Vivitek H9080FD LED owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 11-30-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Soon to be the proud (hopefully) owner of the Vivitek LED H9080FD - thanks to the excellent deal on WOOT. Hopefully there are enough other new owners on AVS to share tips etc with on this seemingly incredible projector.

Since the WOOT deal happened over the weekend most of us won't know anything about shipping until Monday at the earliest. But being that it's a ground breaking product and something of a different animal, it will be helpful to communicate with other owners - even if only to exchange oohs and ahs.

If anyone else has or is about to have one, please sign in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 11-30-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Throws a nice image and I like the idea of an LED projector, but 400 lumens is not bright enough for my screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 76 Old 11-30-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's rated at 800 lumens but I guess you mean calibrated. If I didn't already have a 700 lumen LED projecting a nearly 300" image in medium lamp mode there's no way I would have gone for an 800 lumen PJ - LED or no. One reviewer mentioned its actually brighter than current JVC's. We'll see about that, but if the image is as good as reviews say (and there have been quite a few) I'm willing to go smaller on the screen if necessary.

I've owned two 1200 lumen projectors - both LCD and DLP and neither of them could match the light output of my 700 lumen LG LED. At least after the first 300 or so lamp hours. I know this is AV heresy, but it's been easily observable. Hopefully the theory holds up for the Vivitek...
post #4 of 76 Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'm the happy owner of a Vivitek H9080FD (120 hours now) after calibration I have 530 lumens.
post #5 of 76 Old 12-01-2013, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

I'm the happy owner of a Vivitek H9080FD (120 hours now) after calibration I have 530 lumens.

Good to hear! How large a screen are you using - and what gain?
post #6 of 76 Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy View Post

It's rated at 800 lumens but I guess you mean calibrated. If I didn't already have a 700 lumen LED projecting a nearly 300" image in medium lamp mode there's no way I would have gone for an 800 lumen PJ - LED or no. One reviewer mentioned its actually brighter than current JVC's. We'll see about that, but if the image is as good as reviews say (and there have been quite a few) I'm willing to go smaller on the screen if necessary.

I've owned two 1200 lumen projectors - both LCD and DLP and neither of them could match the light output of my 700 lumen LG LED. At least after the first 300 or so lamp hours. I know this is AV heresy, but it's been easily observable. Hopefully the theory holds up for the Vivitek...

I was going by Art's numbers: http://www.projectorreviews.com/vivitek/vivitek-h9080fd-performance/#vivitek-h9080fd-brightness

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #7 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I was going by Art's numbers: http://www.projectorreviews.com/vivitek/vivitek-h9080fd-performance/#vivitek-h9080fd-brightness

It's funny how across the board the reviews are on this. Even though they all agree about an excellent overall picture quality, the specifics like brightness, contrast, shadow detail etc are almost contradictory from review to review. Maybe because it's been out a few years before discontinued with continuos firmware or other improvements. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
post #8 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'm using a 1.4 gray screen, but for my brightness results the sensor is directed to the projector lens and not to the screen.

PS : My brightness measures are very closed to the one from projectorreviews htcrazy.
post #9 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It's funny how across the board the reviews are on this. Even though they all agree about an excellent overall picture quality, the specifics like brightness, contrast, shadow detail etc are almost contradictory from review to review. Maybe because it's been out a few years before discontinued with continuos firmware or other improvements. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

It goes to show how much measurements vary from person to person and why measurements posted in threads may not be accurate.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #10 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

I'm using a 1.4 gray screen, but for my brightness results the sensor is directed to the projector lens and not to the screen.

PS : My brightness measures are very closed to the one from projectorreviews htcrazy.

Are you using a grey screen to help with contrast or did you have it from before? One review said the contrast blows away JVC and another that it was better than average for a DLP. And how large a screen do you think you can go?
post #11 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Are you using a grey screen to help with contrast or did you have it from before? One review said the contrast blows away JVC and another that it was better than average for a DLP. And how large a screen do you think you can go?

Blows away JVC? I would take that review with a grain of salt. Here is a quote from Art:

"Overall, the Vivitek’s black level performance is very good, but not exceptional. It’s definitely an ultra high contrast projector (contrast claimed to be 100,000:1), but in comparing with other projectors I’ve concluded it isn’t a match for the JVC DLA-RS20, the reigning champ), or for that matter, the less expensive JVC RS10.

Overall, black level performance with iris off is not impressive, still limited by the DLP chip, even if the light source offers real, potential performance improvement over conventional lamps.

