First time Projector Novice Questions - Screen & Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a room over the garage (already finished) that I plan to build out with a 120" screen and projector.

I was planning on using the Monoprice Ceiling Recessed Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen (Somfy Motor) w/ IR Remote - HD Gray Fabric (120 inch, 16:9)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10829&cs_id=1082908&p_id=7953&seq=1&format=2

and I was thinking about either the:
Sony VPL-HW50 or
Sony VPL-VW95

About the room, it is a light tan room with a white ceiling, I just can't justify painting, or re-carpeting it in dark colors to the wife.

What are the thoughts on the screen, and the projector options with the lack of light treatment?

I did install blackout shades on all windows and they do a pretty good job of blocking out the light, I am sure the reflective light is going to be the bigger issue from reading the forum, and is why I planned to use the Gray Fabric.

Thanks in advance!

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The HW50 is a bit brighter, and the areas where the 95 is better I don't think you'd benefit from in a light colored room and with a 16:9 screen. Save some cash and get the 50 or 55es (the replacement for the 50).

Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

The HW50 is a bit brighter, and the areas where the 95 is better I don't think you'd benefit from in a light colored room and with a 16:9 screen. Save some cash and get the 50 or 55es (the replacement for the 50).

Thanks Aaron. I continued to read and ran across the fact that the 95 was better for fully treated rooms and was dimmer, and also that the single 16:9 screen I would not benefit from the lens memory etc. options.

I am not 100% sure what the differences are between the 50 & the 55.

Looks like I can get the 50 new for $2950 and the 55 new for $3500.

The cheapest I have seen the 50 cross ebay is $2800, which doesn't make sense to me to pick up the 50.

So for $550, is it worth the 55, or stick with the 50?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm waiting on the 55, but only because I got a pre-order deal that was cheaper than the 50. The biggest thing might be the RF 3D and wireless HDMI compatibility on the 55 - other than that, there's not much difference. So if those features are important, spend the extra for the 55ES.

After waiting 5 weeks and counting for my 55 (it was originally supposed to be released in late October), I feel like I should have spent a few hundred more and got the 50 in September - but only because I'm impatient and I sold my old PJ in October. I think you'd be thrilled with either.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well I ended up with a 50 for $2500 that has 130 hours on it and only was 6 months old. I also received 6 pairs of glasses and the extra lamp. SO... That swung my decision. Thanks for the feedback and help btw. I was a few inches from the JVC DLA 35, but with the white room, and the price, settled on the Sony.

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector