Need 3D Projector suggestions ... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys ... So I need some suggestions on which 3D Projector I should get for the home theater room in the basement of my new house .. The room was custom built to be a home theater room, and will primarily be used to watch movies, TV shows, play games, etc ..

I've looked around, and one projector which seems to be generally recommended is the Epson 5030UB (or 5020, which is the previous model) ... Are there any other serious contenders to consider here ? What are the tradeoffs, if any ?

This will be my first own projector, which I personally own, so I'm looking for something awesome biggrin.gif .. My max price range would be about $2500 ~ $3500 I guess ..

I think I'll most probably be having a 16:9 screen, with about 110" ~ 120" diagonal length ..

The room's layout is shown below:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 11-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If 3d is your number one priority without question then Benq w7000 or its soon(ish) to be released replacement the w7500.

If 3d is also your main goal you could also go with a dalite hp 2.4 (or 2.8 if you can find one) screen, that is of course if your setup allows for it as retroreflective screens have to be setup in a very certain way for the advantages to be present.

No flicker and I have only seen on instance of crosstalk, no lcd projector will be able to provide such a bright and clean image as a quality dlp like this in 3d. The one possible downside is the rainbow effect. Most people such as myself don't/can't see it, but a small number of people can, so it may be worth checking out some dlps nearby to make sure you don't see it or if you do see it you will know if it does or doesn't bother you.
post #3 of 42 Old 11-13-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Please let us know more about your viewing habits. From the thread title and your original post you're making it seem like you want to purchase a projector with the best 3D performance as opposed to a great 2D projector that also can do 3D. The Epson 5030 meets the requirements I just mentioned, but for the absolute best 3D performance a DLP projector is the way to go. The W7000 as previously mentioned is great for 3D but pretty mediocre when it comes to 2D performance.

With your $3500 budget you can have the best of both worlds, but that would require two projectors. A b-stock/refurbished JVC DLA-RS45 will run you around $2000, sometimes cheaper and will give you the best 2D experience money can buy for under $5000 and something like an Optoma HD131Xe will give you the best 3D experience and it only costs $750. On a good day you could buy both and stay under $3000 and put the extra $500 you were planning on spending on a single projector to better use somewhere else.
post #4 of 42 Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Please let us know more about your viewing habits. From the thread title and your original post you're making it seem like you want to purchase a projector with the best 3D performance as opposed to a great 2D projector that also can do 3D. The Epson 5030 meets the requirements I just mentioned, but for the absolute best 3D performance a DLP projector is the way to go. The W7000 as previously mentioned is great for 3D but pretty mediocre when it comes to 2D performance.

With your $3500 budget you can have the best of both worlds, but that would require two projectors. A b-stock/refurbished JVC DLA-RS45 will run you around $2000, sometimes cheaper and will give you the best 2D experience money can buy for under $5000 and something like an Optoma HD131Xe will give you the best 3D experience and it only costs $750. On a good day you could buy both and stay under $3000 and put the extra $500 you were planning on spending on a single projector to better use somewhere else.

Agreed, you could also get a b stock JVC DLA-RS45 for 2d and the w7000 for 3d for $3500 as the w7000 is available refurbished for $1500, and the bstock jvc as per your post is $2000 (I thought it was closer to $2500, at $2000 I may purchase myself a jvc and run this setup myself).
post #5 of 42 Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Agreed, you could also get a b stock JVC DLA-RS45 for 2d and the w7000 for 3d for $3500 as the w7000 is available refurbished for $1500, and the bstock jvc as per your post is $2000 (I thought it was closer to $2500, at $2000 I may purchase myself a jvc and run this setup myself).

I've seen refurbished RS45's sell as cheap as $1750. JVC was selling them at that price direct from their USA headquarters through their official ebay account. Keep an eye out here as they sell them as they become available:

http://stores.ebay.com/JVCPROSTORE

They haven't had anything available through ebay in a month or two but they'll pop up randomly.
post #6 of 42 Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I've seen refurbished RS45's sell as cheap as $1750. JVC was selling them at that price direct from their USA headquarters through their official ebay account. Keep an eye out here as they sell them as they become available:

http://stores.ebay.com/JVCPROSTORE

They haven't had anything available through ebay in a month or two but they'll pop up randomly.

My goodness, if I can get it for that price I am going to be all over it, and i'm someone who is very hard to convince to get anything that isn't a dlp.
post #7 of 42 Old 11-13-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

I subscribed to this thread, but still I didn't get any reply notification emails tongue.gif ..

