonic PT-AE7000 and PT-AE8000 which both used 480hz 3D like your Epson did.

I hope we see an overhaul of these SXRD projectors next year to better implement 3D, because right now it's a weak link in the Sony. Not as weak as the JVCs, but weak nonetheless.

Thanks for the impressions!

#7 ·
Great- Looks like I can definitely mount in the same location.

Looking forward to watching some movies - sold my old PJ over a month ago.... and sports on a 32" screen just isn't cutting it!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23940203

You're always going to have more flicker with this vs your old Epson TW9000. The Epson has 480hz panel drive in 3D, whereas the Sony is 240hz 3D. The difference is massive. It's one of my biggest complaints with the Sony HW50ES (and the 55ES) is that the flicker is insane compared to my old Panasonic PT-AE7000 and PT-AE8000 which both used 480hz 3D like your Epson did.

I hope we see an overhaul of these SXRD projectors next year to better implement 3D, because right now it's a weak link in the Sony. Not as weak as the JVCs, but weak nonetheless.

Thanks for the impressions!

Well I wouldn't use the term "insane" but I would agree that the flicker in 3D is the Sony's Achilles heel. It's supposedly better in the 4K projectors, so maybe it's not a limitation in the LCOS technology itself.

That being said there's many a movie where the Sonys give an immensely satisfying 3D experience. It's only in scenes with rapid motion, that the flicker becomes apparent.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23940603

Well I wouldn't use the term "insane" but I would agree that the flicker in 3D is the Sony's Achilles heel. It's supposedly better in the 4K projectors, so maybe it's not a limitation in the LCOS technology itself.

That being said there's many a movie where the Sonys give an immensely satisfying 3D experience. It's only in scenes with rapid motion, that the flicker becomes apparent.

I think it is, indeed, highly subjective. There are moments when the flicker and motion issues are just insane in 3D, for me, on the HW50ES.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23940609

I think it is, indeed, highly subjective. There are moments when the flicker and motion issues are just insane in 3D, for me, on the HW50ES.

Yes, Tintin is just too hard on my eyes in 3D due to all the flicker. Yet I was not distracted by flicker at all during Finding Nemo. I think it is important to emphasize the flicker in the Sonys only is evident when watching in 3d and only in scenes with fast motion. It's not like watching the old film projectors where the flicker was evident between every frame of film.Many movies still look great in 3d on the 50ES and I'm sure the same is true for the 55ES as well.

I've noticed ghosting only the once, and I reduced the glass from the max value to the next level down and it became imperceptible. There's lots of talk about ghosting but to me it's not really a problem and certainly nowhere as evident as the flicker.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23940659

Yes, Tintin is just too har don my eyes in 3D due to all the flicker. Yet I was not distracted by flicker at all during Finding Nemo. I think it is important to emphasize the flicker in the Sonys only is evident when watching in 3d and only in scenes with fast motion. It's not like watching the old film projectors where the flicker was evident between every frame of film.Many movies still look great in 3d on the 50ES and I'm sure the same is true for the 55ES as well.

I've noticed ghosting only the once, and I reduced the glass from the max value to the next level down and it became imperceptible. There's lots of talk about ghosting but to me it's not really a problem and certainly nowhere as evident as the flicker.

Agreed on the ghosting. The HW50 is terrific in this regard. And yes, I lowered the glasses from the max value to one lower, and that completely reduced the ghosting to imperceptible, as you say. The max level is just not acceptable to me, and one level down is great.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23940603

+1

I have seen a couple of 3d movies now and you only see it in very very bright scenes.. and its not that bad..

So for most part its very satisfying..

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23940659

Yes, Tintin is just too hard on my eyes in 3D due to all the flicker. Yet I was not distracted by flicker at all during Finding Nemo. I think it is important to emphasize the flicker in the Sonys only is evident when watching in 3d and only in scenes with fast motion. It's not like watching the old film projectors where the flicker was evident between every frame of film.Many movies still look great in 3d on the 50ES and I'm sure the same is true for the 55ES as well.

I am gonne try that tintin movie and see how it is on the sonyhw55;)

#14 ·
I have the HW50ES and the IR transmitter in my unit only worked on the Sony glasses and would drop sync on occasion. AVS was able to get an external IR transmitter to me for free which resolved the syncing issues.

I'd wonder if it would be worth it for you to get the RF transmitter and glasses.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23941174

I have the HW50ES and the IR transmitter in my unit only worked on the Sony glasses and would drop sync on occasion. AVS was able to get an external IR transmitter to me for free which resolved the syncing issues.

I'd wonder if it would be worth it for you to get the RF transmitter and glasses.

I ordered the rf transmitter,

I will report back if i got it...

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23941190

And mine didnt come with a spare lamp??

The HW55 doesn't come with a spare lamp, instead Sony provides a voucher with the purchase. This should be in the box. If not, I would contact whomever you bought it from and request the voucher.

I will do that...

#19 ·

Quote:

Today i watched tintin,

That one looked absolutly stunning:) on de sony hw55es,almost no flicker..

And the detail was amazing.

#21 ·
Maybe i made a mistake..

Didnt i only have to order the Optoma 'ZF2100' rf glasses with that emitter that comes with it and plug that straight in the sony hw55ES?

So i didnt have to buy that sony emitter or am i wrong?

With the optoma i can play with the settings like duty cycle etc....

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23944876

Maybe i made a mistake..

Didnt i only have to order the Optoma 'ZF2100' rf glasses with that emitter that comes with it and plug that straight in the sony hw55ES?

Well, you're one of the first to have the 55ES - I guess you'll answer that question for the rest of us!

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23944876

Maybe i made a mistake..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh  /t/1499280/owners-thread-sony-hw55es#post_23944994

Well, you're one of the first to have the 55ES - I guess you'll answer that question for the rest of us!

Pretty sure you're gonna need to get the official RF transmitter and 3D glasses from Sony .

Data below pulled from the specifications tab on the Sony link.

- Transmitter: Optional external transmitter (TMR-PJ2)

- Glasses: Optional rechargeable glasses (TDG-PJ1)

It wont hurt to test out what you're doing now, but I would got with the equipment that was specifically designed for the HW55.

#25 ·
So today i got the rf emitter(AD025_RF-X1)and a sony TDG-BT500A .

Is there a difference in ghosting ?

No there isnt..

But they Always stay in sync no matter what i do.

But after some more testing i prefer the 3d3 glasses(i had them still laying around from my old projector) they accept ir signals and rf signals..

And they are more comfortable.

The sony glasses that come with the hw55es are hurting my nose:rolleyes:

And if you move head a little they show easier some ghosting.

Now i have connected for my situation an external ir transmitter and now the ir glasses keep in sync also..

i watched tonight the movie planes and it looked great with very minimal ghosting..

Sorry for my bad english..

But i hope you like the information..