Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 108 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 223Likes
post #3211 of 3238 Old 01-28-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

JVC is a class act. I have been using their projectors in my reference review system for years. My advice would be to work with your dealer in conjunction with JVC for warranty problems.

Regards,
Did both, gotta send it in. Bought through AVS, but past 30 days, tried to get JVC to replace it instead of repair, but no go. Not that they are in the wrong, but it would have been a lot nicer and easier! I hate the idea of having it opened up, especially since my issue is with the iris so not a good place for dust or other contaminants to get to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3238 Old 01-28-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Greetings,

JVC is a class act. I have been using their projectors in my reference review system for years. My advice would be to work with your dealer in conjunction with JVC for warranty problems.

Regards,
I was hoping this would be the case with the AVS but I was directed to JVC who had me contact the third party repair facility.
post #3213 of 3238 Old 01-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man View Post
Thanks, JVC recommended I send it to the repair center which I have today. I suppose I paid more for the 4910, might as well use the warranty. I'm a tad concerned with this, I hope it works out.

The pic attached is typical when it freezes. It will stay like this even if I'm able to shut it down via the remote and restart. Only thing that fixes the issues is shutting down and unplugging then restarting.
I had that exact issue along with occasional non-responsive remote; new motherboard was required on my RS-45.
post #3214 of 3238 Old 01-28-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post
I had that exact issue along with occasional non-responsive remote; new motherboard was required on my RS-45.
Did JVC have you ship your unit to Mendtronix for repair? If so, what was the turn around time? When I spoke to the engineer at JVC he thought the same. I did let Medntronix know this, I hope this is the issue.
post #3215 of 3238 Old 01-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Did JVC have you ship your unit to Mendtronix for repair? If so, what was the turn around time? When I spoke to the engineer at JVC he thought the same. I did let Medntronix know this, I hope this is the issue.
I live only 40 miles from their HQ here in San Diego. Turn around time was 2-3 weeks.
post #3216 of 3238 Old 01-28-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post
I live only 40 miles from their HQ here in San Diego. Turn around time was 2-3 weeks.
That makes sense. The engineer told me to ship to CA for repair because they have motherboards and such in stock. However, I was directed to the repair facility in PA, which will probably add weeks to my turn around time...positive thoughts...
post #3217 of 3238 Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 630
I know, not the correct thread, but more traffic in this one. Have a couple RS57 B-stocks coming in. Call us for details.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3218 of 3238 Old 01-28-2015, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4 metr 30 san
how many inches as possible to make
post #3219 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Bad image on start-up.

This happened on my brand new JVC 4910 tonight. Only has 10 hrs on it. I killed the power and restarted and it went away. Whew! Any thoughts.

Additional info: my AVR is Denon X4100W. It was set on Cable. Was changing it to BluRay. I have a monitor connected to HDMI2. So that I can make/see changes and other setup without starting PJ. I had seen that it was on Cable with monitor image. Started BluRay. Was seeing BluRay on Monitor, and then turned on PJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	509434  

Last edited by sterlingma1; Yesterday at 01:06 AM. Reason: more information
post #3220 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'd have tried changing the input on the projector first rather than killing the power (maybe you did, but didn't say?).

I've seen occasional glitches like this on my X35 (getting an X500 this weekend) but it's always been something downstream like my AVR or Lumagen VP. On occasion I've turned everything else off (bar the projector) and restarted then it's all come back on fine.

If you have to kill the power again I would wait at least 15 minutes before restarting it to let the lamp cool naturally as the fan won't do it's usual cool down.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3221 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDMI handshake

[QUOTE=sterlingma1;31274834]This happened on my brand new JVC 4910 tonight. Only has 10 hrs on it. I killed the power and restarted and it went away. Whew! Any thoughts.

Additional info: my AVR is Denon X4100W. It was set on Cable. Was changing it to BluRay. I have a monitor connected to HDMI2. So that I can make/see changes and other setup without starting PJ. I had seen that it was on Cable with monitor image. Started BluRay. Was seeing BluRay on Monitor, and then turned on PJ.[/

More of the same thing. Three software changes in one year or is it four and the problem remains. If there ever was a white elephant these JVC units clearly take first place.
post #3222 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingma1 View Post
This happened on my brand new JVC 4910 tonight. Only has 10 hrs on it. I killed the power and restarted and it went away. Whew! Any thoughts.

Additional info: my AVR is Denon X4100W. It was set on Cable. Was changing it to BluRay. I have a monitor connected to HDMI2. So that I can make/see changes and other setup without starting PJ. I had seen that it was on Cable with monitor image. Started BluRay. Was seeing BluRay on Monitor, and then turned on PJ.
My advice, return it ASAP. See my post above. Mine never stopped doing that. Just shipped my unit in for repair.
post #3223 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post
I'd have tried changing the input on the projector first rather than killing the power (maybe you did, but didn't say?).

I've seen occasional glitches like this on my X35 (getting an X500 this weekend) but it's always been something downstream like my AVR or Lumagen VP. On occasion I've turned everything else off (bar the projector) and restarted then it's all come back on fine.

If you have to kill the power again I would wait at least 15 minutes before restarting it to let the lamp cool naturally as the fan won't do it's usual cool down.
Greetings,

I agree that a little more troubleshooting prior to a hard restart might have been in order. The fact you that you powered up the projector while the monitor was powered on (with both connected to the two HDMI outputs on your Denon) could easily account for an HDMI start up glitch on the projector.

I also have both a 1080p LCD monitor and my 4910 connected to the HDMI outputs on my Marantz AVP however I never use them simultaneously.

