Panasonic PT-AE8000 or Epson 5030UB or ? ? ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-22-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I need help on this decision. I think I have this figured out, but just need to be 100% sure before I make the purchase based on the following:

1. I will be using the projector for sports, movies (3d) and video games.
2. I will be setting up a 2.40:1 screen.
3. It will require horizontal and vertical lens shift.

Based on this criteria, I think the Panasonic is the one I need. I could be wrong, but I believe the Epson requires an additional anamorphic lens for the 2.4:1 screen and it doesn't have the auto lens memory for changing screen resolution. Assuming this is correct, I'll bet getting the Panny. If I'm wrong of any of this, please let me know. Or if there's some projector better than the Panasonic based on my criteria, I'd love to hear it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Liked: 11
I am debating the same too, with the same screen setup. I was really disappointed Panasonic didn't upgrade the 8000 this year. The Epson does NOT require an anamorphic lens, but does require you to manually adjust your zoom and offset to fill the 2.4 screen. The Panasonic can remember the appropriate settings and automatically zoom and shift into the right place. That's a VERY enticing feature for me. However, it seems the only advantage along with price. I've decided the number of times I sit down to watch a cinemascope movie is an "event" enough that I am willing to fiddle with the zoom. I'll do it while the popcorn is popping. Here are the primary features that made me decide Epson in no particular order:

1. No user addressable convergence on the Panasonic. It just seems to me one good bump during shipping and the 3 panels could come out of alignment. The Panasonic would have to be sent in for service whereas the Epson can be user adjusted.
2. Panasonic uses older IR tech for 3D glasses, whereas Epson uses RF and my existing glasses for my plasma are compatible.
3. The bulb life is outstanding and I plan to use it as my primary TV
4. I will mostly be watching 16:9 content (sports, Cable TV) with my 2.4:1 masked.
5. Good reputation for service and warranty from Epson.

You were probably just hoping for some affirmation. Sorry to provide doubt. Either way it's just a stop gap until everything is 4k, right!? Good luck!

MM
post #3 of 12 Old 11-25-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I'm not sure how accurate this info is but according to a panasonic rep I spoke to this morning, the $300 cash back, free glasses and extended warranty promotion is now finished (ended yesterday) and will not be extended.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-26-2013, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmason View Post

I am debating the same too, with the same screen setup. I was really disappointed Panasonic didn't upgrade the 8000 this year. The Epson does NOT require an anamorphic lens, but does require you to manually adjust your zoom and offset to fill the 2.4 screen. The Panasonic can remember the appropriate settings and automatically zoom and shift into the right place. That's a VERY enticing feature for me. However, it seems the only advantage along with price. I've decided the number of times I sit down to watch a cinemascope movie is an "event" enough that I am willing to fiddle with the zoom. I'll do it while the popcorn is popping. Here are the primary features that made me decide Epson in no particular order:

1. No user addressable convergence on the Panasonic. It just seems to me one good bump during shipping and the 3 panels could come out of alignment. The Panasonic would have to be sent in for service whereas the Epson can be user adjusted.
2. Panasonic uses older IR tech for 3D glasses, whereas Epson uses RF and my existing glasses for my plasma are compatible.
3. The bulb life is outstanding and I plan to use it as my primary TV
4. I will mostly be watching 16:9 content (sports, Cable TV) with my 2.4:1 masked.
5. Good reputation for service and warranty from Epson.

You were probably just hoping for some affirmation. Sorry to provide doubt. Either way it's just a stop gap until everything is 4k, right!? Good luck!

MM

lol, at least you're honest. However, because I will be gaming a lot on this I decided I'm 95% sure I'm getting the Panasonic. That is, unless some other deal pops up by the end of this week that is too good to turn down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I'm not sure how accurate this info is but according to a panasonic rep I spoke to this morning, the $300 cash back, free glasses and extended warranty promotion is now finished (ended yesterday) and will not be extended.
I believe you are correct from what I saw on the form. I'm a bit bummed out about that...that's what I get for waiting.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Ix
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I don't know why the 5030ub would be "worse" for gaming than the 8000, just make sure FI is off and turn on Fast processing, the 5030ub will do 37ms to the 8000's 22ms, a difference I doubt you will notice.

That said for a scope screen the 8000 is the better choice.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 AM

I vaguely recall signing up to receive an email about the Black Friday special on the 8000 from Panasonic. They likely have a new discount/promotion on the way.
apw2607 likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-26-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmason View Post

I vaguely recall signing up to receive an email about the Black Friday special on the 8000 from Panasonic. They likely have a new discount/promotion on the way.

Yes, here it is folks http://www.panasonic.com/business/projectors/special-holiday-offers.asp
post #8 of 12 Old 11-26-2013, 10:29 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yes, here it is folks http://www.panasonic.com/business/projectors/special-holiday-offers.asp

That link didn't work for me. I got a page on the Panny site saying " Hmm, the page you're looking for can't be found."

On second (or fourth try) it works. For some reason the link redirected me to shop.panny.com/blabla. But when I corrected the url to what you posted, it sent me to offers.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

That link didn't work for me. I got a page on the Panny site saying " Hmm, the page you're looking for can't be found."

On second (or fourth try) it works. For some reason the link redirected me to shop.panny.com/blabla. But when I corrected the url to what you posted, it sent me to offers.

Yes, your right - you have to select business, then projectors and should see the holiday offer on the right hand side !

Lets hope its a good offer ..... !
post #10 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 09:20 AM

BHPhoto.com just sent Black Friday deals that included the Panny 8000. $550 rebate from Panasonic in addition to normally discounted price.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

^ yes! aggressive pricing. Make sure you wait until Friday though, as the rebate is only valid from Friday !
post #12 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 04:01 AM

Liked: 10

yes! aggressive pricing. Make sure you wait until Friday though, as the rebate is only valid from Friday !

tt

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page