Bang for buck - better to get used, older, higher-end JVC projector or newer low-end? - AVS Forum
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Bang for buck - better to get used, older, higher-end JVC projector or newer low-end?
op13's Avatar op13 02:10 AM 11-30-2013

Hi all,

 

I'm new here, and just getting started on the hunt for a projector. This will be my first big screen (currently have a Sony 34XBR960 TV that I have not been able to give up yet).

 

Budget is limited, but not hard-capped. I'd like to keep things below $3k. So far, I've just started reading and am leaning towards JVC (but please convince me otherwise if I shouldn't be). The projector will be going in a smallish room - at the moment I will be projecting from 12', but in the future could be further, up to 20'. Light control in the space is very good. I use this mainly for watching movies on blu-ray. 3D is not a big priority for me.

 

What I am wondering is: would I be better off getting a new x35 for around $3k, or getting a used older-model projector (for example, I have come across an HD750 for $2k, or an HD950 for about the same). Disregarding 3D capabilities, will an x35 perform better than those older ones? Is there a particular past model that stands out that I should look for, or any that should be avoided? I'm not really clear on how picture quality has improved over, say, the last 5 years.

 

Any advice would be much appreciated - I'm very much a novice regarding projectors.

 

Thanks!



Aaronh's Avatar Aaronh 05:35 AM 11-30-2013
Welcome.

Seems like for JVC - the most recent models are better from a bulb reliability standpoint. The HD-750 (RS-20) is 4-5 year old tech. I wouldn't buy it for 70% of a brand new model. 35%? Probably, if that was my budget.

Only speaking from what I read here - never had a JVC - they don't suit my viewing habits. But I'd say the same for Sony or Epson. I wouldn't take their 4 year old offerings at that % of the cost of a current, new model. - the PJ market has really progressed in that time. If you can buy new - buy new. Or grab a JVC from last year that is being replaced simply because the new models are out. There are people who do it "just because". Commonly called "upgrade-itis."
Audiojan's Avatar Audiojan 06:00 AM 11-30-2013
I was in your situation a month ago. You can get something like an RS4810 with low hours for that kind of money. A step up from X35. If you can , get a PJ with E-Shift2, it does work extremely well. Give AVS a call and see what you can get for $3k new. You might get a B-stock, closeout or a pre-buy that gets you much more than you thought you could..
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 09:28 AM 11-30-2013
I also went through this recently, to cut to the chase I opted for a new x35 and I'm very happy with it.

the difference in price wasn't as drastic as I felt it should be for buying a used, last years model(I think I found a x30 for 2200 or something like that). even though 3d isn't a priority, the current line made a 'leap' forward on this compared to previous models. I do find the 3d on the x35 to be superb, and would certainly use it if I liked 3d at all. the bulb change was the other big thing. buying used pretty much only amounted to saving the cost of one bulb, and there was a higher than normal chance that I would have to replace the bulb early.

honestly, I think question is more about whether or not you can find a 4810 b-stock/refurb for close enough to the x35 to justify the extra cost and step up to an eshift model.

it really helps to get some actual quotes. I didn't realize how competitively priced some of the new projectors really were. I didn't think I could actually even afford the x35 at first, but it turned out to be basically the same price as my 'budget back up' Epson 5020. it appeared to be about 1000 to step up to a b-stock 4810 when I was shopping. they may have come down in price due to the new models being announced, I would certainly consider 500 extra for the eshift to be worth considering.

the only hesitation I would have with the jvc at the moment is your 12' throw. you can still get a reasonable large screen(around 116" I think) but only when fully zoomed in. it works, it's just not the way I'd like to do it. one of my favourite features with the jvc is the lens memory. using the min throw for 16:9 wouldn't allow you to zoom in for CIH scope movies on a 2.35:1 screen. I mean, I have no idea if that even interests you, and it's not like you'd get the feature with any short throw projectors anyway, it's just unfortunate you don't have a little more room(or you could go with a smaller screen if you're sitting really close)
op13's Avatar op13 01:31 PM 11-30-2013

Thanks for the quick replies all!  Was not expecting that.

 

Looking some more, looks like x55s might indeed be available used for around $3k. I will also talk to some dealers and see what they can do.

 

If buying used, how do I make sure I am getting a good specimen? It seems that some people have had issues with focus uniformity and/or bright corners with JVCs. Is there a test disc that can be played that will display patterns that would highlight these issues as a check when looking at a used unit? I am a little worried that if buying used, I might miss issues in the short time that I'd be looking at it before buying. Thoughts?


fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 03:52 PM 11-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by op13 View Post

Thanks for the quick replies all!  Was not expecting that.

Looking some more, looks like x55s might indeed be available used for around $3k. I will also talk to some dealers and see what they can do.