Almost certainly, for movie watching, people will use the dynamic iris. When using it, black level performance becomes very respectable. I would, overall, put it in the performance range of the Epson Home (or Pro) Cinema 6500UB (the champ of the under $3500 projectors). It may not quite match the Epson, but is in the same class. That should also mean that it is comparable to Sony’s VPL-VW70, and better than their VPL-HW10."

With dynamic iris, it has good black levels and I would not be worried about it.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #12 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Art's review was in the middle. One review said its ANSI contrast was 30% better than the best bulb projector (JVC) while another stated that the variable iris wasn't worthwhile and it did just slightly better black level than the better DLP's. Hopefully this is because of improvements made over the years rather than something the reviewers were smoking.
post #13 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 10
I have a RS4810 in house now, and ordered one of the H9080's. I would expect in standard usage the JVC would have better blacks/contrast. Only exception would be if the H9080 can shutoff the LED entirely for fade to blacks, which I believe the Runco Q750i could do when i saw it a few years ago.

Tim Shadler
post #14 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Vivitek isn't like SIM2, refining their product over time. I owned a H9080FD clone (NuVision ProVu P2). It's DI is pretty good. It reminds me of how the Epson's perform. Good and usable but nothing spectacular.

With contrast, you're confusing ANSI with On/Off. This unit has relatively high ANSI, around 700:1 but lower on off around 10000:1. Comparing to a JVC is hard because it's a totally different technology. The cheaper JVCs are around 350:1 ANSI and 50000:1 on off. Overall intrascene contrast will typically be higher on the JVC with the exception of very bright scenes. Overall I think if you get a well converged current generation JVC the over all experience is better. Both throw a beautiful image but I think the overall image is better on the newer JVCs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #15 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Vivitek isn't like SIM2, refining their product over time. I owned a H9080FD clone (NuVision ProVu P2). It's DI is pretty good. It reminds me of how the Epson's perform. Good and usable but nothing spectacular.

With contrast, you're confusing ANSI with On/Off. This unit has relatively high ANSI, around 700:1 but lower on off around 10000:1. Comparing to a JVC is hard because it's a totally different technology. The cheaper JVCs are around 350:1 ANSI and 50000:1 on off. Overall intrascene contrast will typically be higher on the JVC with the exception of very bright scenes. Overall I think if you get a well converged current generation JVC the over all experience is better. Both throw a beautiful image but I think the overall image is better on the newer JVCs

I can see Mike rolling his eyes with that "I told you so" look. Second thoughts on passing on the JVC 4810. But I guess with the $1000 savings between the price difference and a bulb replacement or two - hopefully the difference won't be significant.
post #16 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

It really depends on the type of content you're mostly viewing. The JVC is much better for movies where there tends to be a lot of darker content. For sports and most TV shows (though not all) the DLP projector is better.

post #17 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimShadler View Post

I have a RS4810 in house now, and ordered one of the H9080's. I would expect in standard usage the JVC would have better blacks/contrast. Only exception would be if the H9080 can shutoff the LED entirely for fade to blacks, which I believe the Runco Q750i could do when i saw it a few years ago.

Tim Shadler

While these units do have that mode available, it's impracticle to use with normal content, ie movie and TV shows. The immense change in brightness and contrast is kind of obscene. I believe that setting is called "infinity". The DI setting subtley named "on" is the best. It's definitely the most fine tuned out of the three options available. Overall this projector puts out a gorgeous image that will leave little desired. Though I think when you A/B side by side with the RS4810 you'll see the dramatic difference in brightness and contrast the JVC has over this unit. Also, depending on how well converged your unit is and how nice the lens sample is on your unit you'll find liitle difference in sharpness between the images with real world film content. I know I did and it's the reason I'm sticking with my JVC for the time being. I think the only DLP projectors out there currently that would get me to switch back is one of the higher end SIM2 units that use a DI. But those cost a small fortune...

post #18 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I can see Mike rolling his eyes with that "I told you so" look. Second thoughts on passing on the JVC 4810. But I guess with the $1000 savings between the price difference and a bulb replacement or two - hopefully the difference won't be significant.

$1,000? I think you mean around $500. smile.gif Unless you got a better price than Woot. smile.gif

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #19 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 10
Obviously these two units have different use cases, im running a high gain screen and have the iris on the 4810 almost all the way down anyway. Resale value on both units seems high so should be a good demo.
post #20 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

$1,000? I think you mean around $500. smile.gif Unless you got a better price than Woot. smile.gif

$550 in price difference and adding in a saved lamp or two. From the comments so far it looks like il be happy with the picture and will try not to think about the contrast and brightness I might be leaving on the table.
post #21 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

$550 in price difference and adding in a saved lamp or two. From the comments so far it looks like il be happy with the picture and will try not to think about the contrast and brightness I might be leaving on the table.

