post #31 of 42 Old 11-16-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post

Yep the price seems good .. I was just wondering why there are not so many retailers selling this projector, as compared to other projectors ... I mean if the 2D image quality is so rock solid, then it should be an easy buy for most people, no ? Instead, its availability is so rare in the US .. I haven't seen even one proper online US based retailer selling it, compared to Epson 5030 (for example), which is sold so commonly everywhere ...

Still waiting to hear from someone on how does the 3D performance of Optoma HD131XE compare with that of Benq models ?

Correct, there are no on-line resellers of this product, because dealers are not allowed to sell it on-line. Just like you do not see on-line resellers (besides Sony Store) selling Sony projectors. Getting caught doing so can mean loss of your dealership. If we can help you give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 11-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Agreed, though regarding the 7000 I would be waiting to see what the w7500 is like as it is using dark chip 3 so black levels should be improved and it runs at 144hz. Looks like a promising iteration worth waiting for.

I would almost recommend getting the jvc now which you can use for 3d for the meantime and then buy a second projector a little later once the w7500 is out so one can better decide if it is worth it or not.

edit: another good all round projector worth considering is the Sharp XV-Z30000, especially if you are going to go with a HP retro reflective screen and if your setup can accommodate such a setup.

+1 on the Sharp for 3D.
If you follow this Forum, the most comprehensive (seen them all) "objective" opinion. is from Zombie.
He has had the JVC for 2D and the Sharp for 3D. Even now, that he has gone to the Sony 4K for 2D, he retained the Sharp for 3D...
As a matter of note, he uses the Sharp for day to day 2D as well. The cost of operation is very low and the DLP "pop" is great for video and sports, and very good for movies.
post #33 of 42 Old 11-17-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Please let us know more about your viewing habits. From the thread title and your original post you're making it seem like you want to purchase a projector with the best 3D performance as opposed to a great 2D projector that also can do 3D. The Epson 5030 meets the requirements I just mentioned, but for the absolute best 3D performance a DLP projector is the way to go. The W7000 as previously mentioned is great for 3D but pretty mediocre when it comes to 2D performance.

With your $3500 budget you can have the best of both worlds, but that would require two projectors. A b-stock/refurbished JVC DLA-RS45 will run you around $2000, sometimes cheaper and will give you the best 2D experience money can buy for under $5000 and something like an Optoma HD131Xe will give you the best 3D experience and it only costs $750. On a good day you could buy both and stay under $3000 and put the extra $500 you were planning on spending on a single projector to better use somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Agreed, you could also get a b stock JVC DLA-RS45 for 2d and the w7000 for 3d for $3500 as the w7000 is available refurbished for $1500, and the bstock jvc as per your post is $2000 (I thought it was closer to $2500, at $2000 I may purchase myself a jvc and run this setup myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

JVC RS-46 and BenQ W1070. Or get the Optoma 131xe instead of the BQ. Just a suggestion....

To everyone who has recommended the budget Benq or Optoma projectors :: Do you actually think the 3D on these projectors is good enough ? I mean, better than the 3D in Epson 5030 ?

The reason I ask is because in my other thread, these low cost projectors are being hammered a LOT, and people are saying they have poor picture quality in 3D ...

Which school of thought is true here ?? Please help me out .. frown.gif
post #34 of 42 Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

To everyone who has recommended the budget Benq or Optoma projectors :: Do you actually think the 3D on these projectors is good enough ? I mean, better than the 3D in Epson 5030 ?

The reason I ask is because in my other thread, these low cost projectors are being hammered a LOT, and people are saying they have poor picture quality in 3D ...

