post #541 of 2997 Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

Was that a MONK reference?? you just earned yourself a new sign of respect my friend smile.gif.

Yes. There was a Monk episode where the inspected by slip in a piece of clothing was central to the plot. But when I was kid, everything my Mom purchased for me clothing wise with a pocket had an inspected by slip.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2997 Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
my original post: Help! I did the firmware update and everything went okay. I watched several movies last night. Today I went to watch something, and I get nothing but a blue screen. The 4910 gets its signal from my Denon receiver. So I tried switching HDMI cables. Nothing but blue screen. I then took the HDMI cable and hooked it directly into my Oppo 93 player-blue screen. Projector says "No input." Same with HDMI 2. I've never encountered this before, has anyone else? I am getting very frustrated.

I powered down last night and left it unplugged all night as suggested and still I have nothing but a blue screen. I've changed inputs and chords to every combination but the projector is getting absolutely no signal, with 2 different high-end HDMI chords. I plugged both chords into my PS3, my Dish DVR, and my Oppo 93, nothing, the projector says "no signal" and just a blue screen. The on-scren menus on the projector work and everything associated with that but I can't get a signal at all. The night before I watched two movies after I successfully completed the firmware update. Should I call JVC now? I am about to give up with this thing.
post #543 of 2997 Old 01-21-2014, 03:23 PM

Ok, I just hooked up my old Epson1080, and everything works fine, so it is the fault of the 4910. It is not getting any signal. Firmware update went beautifully on Sunday, watched a few movies and then yesterday blue screen.
post #544 of 2997 Old 01-22-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post

Ok, I just hooked up my old Epson1080, and everything works fine, so it is the fault of the 4910. It is not getting any signal. Firmware update went beautifully on Sunday, watched a few movies and then yesterday blue screen.

Is anyone else having problems after the new firmware update, or are there people that can report their PJ's are working great after update? My 4910 arrives this week with the firmware update already applied. I'm a little concerned that mntwister has what appears to be a bricked PJ (for now at least) since a hard reset is not working, and nobody has replied.
post #545 of 2997 Old 01-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My X500 is working good and without HDMI problems since the update to r1210 Firmware.
post #546 of 2997 Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Liked: 11
I have not had any issues since upgrading my 4910.
post #547 of 2997 Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Same, issue disappeared after update.

James Reid:D
post #548 of 2997 Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 AM

Did anyone upgrade from the 4810?I'm really considering upgrading to the 4910 ,even though I told myself I wouldn't untill a cheaper 4k projector came out.please let me know the diffference in contrast and motion handling.thanks
post #549 of 2997 Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMcD View Post

Is anyone else having problems after the new firmware update, or are there people that can report their PJ's are working great after update? My 4910 arrives this week with the firmware update already applied. I'm a little concerned that mntwister has what appears to be a bricked PJ (for now at least) since a hard reset is not working, and nobody has replied.

Seems like something is wrong with my HDMI board, or something else. Across the other threads, most people had the firmware update fix the issue. It did with mine for one evening then the next day forward blue screen only, no signal whatsoever. I guess I got unlucky on this one.
post #550 of 2997 Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSUNBRN View Post

I'm lucky enough not to have any of the HDMI issues that I've seen reported throughout this thread, but last night I noticed a flickering that was present on two different sources (Apple TV and HP computer - both through a Yamaha receiver). Any idea what might be causing that or how I might resolve the problem? Thanks!

I'm still getting a lot of flicker, especially when I use my computer and on static white screens (e.g., message boards, itunes, google, etc.). The problem seems less noticeable when I use apple tv. Anyone got any ideas? I called JVC support and they said to start with the firmware update which I have since completed. Maybe I should call back...
post #551 of 2997 Old 01-22-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSUNBRN View Post

I'm still getting a lot of flicker, especially when I use my computer and on static white screens (e.g., message boards, itunes, google, etc.). The problem seems less noticeable when I use apple tv. Anyone got any ideas? I called JVC support and they said to start with the firmware update which I have since completed. Maybe I should call back...
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but have you tried switching the lamp from low to high (or high to low)?

