What's the most appropriate Projector & Screen size configuration .. ? (Final round!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all .. So yeah, I have created two previous threads, but its so confusing, I'm creating a third one, since I've also found some issues with projector screen size limitations .. Hopefully this will be my last thread on this topic biggrin.gif

Room Specs:

So I have two possible projector throw distances: ~21 ft and ~16 ft .. Given the specification of my room, the 16ft option is easier to implement, but a 21ft option can also be done if needed ... Screen ratio is finalized: 16:9 .. So a throw from 16 ft will result in about a 120" diagonal screen maybe, and a throw from 21ft will result in a 145" screen maybe ..

Given some external factors, I will only go for either a 120" screen, or a 145" screen .. nothing in between ..

Viewing distance is anywhere between 16ft and 21ft, but I'm a little unsure if a 120" screen will look small or not from 21ft away .. On the other hand, a 145" screen might look *too* big from just 16ft away ..

Room is almost completely light controlled ..

Rough floor plan of my HT room:

V9x6L.jpg

The dilemma:

The dilemma is between which projector(s) to get, given the options below ..

Originally, I started my search with Epson 5030, but since I wanted great picture quality in both 2D and 3D, a lot of people suggested (and rightly so, I think) that I should go for a 2 projector setup: One for 2D, one for 3D: a JVC RS-46 for 2D, and a second one for 3D (undecided yet) ..

Read reviews on the RS-46, and I decided to go for this 2 projector setup, as the JVC was considered the benchmark for 2D, and idea I loved ..

For the 3D projector, I originally wanted a budget Benq or Optoma, but people said largely that it has washed out colors and crappy contrast .. I was instead suggested Sharp XV-30000, or Optoma HD8300, for the 3D projector ..

The problem is that according to this link, the RS-45/46 doesn't really support a screen bigger than 130", meaning I am limited to a 120" screen if I go for this projector .. Also, I would need a 1.1 or 1.2 Gain screen for this JVC RS-46, even when it's projecting at a 120" screen ..

This creates a problem if I were to get a budget second projector for its 3D, since they all have higher brightness, and they won't work well with a 1.1 or 1.2 gain screen (according to calculators on projectcentral.com) ..

However, the Optoma HD8300 and Sharp XV-30000 are both OK with a 1.1 gain screen (especially the Sharp XV-30000) ..

Lastly, another option is to compromise on possibly both 2D and 3D a little, and get something like Epson 5030 or Sony HW50, both of which have a 'decent' result in both 2D and 3D .. They can both be used with a 120" or 145" screen ...

I CAN afford (barely!) to buy two ~$3000 projectors, but this would indeed burn a **huge** hole in my wallet, something which I didn't plan for when I started my search about a week ago ... frown.gif

Options:

So which option below is most recommended ?:

1) JVC RS-46 + Sharp XV-3000, both sharing a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$6000
2) JVC RS-46 + Optoma HD8300, both sharing a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$6200
3) JVC RS-46 + Optoma HD131Xe, both sharing a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$3700
4) Epson 5030, using a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$2600
5) Sony HW50ES, using a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$4000

Took me an hour to type this up rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The cheap dlp projectors you mentioned for 3D will work fine with a 1.1 or 1.2 gain screen at your sizes, they will absolutely not be too bright (most people don't believe there is such a thing as too bright in the world of 3D projectors). Remember that projectors give you much lower brightness in 3D mode than in 2D mode due to the darkened glasses and the mechanics of flickering on and off. Option 3 is probably the sweet spot for your setup, put any extra money you have into: 1) room treatments (to minimize light reflecting back on the screen); 2) a high quality screen; and 3) a good video processor (I use the Lumagen).
post #3 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I would go with option # 6

#6) Buy the Sharp xvz-30000 now and you can always add a JVC later. With the Sharp, I seriously doubt you will feel the need to get a JVC right away, you will enjoy the Sharp by itself just fine. Only if you really obsess and want a new experience, buy a JVC in a year. Buying 2 projectors at once is a little extreme for someone just starting out.

DLP has good PQ and the Sharp has acceptable blacks and a better 2D image than most DLP's, I think you are going way overkill with this. If I owned the Sharp, I might not even use my RS-45 anymore smile.gif

I have a w7000 which has a cheesy IRIS and fairly poor on/off, so the JVC makes a huge difference, and don't get me wrong the JVC will beat the Sharp in blacks, but I'd not get a JVC right now. The newer JVC models are coming out with IRIS's and stuff, so wait until never year as JVC may introduce one of the entry models with an IRIS. FYI, in some scenes the Sharp will beat a JVC even in 2D, it's only in black levels where the JVC will win. The Sharp will also more than likely look better on TV content (as DLP almost always does).

JVC is for the obsessive that want the darkest of the dark blacks, I'm actually over my "gotta have darkest blacks phase". I still want dark blacks, but they don't interest me as much at this very moment, maybe next year I'll be interested again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #4 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I would go with option # 6

#6) Buy the Sharp xvz-30000 now and you can always add a JVC later. With the Sharp, I seriously doubt you will feel the need to get a JVC right away, you will enjoy the Sharp by itself just fine. Only if you really obsess and want a new experience, by a JVC in a year. Buying 2 projectors at once is a little extreme for someone just starting out.

DLP has good PQ and the Sharp has acceptable blacks and a better 2D image than most DLP's, I think you are going way overkill with this. If I owned the Sharp, I might not even use my RS-45 anymore smile.gif
I have a w7000 which has a cheesy IRIS and fairly poor on/off, so the JVC makes a huge difference, and don't get me wrong the JVC will beat the Sharp in blacks, but I'd not get a JVC right now. The newer JVC models are coming out with IRIS's and stuff, so wait until never year as JVC may introduce one of the entry models with an IRIS.

