Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #271 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use a Marantz SR7008. I don't know which chip is in there for upscaling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FYI, I still had issues with the HDMI using input 2.
post #273 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

FYI, I still had issues with the HDMI using input 2.

What has JVC said about all these HDMI issues?
post #274 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 172
JVC had issues with the first generation of projectors with this chassis (RS40-50-60) and I find it troublesome that JVC still can't get a trouble free HDMI implementation when most $200 flat panel HDTVs have HDMI inputs that work without any lockup issues and take only a second or two to switch between 1080p/t080i/720p input signals. Even the 7 year old JVC 1080p DILA rear projection TV in my family room has never had any HDMI lockup issues.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #275 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

What has JVC said about all these HDMI issues?

That they will be fixed when their engineers come back from holiday next week smile.gif
post #276 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

That they will be fixed when their engineers come back from holiday next week smile.gif

Well that's the issue, at my company you don't LEAVE for vacation with problems on the table...if you do, its just a permanent vacation.
post #277 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Rs56

Thanks SOWK for the hint, I got the deal : A less than 100 hrs RS56, I now have to get used to the idea that I actually own a VP eek.gif

Now it's screen choice time, if only Z10K had a little time left to reply to my question about the HP screen viewing cone / angle ...... biggrin.gif
post #278 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Don't worry everybody-I'm sure JVC is all over this HDMI issue and has "Top Men" working on it already.biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdjf4lMmiiI
post #279 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I've seen in previous JVC threads people complaining about light leakage from these pjs. With my last 3 DLPs, the light spill onto the ceiling (and subsequently onto the screen) was so bad that it washed the image out. Something I've noticed about the JVC RS4910 is that, even in bright scenes, there's almost no light going anywhere but the middle of the screen. And there seems to be nothing else in the darker scenes (Harry Potter II-in the caverns under Gingotts).This would seem to be essential in great black levels, and even in shadow details as with lots of light spill onto walls and ceilings wouldn't you effectively be pulling the gamma below your target if the blacks are washed out more than the mid and high APL areas? I just wonder what everyone's take is on this? Is it possible that this is a side benefit of JVCs iris implementation?
post #280 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

JVC had issues with the first generation of projectors with this chassis (RS40-50-60) and I find it troublesome that JVC still can't get a trouble free HDMI implementation when most $200 flat panel HDTVs have HDMI inputs that work without any lockup issues and take only a second or two to switch between 1080p/t080i/720p input signals. Even the 7 year old JVC 1080p DILA rear projection TV in my family room has never had any HDMI lockup issues.

Ron has stated it succinctly. As many JVC owners like myself would agree, "We are mad as hell and don't want to keep pulling the plug to reboot our projectors because of HDMI issues any more!"

JVC fixed the bulb issues, please address this HDMI problem which has been going on for years, not just with the current models of projectors shipped within the past week with the current models. Over the past past week, the mantra is ... Maybe a new firmware update?.... when they finally return from the holidays. I guess it could happen eventually if enough of us complain.
post #281 of 2327 Old 01-02-2014, 10:53 PM

Liked: 13
Jvc just needs to partner with Panasonic for their hdmi 2.0 tech for exchange for their dila tech smile.gif
post #282 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos77 View Post

Jvc just needs to partner with Panasonic for their hdmi 2.0 tech for exchange for their dila tech smile.gif
Won't happen as the Panasonic 4K projector is a based on the Sony 500/600ES (SXRD).
Too bad Pana didn't share their HDMI 2.0a chipsets with anyone else though.
post #283 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Won't happen as the Panasonic 4K projector is a based on the Sony 500/600ES (SXRD).
Too bad Pana didn't share their HDMI 2.0a chipsets with anyone else though.

Do you think it's based on Sony's SXRD? I'm thinking its based off Epson's. It's kinda coincidence they are both showing off 4K at CES and given Panasonic's prior sourcing from Epson.

I haven't been able to get any more info on them other than whats on the web.
post #284 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post

Do you think it's based on Sony's SXRD? I'm thinking its based off Epson's. It's kinda coincidence they are both showing off 4K at CES and given Panasonic's prior sourcing from Epson.