Anyways, well I guess 80% ~ 90% of the times, I'll be seeing 2D, because there are still very few movies which are available in 3D too ... This could change in the future, as 3D is being used in the industry more and more nowadays .. I'm not a *die hard* fan of 3D, but if there's a movie which has a 3D version, I generally prefer to see it in 3D first .. I used to play a lot of PS3 games, until 1-2 years ago, and then I 'grew up' and generally don't have time for gaming anymore tongue.gif .. However having said that, I can't rule out 3D gaming right now, as there's PS4 and Xbox One coming out, so there can be some decent 3D action happening there ..

I would also prefer to just get one projector for now if possible .. Once I'm used to using projectors and knowing more about them, I can then get a second one maybe .. So right now I guess I'm looking for a projector which performs well in both 2D and 3D !! I have a Sony 46EX720 LED currently, which is the only 3D capable display I have in my home currently .. I bought it to just get a taste of 3D in my own home without going to the cinema .. And although the 3D is decent, its not exactly an immersive 'popping out' experience that you witness in the cinema, and that's the kind of experience I'd like to get at my home now, through this new projector .. But having said this, I also don't want to sacrifice 2D performance too, since on average, 90% of all things I view are currently in 2D ..

Sorry if the above puts y'all in a tight spot .. I am open to suggestions though:)

Also, I've never experienced DLP or Plasma .. All my experience is entirely with LCD and LED HDTVs .. So frankly I'm not sure what to expect if I were to get a DLP projector instead of an LCD one .. I don't know if that would be a good move or not .. I also tried searching online for DLP v.s. LCD projector comparisons, and every site just explains them as two different technologies, both equally good in different ways.. No site claims that one is better than the other generally .. So then how am I supposed to decide which one to get ?
post #8 of 42 Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

^ You have to think about what your priorities are, is 3d a priority, is sharpness or black levels etc.

Cinemas use 3 chip dlps btw, home theater dlp's in your price range are one chip.

At 120" the JVC will be bright enough for 2d but not for 3d. The Benq will be bright enough for both 2d and 3d. The benq will be sharper then the JVC and other lcos and lcd projectors. Then JVC will have better black levels then the Benq. Sony apparently make some good all rounder projectors that may be worth looking into. Though I am inclined to suggest a two projector setup will yield the best results.

Also don't fall for the trap that just because you use 2d more then 3d that it should be your priority. For example my priority was 3d though most content I view is 2d. None the less I still prioritized 3d as I was happy to live with worse black levels to get a sharper, brighter image and a projector that was notably better in 3d. Essentially I sacrificed 2d performance for 3d performance despite watching more 2d as that is what I personally felt was best for me. Only you can answer what you fell will be best for you though in this regard.
post #9 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm ... Thing is, sacrificing the performance of 90% over the performance of 10% doesn't really justify in my opinion ...

If I were to get a two projector setup, one for 2D and one for 3D, which projectors would I get now to maximize both 2D and 3D, while remaining within a max of say, $3500 ? (This budget is flexible a little bit, but I really would like to avoid going beyond $3500 if possible) ..

Also, I would prefer buying new projectors rather than used/refurbished ones ..
post #10 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post

Hmm ... Thing is, sacrificing the performance of 90% over the performance of 10% doesn't really justify in my opinion ...

If I were to get a two projector setup, one for 2D and one for 3D, which projectors would I get now to maximize both 2D and 3D, while remaining within a max of say, $3500 ? (This budget is flexible a little bit, but I really would like to avoid going beyond $3500 if possible) ..

I have personally just gotten a sony hw50, and I have yet to see 3d on it though (had for a few weeks) and for just the 2d image alone this was well worth it.
In my opinion everything that needs to be taken care of to make 3d ok doesn't necessarily mean 2d suffers, in fact I would say it's the opposite.

I.e the added brightness give 2d more pop if you want, the contrast that glasses almost halves comes into full effect..

From what I have demoed, its probably so much better in 2d that even the few 3d movies I own will be watched in the 2d version but thats me, I honestly haven't liked '3d' much at all so far so I'm probably not the right guy to comment.

Anyhoo what I think I'm trying to say is that a 3d projector should be more than capable to do 2d satisfactorily.

