post #991 of 2220 Old 03-18-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

You will not be blown away by the 4910 either. The upgrade is incremental. The new JVCs, including new full 4K models, will be out in 7 months. These 1080p projectors are going to lose significant value when those models are released. Just hang in there and your patience will be rewarded.

I assume you are speculating. Hope you are not too disappointed this fall. At most, I expect the top of the line JVC to be full 4K. You certainly are not going to see 4K from JVC at 4k/5k price point.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2220 Old 03-18-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I assume you are speculating. Hope you are not too disappointed this fall. At most, I expect the top of the line JVC to be full 4K. You certainly are not going to see 4K from JVC at 4k/5k price point.

For the price point of the 49, there definitely won't be a 4K projector to replace it
post #993 of 2220 Old 03-18-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

The new JVCs, including new full 4K models, will be out in 7 months. These 1080p projectors are going to lose significant value when those models are released. Just hang in there and your patience will be rewarded.
Hmmm, this sounds like rampant speculation. I'd expect the TOTL model to possibly have 4K, but there won't be a 4K model at the X500 / RS4910 price level.

Whoops, I see Mike beat me to it...smile.gif
post #994 of 2220 Old 03-18-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the X500/RS49 did not have the x.v.Color. I guess it is just not customizable
post #995 of 2220 Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I thought the X500/RS49 did not have the x.v.Color. I guess it is just not customizable

I'm fairly certain the native gamut of the D-ILA chips have supported xV Color for a while now. I think the issue is the internal CMS doesn't allow you to calibrate the color for such a gamut.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #996 of 2220 Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I'm fairly certain the native gamut of the D-ILA chips have supported xV Color for a while now. I think the issue is the internal CMS doesn't allow you to calibrate the color for such a gamut.

I will probably never use it, because I thought it didn't have it. There are no cms controls with that color space.
post #997 of 2220 Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

does it shows up on every images source? (PC / Bluray) ?

ps. I have a black 86 convert send me a pm to talk shop class.. smile.gif

Yes, Ive tried multiple sources, and cables, also tried comparing the screen to the wall and it still shows up

I sold it a few years ago, worst decision I ever made.

post #998 of 2220 Old 03-18-2014, 11:22 PM

Liked: 12
I have had this happen to me 3 times. The optic block is bad. Normally when the block is bad you have vertical lines (mine were green as well) but a bad optic block can experience a horizontal line or lines as well. Try doing a factory reset. To do this you must first go into the Service Menu. Here is the procedure. Press menu then quickly press up down left and right keys then press enter. You are in. Select factory reset. The projector will be reset to out of the box settings. If you still see it changes HDMI cable from input 1 to input 2. Then repeat using a different HDMI cable. If after you have done all this the optic block is probably bad.
post #999 of 2220 Old 03-18-2014, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by home theater View Post

I have had this happen to me 3 times.

Who are you replying to? Please use the quote button to provide some context; there's usually many conversations going on here at once.
post #1000 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Who are you replying to? Please use the quote button to provide some context; there's usually many conversations going on here at once.

He's replying to the person directly above him.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #1001 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black93fiveO View Post

Recently purchased a rs4910 from avscience. Took it out of the box the other day and noticed an odd yellow tint at the top of the screen. Anyone know what the cause of this is and how to fix it?

I have had this happen to me 3 times. The optic block is bad. Normally when the block is bad you have vertical lines (mine were green as well) but a bad optic block can experience a horizontal line or lines as well. Try doing a factory reset. To do this you must first go into the Service Menu. Here is the procedure. Press menu then quickly press up down left and right keys then press enter. You are in. Select factory reset. The projector will be reset to out of the box settings. If you still see it changes HDMI cable from input 1 to input 2. Then repeat using a different HDMI cable. If after you have done all this the optic block is probably bad.
post #1002 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black93fiveO View Post

Recently purchased a rs4910 from avscience. Took it out of the box the other day and noticed an odd yellow tint at the top of the screen. Anyone know what the cause of this is and how to fix it?

Is this 'bad optic block' issue something that is more likely to happen during shipping (rough handling), rather than something that may slip through QC before it leaves JVC?

