post #721 of 1972 Old 02-12-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Noah, didn't you have a RS10 before this PJ? If so, can you compare the two?

Not quite yet.

Just about finished making my auxiliary forced-air cooling system; pj is right behind the living room wall in a closet and am concerned about restricted airflow out of the front exhausts.

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1972 Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Go to the page I linked, click the download. Move to the bottom of the page and click accept. That will take you to the App.

Greetings,

Thanks Mike but I was just pointing out the fact that IOS users (like myself) will able to obtain the App at the end of the month. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #723 of 1972 Old 02-13-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Not quite yet.

Just about finished making my auxiliary forced-air cooling system; pj is right behind the living room wall in a closet and am concerned about restricted airflow out of the front exhausts.

Ah, good. I will be interested in your comparison.

I have demo'd the 46 and 4810 several times at a local shop and my perception is motion is much improved. Also, eshift seems to give an extra level of stability to the picture, if that makes any sense? smile.gif

Black floor should be better but hard to tell as their room is not as fabric covered, and not as dark as mine, so will be curious to hear how much blacks are improved in the same setup?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #724 of 1972 Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ2014 View Post

Originally Posted by PJ2014 View Post

V-streching distortion in 3D

I love the 2D picture of my RS 4910 and the 3D picture in 1.85:1 is ok. I can tolerate the flickering and if there is not too much movement in the picture which leads to a bit of blurring.

However, switching from a regular 3D 1.85 picture with black bars on top and bottom to v-stretching in 3D of the same picture on my 2.35:1 Stewart 1.5 gain screen leads to instant artifacts. It appears with or without using my Schneider M anamorphic lens, so it's not the lens. It's hard to describe what i'm seeing but any movement becomes artificial. For instance Bobby the dog in Tintin 3D when running seems to float over the surface, cars glide unnaturally as if disconnected from the road, and any movement by people show motion jumps/smears, water flowing or camera pans look off. I have to sit an additional row back and still have a hard time getting my eyes to focus on the fast moving objects or people. I also noticed considerable more eye strain while watching in this mode as if my eyes are trying to make sense of something unnatural on the screen. I'm left with a slight headache something I never have with 1.85 3D on my projector or in theaters.

All this is NOT noticeable in 1.85 3D without the v-stretching. By the way I have CMD, and Clear Black off, so it's not the "soap opera" etc. artifacts that arise from using these adjustments. Using CMD does not help in the v-stretch mode while it does in 1.85 aspect ratio although I hate the effect and leave it off. V-streching in 2D with lens is completely normal.

Is it possible the algorithms used for 3D v-streching for each eye are inaccurate, creating a distortion in the adjusted 3D stretched picture. Currently I have to use zoom to fill my 2:35:1 screen rather than using the v-strech with lens to get a "normal" looking 3D picture without black bars.

Does anyone have the same issue or knows what is going on here? Is there a way to resolve this? Does this issue exist on the previous round of projectors too? Thanks for you help.

RESPONSE FROM JVC

I just heard back from JVC with the message that they were able to reproduce the problem with the 3D v-stretching and that they are looking at it right now. They will let me know what the resolution is going to be. Hopefully something that can be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

Tested a JVC X900 (last night) and a JVC RS4910 (today) with 3d and vertical stretch and did not find any issues with either projector.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #725 of 1972 Old 02-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The app on the JVCs page is not for iOS, it is for android...unfortunately.

Stef
post #726 of 1972 Old 02-14-2014, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anyone with the best setting on e-skift adjustment .?
Or just leave it on auto?
post #727 of 1972 Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Anyone with the best setting on e-skift adjustment .?
Or just leave it on auto?

I'd leave it on auto .

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #728 of 1972 Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM

Thanks, but there are different settings on different modes on the E-shift.
Will that have different effect? Or will auto take over like I think.
post #729 of 1972 Old 02-14-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 93
My understanding is that each non auto mode applies to a different kind of input. So you set your prefered settings for each input, and either select the setting manually, or if you select auto the setting will be automatically selected depending on the type of materiel sent to the pj.
post #730 of 1972 Old 02-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Thanks so if I understand correct so if you use auto. It have no effect if you boost on detail or nr.
post #731 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yes, e-shift is not a good thing to my eyes. I'm leaving it off, which was another one of the reasons I bought it. I'm already anticipating the boatload of cash I'm going to lose next year (or sooner) when I upgrade...buying this projector was NOT a positive experience in my opinion. Wish I'd waited...which is what I usually do.
post #732 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 03:25 AM

Hehe I am happy with it as a PJ for the kids. And nice to watch horror movies on. And very dark movies
Why I ask is that I miss some sharpness. Then from what I'm used to. But misunderstand me right it's more than god enough.
post #733 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Wow I am coming from a DLP and find the X500 plenty sharp. I use it as a desktop everyday.

James Reid:D
post #734 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 AM

Liked: 13
I was having long, temporary lock ups when going through the previews on my Blu-ray discs, but when they cleared the picture was fine. After being on the road for a while I hooked up my system as usual. I turned on my 4910 about 40 minutes before watching a movie to warm it up. Solid blue screen. I turned on my Oppo 93 and the Oppo display came on the screen as usual. I loaded the movie into the 93 and the screen went back to solid blue. What the heck? Audio came on through the speakers, but the screen stayed solid blue. Where is the video content? Ejected the disc, went to the Oppo set up menu which displayed fine on the screen, and changed output from auto to 1080p. Loaded the disc back into the 93 and the video came on with the audio, and this time no HDMI issues through the previews either. I have no idea why one problem would change to another problem with no change in any settings and just a short absence. The power to the 4910 was off during the time I was away, but it was off during my previous trip also with no change in the performance of the 4910 when I returned and powered it back up. Welcome to the wonderful world of HDMI gremlins, I guess. Since I only watch movies from my Oppo through the 4910 in my current set up, I'll just leave the output on the 93 set to 1080p and forget about the firmware update for now. Very strange. confused.gif
post #735 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
What is the latest firmware?
post #736 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 08:10 AM

Liked: 14
I believe it is r1210.3

That is what my X500 displays after installation of the first updated firmware release in early January.
post #737 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

...buying this projector was NOT a positive experience in my opinion.

What about the black levels?

Noah
post #738 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 PM

I will say best buy for every buck. Black level perfect, but black level is not everything.
I am satesfied.
post #739 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post

I was having long, temporary lock ups when going through the previews on my Blu-ray discs, but when they cleared the picture was fine. After being on the road for a while I hooked up my system as usual. I turned on my 4910 about 40 minutes before watching a movie to warm it up. Solid blue screen. I turned on my Oppo 93 and the Oppo display came on the screen as usual. I loaded the movie into the 93 and the screen went back to solid blue. What the heck? Audio came on through the speakers, but the screen stayed solid blue. Where is the video content? Ejected the disc, went to the Oppo set up menu which displayed fine on the screen, and changed output from auto to 1080p. Loaded the disc back into the 93 and the video came on with the audio, and this time no HDMI issues through the previews either. I have no idea why one problem would change to another problem with no change in any settings and just a short absence. The power to the 4910 was off during the time I was away, but it was off during my previous trip also with no change in the performance of the 4910 when I returned and powered it back up. Welcome to the wonderful world of HDMI gremlins, I guess. Since I only watch movies from my Oppo through the 4910 in my current set up, I'll just leave the output on the 93 set to 1080p and forget about the firmware update for now. Very strange. confused.gif

Greetings,

I would recommend installing the latest firmware. I suspect that you haven't seen the last of your odd HDMI behavior.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #740 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggleRock View Post

I believe it is r1210.3

That is what my X500 displays after installation of the first updated firmware release in early January.

That what my new one says thx
post #741 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 03:05 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I would recommend installing the latest firmware. I suspect that you haven't seen the last of your odd HDMI behavior.

Regards,

I'm sure you're right. I have the right cables and have downloaded the firmware so I just need to overcome my inertia now that I have a temporary fix in place. The picture is quite an improvement over my RS40, and I don't have to worry about the bulb blowing up!
post #742 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

So far no issues with this pj with 2 hours on the lamp ran it through the paces, motion is better than my x70

It does take a few seconds to lock on to a signal but who cares!

I need to get this thing calibrated soon!
post #743 of 1972 Old 02-15-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just received my 4910 from Mike at AVS on Friday. He performed the latest firmware update for me (We are an all Mac family and my work pc laptop is locked down like Fort Knox) ...
I have to say that the method of updating JVC projectors is archaic:

Nice double boxing by AVS. Thanks Mike.

Building the mounting system to attach the drop pole that will go through the ceiling down into the movie room. This 2x6 will be secured to to my attic joists:

I am disappointed in the Chief CMA-105 (the black mounting plate pictured above). The female thread section was manufactured at an angle instead of perpendicular to the base which causes the Chief pole to not be perpendicular. I was able to orient it (thus the square and triangle) so that it is angled to the back of the room. It supports 500lbs so even with this small bending moment there is still a nice safety factor. It's been a busy weekend. Hopefully I will get it mounted tomorrow.
I will be projecting onto white paper for a while (my first projector) until I decide how big I want the image. The last thing I need is for my wife to sit down for a movie with a newly purchased Stewart Electriscreen and say "the picture is too big... it makes me feel sick".. there goes a multi-thousand dollar electric drop down screen in the trash.
post #744 of 1972 Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Enjoy your projector Jason. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #745 of 1972 Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post

Just received my 4910 from Mike at AVS on Friday. He performed the latest firmware update for me (We are an all Mac family and my work pc laptop is locked down like Fort Knox) ...
I have to say that the method of updating JVC projectors is archaic:

Nice double boxing by AVS. Thanks Mike.

Building the mounting system to attach the drop pole that will go through the ceiling down into the movie room. This 2x6 will be secured to to my attic joists:

I am disappointed in the Chief CMS-105 (the black mounting plate pictured above). The female thread section was manufactured at an angle instead of perpendicular to the base which causes the Chief pole to not be perpendicular. I was able to orient it (thus the square and triangle) so that it is angled to the back of the room. It supports 500lbs so even with this small bending moment there is still a nice safety factor. It's been a busy weekend. Hopefully I will get it mounted tomorrow.
I will be projecting onto white paper for a while (my first projector) until I decide how big I want the image. The last thing I need is for my wife to sit down for a movie with a newly purchased Stewart Electriscreen and say "the picture is too big... it makes me feel sick".. there goes a multi-thousand dollar electric drop down screen in the trash.

Your plate appears to be a Chief CMA105. not a CMS105. It appears to be defective in manufacture.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #746 of 1972 Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Liked: 11

What is the difference between DLA-RS4910 and DLA-X500R ?

post #747 of 1972 Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerboy View Post

What is the difference between DLA-RS4910 and DLA-X500R ?

Isf certification, 3 year warranty(xtra year over x500). And xtra quality control
post #748 of 1972 Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

Isf certification, 3 year warranty(xtra year over x500). And xtra quality control
Did the 4810 have the ISF certification over the X55 as well?

Headless Petie
post #749 of 1972 Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not familiar with the 4810 maybe someone else can chime in
post #750 of 1972 Old 02-16-2014, 12:36 PM