No question, long term is cheaper with the LED projector. smile.gif

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #22 of 76 Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It really depends on the type of content you're mostly viewing. The JVC is much better for movies where there tends to be a lot of darker content. For sports and most TV shows (though not all) the DLP projector is better.

I'll be using this 100% for movies. Ah well as others have said ill probably be happy with the picture anyway and if worse comes to worse the resale value on this WOOT deal should bail me out. I'm feeling better about this.
post #23 of 76 Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One of the standouts of the Vivitek is supposedly the color. Ultra vivid with an expanded palette but never seemingly unnatural. I wonder if that's thanks to the unusually high ANSI contrast or because of the LED technology?

Just got the notice from WOOT that mine will be here Monday! It'll be nice to stop obsessing over reviews and watch a movie or two..lol

By the way, a big thanks to Mike at AVS for accommodating me with the 4810, and his amazing patience and responsiveness. I gotta admit, buying a projector anywhere else makes me a tad nervous..
post #24 of 76 Old 12-04-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The color characteristics you're describing are due to the native color gamut of the LEDs which results in higher saturated colors, ie more "vivid" looking colors.

Though if you're adhering to REC 709 gamut mode on this projector, like people should be doing when watching bluray, there should be no difference in how color looks. It either adheres to the standard or it doesn't. People still debate this though and say the LEDs still look different.

post #25 of 76 Old 12-04-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some reviewers said that it also had the capacity for a larger color palate than other projectors. Does that mean it will take better advantage of the "Deep Color" settings on the Oppo? Like "Deep Color 30K" for example? Have you ever tried the NuVision with deep color?
post #26 of 76 Old 12-04-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimShadler View Post

Tim Shadler
Quote:

I almost pulled the trigger on one of these a few months ago but the reviews were so inconsistent - and it's soo big. smile.gif

Will be interesting to see how this compares, especially to the 4810.

post #27 of 76 Old 12-04-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some reviewers said that it also had the capacity for a larger color palate than other projectors. Does that mean it will take better advantage of the "Deep Color" settings on the Oppo? Like "Deep Color 30K" for example? Have you ever tried the NuVision with deep color?

You're confusing bit depth and color gamut which are two separate things. Deep color refers to encoded video at 10 bits versus the standard 8 bit. The only consumer content like this would be the mastered in 4K films Sony has released which are xvYCC.

Edit: Apparently I have a bad understanding of Sony's mastered in 4K blu-rays. They are advertized as "extended color which requires xvYCC gamut capability" but apparently Sony is using it's own proprietary gamut that doesn't quite fill the entire xvYCC gamut, which means if you calibrate to xvYCC and play these mastered in 4K blu-ray titles, color will still be wrong. That proprietary gamut is only available through the use of either the Sony upgraded 1000ES/1100ES or the 500ES/600ES projectors and xvYCC usually indicated 10 bit video but I think these mastered in 4K titles are still 8 bit.

post #28 of 76 Old 12-05-2013, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I almost pulled the trigger on one of these a few months ago but the reviews were so inconsistent - and it's soo big. smile.gif

Will be interesting to see how this compares, especially to the 4810.

I'll be interested in that too - especially since I returned a 4810 to get this. One other negative that the reviewers don't really stress is that it' has a longish throw. For a lower lumen projector this seems like an odd decision. Not to mention constricting the size of the screen in my HT. We'll see how big a factor this is. I'd like to have at least a 133" screen.
post #29 of 76 Old 12-05-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're confusing bit depth and color gamut which are two separate things. Deep color refers to encoded video at 10 bits versus the standard 8 bit. The only consumer content like this would be the mastered in 4K films Sony has released which are xvYCC.

For some reason I thought deep color referred to a larger color palate with literally millions of discreet colors. This was why the extra color info took up so much more HDMI bandwidth. On my Oppo there's an option for 30 and 36 bit deep color. Never knew this even existed before I got the OPPO.
post #30 of 76 Old 12-05-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
The 9080FD has a lens range of 1.85 to 2.4:1 which is the same as the Planar 8130/8150. At 20 feet, it's still not enough to fill my 142" screen. This is frustrating because all of my other projectors can be placed much closer to the screen.

I like the PQ of the 8130 and have the necessary room so I might consider a ceiling mount (all other projector are table mounted).

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page