I need advice with projector purchase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

To start, thanks for the help.  This is my first dedicated home theater and I am looking at the Sony 50 es, Jvc x35, and Panasonic 8000.  I primarily watch sports, movies and game on occasions.  I have been able to see the Sony and JVC but have not seen the Panny, therefore have only the forum to make suggestions regarding this product.  The Sony and JVC are roughly in the price point range of 2800-3200.00 and the Panny prices have ranged from 2400-2700.00.  My room is 15x18 with dark walls and light controlled environment.  

My questions are :

1.  Are these good prices for these projectors from your experience?

2.  How do these projectors compare and what would be your recommendations?

3.  What screens would you advise if trying to stay under 1500.00 fixed frame 120".  

4.  If the sony is the recommendation, would you look to get the 55 es v/s the 50.

Thanks in advance, and all information will be greatly appreciated.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-10-2013, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneswipe View Post

To start, thanks for the help.  This is my first dedicated home theater and I am looking at the Sony 50 es, Jvc x35, and Panasonic 8000.  I primarily watch sports, movies and game on occasions.  I have been able to see the Sony and JVC but have not seen the Panny, therefore have only the forum to make suggestions regarding this product.  The Sony and JVC are roughly in the price point range of 2800-3200.00 and the Panny prices have ranged from 2400-2700.00.  My room is 15x18 with dark walls and light controlled environment.  

My questions are :
1.  Are these good prices for these projectors from your experience?
2.  How do these projectors compare and what would be your recommendations?
3.  What screens would you advise if trying to stay under 1500.00 fixed frame 120".  
4.  If the sony is the recommendation, would you look to get the 55 es v/s the 50.

Thanks in advance, and all information will be greatly appreciated.  

Well - I think the prices are decent - but not sure you can find a new Sony 50ES any more. I think those have been pretty much sold out and the replacement 55ES is the only thing you can order now that is new. You may find one or two here and there that are available from a given dealer I suppose - but they will be hard to find. Might find a good deal on one though if you do.

You mention gaming - so that might sway you some between the JVC and the Sony. I believe the Sony has much less lag so is probably better there. Screens are not my forte at all - I have an Elite EZ-Frame AT (acoustically transparent) 120" screen (1.0 gain) right now - my center channel speaker is an in-wall and mounted behind the screen - so my choices are a bit more limited perhaps in that area than yours. You didn't mention where or what kind of speakers you had - so that may or may not be a limitation for you. Those screens I think are around 700.00 or so - so with your budget I am sure you can get something much better than what I have.

I would recommend giving Mike Garrett or one of the other folks at AV Science a call - they were very helpful to me in reviewing my room and giving me recommendations on various upgrades that I have done over the course of the last 6 months or so.

The good thing is your room is light controlled and has dark walls. That makes a big difference. What is your ceiling color? If not a similar dark color you might consider painting it to match or accent the wall color to darken it as well. Same for your trimwork. Cuts way down on the light being reflected all around from your screen.

- Scott
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page