post #61 of 76 Old 12-13-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

You could get extra throw distance by turning the pj 90 deg to fire sideways and reflecting it off of a mirror.

I think I have a small 1st-surface mirror somewhere; let me know if you're interested.

Interesting idea. Wouldn't that cause major screen geometry problems? Is there some simple adjustment for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 12-13-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Not at all, it's just a fold mirror like rear projectors use.

You just go into the pj menu and change it from FP to RP to account for the image being flipped sideways.

You will need to take care to position and orient it properly so as not to introduce keystoning.

Easiest way to align things would be to get the image close w/the mirror and fine tune it with the pj.

Noah
post #63 of 76 Old 12-13-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So the projector could be positioned anywhere (not necessarily in front of the screen) and still not cause keystoning if correctly positioned? This would be important since the room is much longer side to side than front to back. The reason we're stuck with that orientation is because of the in-wall speakers - so this might be a good option.
post #64 of 76 Old 12-13-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yes, anywhere, just note that the farther the mirror is from the pj, the bigger the image is at the mirror and the bigger it needs to be.

The mirror can be smaller if the angle of reflection is smaller, i.e. fire the pj more toward the back wall than sideways, the limit being what it takes for the beam not to hit the pj.

Get yourself a piece of cardboard to use as a test mirror and play with pj positions to see.

Noah
post #65 of 76 Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What are the downsides to this (other than having to buy the mirror and keep it clean)?
post #66 of 76 Old 12-14-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Functionally, about 4% light loss is about it

Noah
post #67 of 76 Old 12-15-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll need the mirror. It looks like I can get a 135" screen with the current setup which is probably good enough. Just in case what are you asking for the mirror? And what size is it?
post #68 of 76 Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Zoomed in to the maxI can get 118" wide wich is to the inch a 135" diag screen fully zoomed. I want the biggest screen possible but should I consider dropping down to a 120" to gain PQ by not having 100% zoom?
post #69 of 76 Old 12-17-2013, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have learned in my own case to make the screen choice the last thing in the process. Just use the wall or something temporary and after you decide on exact placement and image size the screen characteristics will be obvious. IMHO.

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP
post #70 of 76 Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy View Post

Zoomed in to the maxI can get 118" wide wich is to the inch a 135" diag screen fully zoomed. I want the biggest screen possible but should I consider dropping down to a 120" to gain PQ by not having 100% zoom?

Unless you're sitting so close that you're seeing pixels or lens flaws, I'd say bigger is better.

How far from the screen is the seating?

Noah
post #71 of 76 Old 12-17-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Seating is probably 15 ft back but could be moved up another 5 feet. The reason I ask is some have stated that you lose a bit of contrast or clarity if you have the lens full zoomed in. Also there's a bit of a light outline that circles the screen maybe 5-10 feet out that disappears when it's zoomed back out a bit (though I never even noticed it until someone pointed it out). The main concern is a possible contrast or sharpness hit. It's hard to tell now since I'm just projecting onto a wall - and deciding between a 135" or 120" screen. Hard to judge subtle differences without a screen.
post #72 of 76 Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nobody else has gotten theirs from Woot? Now that I have the 135" screen, Oppo player with Darbee and settings dialed in but not yet ISF'd - I can say the picture is really enthralling! Sharpness, color, depth like I've never seen before. Black levels for the most part are very satisfying and this just in general throws a very high end picture.

I'm back to the way I was 10 years ago with my first HT projector - Watching 3-4 movies in a seating completely mesmerized. Also can't see how anyone complains about light output. On a white 1.3 gain 135" screen it's very bright (wouldn't want brighter) though this is for a light controlled room in 2d only. But this is a serious high end HT projector for a home theater - not a living room. And of course I love that it will stay this bright for the next decade or so. Even my wife who usually gets bored after 20 minutes or so is sitting for back to back movies.

Meant to write a more in depth review but everything from build quality to picture quality to video processing is for me at least top shelf. Yes it's a giant heavy hulk of a projector, but I even like how imposing it looks. Seeing it in the room when you walk in, it looks like seriously high end equipment. And intimidation factor is key when the guests come over wink.gif.

If you have the chance to pick one up I highly recommend it!
post #73 of 76 Old 12-23-2013, 11:09 PM

Hi HTCrazy. Can you give a short comparison of your Vivitek to any of the current projectors that you seen of late eg Jvc/Sony HW5X/Epson 50XX. Thanks.
post #74 of 76 Old 12-24-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post

Hi HTCrazy. Can you give a short comparison of your Vivitek to any of the current projectors that you seen of late eg Jvc/Sony HW5X/Epson 50XX. Thanks.

Not really a fair comparison. I spent some time at Magnolia watching the JVC 4810 they had set up which threw a very nice picture. Personally I find the Vivitek is more colorful and vibrant but I have no idea how well set up the Magnolia JVC was nor how many hours were on the lamp. I'm guessing quite a few since it was always playing.
post #75 of 76 Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy View Post

Soon to be the proud (hopefully) owner of the Vivitek LED H9080FD - thanks to the excellent deal on WOOT. Hopefully there are enough other new owners on AVS to share tips etc with on this seemingly incredible projector.

Since the WOOT deal happened over the weekend most of us won't know anything about shipping until Monday at the earliest. But being that it's a ground breaking product and something of a different animal, it will be helpful to communicate with other owners - even if only to exchange oohs and ahs.

If anyone else has or is about to have one, please sign in!
post #76 of 76 Old 04-25-2014, 07:01 AM

Hi all
Being new to the site (and AV in general) I'm not really even sure where this thread will end up!
I'm considering purchasing what I believe to be some reasonably good home cinema gear at what I hope is a good price and I was hoping for some unbiased, non-salesman, expert advice. I'm in Australia and I have been offered a vivtek 9080FD LED DLP projector out of the box with 100 hours on it and full factory warranty for AUD$3500, a curved anamorphic 160" (2.35:1) cinemamax ultra wide screen for AUD $2500 and a prismasonic 5000r anamorphic HD lens with "pass thru" for watching TV etc which is remotely controlled for AUD$1800.

My questions (if you're still reading) are:
1) does this gear sound compatible or are there things I should alter?
2) for what I'm planning on spending are there "better" alternatives and am I wasting money? The room is 6x6m with lounge set back ~3-4m from screen. 2nd storey room with some ambient light and not sound proofed. I'll mainly be watching blueray, streamed movies and some TV.
3) any suggestions on compatible surround sound systems within a AUD$5000 budget?
4) anything I've forgotten? eg. 3D

Thanks for your kindness and sympathy for my ignorance.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page