AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Sweet. Thanks Mike!

For the Mac folks out there, I connected to my old RS4810 using my retina MacBook Pro and a USB-RS232 adaptor while running Windows 7 in a Parallels virtual machine. It worked perfectly and I see no reason why it wouldn't work in this case as well.

For you Mac users: for the price of parallels (or bootcamp) + Windows 7 + some extra memory (virtual machines suck memory bigtime), you can go to a pawn shop and buy a laptop with Windows 7 already installed! (I'm not griping, that's what I'm doing...) and you'll have a machine that can do all your firmware updates, your Anthem ARC calibrations, Chromapure/Calman calibrations, and the 100 other applications that just don't support Mac yet. Oh, and add "allowing you to control JVC projectors" as I don't think there's any other way to do it (please correct me if I'm wrong but the app. isn't working/speaking directly to the pj like it does with Marantz/Denon control app)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

This is the same set up Lumagen owners use for updating their Lumagens. A laptop for downloading the software from the internet and then a USB to RS232 converter into a USB port on the laptop and then a null modem cable to the Lumagen (here the projector). Eassy pezy Any friend who owns a lumagen would have it already and could easily do the update for you provided he/she has Windows 7.. The USB converter and null modem cable might set you back $50 or so. An all in one cable (having a converter chip built into the cable) might set you back $30 or even less. And if you a really a cheap SOB and are going to bitch about the $30 bucks, you can always send the cable back after you use it once. Or start a club of JVC owners to split the cost with the problem and simply mail the cable to the next club member. the cables are small and light and mailing costs would be under $5 bucks. Why am I suggesting this inanity. because people will start posting about how somebody else should pay for the cable (specifically JVC), not them. Suck it up. You will someday use the cable for something else or borrow one from a Lumagen owner.

If this cable works it's only $8.41 and I am assuming that one can just connect it directly from the laptop to the projector.

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Serial-Converter-Connects-205146/dp/B0007OWNYA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389630539&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+to+serial+adapter

Comments?
post #453 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Not clear if that's a null modem wired 232 end. If not you will need a mechanical adapter for the 232 end. It also looks like some other more expensive cables might be easier to use not needing special driver loads etc.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #454 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Not clear if that's a null modem wired 232 end. If not you will need a mechanical adapter for the 232 end. It also looks like some other more expensive cables might be easier to use not needing special driver loads etc.

My bad. From the manual it seemed like the projector has a female port but I just checked it and it has a male RS232C port which means that a single cable solution will need to have USB on one end and a female null model cable on the other end.

How about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Modem-Serial-Adapter-ICUSB232FTN/dp/B008634VJY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389633306&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+to+null+modem

BTW I am personally very annoyed that they won't use the ethernet connection for this update. I spent quite some time running a 25+ feet long ethernet cable from the drop ceiling in my basement hoping that it will be used for firmware updates.
post #455 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

For you Mac users: for the price of parallels (or bootcamp) + Windows 7 + some extra memory (virtual machines suck memory bigtime), you can go to a pawn shop and buy a laptop with Windows 7 already installed! (I'm not griping, that's what I'm doing...) and you'll have a machine that can do all your firmware updates, your Anthem ARC calibrations, Chromapure/Calman calibrations, and the 100 other applications that just don't support Mac yet. Oh, and add "allowing you to control JVC projectors" as I don't think there's any other way to do it (please correct me if I'm wrong but the app. isn't working/speaking directly to the pj like it does with Marantz/Denon control app)
I suppose that's possible, but Boot Camp is free and part of OS X so if you go the Boot Camp route you only need a copy of Windows. No extra memory is needed since Windows will run natively using Boot Camp. YMMV but this sounds like a less painful solution that shopping for a POS laptop at a seedy pawn shop. wink.gif
post #456 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Sweet. Thanks Mike!

For the Mac folks out there, I connected to my old RS4810 using my retina MacBook Pro and a USB-RS232 adaptor while running Windows 7 in a Parallels virtual machine. It worked perfectly and I see no reason why it wouldn't work in this case as well.

Can you share the items I need to purchase exactly (the adapters+cables, I'm ok on the software side smile.gif)? I know we can't link here but exact names that I can search for on Amazon would be helpful.

Thanks.
post #457 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Oracle VirtualBox is completely free.
And you can use a trial version of Windows (no need to keep it update the update, right?)
post #458 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks, but this is for Cromapure; there is also a guide for HCFR?
post #459 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB16 View Post

Thanks, but this is for Cromapure; there is also a guide for HCFR?

Scroll down the page and the HCFR is there.

James Reid:D
post #460 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

My bad. From the manual it seemed like the projector has a female port but I just checked it and it has a male RS232C port which means that a single cable solution will need to have USB on one end and a female null model cable on the other end.

How about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Modem-Serial-Adapter-ICUSB232FTN/dp/B008634VJY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389633306&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+to+null+modem

BTW I am personally very annoyed that they won't use the ethernet connection for this update. I spent quite some time running a 25+ feet long ethernet cable from the drop ceiling in my basement hoping that it will be used for firmware updates.

yep. that's the same one someone else posted in another thread.

Re annoyance, don't be. everything you might need some day can't be predicted in advance. So you have to take your lap top to the projector and do it from there. really no big deal and nothing to get annoyed about. I am not saying you are not annoyed, just don't let it bother you too much. Life is short enough

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #461 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Darn! I have a RS232 to USB cable for my DVDO Duo, but it's not a null mode cable. Time to check Monoprice for an adapter,
post #462 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm lucky enough not to have any of the HDMI issues that I've seen reported throughout this thread, but last night I noticed a flickering that was present on two different sources (Apple TV and HP computer - both through a Yamaha receiver). Any idea what might be causing that or how I might resolve the problem? Thanks!
post #463 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:

yep. that's the same one someone else posted in another thread.

Re annoyance, don't be. everything you might need some day can't be predicted in advance. So you have to take your lap top to the projector and do it from there. really no big deal and nothing to get annoyed about. I am not saying you are not annoyed, just don't let it bother you too much. Life is short enough

ok smile.gif
post #464 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well-I un-boxed my X500R. It was double boxed and although it doesn't look like the inner boxed was dropped, the Styrofoam packing was pretty badly compressed and broken on the right side of the projector. (Looking from the front) There appears to be no physical damage and I just fired it up and ran it for about an hour. No source plugged in yet-Just basic sizing and focus plus exploring the menu system. Looks like it's OK although seeing the Styrofoam all busted when I first opened it didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. How do I check to make sure there's no major pixel alignment issue? Also, I run my Mitsubishi HC4000 in low lamp mode. My room is totally light controlled, so I switched to low on the 500. Do most people run in normal or low with a light controlled room?
post #465 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Well-I un-boxed my X500R. It was double boxed and although it doesn't look like the inner boxed was dropped, the Styrofoam packing was pretty badly compressed and broken on the right side of the projector. (Looking from the front) There appears to be no physical damage and I just fired it up and ran it for about an hour. No source plugged in yet-Just basic sizing and focus plus exploring the menu system. Looks like it's OK although seeing the Styrofoam all busted when I first opened it didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. How do I check to make sure there's no major pixel alignment issue? Also, I run my Mitsubishi HC4000 in low lamp mode. My room is totally light controlled, so I switched to low on the 500. Do most people run in normal or low with a light controlled room?

Sorry to hear that. I run mine in low mode with the aperture at 7 and auto iris 2. In the menu under Installation there is a Pixel adjust, I only used the "Fine" setting while adjusting and found going up close to the screen helped really fine tune the convergence.

I should point out, i have a blacked out room and my PJ is mounted on a shelf that is vertical center to the screen. This helps to increase brightness.

post #466 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

How about this one?

BTW I am personally very annoyed that they won't use the ethernet connection for this update. I spent quite some time running a 25+ feet long Ethernet cable from the drop ceiling in my basement hoping that it will be used for firmware updates.

I agree. This is my first projector purchase since I purchased a Panasonic AE900U back when 1080p cost about as much as4k does now, and it worked flawlessly from the start. I replaced my years old HDMI cable and also ran an Ethernet cable. What hi-fi product in this day and age doesn't push out firmware updates via ethernet? This is a $5000 high end JVC unit, and we have to go out and find an old technology cable to use a serial port? I think my old 60" CRT rear projection TV that someone is currently using as boat anchor had a similar connection. I get updates on my mid-fi Onkyo receiver and Oppo player via firmware all the time, and they are both a few years old. I'm guessing this is not an ordinary firmware update, and maybe that explains this out of the norm type of update? Maybe it is reflashing the software as opposed to just an update?

