Forum Jump: 
 183Likes
post #2971 of 2997 Old 12-15-2014, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hdmi 1 doesn't work

Just got my 4910 and hdmi 1 won't display anything. Getting blue screen with no input message. Hdmi 2 works fine. I switched components from one input to the other and still can only get hdmi 2 to work and output an image. Firmware version is r1211.6...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2997 Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 327
If HDMI port 2 works with the same exact signal it most likely means there's a physical issue with the port, aka it's broken.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #2973 of 2997 Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpersaud View Post
Thanks Mike but would I be losing image quality with the 2.4 gain screen? I want the JVC because of the black levels and don't want to loose that because of the high gain due to the larger screen size.
From my understanding that screen is retroreflective. If so, you will need to mount the projector, slightly above seated head height to get the gain. While for critical viewing a good 1.0 gain reference screen is a better choice for pure image quality, you have to go to a screen with a lot of gain, if you want to go with a 140" screen with the JVC, this is what you are going to have to do. You will still be pleased with the engine.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2974 of 2997 Old 12-15-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
If HDMI port 2 works with the same exact signal it most likely means there's a physical issue with the port, aka it's broken.
That would be really distressing...just received the thing last week. Pain in the butt to pack up and ship out for repair or replace. Don't know if AVS would send me a new unit with calibration or would I need to go through JVC and lose out on the calibration.
post #2975 of 2997 Old 12-15-2014, 09:46 PM

Hey Mike G....what do you think I should do? Send it back to you guys or some other fix possibility?
post #2976 of 2997 Old 12-16-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahman12 View Post
Just got my 4910 and hdmi 1 won't display anything. Getting blue screen with no input message. Hdmi 2 works fine. I switched components from one input to the other and still can only get hdmi 2 to work and output an image. Firmware version is r1211.6...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
What cables are you using and have you tested with a shorter cable. it is possible that you are near the edge, between working and not working and it just happens to work on port 2. I am checking with the calibrator, because I would have expected him to have used port #1 .

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2977 of 2997 Old 12-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Plain Jane monoprice hdmi cables for a 15 foot run into the pj. No red mere or anything. The cables are 20 footers but the run is 15 feet
post #2978 of 2997 Old 12-16-2014, 09:57 AM

All your help is greatly appreciated Mike and forum family.
post #2979 of 2997 Old 12-16-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Plain Jane monoprice hdmi cables for a 15 foot run into the pj. No red mere or anything. The cables are 20 footers but the run is 15 feet

Get yourself some 18gps Redmere cables from Monoprice - cheap enough insurance that it won't be your cable.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #2980 of 2997 Old 12-16-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The projector was calibrated on HDMI 1. Take a short cable and connect direct from BD player to projector and see if that works.

post #2981 of 2997 Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM

Thanks Mike and Craig.... I will look into a higher grade redmere hdmi and check with a short run cable as well just to see if the port is kosher. My man cave set up requires at least 15 foot runs to the pj but if I know the port works I can feel a bit better and just use hdmi 2 for everything if the redmere 18 gbps cable doesn't help.
post #2982 of 2997 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks Mike and Craig.... I will look into a higher grade redmere hdmi and check with a short run cable as well just to see if the port is kosher. My man cave set up requires at least 15 foot runs to the pj but if I know the port works I can feel a bit better and just use hdmi 2 for everything if the redmere 18 gbps cable doesn't help.
Please be careful about when you plug/unplug HDMI cables. Especially home theatre stuff (AV-receivers etc. and PJs) is sensitive to electric spikes, and for one it is quite easy to fry a board by plugging in when the units are powered on. (Some equipment might even have a fairly serious voltage differential between signal ground and the safety ground when it is connected to a wall outlet (on or off). This due to PS filtering caps or how the +/- power supply lines are constructed internally (i.e. floating ground etc.). Some desktop PC PSUs are very bad in that regard; bad combo with a PJ.) PC equipment I abuse more with the power on, never had issues. But e.g. I blew a board on my previous PJ..
post #2983 of 2997 Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNetRunner View Post
Please be careful about when you plug/unplug HDMI cables. Especially home theatre stuff (AV-receivers etc. and PJs) is sensitive to electric spikes, and for one it is quite easy to fry a board by plugging in when the units are powered on. (Some equipment might even have a fairly serious voltage differential between signal ground and the safety ground when it is connected to a wall outlet (on or off). This due to PS filtering caps or how the +/- power supply lines are constructed internally (i.e. floating ground etc.). Some desktop PC PSUs are very bad in that regard; bad combo with a PJ.) PC equipment I abuse more with the power on, never had issues. But e.g. I blew a board on my previous PJ..

I ALWAYS turn the power off to anything and everything connected to my HDMI cables before plugging or un-plugging them.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #2984 of 2997 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

Yes.... definitely must make cable switches with power off on equipment. Again thanks for the information and suggestions. Gonna try the cables on Saturday and post back with an update. Really want both ports to be working which increases input flexibility and gives insurance if hdmi 2 goes bad years down the road. Gracias amigos!!!!!
post #2985 of 2997 Old Today, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Be careful on carpets as well. I see blue arcs of electricity on the hdmi ports when I'm shifting game consoles from room to room. Haven't fried my tvs yet but they are commodities these days. I would be exceptionally careful in my theater.
post #2986 of 2997 Old Today, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought my 4910 from AVS back during the preorder window, but due to my job only have 173 hours on it so far. I'm taking the winter off, so last night I decided to put in some of the suggested OTB picture settings provided by Mike. While in the picture menu I noticed the CMD setting was set to "off" and greyed out, preventing any adjustments. Is this because it is a function reserved for the higher models in the series, or do I need to go dig into the manual to see if I am missing something?
post #2987 of 2997 Old Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post
I bought my 4910 from AVS back during the preorder window, but due to my job only have 173 hours on it so far. I'm taking the winter off, so last night I decided to put in some of the suggested OTB picture settings provided by Mike. While in the picture menu I noticed the CMD setting was set to "off" and greyed out, preventing any adjustments. Is this because it is a function reserved for the higher models in the series, or do I need to go dig into the manual to see if I am missing something?
Is the input signal going to the projector 4K? If you have a source component that upscales your video to 4K, CMD is no longer an option because the projector cannot do frame interpolation on a 4K image.