I haven't been able to get any more info on them other than whats on the web.

That's what I heard. Also, Panasonic and Sony were partners in the OLED venture, and also on the 300Gb archival disc project, so it kind of makes sense.

But you might be right. I guess we'll know soon enough smile.gif
post #285 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:

That's what I heard. Also, Panasonic and Sony were partners in the OLED venture, and also on the 300Gb archival disc project, so it kind of makes sense.

I guess we'll know soon enough smile.gif

Yeah, I hear ya, I was thinking along the same lines but then thought why now? They haven't released anything new in a year. The Sony chips have been available for a while now. The only thing not available was Epson's 4K chips.

But you're right we'll know soon enough and thank god it's right around the corner.

Exciting times ahead that's for sure!
post #286 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veinboy View Post

JVC fixed the bulb issues, please address this HDMI problem which has been going on for years, not just with the current models of projectors shipped within the past week with the current models. Over the past past week, the mantra is ... Maybe a new firmware update?.... when they finally return from the holidays. I guess it could happen eventually if enough of us complain.

There may have been some quirky HDMI blips with previous models, but the current issue with these new units is frankly unusable. Borderline tolerable with the idea that it will be fixed in the near future, but unusable if it were to remain a longer term problem. Mine will be returned as defective if it is not resolved.
post #287 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There may have been some quirky HDMI blips with previous models, but the current issue with these new units is frankly unusable. Borderline tolerable with the idea that it will be fixed in the near future, but unusable if it were to remain a longer term problem. Mine will be returned as defective if it is not resolved.

I'm not sure if JVC checks these threads but in case they don't, everyone with an HDMI issue should email or call them...contact info. is here: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/index.jsp. There's a link specifically to send your projector in "Service Request Form (D-ILA Projectors)" and I also sent a general email describing the problem here: proinfo@jvc.com

The squeakiest wheel gets the grease...
post #288 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 447
It is my understanding that they use a service to report negative comments to them. But I am sure they know about the problem and are working to resolve it quickly.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #289 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post

That would be surprising given that Epson didn't succeed in bringing 2K LCOS to market.

Noah
post #290 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I got an almost instant reply from Mendtronix INC asking me to ship my almost week-old pj to GA for diagnostic testing. As my pj seems to be in remission, I'll hold on to it until the problem presents again. I mainly just wanted documentation that they have been made aware of the problem.
post #291 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, things just got worse. My pj will now not show an image, any image, regardless of what I do. Unplugging doesn't work anymore, factory reset doesn't work anymore, switching inputs and cables doesn't work... Good news is, I have a choice to watch either an all blue screen or an all black screen...and they were right, blacks are what this projector does best! mad.gif
post #292 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Well, things just got worse. My pj will now not show an image, any image, regardless of what I do. Unplugging doesn't work anymore, factory reset doesn't work anymore, switching inputs and cables doesn't work... Good news is, I have a choice to watch either an all blue screen or an all black screen...and they were right, blacks are what this projector does best! mad.gif
What?!? That's ridiculous. Are you going to return it and, if not right now, how long are you going to wait on a fix from JVC?
post #293 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Im sorry to hear that. Yes, that's simply not acceptable.

If it isn't working at all you should talk with your dealer and see if there is anything they can do to help you. Regardless of whether we "expect" JVC to fix this issue I don't think there has been an official promise of a fix or time table given at this point.

If your projector isn't giving you ANY image, it's defective. Period. Hopefully your dealer will exchange it for you regardless of an arbitrary # of hours on the bulb policy.

I would hope that JVC will have something helpful to say about this by Monday. Frankly, January 2nd is a normal non-holiday work day for like 99% of the world regardless of whether or not you get the week "between" Christmas and New Years Day off.

Hopefully they'll address this issue for their customers by next week. But your problem is extreme and I think it is reasonable to expect that should be resolved quickly.
post #294 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine just locked up again (on HDMI 2 FWIW) and it's extremely, EXTREMELY frustrating. The silence from JVC is deafening. I should've known better than to sell my 4810 before I'd gotten past the new projector's infant mortality period.
post #295 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

If your projector isn't giving you ANY image, it's defective. Period.

I'd consider a projector that lost sync/lost picture on resolution changes to be defective too - useless, really, and I wouldn't accept it, or keep it, if that issue weren't worked out quickly.
The idea of a customer being given a defective projector for all that money and then being expected to be somehow responsible for dealing with and fixing that defect, is ridiculous IMO.
(Which is, again, why I don't plan to receive my projector before JVC fixes these issues).

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #296 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

So, AVS has been very sympathetic to this issue and has a call into JVC. In addition, I reached out to Art Frierman for the Projector Review website and he has contacts in the top PR, Engineering and Project Administration levels and has assured me that "JVC" is now aware of the catastrophic failure of the HDMI input (my words, not theirs). With next week being CES, Art and some of the people from AVS will, no doubt, corner these guys for some answers. Lets just hope they have some by then..

Ditto about January 2nd being a work day...the postal service was open for crying out! I don't think there's any reason for JVC to send ANYONE to CES unless this problem has been fixed!

So, while typing this I just fired my pj back up...it still won't see my AppleTV, PS3, DirecTV box but is syncing up to my Sony BDP-S790 just fine... hey, if its only gonna see one source, I'm glad it was blu-ray.

If you are still experiencing HDMI input problems like these, please email proinfo@jvc.com and tell them. If they don't have it fixed by end of next week they'll have to issue a cease and desist for my emails and phone calls...if it doesn't border on harrassment, I'm not doing my best! biggrin.gif Stay tuned!
cardoski likes this.
post #297 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Good to hear you are really putting the pressure on, pottscb.

Regarding AVS, they are great guys and always do whatever they can to get happy customers. I'm sure, like everyone else, the AVS staff are simply stuck waiting for JVC to get a solution happening.

It's the same with my dealer.

Rich H

post #298 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

So, AVS has been very sympathetic to this issue and has a call into JVC. In addition, I reached out to Art Frierman for the Projector Review website and he has contacts in the top PR, Engineering and Project Administration levels and has assured me that "JVC" is now aware of the catastrophic failure of the HDMI input (my words, not theirs). With next week being CES, Art and some of the people from AVS will, no doubt, corner these guys for some answers. Lets just hope they have some by then..

Ditto about January 2nd being a work day...the postal service was open for crying out! I don't think there's any reason for JVC to send ANYONE to CES unless this problem has been fixed!

So, while typing this I just fired my pj back up...it still won't see my AppleTV, PS3, DirecTV box but is syncing up to my Sony BDP-S790 just fine... hey, if its only gonna see one source, I'm glad it was blu-ray.

If you are still experiencing HDMI input problems like these, please email proinfo@jvc.com and tell them. If they don't have it fixed by end of next week they'll have to issue a cease and desist for my emails and phone calls...if it doesn't border on harrassment, I'm not doing my best! biggrin.gif Stay tuned!

If the engineers are the Japanese there is nothing to be done as they have been off work since the 27th and return on Monday the 6th. It's BS but it is what it is. Everyone is kicking and screaming on this side of the world as well.
post #299 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 03:14 PM

Liked: 10
My 4910 is due to arrive this Tuesday. Would it be wise to refuse the package and hope that JVC gets this thing figured out really soon. Is it definitely a firmware fix, or is it a an IC problem that needs hands-on service?
post #300 of 2327 Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1006 View Post

My 4910 is due to arrive this Tuesday. Would it be wise to refuse the package and hope that JVC gets this thing figured out really soon. Is it definitely a firmware fix, or is it a an IC problem that needs hands-on service?
I think based on the nature of the issue everyone is assuming (and hoping) that it can be fixed through firmware, but no one knows for sure.

If I could do it over again, I'd probably have held on to my 4810 until I was sure that shipping 4910s had the fix pre-installed. I am going to be extremely displeased if I have to mail my projector in for repair considering this problem has been present from day one -- so I sure hope user-installable firmware will fix it.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page