Are there any folks in Dallas that have received their projector, yet? I'm still awaiting mine, and every week they tell me it will arrive in few days, and it does not. Hopefully JVC is updating the units that have not hit the shelves so those of us waiting do not have to jack with spending an extra $50 bucks on a cable we'll hopefully only use once..
post #467 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Do most people run in normal or low with a light controlled room?

Depends on screen size/gain and your brightness preference.

Noah
post #468 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Same experience with packaging. My unit does not want to turn on all of the time without me unplugging and then plugging back in.
post #469 of 3031 Old 01-13-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1006 View Post

Same experience with packaging. My unit does not want to turn on all of the time without me unplugging and then plugging back in.

Yours sounds more like the firmware issue.
post #470 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Here is the official procedure for the update: MK6UpdateProcedure20140113ProBundled.pdf 400k .pdf file
Here is a link to the update: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/software_dow.jsp?model_id=MDL102252&feature_id=17
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MK6UpdateProcedure20140113ProBundled.pdf (400.0 KB, 82 views)

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #471 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Why does the update not list the X500,700, & 900? The update is nowhere on the Procision site as well.
post #472 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did anyone did the update? Is it allowed from JVC that customer did itself? I didn't read that customers had to bring their devices to JVC service?

Do you know if the same update will work on german DLA-X500R projectors with firmware r1178?
post #473 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Failure.

I just tried the update. I got a "failed to auto baud" error when I tried to execute the first update step using the Flash Magic program. I'm using a MacBook Pro running Windows 7 in a Parallels virtual machine and I'm using the Startech USB-to-serial adapter. I'll probably try ordering the adapter that JVC recommends unless someone figures out this issue.

**UPDATE - I ordered the Tripp-Lite adapter and cross-cable that JVC validated the update with and I'll have them tomorrow. I'll update if I have any success.**
post #474 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:

Why does the update not list the X500,700, & 900? The update is nowhere on the Procision site as well.

It is the same update. For those that have not performed this type of update, before, I would wait a few days until people that are used to this sort of thing, post about installing the update. Also if you are not experienced, I would consider taking your projector to someone that is used to doing this sort of thing.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #475 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered my cable for the firmware update will be here Thursday.

http://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-ICUSB232FTN-1-Port-Serial-Adapter/dp/B008634VJY/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img

I just hope this is the right one.

post #476 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

I ordered my cable for the firmware update will be here Thursday.

http://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-ICUSB232FTN-1-Port-Serial-Adapter/dp/B008634VJY/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img

I just hope this is the right one.
I tried that cable today and it didn't work. Now, I'm not totally sure my problem was with the cable, but I have a feeling that's what it was. I ordered the cable that JVC specifically recommends today and I'll have it tomorrow.
post #477 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried that cable today and it didn't work. Now, I'm not totally sure my problem was with the cable, but I have a feeling that's what it was. I ordered the cable that JVC specifically recommends today and I'll have it tomorrow.

Dam, should have done more research. What is the cable they officially recommend.

post #478 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Look in the install instructions for the firmware. I am not relooking but the general concept is a USB to RS232 converter AND a null modem cable. They could be combined into one unit if the cable has a built in chip that gets power from the USB port on the computer. my unit is a separate converter and a null modem cable. Any null modem cable will work. It the other half that may or may not work.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #479 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Look in the install instructions for the firmware. I am not relooking but the general concept is a USB to RS232 converter AND a null modem cable. They could be combined into one unit if the cable has a built in chip that gets power from the USB port on the computer. my unit is a separate converter and a null modem cable. Any null modem cable will work. It the other half that may or may not work.

Any chance you can link to all needed ingridients from Amazon.com? Both a USB->RS232 converter plus the actual cable that will do the trick? This is incredibly confusing... Thanks.
post #480 of 3031 Old 01-14-2014, 02:11 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Dam, should have done more research. What is the cable they officially recommend.

This is what is written in the PDF instructions.
USB-to-RS232C adapter (required only for PCs without a built-in RS-232C serial
port). A quality adapter is required that is capable of both positive and negative voltage levels. Some cheaper adapters won’t work since they provide only positive voltage levels. *Tested with Tripp Lite Keyspan (model#: USA-19HS)
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page