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #552 of 2997 Old 01-24-2014, 06:59 AM

Liked: 24
What's the recommended out of the box color profile? I'm wondering if Natural looks better than Cinema for me. What's closest to REC709 of these two?
post #553 of 2997 Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Greetings,

On an unrelated note to the typical HDMI issues being discussed, I cannot get a picture from my old Sony CX995v DVD jukebox on the 4910. When I switch to the Sony all I get is a black screen via HDMI. This is going through my Marantz AVP to the projector. This setup has worked with no issue over the various AVPs and projectors I have used over the years in including most recently the RS55.

I tried various things like switching e-shift off and running an HDMI cable directly from the Sony to the projector with the same result. I am out of ideas and have decided for now to run a component video cable to the Marantz and have it convert/scale to the JVC.

The connection from my Sony 960 Blu-ray jukebox works fine. Not sure what the problem is and although I don't use the DVD jukebox all that often I can't imagine what the issue could be.

Thoughts anyone? confused.gif

(I posted this in the HDMI issues thread as well)

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #554 of 2997 Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM

Hi,

I'm considering to buy a X500. But I'm puzzling with the projector placement. According the specs it can do a vertical lens shift up to 80%.
But it is not clear to me how that is defined. Is 100% a shift amount of a full screen height? Thus with a 100% up shift the lower edge of the picture will be a half screen height above the lens?
I have seen a picture where it seems that with a 100% shift the lower edge is on the same height as the lens. Which interpretation is correct?

Can some one confirm the amount of vertical lens shift? Thanks.
post #555 of 2997 Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor Jansen View Post

Hi,

I'm considering to buy a X500. But I'm puzzling with the projector placement. According the specs it can do a vertical lens shift up to 80%.
But it is not clear to me how that is defined. Is 100% a shift amount of a full screen height? Thus with a 100% up shift the lower edge of the picture will be a half screen height above the lens?
I have seen a picture where it seems that with a 100% shift the lower edge is on the same height as the lens. Which interpretation is correct?

Can some one confirm the amount of vertical lens shift? Thanks.

That is 80% from center of the screen and that is assuming you do not use any horizontal lens shift. An easy way to calculate is: image height multiplied by 0.30 = max vertical lens shift available, when no horizontal shift is used. That would be the max height for center of lens above image.
Sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #556 of 2997 Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mike,

As we approach the maximum vertical lens shift does the image become less sharp? I have never seen any testing on this aspect of projectors. That is one of the big problems that I am having since I am about to purchase my first projector. Maybe the JVC looks great when it is using zero lens shift but maybe even with a minimal amount of lens shift it starts to look like a $999 projector? I doubt this is the case but it is difficult to understand how one projector would perform vs another in our specific room. Are you aware of any testing or resources that discuss this?
post #557 of 2997 Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

That is 80% from center of the screen and that is assuming you do not use any horizontal lens shift. An easy way to calculate is: image height multiplied by 0.30 = max vertical lens shift available, when no horizontal shift is used. That would be the max height for center of lens above image.
Sent you a PM.

Thus when my screen height is 1 meter, I can shift 0.8 meter up or down. And when shifting up, the lower picture edge can be up to 0,3 meter above my lens (for standard table position)?
post #558 of 2997 Old 01-24-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Thus when my screen height is 1 meter, I can shift 0.8 meter up or down. And when shifting up, the lower picture edge can be up to 0,3 meter above my lens (for standard table position)?

Yes, exactly. The 0.3 comes from (0.8 - 0.5) which is the 80% maximum shift amount minus the 50% shift needed to line up the bottom (or top) of the image with the lens.

And again, this assumes you are using zero horizontal lens shift.
post #559 of 2997 Old 01-25-2014, 01:52 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaarbjerg
Does anyone know how to control these with iOS app? App says it does not support this model. On JVC site the new line is not listed as compatible with the app, however it is clearly stated under specific models (RS4910 in my case) That they can be controlled from iOS app.
pottscb likes this.
post #560 of 2997 Old 01-25-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi,
Im using quite a bit of vertical shift (half of possible shift) and its still super sharp. Its a big lens so a little shift will have no perceivable effect on sharpness.

Anyone having issues after the update should call JVC support listed a few pages back.

Watched Despicable Me 2 in 3D last night with brightness affecting controls maxed (crosstalk canceler, animation mode, brightness gamma, etc)...it was brighter than the most recent IMAX 3D movie I saw and any 3D movie from a theater...I saw a minimal amount of ghosting in the first 5 minutes on credits and contrasty boundaries...after a while, I stopped seeing it. Very satisfying experience overall, though made my eyes tired (using a muscle in a new way usually does). Guess I'll just need to watch more 3D, eh?
post #561 of 2997 Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaarbjerg View Post

Does anyone know how to control these with iOS app? App says it does not support this model. On JVC site the new line is not listed as compatible with the app, however it is clearly stated under specific models (RS4910 in my case) That they can be controlled from iOS app.

I had the same question. The documentation is very poor regarding this. I think it has to be setup and configured via PC, and then controlled via iOS app but again, documentation is weak regarding this. It would be very useful for me as mine projects through a 6 in. porthole and the IR sensor barley sees remote control commands. Any help is appreciated.
Vaarbjerg likes this.
post #562 of 2997 Old 01-25-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

The current app on JVC's site controls last year's models, but not the new models that just came out. JVC will have a new app available soon. The new app will also work with Android.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #563 of 2997 Old 01-25-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The current app on JVC's site controls last year's models, but not the new models that just came out. JVC will have a new app available soon. The new app will also work with Android.

Sounds interesting. I don't have cable ran to my projector area-Will it be possible to hook up via a wireless router/switch? Most everything in my house is now running off of a wireless network.
post #564 of 2997 Old 01-25-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
For those of you still struggling with the firmware update, I can confirm that this cable DOES NOT work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008634VJY/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This combination works fine. I just used it to perform the update without any issues:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VYJRY/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067SCH/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #565 of 2997 Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

just played BF4 with my PC and it was pretty decent. lag was not really noticeable. Pretty surprising, COD might be a different matter as it is more twitchy. I had the e-shift on, will try it later with it off. The CMD is super good on the PJ. I normally game on a 39in Seiki 4K set at 1920X1080 @120hz, which is better but i like driving the tanks and Jets on the big screen Will report more when I have done more gaming.

post #566 of 2997 Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

just played BF4 with my PC and it was pretty decent. lag was not really noticeable. Pretty surprising, COD might be a different matter as it is more twitchy. I had the e-shift on, will try it later with it off. The CMD is super good on the PJ. I normally game on a 39in Seiki 4K set at 1920X1080 @120hz, which is better but i like driving the tanks and Jets on the big screen Will report more when I have done more gaming.

Thanks for information! Do I understand correctly that you have Clear Motion Drive and 4K e-shift enabled during gaming and the lag was still not noticeable? That would be super.
post #567 of 2997 Old 01-28-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Do you use 3D glasses? Any ghosting?

post #568 of 2997 Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for information! Do I understand correctly that you have Clear Motion Drive and 4K e-shift enabled during gaming and the lag was still not noticeable? That would be super.

Yes I had all of that enabled, but I should temper your excitement, it was pretty good for a projector. I still rather play on my monitor and a fast twitch game might be a totally different thing. I was surprised but not blown away. This PJ is really all about 2D movies. For that it is superb, sublime, outstanding.

post #569 of 2997 Old 01-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weblogic View Post

Do you use 3D glasses? Any ghosting?

I have tried one movie in 3D for this PJ and I lasted 3 min. I am super sensitive to 3D and have tried every kind under the sun, with out success. So I am the last person to say either way in regard to 3D.

post #570 of 2997 Old 01-28-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have tried one movie in 3D for this PJ and I lasted 3 min. I am super sensitive to 3D and have tried every kind under the sun, with out success. So I am the last person to say either way in regard to 3D.

A perfect JVC candidate. smile.gif

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page