I do intend to test 3d on my hw50, but I probably need a new 30' HDMI cable and I have yet to get the included glasses (I bought it used).
post #11 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 04:01 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:

JVC RS-46 and BenQ W1070. Or get the Optoma 131xe instead of the BQ. Just a suggestion....

post #12 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

JVC RS-46 and BenQ W1070. Or get the Optoma 131xe instead of the BQ. Just a suggestion....

Yep, call avs and get a rs45 or 46. Then get a Benq or Optoma for under $900. It would definitely be under $3000
post #13 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well as it is your setup your opinion is of course the one that matters. smile.gif

If you want to buy new, the two projector setup will simply not work for you as you will go over that $3500 budget buying the jvc and another 3d projector (just under $3800 most likely). I can't say beyond what I've read regarding the Sony VPL-HW50ES but it does seem to be the best all rounder for both 2d and 3d, but that again it would be going over your budget (around $4000).

I think what you shall need to do is go and see some of these projectors for yourself (I would recommend that anyway) and take your time deciding. Also whilst I don't like epson they make some projectors worth considering especially as in America their customer service is spectacular (sadly that isn't or at least wasn't the case where I live).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post

I have personally just gotten a sony hw50, and I have yet to see 3d on it though (had for a few weeks) and for just the 2d image alone this was well worth it.
In my opinion everything that needs to be taken care of to make 3d ok doesn't necessarily mean 2d suffers, in fact I would say it's the opposite.

I.e the added brightness give 2d more pop if you want, the contrast that glasses almost halves comes into full effect..

From what I have demoed, its probably so much better in 2d that even the few 3d movies I own will be watched in the 2d version but thats me, I honestly haven't liked '3d' much at all so far so I'm probably not the right guy to comment.

Anyhoo what I think I'm trying to say is that a 3d projector should be more than capable to do 2d satisfactorily.

I do intend to test 3d on my hw50, but I probably need a new 30' HDMI cable and I have yet to get the included glasses (I bought it used).

A few areas I disagree on, a great 3d projector to me needs to be to bright in 2d for a truly great 3d image. Of course it isn't to bright if you have an iris you can clamp in 2d (essentially taming the brightness for 2d). More to the point, having a great image in 3d but with crosstalk means little as the crosstalk will take away significantly from the experience. Also flicker in glasses can be a major source of eye strain and is yet another area that I haven't seen a non dlp be without issues. But generally yes, if the projector has a better contrast etc, that will of course be beneficial in both 2d and 3d. It's just that 3d adds several more possible issues and most do seem willing to sacrifice black levels and contrast for the benefits of a crosstalk free image for 3d viewing. Hence why we have people suggesting two projector setups.
post #14 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Yep, call avs and get a rs45 or 46. Then get a Benq or Optoma for under $900. It would definitely be under $3000
Or perhaps a Mitsubishi hc5 for $1700ish plus the benq/optoma
post #15 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:

Or at least under $3500 if he buys new, non B-stock

post #16 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Alright guys, I've done a fair bit of review reading over the last couple of hours to try and finalize on something ..

Granted that RS45 has probably the best black levels out there currently, but based on the reviews I've read, the Epson 5020/5030 seems to match those levels, along with the Sony HW50 .. And regarding 3D, again from the reviews I've read, the Benq projectors' 3D is supposedly 'just as good' as that from Epson and Panasonic ..

So, isn't the Epson 5030 = JVC RS45 + Benq 1070 (or 1500/1700) .. ?

Basically, from what I've read, its seems the Epson 5030 seems to be giving the best of both 2D and 3D ..

If the above is not true, then tell me what projector currently available, offers the BEST 3D so far (ignoring 2D performance), within a budget of $3500 .. And then also tell me the BEST currently available projector for 2D viewing (ignoring 3D performance - heck, I don't even care if its 2D only), within a $3500 budget .. I'll then see how these projectors match up with the rest ..

Additionally, I've read that Benq projectors don't offer that good blacks, when compared with Epson 5030, Sony HW50, Panny AE8000, JVC RS45, etc ..
post #17 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

That's true, the Epson is the best all around under $2500. You can get a Epson 5020 for around $2200. But for the best 2D, it would be a rs45 or rs46. Then, a inexpensive dlp for 3D will give you bright, ghost free 3D. I prefer the best 2D and 3D and some prefer the best all around. Plus, 2 projectors give you more bulb life
post #18 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, isn't the Epson 5030 = JVC RS45 + Benq 1070 (or 1500/1700) .. ?

