Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 547Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Member
 
curiousmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

I have decided to sell my 4910, I have only had it for a few weeks under 100 hours in perfect condition, full 3 year warranty. The only reason I'm selling is so I can step up to a 4k machine. The picture on this pj stunning!

If anyone is interested pm me


Just spoken to ultra150pilot on the phone....

Ordered the Sony55 on Friday..waiting for delivery next Tues/Wed...but will now pass it on to a relative so I can get ultra150pilot's RS4910.

I have not seen either projectors in person...but hopefully the RS4910 is a nice step up from the Sony55ES.

Anyone who seen both projectors...please tell me i'm on the right track smile.gif

Will use projector with 120" Dalite High power in light controlled room near batcave condition.
curiousmurf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xb1032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post

Just spoken to ultra150pilot on the phone....

Ordered the Sony55 on Friday..waiting for delivery next Tues/Wed...but will now pass it on to a relative so I can get ultra150pilot's RS4910.

I have not seen either projectors in person...but hopefully the RS4910 is a nice step up from the Sony55ES.

Anyone who seen both projectors...please tell me i'm on the right track smile.gif

Will use projector with 120" Dalite High power in light controlled room near batcave condition.

I had the HW50 and now have the 4910 and I am pretty happy with the upgrade. smile.gif
xb1032 is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
deewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post

Just spoken to ultra150pilot on the phone....

Ordered the Sony55 on Friday..waiting for delivery next Tues/Wed...but will now pass it on to a relative so I can get ultra150pilot's RS4910.

I have not seen either projectors in person...but hopefully the RS4910 is a nice step up from the Sony55ES.

Anyone who seen both projectors...please tell me i'm on the right track smile.gif

Will use projector with 120" Dalite High power in light controlled room near batcave condition.

I have the RS4910 and my friend has the Sony 55ES. He has a SI Black Diamond screen and I have a SI Pure Gray, so it's not an apples to apples comparison... but I do like my JVC a lot more than his Sony. Full disclosure, I've never been a huge fan of Sony projectors so I my be a bit biased.
deewan is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Member
 
iNetRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by raullopez1234 View Post

Would like to replace my ps3 as my bluray player.Im looking for better pq, any recommendations.

Not really the thread to discuss this, but OPPO Digital is always a safe bet. Price/performance is very good. Just select either BDP-103D or BDP-105D based on your audio needs. (E.g. if you have good AV-receiver / AV-pre/pro, then you probably don't need the extra analog audio quality in the BDP-105D.)
iNetRunner is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
nohjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNetRunner View Post

Not really the thread to discuss this, but OPPO Digital is always a safe bet. Price/performance is very good. Just select either BDP-103D or BDP-105D based on your audio needs. (E.g. if you have good AV-receiver / AV-pre/pro, then you probably don't need the extra analog audio quality in the BDP-105D.)

I don't want to get into an Oppo vs. ?? Debate, but take my word for it - if you are just looking for a blu-ray player (not multi-media player) just buy a recent panasonic and be done with it. They are 1/5 the price and the blu-ray aq/pq is identical.
cardoski likes this.
nohjy is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,322
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 1842
The picture quality when using them with a projector like the X500 is not identical. The Oppo 103D has Darbee processing, which many find adds quite a bit to the image. It also has exceptional 4K scaling that may prove useful with the X500.
GoCaboNow likes this.

My Home Theater
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Kris Deering is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
nohjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Kris,

I guess if he needs 4k upscaling you might be right, but i cant imagine the benefits would be that significant, if at all. The x500 is a 1080p projector that accepts a 4k input. He can buy an outboard darbee processor for under $250. Furthermore, not everyone likes what the darbee does. I personally love mine, but the op may not. If he is a purist, he will not want it. I know eveyone loves the oppo, but for the op it is a $600 blu ray player, if he does not plan to use its other functions. Regardless, even if he wants the darbee function, he can buy a base model panasonic or sony for less than $100, add a darbee and have 98% of the performance for half the price. Finally, If he then decides he does not like the darby or can live without it, he can just sell it. The resale market for the darbee is very strong.

John
nohjy is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 4,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 150
The Oppo 103D is a lot more than a blu ray player. The two hdmi inputs are my favorite features. Allows me to have direct source with two sources. Makes my Direct TV look so much better. Its a media player with networking, which is a major plus for me since I rip my movies. Along with it being a great 2D and 3D blu ray player. The 2D-3D conversion is not that bad either. Its the centerpiece in my HT. Switching back and forth, I can tell it greatly improves the picture than my avr
blee0120 is online now  
Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Member
 
raullopez1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: McFarland CA
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks a lot for replies.Im going to stay with my ps3 w/Darby combo until we get a true 4k bluray player.
raullopez1234 is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 835
You could always build a HTPC.

It's always in the last place you look.
cardoski is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 4,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

You could always build a HTPC.

For just a 4k playback, probably the best option.
blee0120 is online now  
Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Member
 
DDLOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can anyone recommend a good calibrator for the 4910 in the tri state area? NY/CT/NJ

Thanks!
DDLOP is offline  
Old 03-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Member
 
Wind_Wound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Friday I will be receiving a JVC 4910u to replace my loved but 3Dless Epson.

What should I do as far as user calibration until I can locate a pro calibrator?

Maybe I need to invest in the Calman calibration system?

Is anyone using Calman that can tell me if it works as well as what the pros use?

Thanks
Wind_Wound is offline  
Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Member
 
Wind_Wound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by raullopez1234 View Post

Thanks a lot for replies.Im going to stay with my ps3 w/Darby combo until we get a true 4k bluray player.

If you're thinking of going to the PS4 you may find it useful for your use of 4K.
Wind_Wound is offline  
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
venkatesh_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quick test on a living room environment using the React 2.1 screen with the RS-4910 that I received yesterday. Image looks good. Controls take some getting used to since some differ from the older versions, plus some new controls. Default seems to be high lamp mode but changed that. Only 1hr on the lamp so will spend some time with this. My comparison would be the Sony HW55ES that is still with me but off the shelf for now. Will post my impressions when the lamp settles down.

A big thanks and thumbs up to Mike G (AV Science Sales 5) that made my purchase as seamless as possible and with good advice and follow up.
venkatesh_m is offline  
Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Member
 
JOE-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE-C View Post

I have been using the Estar glasses and emitter for 3D and when I shut off the projector and it goes into standby the emitter still gets power and goes into a search mode that will not shut off.
Is there a way (in the menu) of the projector to disable the 3D sync output power in standby ( also the ethernet light for that matter)? Or does the emitter stop searching after a length of time- I unplugged it after 15 minutes- maybe it takes longer?

I'm going to answer my own question for the sake of others that may run into this problem. I tried putting the Eco mode on and after 15 minutes the power to the 3D output does indeed shut off (along with the yellow ethernet indicator light). Hope this helps someone else.
JOE-C is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,643
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_Wound View Post

Friday I will be receiving a JVC 4910u to replace my loved but 3Dless Epson.

What should I do as far as user calibration until I can locate a pro calibrator?

Maybe I need to invest in the Calman calibration system?

Is anyone using Calman that can tell me if it works as well as what the pros use?

Thanks
In many cases CalMAN is what the pros use.
Schwa is online now  
Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 AM
Senior Member
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 34

Why not to use JVC's one Calibration for those projectors you should therefor buy external optical sensor Spyder4Elite/Pro, but I think its the best option to calibrate it.


Equipment: HTPC GPU GTX 960 4GB -> madVR -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> JVC RS400 -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: -> Sony BDV-n9100w
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,643
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post

Why not to use JVC's one Calibration for those projectors you should therefor buy external optical sensor Spyder4Elite/Pro, but I think its the best option to calibrate it.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but right off the top of my head I can think of two reasons not to use this method:
-Spyder meters aren't nearly as accurate/repeatable as other options (Xrite, etc)
-JVC's procedure requires that you point the meter at the projector, not the screen, so the effects of the screen and the room aren't accounted for in the calibration
Schwa is online now  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 835
I have an Xrite ione display pro, I use it with HCFR free calibration software. Extremely happy with results and fun to tweak with. Was able to get my X500 to look even better.

It's always in the last place you look.
cardoski is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but right off the top of my head I can think of two reasons not to use this method:
-Spyder meters aren't nearly as accurate/repeatable as other options (Xrite, etc)
-JVC's procedure requires that you point the meter at the projector, not the screen, so the effects of the screen and the room aren't accounted for in the calibration

Read here mate http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x900r_x700r_xc7880_xc5880_rs67_rs57_rs49_calibrationsoft.html

Equipment: HTPC GPU GTX 960 4GB -> madVR -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> JVC RS400 -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: -> Sony BDV-n9100w
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,643
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Yeah, so? I've read that before and what I mentioned earlier still stands -- you have to use the Spyder to calibrate the projector and you have to point the Spyder at the projector, not the screen.
Schwa is online now  
Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Member
 
raullopez1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: McFarland CA
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bought 1 pair of valueview 3d rf glasses but I don't think they are compatible with the estar emitter.Can someone recommend some cheap 3d glasses to pair up with estar emitter and my jvc 4910.
raullopez1234 is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
lorjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere south of Georgia
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I see mention of a firmware update to correct a problem with v-stretch. Does anyone know if any other issues are planned to be addressed with this update, such as the inability to turn off MPC when using the internal focus?

JVC-RS4910, Samsung 64H5000, LG 60PA6550
Oppo 93, Oppo 83SE, DirecTV HR44-200, Samsung DTB260F, Roku 3, Denon DP-1200
Marantz AV7702, Onkyo PR-SC5507, Onkyo TX-NR3008, McIntosh C26, DVDO Duo
Parasound A51, Parasound HCA-806A, Emotiva UPA-1s, Marantz MA500s, Sonance 5150, McIntosh MC2105
Paradigm Studio V4s & V5s, Hsu subs X2,
lorjam is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Member
 
davidibecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What are the best emitter and glasses for the money for the 4910? A pm with a link for a good price to order them would be great too.
davidibecker is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Senior Member
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post


Yeah, so? I've read that before and what I mentioned earlier still stands -- you have to use the Spyder to calibrate the projector and you have to point the Spyder at the projector, not the screen.

Of course you'll have to point Spyder at the project as said in instructions, why you thought that I was saying to point it to the screen? Oll optical sensors should be pointed at the source you are trying to calibrate. 


Equipment: HTPC GPU GTX 960 4GB -> madVR -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> JVC RS400 -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: -> Sony BDV-n9100w
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Senior Member
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidibecker View Post

What are the best emitter and glasses for the money for the 4910? A pm with a link for a good price to order them would be great too.

Why not buying JVC's original emitter and any 3D RF standard glasses, I've tried with epson 3D RF glasses and quality is very good.


Equipment: HTPC GPU GTX 960 4GB -> madVR -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> JVC RS400 -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: -> Sony BDV-n9100w
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,643
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post

Of course you'll have to point Spyder at the project as said in instructions, why you thought that I was saying to point it to the screen? Oll optical sensors should be pointed at the source you are trying to calibrate. 
No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. Given the choice, you should always calibrate by pointing the meter at the screen, not the projector. This way the meter "sees" what the viewer is actually seeing and the calibration is able to take into account effects that the particular screen and ambient lighting conditions have on the projected image.

There's so much information on this posted throughout this forum and elsewhere that I'm not going to try to post links. If you're interested (although evidently you're not), you can search for yourself.
Schwa is online now  
Old 03-12-2014, 03:27 AM
Senior Member
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post


No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. Given the choice, you should always calibrate by pointing the meter at the screen, not the projector. This way the meter "sees" what the viewer is actually seeing and the calibration is able to take into account effects that the particular screen and ambient lighting conditions have on the projected image.

There's so much information on this posted throughout this forum and elsewhere that I'm not going to try to post links. If you're interested (although evidently you're not), you can search for yourself.

Now I see what you mean mate, thanks. Spyder 4 Elite is an automatic process of calibration, therefore where X=Rite are manual calibration and requires a user to view the projection image and adjust based on patterns displayed, I'm just planning to do calibration but not sure which choice is the best, don't want to spend a lot money on it, as was thinking manual calibration would be the best, I've got X500R projector.

 

Cheers,

 

Serge.


Equipment: HTPC GPU GTX 960 4GB -> madVR -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> JVC RS400 -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: -> Sony BDV-n9100w
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,643
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post

Now I see what you mean mate, thanks. Spyder 4 Elite is an automatic process of calibration, therefore where X=Rite are manual calibration and requires a user to view the projection image and adjust based on patterns displayed, I'm just planning to do calibration but not sure which choice is the best, don't want to spend a lot money on it, as was thinking manual calibration would be the best, I've got X500R projector.

Cheers,

Serge.
If you wait a little while, SpectraCal should eventually upgrade CalMAN to support automatic calibration of this year's JVC projectors. That way you can use an Xrite meter pointed at the screen to automatically calibrate the projector and won't be tied to JVC's somewhat limited method. I used the CalMAN autocal process with an Xrite i1D3 when I still had my 4810 and it worked great.
Schwa is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Jvc
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off