The 3D performance is perfect on these units. No ghosting and plenty bright. It's the overall picture quality that's the issue. These sub $1000 DLP projectors lack the contrast performance that something at or above the $2000 range have and that goes a long with both 2D and 3D picture quality. Even behind the polarized glasses my HD131Xe needs help with contrast performance. Have fun watching something like A Christmas Carol and Harry Potter in 3D and enjoying the image. It will look washed out with darker content which is why I'd recommend something like the Sharp XV-Z30000 if you want to stick with a DLP projector and still get decent contrast performance. For the price these sub $1000 projectors are asking it's got a great image, but spend $2000+ and you'll get a HUGE increase in overall picture quality. If you have the money, don't waste your time with the cheaper DLPs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #35 of 42 Old 11-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Crosstalk flicker free 3d. I haven't seen the new epson model enough to comment but in 3d the budget dlp's killed last years epson models in 3d for myself. But then again crosstalk is unacceptable to me as it always takes me out of the film, some people notice it less though and aren't all that bothered by some minor cross talk. I however am.

post #36 of 42 Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:

"good enough." Hmmmm... So subjective. Every PJ has some limitations. None are perfect. Nothing created by mortals is. Which is why these budget DLP's were recommended as part of a 2 PJ set-up to cover the 3D only part of the equation. For that, yes, they're good enough, and frankly out-perform the PJ that had been "good enough" for me for years.

If you want one PJ - go with the 5030 if you like it.

I haven't seen it, so can't comment, but I trust Zombie's take that it is second to the Sharp In 3D.

It seems to be a strong contender for best all-around PJ under $4k this year.

That "other thread" was best PJ for 3D under $3k - which is about your entire budget. So yeah - these sub $1k PJ's don't necessarily out-compete with the ones that are triple their price. But there really aren't too many DLP's between $1 and $3k....which is still considered the "best" tech for 3D.

But "good enough" is much more subjective....and for me, to my eye, LCD technology's PQ is NOT "good enough". SO if I were pressed, and I wanted the best possible 3D and the best overall experience, And I was willing to have 2 PJ's I'd have a cheaper DLP for 3D and something like an LCOS for everything else, because my budget is not all that dissimilar to your stated budget.

Otherwise, I'd buy the Sony - which is what I did, because I'll take less than perfect 3D, which may be it's biggest weakness, and the black level kills my old DLP. I won't know what I'm missing by not having the JVC.

Summary - no I doubt they're better than the 5030.

post #37 of 42 Old 11-17-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Not better than the 5030, except in potentially one case, but only if you are doing gaming in bright scenes you might like the lower-end DLP's better depending on how objectionable ghosting is for you in games, and depending what type of games you play. However, the Epsons probably won't bother you in gaming either until you get enough hours on the lamp to matter, but most people have replaced the lamp by then.

That said, as I noted in the other thread, I'd never do gaming on an LCD, but that's a matter of personal preference for me.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #38 of 42 Old 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

Can't speak to DLP link from experience - but there's plenty of info on it out there.

As far as one PJ for all - either the Sony HW50 or the Epson 5030.

And dag-nabbit - I already answered this question once - one PJ - Sony or Epson.....so no I don't think the cheaper DLP's are better than the Epson (or the Sony).

post #39 of 42 Old 11-17-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
For me, a single projector solution would have to be the Sharp xvz-30000, but that is because I prefer a DLP in 2D over an LCD, even if the LCD has better blacks. I like LCOS and DLP in 2D, but for some reason LCD is a bit more in my face at times. I guess I could live with it if I got used to the LCD look again (but coming from LCOS and DLP, I'm no longer used to watching LCD), so I'm just saying I think LCOS and DLP will be preferred by some people over LCD, regardless of specific image attributes.

I'm actually getting less picky as time goes by (maybe), because a different look is sometimes new and interesting for a while, but I have a feeling I'd always go back to DLP or LCOS.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #40 of 42 Old 11-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

For me, a single projector solution would have to be the Sharp xvz-30000, but that is because I prefer a DLP in 2D over an LCD, even if the LCD has better blacks.

I was almost there too, as I've always had Sharp brand DLP since I came over from the CRT dark side, but the Sony looked good - good enough for me to upgrade to the 55ES. But a lot of people like the Epson, and the 5030 sounds even better than the 5020.

post #41 of 42 Old 11-17-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
The big advantage the Sony has over the Epson is a far better dynamic iris implementation and, in my opinion, is well worth the price premium over the 5030.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #42 of 42 Old 11-19-2013, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Guys, I have summarized my somewhat final decision here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500343/whats-the-most-appropriate-projector-screen-size-configuration-final-round#post_23967411

Please comment there on what are your thoughts on it ! smile.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page