post #2988 of 2997 Old Today, 12:06 PM

Nope, was checking the menu settings with HDMI 1 set as the input with no input signal. Normally the input signal is from my OPPO 93, but had it turned off.
post #2989 of 2997 Old Today, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post
Nope, was checking the menu settings with HDMI 1 set as the input with no input signal. Normally the input signal is from my OPPO 93, but had it turned off.
That's why. If you don't have an input signal going to the projector, that option will be greyed out. Send a signal to the projector and it should be available again.

post #2990 of 2997 Old Today, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Is the input signal going to the projector 4K? If you have a source component that upscales your video to 4K, CMD is no longer an option because the projector cannot do frame interpolation on a 4K image.
A point of clarification: CMD frame interpolation does in fact work when the projector is fed 4K material (as well as 3D material) -- I believe this was a new addition to this years models.

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #2991 of 2997 Old Today, 12:46 PM

Thanks guys. Am planning on keeping this PJ past the introduction of the next series, but will add the new OPPO when it becomes available, hopefully next fall. Good to know it can accept a 4K signal, even if it displays it with eshift.
post #2992 of 2997 Unread Today, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
A point of clarification: CMD frame interpolation does in fact work when the projector is fed 4K material (as well as 3D material) -- I believe this was a new addition to this years models.
With a 1080p 3D signal it will work, but not for a 4K input. It will work with eshift enabled if the source is 1080p, however, and I think this is what you mean. The reason behind this is because it applies the frame interpolation prior to scaling the image. When fed a 4K signal you cannot use CMD. The same thing is true for the Sony 4K units. You can only use Motion Flow (their term for CFI) if you let the projector scale the image to 4K and the reasoning is the same. It creates the intermediary frames prior to scaling them. True 4K creative frame interpolation takes a LOT of IPC power from a processor. It will be a couple more years before we see this feature for a true 4K signal.

Last edited by Seegs108; Today at 02:46 PM.
post #2993 of 2997 Unread Today, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
When a fed the jvc 4k from the Oppo, I'm also able to use cmd in 4k.
post #2994 of 2997 Unread Today, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I will try this later this evening. I remember trying it very early this year and remembered it being greyed out in the menu's. If this is the case they must have enabled it in a later firmware. But I would imagine how they're getting this to work is when the projector creates the two 1080p frames from the 4K image to be displayed sequentially for eshift it must use these frames to create the new interim frames for smoothing. Like I said, with a true 4K image, not even the highest end PC processors can do this yet. It could also be that I was sending a 60p image and I know that limits more things you can choose from in the menus as well.

post #2995 of 2997 Unread Today, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
With a 1080p 3D signal it will work, but not for a 4K input. It will work with eshift enabled if the source is 1080p, however, and I think this is what you mean. The reason behind this is because it applies the frame interpolation prior to scaling the image. When fed a 4K signal you cannot use CMD. The same thing is true for the Sony 4K units. You can only use Motion Flow (their term for CFI) if you let the projector scale the image to 4K and the reasoning is the same. It creates the intermediary frames prior to scaling them. True 4K creative frame interpolation takes a LOT of IPC power from a processor. It will be a couple more years before we see this feature for a true 4K signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
The brochure says "This function works for 4K and 3D images to recreate clear and smooth movement in the picture".

Anyways, it seems it would be interesting to perform a test on if the frame interpolation quality suffers when fed 4K signal. If nobody beats me to it, I'll do some casual testing using the 4K upscale from my Oppo this coming holiday week.

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #2996 of 2997 Unread Today, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The brochure says "This function works for 4K and 3D images to recreate clear and smooth movement in the picture".

Anyways, it seems it would be interesting to perform a test on if the frame interpolation quality suffers when fed 4K signal. If nobody beats me to it, I'll do some casual testing using the 4K upscale from my Oppo this coming holiday week.
I stand corrected. But not all 4K signals are supported. The manual also says:

I think it only works with a 4K 24/30p signal. And then again, I would imagine it's like I said, it interpolates the two 1080p frame it creates from the original 4K frame for the e-shift process. The technicality that the micro-displays are 1080p allow this to happen because in the end the image still needs to be 1080p for it to be displayed. Not even the most powerful consumer PC's can do real time 4K CFI. They either don't have enough IPC or the software hasn't matured enough. I think its the latter. The Sony 4K's cannot do this and they have a more robust video processor than the JVC does. Not that this somehow trivializes the picture quality because it doesn't. I just think it's a good idea to point out that the JVc doesn't do 4K interpolation, just 1080p. That is still a couple years off until there's a processing specific chipset designed to do this type of workload. Don't be surprised when JVC releases a true 4K projector next year and, like the Sony 4K units, CFI isn't available with a true 4K input.

Last edited by Seegs108; Today at 03:59 PM.
post #2997 of 2997 Unread Today, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Yes, I'm using the iscan mini and 4k60 doesn't allow cmd and cms to be used
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page