No, it isn't as good in 3d as then benq or as good as the jvc in 2d. It however is a good all rounder.
post #19 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's true, the Epson is the best all around under $2500. You can get a Epson 5020 for around $2200. But for the best 2D, it would be a rs45 or rs46. Then, a inexpensive dlp for 3D will give you bright, ghost free 3D. I prefer the best 2D and 3D and some prefer the best all around. Plus, 2 projectors give you more bulb life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

No, it isn't as good in 3d as then benq or as good as the jvc in 2d. It however is a good all rounder.

Alright, so in that case, you guys (and everyone else - every opinion matters) need to answer my question (you probably have already, but still just to confirm) ..

Fill in the blanks smile.gif ...

BEST Projector currently available for 2D (completely ignoring 3D performance - doesn't even have to have 3D), under ~$3000: _______write your choice here_______
BEST Projector currently available for 3D (completely ignoring 2D performance), under ~$3000: _______write your choice here_______

If I have to pick 2 projectors (one for 2D ONLY, and one for 3D ONLY), I need to know which are individually the best ones so far ....
post #20 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Alright, so in that case, you guys (and everyone else - every opinion matters) need to answer my question (you probably have already, but still just to confirm) ..

Fill in the blanks smile.gif ...

BEST Projector currently available for 2D (completely ignoring 3D performance - doesn't even have to have 3D), under ~$3000: _______write your choice here_______
BEST Projector currently available for 3D (completely ignoring 2D performance), under ~$3000: _______write your choice here_______

If I have to pick 2 projectors (one for 2D ONLY, and one for 3D ONLY), I need to know which are individually the best ones so far ....

Okay assuming not second hand:

BEST Projector currently available for 2D (completely ignoring 3D performance - doesn't even have to have 3D), under ~$3000: JVC DLA-RS45
BEST Projector currently available for 3D (completely ignoring 2D performance), under ~$3000: Benq w7000, thought benq 1070 is very similar and a lot cheaper if you don't nead the extra features of the w7000.

Once again though this will cost you around $4700 with the w7000 and around $3800 with the 1070. Once you see a benq do 3d you will note it's blacks aren't as good as its competition but it is so much better in the other areas you will not care. Also remember this is all to my eyes, you may disagree which is why you should try and see them for yourself. smile.gif
post #21 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I owned the Benq W7000 and 1070. The difference is the Benq W7000 has more lens shift and FI in 3D. If those two things are not important, then the W1070 is the better buy. However, the W1070 uses 144Hz in 3D, so FI really is not needed. The Optoma HD131XE uses RF glasses instead of DLP like the Benqs. RF glasses supposedly give a better image than DLP Link, but I haven't done any test to provide this. Other members have, so most likely its true. The Optoma is about $750, the Benq W7000 is about $1500, and the Benq W1070 is around $850. All three are bright also.

With 2D, the JVC is the best for movies. I used my JVC for movies and HDTV shows only and my Benq for 3D, sports, and gaming.
post #22 of 42 Old 11-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I owned the Benq W7000 and 1070. The difference is the Benq W7000 has more lens shift and FI in 3D. If those two things are not important, then the W1070 is the better buy. However, the W1070 uses 144Hz in 3D, so FI really is not needed. The Optoma HD131XE uses RF glasses instead of DLP like the Benqs. RF glasses supposedly give a better image than DLP Link, but I haven't done any test to provide this. Other members have, so most likely its true. The Optoma is about $750, the Benq W7000 is about $1500, and the Benq W1070 is around $850. All three are bright also.

With 2D, the JVC is the best for movies. I used my JVC for movies and HDTV shows only and my Benq for 3D, sports, and gaming.

Agreed, though regarding the 7000 I would be waiting to see what the w7500 is like as it is using dark chip 3 so black levels should be improved and it runs at 144hz. Looks like a promising iteration worth waiting for.

I would almost recommend getting the jvc now which you can use for 3d for the meantime and then buy a second projector a little later once the w7500 is out so one can better decide if it is worth it or not.

edit: another good all round projector worth considering is the Sharp XV-Z30000, especially if you are going to go with a HP retro reflective screen and if your setup can accommodate such a setup.
post #23 of 42 Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 AM

Liked: 10

OK, you are right,The Optoma HD131XE uses RF glasses instead of DLP like the Benqs. RF glasses supposedly give a better image than DLP Link, but I haven't done any test to provide this. Other members have, so most likely its true. The Optoma is about $750, the Benq W7000 is about $1500, and the Benq W1070 is around $850. All three are bright also.thanks for your sharing

qhWv

post #24 of 42 Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

What is a DLP link ? Is this necessarily worse than IR (which I currently use with my Sony LED) or RF 3D glasses ?