Should it happen again, try forcing another HDMI handshake (switching inputs on the Denon) or switching from one input to the other on the JVC.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #3224 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

I agree that a little more troubleshooting prior to a hard restart might have been in order. The fact you that you powered up the projector while the monitor was powered on (with both connected to the two HDMI outputs on your Denon) could easily account for an HDMI start up glitch on the projector.

I also have both a 1080p LCD monitor and my 4910 connected to the HDMI outputs on my Marantz AVP however I never use them simultaneously.

Should it happen again, try forcing another HDMI handshake (switching inputs on the Denon) or switching from one input to the other on the JVC.

Regards,
He probably had to hard restart (if he actually did that) because when the unit does this, it sometimes stops responding to the remote. The problem with this issue is that it occurs once every 10 or so usages. Just once you think everything is fine, it messes up. Again mine would stay frozen until the unit was removed from power then all was fine for another 10 or so sessions.
post #3225 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
He probably had to hard restart (if he actually did that) because when the unit does this, it sometimes stops responding to the remote. The problem with this issue is that it occurs once every 10 or so usages. Just once you think everything is fine, it messes up. Again mine would stay frozen until the unit was removed from power then all was fine for another 10 or so sessions.
Greetings,

Okay. He made no mention of the projector being non-responsive and looking at his photo and yours the issue looked different.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #3226 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

Okay. He made no mention of the projector being non-responsive and looking at his photo and yours the issue looked different.

Regards,

Very true, but I have experienced freeze ups that looked like his. Except the top portion of my screen was solid green and the bottom was garbled like the left side of his photo. The pic I posted is generally how it looked when mine froze but there were a few variations with part of screen being solid green.
post #3227 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Be sure to turn off any 4K scaling in the AVR or BD Player. Set the AVR to native/pass-through. Set the BD player to also output native. See if that solves the problem.

If you want to use the 4K features in the AVR or BD player, then you need to look at upgrading to a 4K compatible HDMI Extender/balun, preferably a HDBaseT design with power supplies on both the transmitter and receiver.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; Yesterday at 06:54 PM.
post #3228 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

I had tried changing inputs from the AVR with no success. I have been using the monitor and JVC both on several times before with no problem. For clarification of the power cycling. The remote was able to allow me to do the standard shutdown. I waited until the unit had cooled down (red light stops flashing).
post #3229 of 3238 Old Today, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with Calibration

Hello,
I am trying to make a color profile with the JVC calibration software specific to my model using the Spyder 4 Elite. Does anyone have any recommendations for color profile setting? Thank you.
post #3230 of 3238 Old Today, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

Has anyone had any experience purchasing B-Stock JVC projectors?
I am considering purchasing a X500R from a retailers, but there appear to be a number of good deals if I go with a B-Stock projector. I might be able to make the jump up to the 700R.

Anyone have any advice / thoughts?
post #3231 of 3238 Old Today, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudler View Post
Hello,

Has anyone had any experience purchasing B-Stock JVC projectors?
I am considering purchasing a X500R from a retailers, but there appear to be a number of good deals if I go with a B-Stock projector. I might be able to make the jump up to the 700R.

Anyone have any advice / thoughts?
Sent you a PM. Confirm if the projector has a warranty and how long the warranty is good for. Our B-stock 4910's come with 3 year warranty.

post #3232 of 3238 Old Today, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Sent you a PM. Confirm if the projector has a warranty and how long the warranty is good for. Our B-stock 4910's come with 3 year warranty.
Mike, sent you an email!
post #3233 of 3238 Old Today, 02:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Mike, sent you an email!
Got it and responded.
Have a good weekend Bill.

post #3234 of 3238 Old Today, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
I just sent my JVC projector into Mendtronix. You can post your experience and read about mine and others using their service:

Mendtronix Repair/Parts/Lamps Center-Reviews and Feedback

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #3235 of 3238 Old Today, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
That's outstanding warranty coverage. I was thinking the standard warranty was 2 years?

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
post #3236 of 3238 Old Today, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
That's outstanding warranty coverage. I was thinking the standard warranty was 2 years?
Any JVC model that ends in 10 gets a longer warranty. In this case the RS4910 gets an extra year over the RS49 and X500 (both of which are the same projector internally). The RS6710 gets two extra years (five years total) over the the RS76 and X900 both of which get three years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: B&W Bowers and Wilkins HTM-4 Diamond Center Speaker - $1649
For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $999
My Crazy Projector Journey!

Last edited by Seegs108; Today at 03:07 PM.
post #3237 of 3238 Old Today, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Any JVC model that ends in 10 gets a longer warranty. In this case the RS4910 gets an extra year over the RS49 and X500 (both of which are the same projector internally). The RS6710 gets two extra years (five years total) over the the RS76 and X900 both of which get three years.
I have the 700 and after my recent repair experience, I would really love to have another year or two of warranty coverage (mine being 2 years). I am a JVC convert after living with my 700 over the last year and would love to get 4 years or so out of it (worry free). I know there are companies that offer extended warranties when you first purchase a new projector. Are their reputable companies that offer extended warranties after purchase (but before the JVC warranty runs out)?

Would love to hear about any options

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #3238 of 3238 Unread Today, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I shipped my JVC RS-4910 to Mendtronix on 1-28-2015 two day UPS airmail AM double boxed. My unit was freezing/locking up. My unit arrived to Pittsburgh Mendtronix location, I live in Michigan. I'm not pleased that they don't ship back in the original box. Since I double boxed, I requested the original box be used and asked they ship back to me double boxed as well. We will see how that goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page