PTAE8000U 2012 edition... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-12-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have started my home theater project and just ordered a PTAE8000U online (Amazon via third party seller).

It was listed as 2012 edition. I wasn't able to tell if that meant anything or if it was just a reference to the fact that there is no panny for 2013?

I got a price that was about $250 less than I was finding anywhere else, so I decided to spend $175 on the Amazon 4 year square trade warranty. I usually don't buy them, but this way I got the projector AND the warranty for a little less than I was seeing them go for everywhere else.

ANYWAY, I open all of that for comment or beat me up and tell me I've screwed up horribly... Etc...

The questions I have are as follows...

1. I'll need 3D glasses. I have a half-dozen for my 2011 (I think) Samsung LCD in the family room. I doubt they'll work here? What is the recommended 3d glasses for this unit? Is there a standard that everyone recommends? Xpand? There are a ton of models.

2. I'm looking at the peerless PRGUNV mount. On amazon there is a brand new model listed for about the same price ~$95. Anyone have any recommendations on whether the new model is any good, or should I stay with the old model or something totally different?

3. Also, is there a good "best screen" thread I can read over? I have friends who use painted walls and they look surprisingly good, but I'm going to go with a decent screen. I'm not going to spend a fortune, but maybe a budget of $400-$600 with some flex.

4. I would like to put the sub (I've had an old Velodyne CHT-15 for a while that I assume will be fine for my needs) but I'm wondering how far can you run the RCA cables to a sub before you need an amp or something. I was hoping to avoid having to buy a wireless trans/rec to get the sub to the back of the room. Any thoughts?

5. I Am going to update my older Yamaha surround receiver, it was made before hdmi so I don't want to deal with that.

I have a dedicated theater room with walls dark, dark brown, as well as the ceiling the same dark, dark brown. Carpet is light tan, but I have a dark burgundy/blue 8'x10' area rug I'll put down in front of the screen that will help with reflection.

We do have windows, but we have blinds, and we have roman shades going over those. If we still have light leakage, we are going to put up cheap blackout curtains to black it out. It should be very dark!

It is a LARGE room, dedicated for home theater. Only downside is standard 8 foot ceilings, but the room is prewired for 7.1 and it has a dedicated media closet for the equipment.

Any help or even yelling at me and pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Steele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

I'm guessing that I did something wrong here, if I posted in the wrong place could someone please move it? Thanks for any help.

I would like to add one more question.

Q. I received the projector from Valex online via amazon. The box arrived with one corner that had cardboard from a large Belkin box covering it, upon opening it the belkin box was covering a huge dent in the Panasonic box.

It has obviously been dropped on the corner pretty hard. The inner box was crushed, the styrofoam was dented, but the projector APPEARS un damaged at a glance.

So... How much of a beating can these things take? Is it likely to be fine? I was a little suspicious of the price as it was $1,999 with free fed ex shipping, but it was sold through amazon so I assume that I have some recourse if it is damaged,

Any thoughts? I would appreciate any experiences from anyone who has dealt with hard drops or know how sturdy these projectors are...

Tom
post #3 of 5 Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There is an established thread. Take another look at the thrwads.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, the old "use the search" post. I'll search and see what I find... thanks
post #5 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 06:31 AM

Just spotted this, and only just brought my PT-AT6000 a few weeks ago (its the European name for exactly the same projector).

I cannot answer anything but the 3D glasses.  You will want to do a search for TW-EW3D3 glasses, they used to come in small medium and large, and they also are labelled for each region (U = US, E = European, C = China), the region makes no difference at all to actual functionality.

So for example if you want a set of large glasses look for TY-EW3D3LU (or TY=EW3D3LE etc), I just tend to seach ebay for EW3D3 and it throws up a lot to bid on.

They are infrared glasses, there is an older model that is compatible as well called the TY-EW3D2, they are heavier, let slightly less light through, and look a bit more like ski goggles but if you like them then its worth hunting them down.

The small and large can still be found for sale but are discontinued, as someone with a large head :) (one size baseball caps do not fit me well) I find the mediums to fit me fine.  The next generation of glasses Panasonic have moved to are all wireless so are incompatible with the PT-AT6000/PT-AE8000.

Going to try out a set of Large glasses this weekend more out of curiosity, but from the feedback others have said they are slightly less comfortable, we shall see.  Overall feedback I've seen is that the Panasonic glasses are good, I would like to try the Sony's though if they are compatible.

If your bat cave is huge then you might want to buy a ET-TRM110 external IR transmitter for extra range, but for my setup (normal living room) I found no problems with the IR range.

On the box damage that is curious, my projector was delivered with a ~4" dent in a top corner of the box (and it was only delivered in its main box - cheap box shifters!), it was otherwise intact and had never been used before (so was not a return) and works perfectly (good convergence and colour).  Just wondering here if there is another reason other than the box being dropped to cause the dent now...

Good luck and have fun with your new projector!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Peerless Prg Mount
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page