If buying used, how do I make sure I am getting a good specimen? It seems that some people have had issues with focus uniformity and/or bright corners with JVCs. Is there a test disc that can be played that will display patterns that would highlight these issues as a check when looking at a used unit? I am a little worried that if buying used, I might miss issues in the short time that I'd be looking at it before buying. Thoughts?

this was another reason i went new(i consider refurbs and b-stock to also be new in this context) from an authorized dealer. my general rule of thumb is that anything used needs to be min of 50% off current retail prices to be a fair deal. the fact that the projector has 500 hrs of use on the bulb isn't a big deal. the fact that it comes with no warranty, no assurances, and no recourse is. for this reason, i'd personally much rather spend a couple hundred more on a b-stock or refurb from a dealer than buy one off the used market. if you're able to save thousands, and can get ample viewing time before purchasing, then it might be worth it.

there are definitely test patterns you can download and burn onto a dvd to assess screen uniformity(heck you could just 'hide' the screen on the jvcs and look for bright corners or whatever) and focus. i wouldn't treat buying used from somebody(at this price point anyway) any different than buying from a store. go in with some material you are familiar with, and take 30mins to an hour to really assess the projector. obviously, sellers might not want you hanging around for an hour, but if they aren't willing to give you 20mins of screen time, they are either hiding something, or don't deserve the sale.

honestly though. i think if you have any doubts at all, you're better off buying from a dealer. when you buy things used you really need to be intimately familiar with them, and know exactly what to look for(common failures, issues, etc). if not, you'll rolling the dice, and that's not a good thing to do when you're talking thousands of dollars
hardvark's Avatar hardvark 04:19 PM 11-30-2013
Check Mike here on the forum ( avs 5) he may have a deal you could really like ;-)
HTCrazy's Avatar HTCrazy 06:27 PM 11-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardvark View Post

Check Mike here on the forum ( avs 5) he may have a deal you could really like ;-)

I ordered their last B stock JVC 4810 but I need to return it. In fact I haven't even received it yet. Check with Mike - he should have an extra one to sell you. After it's gone he doesn't believe they'll be getting any more.
hardvark's Avatar hardvark 07:02 PM 11-30-2013
The b-stock 4810 would be a great choice and within your budget, ;-) , I've installed more than one and have had some very happy customers !!!
op13's Avatar op13 07:13 PM 11-30-2013
What is it that makes a B- stock that? It's different than refurbished?
Gradius2's Avatar Gradius2 08:46 PM 11-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by op13 View Post

What is it that makes a B- stock that? It's different than refurbished?

B-stock = used one.

Could also be some "cosmetical issues".
MX48's Avatar MX48 01:41 AM 12-01-2013
If you order a B-stock it will have a sticker on it that says "Refurbished".
I am not sure where the confusion is on this but I have had several "b-stock" units and all have had a sticker on them that says "refurbished".

YMMV
Moto
armstrr's Avatar armstrr 06:00 AM 12-01-2013
If you are looking for bang for your buck, the Mitsubishi hc5 is going to be hard to beat right now.
mashsladies's Avatar mashsladies 06:02 AM 12-01-2013

it appeared to be about 1000 to step up to a b-stock 4810 when I was shopping. they may have come down in price due to the new models being announced, I would certainly consider 500 extra for the eshift to be worth considering.

1bHk


StevenC56's Avatar StevenC56 09:36 AM 12-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post

If you are looking for bang for your buck, the Mitsubishi hc5 is going to be hard to beat right now.

I agree.cool.gif The remaining stock probably won't be around much longer however.wink.gif
hardvark's Avatar hardvark 09:59 AM 12-01-2013
The B-stock 4810 should be right around the poster 3000 cap so VERY close to the price of a new 46 and well worth the B-stock status for the eshift upgrade. Same 3years warranty as new also
op13's Avatar op13 10:32 AM 12-06-2013

Ended up ordering the B-stock 4810 from Mike - price was too good to pass up. Now to deal with selecting a screen...


electricmanscott's Avatar electricmanscott 04:29 AM 12-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by op13 View Post

Ended up ordering the B-stock 4810 from Mike - price was too good to pass up. Now to deal with selecting a screen...

Congrats on the projector. what are you thinking for a screen?
op13's Avatar op13 08:42 AM 12-07-2013

I have no idea! At the moment I don't know what is and isn't worth paying for in a screen. Any suggestions for a best bang-for-buck screen would be appreciated. Light control is adequate in the room - no big windows in there.

 

Also, the basement room where this is going for the time being is unfinished. I was thinking of just painting a sheet of MDF for now, and then buying a screen when I get around to finishing the room in a couple of years... but not sure if that will be a couple of years wasted looking at a worse image than necessary. Ultimately, it would be great to have a retractable screen, but I am not a fan of the potential issues of keeping those flat. Was also thinking of rigging up a system where a fixed screen is put on a pivot at the ceiling, so that the whole thing can flip up against the ceiling.


Mrke1's Avatar Mrke1 09:21 AM 12-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by op13 View Post

I have no idea! At the moment I don't know what is and isn't worth paying for in a screen. Any suggestions for a best bang-for-buck screen would be appreciated. Light control is adequate in the room - no big windows in there.

Also, the basement room where this is going for the time being is unfinished. I was thinking of just painting a sheet of MDF for now, and then buying a screen when I get around to finishing the room in a couple of years... but not sure if that will be a couple of years wasted looking at a worse image than necessary. Ultimately, it would be great to have a retractable screen, but I am not a fan of the potential issues of keeping those flat. Was also thinking of rigging up a system where a fixed screen is put on a pivot at the ceiling, so that the whole thing can flip up against the ceiling.

If you're up for it, check out the DIY screen section here on the forums. You'd be surprised what you can get for a little effort and not a lot of cheddar.
Tags: Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector
Up
Mobile  Desktop