QFT. You may find the Sharp XV-Z30000 to be the only projector you want. Buy that one first and decide if you really want something different. Overall the Sharp is a fantastic product.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
And ditch the 1.1 gain screen for an HP if you want bright 3D, otherwise it'll be ok I Suppose, a little dark for 3D with some of these PJ's.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #6 of 7 Old 11-19-2013, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guys, the problem is that I'm currently located in Asia, and firstly I don't have any showrooms around me which have either the Sharp or JVC or Optoma or Benq models on display ... So I'm strictly dependent on the community's reviews/thoughts here rolleyes.gif ... And secondly, the thing is that I'm actually importing all this home theater stuff from the US, through a friend .. This allows me to get everything *much* cheaper than having to buy it locally .. And because of this, I may not get a chance to import anything further after this round, for some time maybe .. Depends if I can find someone to import for me in a year or so or not .. So I have to assume that whatever I order now, is what will make me happy, while having the best 2D (since 90% of all media out there is 2D), while also have a decently good 3D, and while remaining within a ~$4500 budget (for projectors only) ..

I guess, after thinking about it a lot, I think my priority for 2D is slightly/somewhat higher than that for 3D .. I absolutely don't want to compromise on the 2D quality at all, which is why I'm still valuing the JVC here, as JVC seems to be the benchmark as far as 2D quality is concerned (let me know your thoughts on this) ... As far as a second projector for 3D is concerned, I'm thinking that for right now, I can probably go for a budget Optoma projector ... Yes, its 3D might not be the best out there currently, but based on the community's feedback, I feel it might be 'good enough' for now .. I can always upgrade to a better projector for 3D, once it improves more in its tech, and once I save up a little more ..

Getting only a Sharp projector now is also a good choice, and that's probably what I would've done if I was in the US, since I could buy an RS-46 whenever I wanted .. But because I'm importing this isn't a practical option for me, because I'm not sure when I'll be able to import next (most probably it won't be much of a problem, but still cannot know for sure) ..

Besides, since these will be my first projectors, who knows, I may even grow to like the 3D of a budget 3D projector, like many others on the community smile.gif

So for now, can I be completely assured that a 1.1 or 1.2 gain screen will work well with an Optoma budget projector as well ? I have to use a 1.1 gain screen at least, because of the JVC RS-46 which will be projecting a 120" 16:9 image from about 17" away from the screen, in a 90% light controlled room ..

Is there an option to turn down the brightness/lumens in budget Optoma projectors, if it turns out to be too bright on a 1.1 gain or 1.2 gain screen ? tongue.gif

EDIT: However, if I can find a deal for the Sharp XV-30000 or Optoma HD8300, for less than say $1800 or so, I can probably get that as a second projector for 3D instead of a budget one ..
post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2013, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post

Guys, the problem is that I'm currently located in Asia, and firstly I don't have any showrooms around me which have either the Sharp or JVC or Optoma or Benq models on display ... So I'm strictly dependent on the community's reviews/thoughts here rolleyes.gif ... And secondly, the thing is that I'm actually importing all this home theater stuff from the US, through a friend .. This allows me to get everything *much* cheaper than having to buy it locally .. And because of this, I may not get a chance to import anything further after this round, for some time maybe .. Depends if I can find someone to import for me in a year or so or not .. So I have to assume that whatever I order now, is what will make me happy, while having the best 2D (since 90% of all media out there is 2D), while also have a decently good 3D, and while remaining within a ~$4500 budget (for projectors only) ..

I guess, after thinking about it a lot, I think my priority for 2D is slightly/somewhat higher than that for 3D .. I absolutely don't want to compromise on the 2D quality at all, which is why I'm still valuing the JVC here, as JVC seems to be the benchmark as far as 2D quality is concerned (let me know your thoughts on this) ... As far as a second projector for 3D is concerned, I'm thinking that for right now, I can probably go for a budget Optoma projector ... Yes, its 3D might not be the best out there currently, but based on the community's feedback, I feel it might be 'good enough' for now .. I can always upgrade to a better projector for 3D, once it improves more in its tech, and once I save up a little more ..

Getting only a Sharp projector now is also a good choice, and that's probably what I would've done if I was in the US, since I could buy an RS-46 whenever I wanted .. But because I'm importing this isn't a practical option for me, because I'm not sure when I'll be able to import next (most probably it won't be much of a problem, but still cannot know for sure) ..

Besides, since these will be my first projectors, who knows, I may even grow to like the 3D of a budget 3D projector, like many others on the community smile.gif

So for now, can I be completely assured that a 1.1 or 1.2 gain screen will work well with an Optoma budget projector as well ? I have to use a 1.1 gain screen at least, because of the JVC RS-46 which will be projecting a 120" 16:9 image from about 17" away from the screen, in a 90% light controlled room ..

Is there an option to turn down the brightness/lumens in budget Optoma projectors, if it turns out to be too bright on a 1.1 gain or 1.2 gain screen ? tongue.gif

EDIT: However, if I can find a deal for the Sharp XV-30000 or Optoma HD8300, for less than say $1800 or so, I can probably get that as a second projector for 3D instead of a budget one ..

At 120" for 3d it will not be to bright. Unless you have very dark walls I would just go with The Sharp and a HP screen. But that is just me and I am biased towards dlp. In any case importing really should not be that hard, I have done it in the past and the downsides remain the same whether you have a friend or not. Warranty tends to only be in the country that it is bought in.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Optoma Hd8300 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - Hd8300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page