What is a high speed HDMI ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have a 1.4 hdmi cable in place , is there something better?? This is what the Sony 500ES manual says about installation
and cable hook up page 13 .

P 13.

Connecting to Video Equipment or a Computer
Connections and Preparations

• Use a high-speed HDMI cable. With a standard HDMI cable, images of 1080p, DeepColor, 3D
video and 4K video may not be displayed properly.
• When connecting an HDMI cable to the unit, make sure the
V
mark on the upper part of the HDMI
input of the unit and the
v
mark on the connector of the cable is set at the same position.
• If the picture from equipment connected to the unit with an HDMI cable is not correct, check the
settings of the connected equipment.
• If you set your computer, such as a notebook type, to output the signal to both computer’s display
and this equipment, the picture of the equipment may not appear properly. Set your computer to
output the signal to only the external monitor. For details, refer to the computer’s operating
instructions supplied with your computer. For settings of the computer, consult with the
manufacturer of the computer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
There is no such thing as 1.4 hdmi cable. It's either standard or hi-speed. Some have been known to sell/market the high speed as "1.4" but that's not the official HDMI line....http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/how_to_connect.aspx#Rightcable. Is your cable marked with type?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

There is no such thing as 1.4 hdmi cable. It's either standard or hi-speed. Some have been known to sell/market the high speed as "1.4" but that's not the official HDMI line....http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/how_to_connect.aspx#Rightcable. Is your cable marked with type?

Going to check that out tonight. The cable was 16-25 feet long, gold plated and expensive, that is all I can recall. Assuming it is marked I will check that out.

I just assumed the new 4K PJ would not pass a 4K signal on the 1.4 cable, I guess it does as long as it is a "hi-speed" version.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 156
The VW500 doesn't require any more bandwidth over HDMI than what existing High Speed cables are rated for (~10.2Gbps). It sounds like future 4K displays that "fully" support HDMI 2.0 (ie support up to 18Gbps) will need new active HDMI cables.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #5 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Going to check that out tonight. The cable was 16-25 feet long, gold plated and expensive, that is all I can recall. Assuming it is marked I will check that out.

I just assumed the new 4K PJ would not pass a 4K signal on the 1.4 cable, I guess it does as long as it is a "hi-speed" version.

I do have the "hi-Speed" cable from the Darbee to the PJ but the HDMI from the A/V receiver to the Darbee and from the blu ray to the A/V receiver is not. Will change those tonight, I assume that
could be a serious bottleneck .
post #6 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

The VW500 doesn't require any more bandwidth over HDMI than what existing High Speed cables are rated for (~10.2Gbps). It sounds like future 4K displays that "fully" support HDMI 2.0 (ie support up to 18Gbps) will need new active HDMI cables.

Thanks, this is a bonus as I do have the Hi-Speed cable in place from the Darbee to the PJ. I do NOT have the Hi-Speed between the blue ray, Darbee and receiver though , will change those tonight .
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I do have the "hi-Speed" cable from the Darbee to the PJ but the HDMI from the A/V receiver to the Darbee and from the blu ray to the A/V receiver is not. Will change those tonight, I assume that
could be a serious bottleneck .

If they're working, there's no reason to change them. Just because a cable isn't High Speed certified, doesn't mean it won't work, it just mean's it's not "guaranteed" to work. Just keep that fact in mind in the future if you do run into trouble.

I ran a 50' standard speed HDMI cable for a long time and it was fine up to 1080p60.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #8 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If they're working, there's no reason to change them. Just because a cable isn't High Speed certified, doesn't mean it won't work, it just mean's it's not "guaranteed" to work. Just keep that fact in mind in the future if you do run into trouble.

I ran a 50' standard speed HDMI cable for a long time and it was fine up to 1080p60.

I've had a couple of issues where I have lost the picture on the projector and I'm not sure if that was related to the cable or not. I have the cables anyway, may as well put them on to eliminate that possibility.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
When I first had 3D capability with a tv (and PS3) had some success with standard hdmi cable, but better with hi-speed.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #10 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've had a couple of issues where I have lost the picture on the projector and I'm not sure if that was related to the cable or not. I have the cables anyway, may as well put them on to eliminate that possibility.

Replaced the "standard" HDMI with hi-speed last night and secured some cables that may have been loose. Picture is better, but I had the same picture initially with my new 500. I believe I may have had a loose HDMI
cable not making good contact and that is why I had some rogue issues now and then. Picture is better for sure, at least I know there is no bottle neck now. smile.gif
post #11 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

To be clear, and insufficient HDMI cable won't "bottleneck" or "degrade" the picture, it will fail in obvious/spectacular fashion, either complete failure (no picture), partial failure (sparkles) or sometimes just handshake issues.

post #12 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

To be clear, and insufficient HDMI cable won't "bottleneck" or "degrade" the picture, it will fail in obvious/spectacular fashion, either complete failure (no picture), partial failure (sparkles) or sometimes just handshake issues.

Had all of the aforementioned issues except for the sparkles, maybe that was it then ? A couple more days and I will know for sure , I do believe I have resolved the problem though, we shall see.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es
Gear in this thread