Also, how does the Panasonic AE8000 and Sony HW50 compare with Benq 1070, as far as ONLY 3D performance is concerned ? ... I've heard some pretty good stuff about the 3D available in Panasonic AE8000 ....

Also, if I had to buy ONLY one projector, which maximizes the 3D AND 2D performance, which projector would that be ? Sony HW50, Epson 5030, Panasonic AE8000, or maybe a Benq model ?

I'm just trying to assess all my options right now ..

Would also appreciate if more people chimed in, rather than just one or two people coming back to answer smile.gif
post #25 of 42 Old 11-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is a DLP link ? Is this necessarily worse than IR (which I currently use with my Sony LED) or RF 3D glasses ?

Also, how does the Panasonic AE8000 and Sony HW50 compare with Benq 1070, as far as ONLY 3D performance is concerned ? ... I've heard some pretty good stuff about the 3D available in Panasonic AE8000 ....

Also, if I had to buy ONLY one projector, which maximizes the 3D AND 2D performance, which projector would that be ? Sony HW50, Epson 5030, Panasonic AE8000, or maybe a Benq model ?

Would also appreciate if more people chimed in, rather than just one or two people coming back to answer smile.gif

Well i'm one of the two returning hopefully others will help you out. As I have not seen the sony I can't comment, the Panasonic for 3d alone is destroyed by every single 3d dlp I have seen. It does an okay job with 3d on smaller screens but it does not leave me satisfied in 3d. The sony is apparently closer but still won't match a dlp.

The only one projector is really hard to answer, most seem to say the Sony but if you are willing to sacrifice black levels for sharpness then a dlp like the benq may become a better option. If you are able to wait it out a little longer you could see how the w7500 is as its black levels should be improved giving the chip they are using, as sharp of an image as you are going to get and extremely bright. This is what I would do, to be clear though all of these projectors are going to most peoples jaws hit the flaw.

More details on the Panasonic: I really like this projector at it's price point due to an amazing feature set. However giving the budget you are talking about there are better options for 2d and 3d, so I wouldn't even consider the Panasonic unless you where going scope (in which case I would still recommend the jvc).

edit: DLP link is essentially just another way of syncing the glasses and projector for 3d. To do so there will be a red tint to the 3d which is then filtered out by the glasses, it does however as a result reduce contrast. Really this isn't something I would be to concerned about.
post #26 of 42 Old 11-15-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

How does the 3D performance of Optoma HD131XE compare with that of Benq models ? I've seen other people on other forums complain about DLP Link, so I would like to avoid that if I can ..

Also, where can I buy an RS45 from ? It seems its presence no longer exists on the internet smile.gif .. I have seen Europe and Canada based online retailers offering it, but nothing state side ..

Also, unfortunately due to other factors outside my control, I have to purchase the projector by the end of this month .. So I can't wait for the benq 7500 sadly :/ .. When is it out due though, roughly speaking ?
post #27 of 42 Old 11-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Can't speak to DLP link from experience - but there's plenty of info on it out there.

As far as one PJ for all - either the Sony HW50 or the Epson 5030.

post #28 of 42 Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

How does the 3D performance of Optoma HD131XE compare with that of Benq models ?

Also, where can I buy an RS45 or RS46 from, other than Mike (whom I'm currently in contact with) ? Amazon does have a few 3rd party sellers offering RS46, but I don't trust Amazon 3rd party sellers (multiple bad prior experiences) ..
post #29 of 42 Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 AM

I haven't seen a better price than AVS on the RS-46.

post #30 of 42 Old 11-16-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

I haven't seen a better price than AVS on the RS-46.

Yep the price seems good .. I was just wondering why there are not so many retailers selling this projector, as compared to other projectors ... I mean if the 2D image quality is so rock solid, then it should be an easy buy for most people, no ? Instead, its availability is so rare in the US .. I haven't seen even one proper online US based retailer selling it, compared to Epson 5030 (for example), which is sold so commonly everywhere ...

Still waiting to hear from someone on how does the 3D performance of Optoma HD131XE compare with that of Benq models ?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page