The sound level of the AE8000U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

We got our AE8000U last week. Projecting onto a DNP SuperNova Core-II, 110" diagonal, 16:9, .8 gain screen. The projector is shelf mounted 17' from the screen and we sit 10' from the screen. The projector is about 6' off the ground. This puts the projector about 7 to 8' away from our ears. Mostly watch in a dark room so we use Cinema-1.

Picture is great (depending on the Blu-ray rendering). The movie Oblivion is stunning.

Our concern is that the sound of the fan is too loud. In quite scenes of the movie we can hear a high pitch sound and a slight mechanical rhythmic sound. A friend said that is sounded like an old film projector; that is a pretty good description if you remember that sound.  Of course as we increase the light output in the different modes the fan sound increases even more.

Does this sound normal to the rest of the group? We had an old Sanyo Z4 before this and it was much quieter.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Is your bulb on economic or full power? I find it to be a very quiet projector though some have talked about the noise it producing being high pitched.

May I ask why your using a grey screen, or is it because you already had it?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I haven't looked into changing the bulb power. I thought that it changed its power setting automatically with the viewing modes. The brightness and fan power change with the different modes. Is there another setting that I should look for? We really haven't dug into the details of this yet.

The screen was recommended by the folks at Projector Superstore. Part of the reason for this screen is that it works well with some ambient light, and our room doesn't get very dark in the summer. It does a great job of not reflecting light when we are watching in the dark. Shadow bars, top and bottom, when watching a 2.4:1 are not very noticeable at all. It also does a great job of displaying the image when the lights are on; now we don't have to eat in the dark when watching a show.  We are happy with it.

Not that it matters at this point, but would you have suggested a different screen option?

Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

^ Yes I most certainly wouldn't have gone with such a screen but I favor brightness over most other areas. But to really say I would need more information, it however does sound like it is doing its job and that you are happy and that is what is most important.

Try setting the bulb mode to economic, it is hiding I believe in the bottom option of the menu screen. This will reduce the sound considerably. You may also want to turn of FI though some do like it and this projector seems to have one of the better versions of it (personally I sill can't stand any FI).
Old 11-15-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

^ Yes I most certainly wouldn't have gone with such a screen but I favor brightness over most other areas. But to really say I would need more information, it however does sound like it is doing its job and that you are happy and that is what is most important.

Try setting the bulb mode to economic, it is hiding I believe in the bottom option of the menu screen. This will reduce the sound considerably. You may also want to turn of FI though some do like it and this projector seems to have one of the better versions of it (personally I sill can't stand any FI).

At his size, gain and throw distance, he may not be able to use low lamp.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

At his size, gain and throw distance, he may not be able to use low lamp.

Agreed, it is worth a look though.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
And make sure you are using Normal mode, not High Altitude mode.

Mike

P.S. Mine is almost completely silent. It's almost directly overhead and I have to strain to hear it even when everything else is off.

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread