Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #631 of 1975 Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I think that is a poor source to tell if there is additional grain added. Go with something new or an animated title. The US blu-ray of The Fifth Element is very noisy to begin with. Pop in something like Elysium or Oblivion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1975 Old 02-06-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I think that is a poor source to tell if there is additional grain added. Go with something new or an animated title. The US blu-ray of The Fifth Element is very noisy to begin with. Pop in something like Elysium or Oblivion.

Just going by what previously looked really good on my $1200 Mitsubishi HC4000.
post #633 of 1975 Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Back (Primary) seating row right at 12.5' eyes to screen.

Hmmm... Are you sure you're seeing the weave and not something else? Perhaps some noise in the picture from that wireless HDMI transmitter or something else in the equipment chain? My front row viewing distance is exactly 12.5' from my 141.3" 2.35 Seymour Centerstage XD screen as well and I don't see the weave at that distance with 20/15 vision and what I consider to be a pretty critical eye. Even looking at the Olympic footage tonight with all the white snow looks really clean. Between that and and your complaints about the poor picture quality when viewing the Harry Potter movies (which usually really show off the black level performance), it sure sounds like something atypical is going on in your setup. I would absolutely be hooking up a standard HDMI cable to see if your wireless solution is having a detrimental impact on your picture. Please let us know what you find out.
post #634 of 1975 Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggleRock View Post

Hmmm... Are you sure you're seeing the weave and not something else? Perhaps some noise in the picture from that wireless HDMI transmitter or something else in the equipment chain? My front row viewing distance is exactly 12.5' from my 141.3" 2.35 Seymour Centerstage XD screen as well and I don't see the weave at that distance with 20/15 vision and what I consider to be a pretty critical eye. Even looking at the Olympic footage tonight with all the white snow looks really clean. Between that and and your complaints about the poor picture quality when viewing the Harry Potter movies (which usually really show off the black level performance), it sure sounds like something atypical is going on in your setup. I would absolutely be hooking up a standard HDMI cable to see if your wireless solution is having a detrimental impact on your picture. Please let us know what you find out.

I'm sure hoping the wireless HDMI is the problem. If not I got a defective unit.
post #635 of 1975 Old 02-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Finally got my X500R up and running tonight. Bit of a let down-Probably had my expectations set too high. Had only ran it less than an hour previously to get used to the menu and adjustments when I received it 4 weeks ago. Mainly to make sure it wasn't DOA or major issue. Tested using Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2. Very grainy and dirty screen looking at times. Maybe I need to try different settings.

Disable "clear black". I've found that this feature makes the image look the way you described.
post #636 of 1975 Old 02-07-2014, 07:38 AM

Hello. I have a general focus question... convergence seems to be good, however, and this may be the norm, focus is fairly different across the screen. On my 120 inch 16x9 screen, 13 feet away, ceiling mounted, I have to apply almost no horizontal shift, but I do have to apply a fair amount of vertical shift. When the lens is at its out of the box centered position, the projected image is a little over half off the screen (above it). If I focus for the absolute best in the middle of the screen, the word "Focus" up in the top right corner is really out of focus. Maybe I should post a picture.

What is the rule of thumb here, should it be that way? Should I be expected to focus the corners a little better, ultimately sacrificing some spot on center focus? What kind of focus uniformity are others seeing out there? I don't remember noticing this much lack of focus uniformity before... I always paid more attention to the convergence, which is good.... maybe even really good.

I've read posts about people turning off Eshift and displaying a non-projector generated pattern to focus the screen. How do you use the focus adjustments without the projector pattern being displayed... I don't see separate focus + or - buttons on the remote. Thanks for the help.
post #637 of 1975 Old 02-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Liked: 24
Finally... my 140" 2.35:1 with JVC RS4910 + Goldenear speakers + Onyko 818 receiver + Emotiva Amp is complete!!!

(It looks MUCH BETTER with the lights off biggrin.gif)
cardoski likes this.
post #638 of 1975 Old 02-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Curious on hearing from owners who have a 2.4 gain screen and how it performs with the X500/4910.

James Reid:D
post #639 of 1975 Old 02-07-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

Disable "clear black". I've found that this feature makes the image look the way you described.

I'll give that a try. Thanks!
post #640 of 1975 Old 02-07-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post

Hello. I have a general focus question... convergence seems to be good, however, and this may be the norm, focus is fairly different across the screen. On my 120 inch 16x9 screen, 13 feet away, ceiling mounted, I have to apply almost no horizontal shift, but I do have to apply a fair amount of vertical shift. When the lens is at its out of the box centered position, the projected image is a little over half off the screen (above it). If I focus for the absolute best in the middle of the screen, the word "Focus" up in the top right corner is really out of focus. Maybe I should post a picture.

What is the rule of thumb here, should it be that way? Should I be expected to focus the corners a little better, ultimately sacrificing some spot on center focus? What kind of focus uniformity are others seeing out there? I don't remember noticing this much lack of focus uniformity before... I always paid more attention to the convergence, which is good.... maybe even really good.

I've read posts about people turning off Eshift and displaying a non-projector generated pattern to focus the screen. How do you use the focus adjustments without the projector pattern being displayed... I don't see separate focus + or - buttons on the remote. Thanks for the help.
I use a solid green field to focus the image on my RS4910. Turning off eshift allows you to clearly see the individual pixel borders and using green allows you focus the image without worrying about convergence issues messing up your perception of whether the picture is focused.

It sounds like I use almost the exact same amount of lens shift as you do. In theory, focus will be best at the center of the lens and will get worse the farther away from center you go. This theory actually mirrors what I see on my screen when I focus the image -- the top center and middle center of the image are the sharpest and the two bottom corners are least sharp (my projector is ceiling-mounted). This is completely undetectable from my seating position, but if I get up close to the screen, turn eshift off, and use the solid green field, the pixel boundaries are very crisp at the best-focused part of the image and the pixel boundaries in the corners, while still visible, aren't quite as sharp as they are in the center of the screen.

Also, the amount of zoom and lens aperture also affect the focus -- for best focus, close down the aperture as far as you can and for maximum sharpness zoom out (make the picture small) as much as you can. If you're able to use a longer throw and use less zoom, the projected image will pass through the lens closer to its center. If I open up the aperture all the way and try to focus the image, the pixel boundaries become pretty difficult to make out.

Hope this helps!
post #641 of 1975 Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 PM

thank you. It did help. After I turned off Eshift and the test pattern I was able to focus at the pixel level.once I did that it turned out my focus uniformity wasn't as bad as I thought. The picture looks great!
post #642 of 1975 Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM

Liked: 10
Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase the very best PJ @ $5k and this JVC (along w/ maybe Sony VW55ES) are prime candidates. Since I also want to do some gaming (FPS/action/adventure/RPG) as well as movies, has anyone tried the X500 w/ PS4 gaming yet? I notice the input lag spec on front page hasn't been updated but, I was hoping someone may have some experience w/ theirs and can offer some incite. I would hate to purchase and be disappointed w/ online play in games likes BF4/COD. Unfortunately...and oddly, there don't seem to be any reviews yet. I appreciate the advice in advance!
post #643 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_dogg623 View Post

Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase the very best PJ @ $5k and this JVC (along w/ maybe Sony VW55ES) are prime candidates. Since I also want to do some gaming (FPS/action/adventure/RPG) as well as movies, has anyone tried the X500 w/ PS4 gaming yet? I notice the input lag spec on front page hasn't been updated but, I was hoping someone may have some experience w/ theirs and can offer some incite. I would hate to purchase and be disappointed w/ online play in games likes BF4/COD. Unfortunately...and oddly, there don't seem to be any reviews yet. I appreciate the advice in advance!

I'm also curious about lag-time for gaming, as well as 3D performance. In comparison to the Sony 50/55ES, how does this JVC's 3D compare? Thanks!

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #644 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

I did a bit of gaming on my X500 with my PC, it was ok, still way rather game on my monitor. If one is looking at getting the JVC I would expect 2D critical viewing is first and foremost. A much cheaper DLP would serve you far better for gaming and 3D.

As for 2D viewing, well Jaw Dropping is a term overused but on point for the X500.

post #645 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I use a solid green field to focus the image on my RS4910. Turning off eshift allows you to clearly see the individual pixel borders and using green allows you focus the image without worrying about convergence issues messing up your perception of whether the picture is focused.

It sounds like I use almost the exact same amount of lens shift as you do. In theory, focus will be best at the center of the lens and will get worse the farther away from center you go. This theory actually mirrors what I see on my screen when I focus the image -- the top center and middle center of the image are the sharpest and the two bottom corners are least sharp (my projector is ceiling-mounted). This is completely undetectable from my seating position, but if I get up close to the screen, turn eshift off, and use the solid green field, the pixel boundaries are very crisp at the best-focused part of the image and the pixel boundaries in the corners, while still visible, aren't quite as sharp as they are in the center of the screen.

Also, the amount of zoom and lens aperture also affect the focus -- for best focus, close down the aperture as far as you can and for maximum sharpness zoom out (make the picture small) as much as you can. If you're able to use a longer throw and use less zoom, the projected image will pass through the lens closer to its center. If I open up the aperture all the way and try to focus the image, the pixel boundaries become pretty difficult to make out.

Hope this helps!

Wow thanks for the focusing tip, I was using text, but once I put up a green window from my Rec 709 disc i could see my focus was off a touch.

post #646 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 201
AV Science Home Theater Equipment Demo Day, Saturday, February 8th, 2014.
We had 9 AVS forum members turn out for yesterday’s RS4910 / RS57 demo day at my house. I used the settings recommended by Zombie10K to do a quick out of the box optimization of these projectors. We checked convergence with the calibration disk brought by Joe-C on the 4910 – which looked quite good out of the box. We also checked for “ bright corners “ – that was not a problem with this projector either ( and I’ve been told by others this does not seem to be an issue with the new JVC’s in general ). A measurement of the 4910’s brightness ( I had the auto iris on auto 2, manual iris wide open ) gave a pretty uniform reading around 230 lux AEMC CA813 light meter. That’s 937.74 lumens with about 2 or 3 hours on the lamp. On my Stewart Cima Neve screen that’s about 23.5 foot lamberts !

Viewing distance was from 12’ 6” from a 59.5 x 106 x 122 diagonal Stewart Cima Neve screen and a
50.2 x 118 x 128.2 diagonal Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen. I like the lens memory feature a lot – it worked well in my theater on 2 screens !

We toggled eshift on and off to see the difference – I think that having eshift on really makes the picture look outstanding. I couldn’t see pixels with eshift on at all.

We watched a variety of Blu ray material – Oblivion, Pacific Rim, Samsarra, Tron Legacy, Avatar, Sin City, The Art of Flight. In my opinion motion, sharpness, contrast, the overall picture on the 4910 is just outstanding. Pacific Rim’s dark scenes in the battles off Hong Kong near the end certainly looked amazing on the 4910. HDTV looked very good too. A few of the attendees tested the 3D. Joe-C compared the 4910 with his RS45’s 3D – hopefully he will chime in regarding 3D of the current 4910 vs his older JVC. I’m not a 3D fan so I can’t comment myself.
All in all it was great having AVS forum members over to test these new JVC’s - hopefully some of them will chime in with their impressions of these projectors.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #647 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'm the one guy who got bright corners and a dead pixel on his RS4910 then. Lovely. And according to Mike, JVC was unwilling to do an exchange. Sigh.

However, I wonder if I notice bright corners on my projector more because I'm using a 16:9 screen. Honestly, I only see them in extremely, EXTREMELY low APL scenes, and if I used the zoom feature (as opposed to an anamorphic lens) with a scope screen, the bright corners wouldn't even be on the screen.

Regardless, this is the type of thing I hoped that the 4910's "extra QC" would've caught. Maybe (likely?) it's considered acceptable, but there's also some question as to whether the first batch of this year's JVCs even got the added QC because of how quickly they were rushed out the door.
post #648 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The bright corners are something all LCoS based projectors are going to have. All of them have the issue to some extent, some worse than others. As far as dead pixels go, that sucks. I don't think most people have this issue. Feel lucky it's only one dead pixel. I think they say they guarantee to have something like 99.995% of all pixels in good working order so one dead is within their QC process. I think it's what you said and JVC finds this acceptable which is why they aren't willing to do an exchange. Personally I'd be more pissed if I had bad convergence and/or a bad lens that couldn't focus properly. My X90 has one stuck pixel (always on) on the blue LCoS panel. I've only ever noticed it on fixed test patterns, never on actual content. I've heard that stuck pixels can "fix" themselves over time and I'm hoping this is the case. Other than that I can't complain. My lens can focus pixels VERY sharply and convergence is excellent. That Gen 1 e-shift works pretty darn good because of it. smile.gif
Schwa likes this.
post #649 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
I guess where the stuck pixel is also matters. I suppose if I had one near the edge of a screen I would worry about it much. Near the center would piss me off. As for " bright corners " - all of our testing and most of our demo material movie watching was on my 16:9 screen. It would have to be an extremely long fade to black scene for my eyes to adjust enough to see bright corners in normal viewing anyway.

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #650 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I took the Nyrius wireless HDMI out of the loop and put my old Vizio XWH200 which has been working quite well for the last 2.5 years on my Mitsubishi HC4000. I figured newer wireless HDMI tech was in order with the projector upgrade, but that was not the case. The picture looks way better and turning off the "Clear Black" as seanbryan suggested helped as well. The "Fifth Element looks quite good now in spite of another member here saying the US Blue Ray transfer wasn't the best disc to use for testing. I'll try Harry Potter DH2 again now that I feel the poor picture issue I was having out of the box on my X500R has been resolved.
post #651 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

AV Science Home Theater Equipment Demo Day, Saturday, February 8th, 2014.
We had 9 AVS forum members turn out for yesterday’s RS4910 / RS57 demo day at my house. I used the settings recommended by Zombie10K to do a quick out of the box optimization of these projectors. We checked convergence with the calibration disk brought by Joe-C on the 4910 – which looked quite good out of the box. We also checked for “ bright corners “ – that was not a problem with this projector either ( and I’ve been told by others this does not seem to be an issue with the new JVC’s in general ). A measurement of the 4910’s brightness ( I had the auto iris on auto 2, manual iris wide open ) gave a pretty uniform reading around 230 lux AEMC CA813 light meter. That’s 937.74 lumens with about 2 or 3 hours on the lamp. On my Stewart Cima Neve screen that’s about 23.5 foot lamberts !

Viewing distance was from 12’ 6” from a 59.5 x 106 x 122 diagonal Stewart Cima Neve screen and a
50.2 x 118 x 128.2 diagonal Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen. I like the lens memory feature a lot – it worked well in my theater on 2 screens !

We toggled eshift on and off to see the difference – I think that having eshift on really makes the picture look outstanding. I couldn’t see pixels with eshift on at all.

We watched a variety of Blu ray material – Oblivion, Pacific Rim, Samsarra, Tron Legacy, Avatar, Sin City, The Art of Flight. In my opinion motion, sharpness, contrast, the overall picture on the 4910 is just outstanding. Pacific Rim’s dark scenes in the battles off Hong Kong near the end certainly looked amazing on the 4910. HDTV looked very good too. A few of the attendees tested the 3D. Joe-C compared the 4910 with his RS45’s 3D – hopefully he will chime in regarding 3D of the current 4910 vs his older JVC. I’m not a 3D fan so I can’t comment myself.
All in all it was great having AVS forum members over to test these new JVC’s - hopefully some of them will chime in with their impressions of these projectors.

No comments on the RS57 for comparison?
post #652 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, test something that's inherently cleaner. The US BD of The Fifth Element has a nice layer of grain/noise that was taken from the film stock when scanned. That isn't necessarily a bad thing as I like the that film grain look but when trying to see if your JVC is adding extra noise go with something bright and clean. I'd suggest something animated like one of Pixar's or Disney's newer animated blu-rays. The newer JVCs do have an issue with PWM and adding dithering noise to the image (one bad thing about driving the panels digitally which was needed to drive them to 120hz for 3D), but most of that noise is VERY hard to see from any normal seating distance. I doubt that is what you are seeing. Hopefully it was just clear black causing your issues, because overall from a normal seating distance recent JVCs have looked pretty clean.
post #653 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:

No comments on the RS57 for comparison?

if both are good samples and equally calibrated, they aren't going to look noticeably different. The main advantage of the 57 is the 2nd iris where there is higher native contrast if you have a setup where you can clamp the iris.

most are going to run the auto-iris 2 which performs equally well on both models.
post #654 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

The bright corners are something all LCoS based projectors are going to have. All of them have the issue to some extent, some worse than others. As far as dead pixels go, that sucks. I don't think most people have this issue. Feel lucky it's only one dead pixel. I think they say they guarantee to have something like 99.995% of all pixels in good working order so one dead is within their QC process. I think it's what you said and JVC finds this acceptable which is why they aren't willing to do an exchange. Personally I'd be more pissed if I had bad convergence and/or a bad lens that couldn't focus properly. My X90 has one stuck pixel (always on) on the blue LCoS panel. I've only ever noticed it on fixed test patterns, never on actual content. I've heard that stuck pixels can "fix" themselves over time and I'm hoping this is the case. Other than that I can't complain. My lens can focus pixels VERY sharply and convergence is excellent. That Gen 1 e-shift works pretty darn good because of it. smile.gif
Thanks for the reply. The dead pixel is no biggie -- it's in the letterbox bar area so it's a complete non-issue 90% of the time, and it's completely invisible from my viewing position anyway -- it's just a bummer since I know it's there. And I know it's a crap-shoot with bright corners; again, I'm likely just fixating. My convergence and focus are both very good and I use a lot of zoom and a short-throw so I'm probably worst-case for focus and convergence. I agree with you -- I'll take good focus and convergence in exchange for a single dead pixel and slightly bright corners. Thanks for setting me straight. smile.gif

Curiously enough, both the two RS46s I had last year before I upgraded to the RS4810 had stuck blue pixels. Weird.
post #655 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

No comments on the RS57 for comparison
?

if both are good samples and equally calibrated, they aren't going to look noticeably different. The main advantage of the 57 is the 2nd iris where there is higher native contrast if you have a setup where you can clamp the iris.

most are going to run the auto-iris 2 which performs equally well on both models.

In fact 1/2 the folks that stayed for the RS57 thought maybe the fade to black scenes looked darker on it ( I had manual iris set on -4, auto iris on auto 2 ) and the other 1/2 couldn't tell ! On the same screen in the same room with close to the same iris settings - it's hard to tell the difference. At least it was yesterday. I'd need more time and more test patterns. Then again, if you are one of those " black level nuts ' and you have the black velvet room to take advantage of the RS57's ability to produce better contrast, you certainly won't go wrong with a RS57.

post #656 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 265
That's really cool Craig. It's so hard to demo projectors these days, so your Equipment Demo Day I'm sure was quite welcome by your guests.
I hope some of them will post here about their impressions too.

Re bright corners: Happily my RS57 looks very uniform on an all black screen. (Wish my convergence were better, but we can't all get the golden sample).

How many of us are using the Clear Black feature? Seems I'm in the minority. Though that's not surprising since I know many people eschew any added processing to an image. JVC's processing, though, seems to have hit a sweet spot for me.
I liked the MPC processing better than my Darbee (though I also employ the Darbee) and I think I like the added bit of clarity/intensity of Clear Black (on low) as well, choosing it over the Darbee most times. I've actually been impressed that the Clear Black doesn't seem to exacerbate image noise (at least, not too much) as the image remains really smooth with it on.

One thing I'd ask new JVC owners: How are you finding the Intelligent Lens Aperture, now that you've lived with it for a while?

I'm mostly positive about it, because it really has helped the black levels in low APL scenes, making for a surprisingly substantial contribution to watching movies (for me). At the same time, it's not perfect by a long shot. I do see some brightness pumping, especially on credits some times, and also during movies. But it's not so bad, excepting one other issue: flickering. Has anyone noticed much flickering of the image with the ILA engaged? I seem to keep noting images with the light
pulsing/flickering somewhat, much like film-projection flicker. Or pulsing brightness of certain objects. E.g. I've mentioned the scene in 2001 where the astronauts first enter the frame in the long shot of the Monolith dig on the moon. The far away
earth in the shot is fairly bright, and it was pulsing/flickering somewhat. As well, some portion of the excavation lights were pulsing. I turned off the ILA and then the image looked calm. I have not investigated this closely yet, for instance I don't know if it would be the mechanical iris "freaking out" a bit on a scene and opening/closing rapidly. But my hunch is that it's actually the gamma adjustment "freaking out" a bit, causing these brightness fluctuations.

Thoughts?
post #657 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I sometimes ( very rarely ) see that pulsing / flickering on my Lumis to be honest. Once in a blue moon. Only certain scenes do it. I did not see it at all with the JVC's in auto 2. I also had Clear Black on low per Zombies instructions. The iris looked great. I didn't watch any credits though. Did watch the first 5 minutes of Sin City.

What gamma and color temperature are you using Rich?

post #658 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
If you quit watching the credits maybe you won't notice the iris as much. tongue.gif On the HW50 I just sold, other than a handful of times, the only time I really noticed the iris working was during credits.
post #659 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 04:55 PM

Liked: 10
A big thank you goes out to Craig for allowing people to come over and view the new JVC 4910 and 57. It was also nice to meet some fellow AVS ers.
It was nice to get to see these projectors in a great viewing environment (blacked out room).
My impressions having owned the RS2,20 and 45 currently (using OOTB settings) is that JVC did a very nice job making improvements yet again especially to the black levels. The fades to black where outstanding and in Craig's theater really showed off the strength of these projectors.This was my first experience with Eshift and I have to say seated at 12 feet from the screen it made a slightly noticeable difference for the better . Since I sit 17 feet from my 138" diagonal 235 ratio screen at home I'm not sure how much it would benefit me but it did produce a slightly more refined looking image. I kept trying to compare in my mind the differences in my 45 ( which also has excellent convergence) versus the 4910 and with the very familiar scenes to me from the Blurays played the big difference was definitely the black levels. As Craig mentioned he measured 235 or so lumens on his screen- I went home and checked my 45 with 425 hours on it and it measures 165 at the center so the extra "pop" factor was due to the extra brightness along with the deeper blacks ( my projector is ceiling mounted 17 feet away as Craig's was approximately 14 feet (using approx the same settings).
I'm one of the minority guys here that loves 3D and since I own 80 plus 3D Blurays I was interested in seeing if there where significant enough improvements in that area to warrant me purchasing to upgrade from the 45. Now I have to say on the 45 I still use low lamp to view 3d but I do use OOTB settings. On the 45 my biggest complaint is ghosting and it's gotten worse as my bulb has aged. So after viewing the 4910 with the new JVC glasses and the new EStar 6100 Cauldron RF glasses using Despicable Me and Priest 3D with scenes that bring out all the worst ghosting on my 45 I have to say it was an improvement but not as much as I would have liked. The ghosting was still there in tough scenes BUT the biggest thing that bothered me was the increased flicker. I have to say I don't notice flicker on my 45 and that is probably because the 4910 is brighter even though we used low lamp to check it. Also we used a cross talk setting of 6 which Zombie recommended. I played around with different settings to no avail.
I have an Epson 6030 that I have on loan ( I use an anamorphic lens and the projector does the stretch ) and I also viewed the same material on it when I came home. I measured the lumen output in different modes and ended up using the Living Room mode that projector central recommended in their review with the color temp turned down a few notches and measured around 310 lumens in high lamp. I have to say that the image wasn't that bad but of course the black levels weren't the same as the 4910. The Epsons 3D is outstanding IMO as ghosting is almost nonexistent as is flicker.
For me it is a tough call. Do I use the Epson for a year and wait to see what happens with 4K prices in the next gen models or just live with my 45 for a year but miss out on 3D.
The new 4910 is a no brainer if you just like 2D and are looking for a new projector. If you have a recent (2 year old or less) JVC then it is a tough call- if you can take advantage of the better blacks ( full light control room with dark ceiling and walls)- then absolutely yes- if you have white walls and ceiling probably not as much.
So this of course is all IMHO.
I am going a little crazy trying to figure it all out
Thanks again Craig it was a very nice day.
JOE
post #660 of 1975 Old 02-09-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE-C View Post

A big thank you goes out to Craig for allowing people to come over and view the new JVC 4910 and 57. It was also nice to meet some fellow AVS ers.
It was nice to get to see these projectors in a great viewing environment (blacked out room).
My impressions having owned the RS2,20 and 45 currently (using OOTB settings) is that JVC did a very nice job making improvements yet again especially to the black levels. The fades to black where outstanding and in Craig's theater really showed off the strength of these projectors.This was my first experience with Eshift and I have to say seated at 12 feet from the screen it made a slightly noticeable difference for the better . Since I sit 17 feet from my 138" diagonal 235 ratio screen at home I'm not sure how much it would benefit me but it did produce a slightly more refined looking image. I kept trying to compare in my mind the differences in my 45 ( which also has excellent convergence) versus the 4910 and with the very familiar scenes to me from the Blurays played the big difference was definitely the black levels. As Craig mentioned he measured 235 or so lumens on his screen- I went home and checked my 45 with 425 hours on it and it measures 165 at the center so the extra "pop" factor was due to the extra brightness along with the deeper blacks ( my projector is ceiling mounted 17 feet away as Craig's was approximately 14 feet (using approx the same settings).
I'm one of the minority guys here that loves 3D and since I own 80 plus 3D Blurays I was interested in seeing if there where significant enough improvements in that area to warrant me purchasing to upgrade from the 45. Now I have to say on the 45 I still use low lamp to view 3d but I do use OOTB settings. On the 45 my biggest complaint is ghosting and it's gotten worse as my bulb has aged. So after viewing the 4910 with the new JVC glasses and the new EStar 6100 Cauldron RF glasses using Despicable Me and Priest 3D with scenes that bring out all the worst ghosting on my 45 I have to say it was an improvement but not as much as I would have liked. The ghosting was still there in tough scenes BUT the biggest thing that bothered me was the increased flicker. I have to say I don't notice flicker on my 45 and that is probably because the 4910 is brighter even though we used low lamp to check it. Also we used a cross talk setting of 6 which Zombie recommended. I played around with different settings to no avail.
I have an Epson 6030 that I have on loan ( I use an anamorphic lens and the projector does the stretch ) and I also viewed the same material on it when I came home. I measured the lumen output in different modes and ended up using the Living Room mode that projector central recommended in their review with the color temp turned down a few notches and measured around 310 lumens in high lamp. I have to say that the image wasn't that bad but of course the black levels weren't the same as the 4910. The Epsons 3D is outstanding IMO as ghosting is almost nonexistent as is flicker.
For me it is a tough call. Do I use the Epson for a year and wait to see what happens with 4K prices in the next gen models or just live with my 45 for a year but miss out on 3D.
The new 4910 is a no brainer if you just like 2D and are looking for a new projector. If you have a recent (2 year old or less) JVC then it is a tough call- if you can take advantage of the better blacks ( full light control room with dark ceiling and walls)- then absolutely yes- if you have white walls and ceiling probably not as much.
So this of course is all IMHO.
I am going a little crazy trying to figure it all out
Thanks again Craig it was a very nice day.
JOE

Joe,

Did have CMD enabled when you viewied 3D?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page