____

Axel

post #1003 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I expect the top two models will be 4K and I am rather certain that one will be well south of $10K. You can already get a new 4K projector for $10K. Prices are going to fall like a rock over the next 24 months in an effort to get the 4K install base up. You can already see it happening in the flat panel arena. This technology will have a very limited lifespan (8K will be a quick successor). No matter, if he can't afford it and doesn't want to wait, he can always pick up the next entry level model. It will be better than the 4910 and it is less than a year away. Furthermore, I expect there will be additional competition in the market place that would also make it wise to wait. Finally, whatever the case is, these products at the end of this technology cycle are going to depreciate in value very rapidly. Others probably don't care, but I personally don't want to pay through the nose (in depreciation) for what would be a minor increase in overall PQ.
post #1004 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I expect the top two models will be 4K and I am rather certain that one will be well south of $10K. You can already get a new 4K projector for $10K. Prices are going to fall like a rock over the next 24 months in an effort to get the 4K install base up. You can already see it happening in the flat panel arena. This technology will have a very limited lifespan (8K will be a quick successor). No matter, if he can't afford it and doesn't want to wait, he can always pick up the next entry level model. It will be better than the 4910 and it is less than a year away. Furthermore, I expect there will be additional competition in the market place that would also make it wise to wait. Finally, whatever the case is, these products at the end of this technology cycle are going to depreciate in value very rapidly. Others probably don't care, but I personally don't want to pay through the nose (in depreciation) for what would be a minor increase in overall PQ.

Knowing that we are not going to have much 4K sources to choose from in the next 18-24 months, makes the 49 a good option right now. You are not going to find any projector to match its performance in its price range. Even with the top models from previous years, this projector can outperform those. When 4K starts to flow in 2 years, a 4K projector will be that much wiser to purchase. If you wait for 2 years or another year, you will still pay more. Even if you wait for the new releases in Dec/Jan, you will be paying more than double. There is really no point of waiting 8-9 months for the same projector or marginally better.
post #1005 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

JVC, 4K, and a sub $10K projector. HA! As the technology becomes more main stream you will see prices come down. You will see better performance. But we aren't even close to that yet. You are expecting JVC to take their current top of the line $12K projector, make it 4K, and lower the price point by this fall? Good luck with that!
post #1006 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Given their track record I could see them trying to do native 4K for their X700 replacement. They did the same thing when e-shift was introduced. They may mark it up to exactly $10K, but I don't see a massive swing in price given their history. I could see Sony trying to fill the gap between the 55 and the 600 as well at some point right around this same price. If they do announce a 4K Blu-ray format at CEDIA you can be sure there will be those trying to ride that wave with projectors that are priced high, but not completely out of everyone's league. Not a sure thing, but I wouldn't bet against it completely.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #1007 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Given how much JVC projectors are discounted, I would not be surprised to see JVC come out with a true 4K projector or two streeting for what the two top end consumer projectors street for now. It will have its share of problems though being a first generation model.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1008 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Knowing that we are not going to have much 4K sources to choose from in the next 18-24 months, makes the 49 a good option right now. You are not going to find any projector to match its performance in its price range. Even with the top models from previous years, this projector can outperform those. When 4K starts to flow in 2 years, a 4K projector will be that much wiser to purchase. If you wait for 2 years or another year, you will still pay more. Even if you wait for the new releases in Dec/Jan, you will be paying more than double. There is really no point of waiting 8-9 months for the same projector or marginally better.

In my opinion, there is no point in upgrading to the 4910 from an RS45 in the first place because it is a marginal upgrade. As I have outlined my recommendations I believe the OP should stand pat and wait for greater performance. It is coming...

As far as those that argue pricing won't come down. It will and soon. As I said before, 4K has a very limited shelf-life and hardware manufacturers need to exploit the market while it exists. They have R&D expenses they need to recoup. If they begin to get too close to the unveiling of 8K technology to the consumer, 4K will be seen as exactly what it is - a transient technology with no future. If anyone thinks 4K will have the lifespan of 1080P, they are sadly mistaken. In my estimation, the manufacturers need to build demand for this quickly or it will never officially arrive.
post #1009 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Is this 'bad optic block' issue something that is more likely to happen during shipping (rough handling), rather than something that may slip through QC before it leaves JVC?

____
Axel

Nobody can answer that unless the shipping box was destroyed. Then maybe you could say shipping. My older Epson 9700 arrived and it looked like it had been tied to the back of the truck. No problems. Then I had a Sony VPL-HW50 arrive and the unit looked like it came straight off factory line that's how clean the box looked plus it was also double boxed with thick popcorn surrounding the original box. Bad optic block.
post #1010 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

In my opinion, there is no point in upgrading to the 4910 from an RS45 in the first place because it is a marginal upgrade. As I have outlined my recommendations I believe the OP should stand pat and wait for greater performance. It is coming...

As far as those that argue pricing won't come down. It will and soon. As I said before, 4K has a very limited shelf-life and hardware manufacturers need to exploit the market while it exists. They have R&D expenses they need to recoup. If they begin to get too close to the unveiling of 8K technology to the consumer, 4K will be seen as exactly what it is - a transient technology with no future. If anyone thinks 4K will have the lifespan of 1080P, they are sadly mistaken. In my estimation, the manufacturers need to build demand for this quickly or it will never officially arrive.

Having compared an RS46 to the RS4910 on the same screen in the same room, I can say for black levels and e-shift quality I think there was a noticeable difference between the two and a difference I was willing to pay for the upgrade. Unless the RS46 was a step back from the RS45, similar differences would be noticed. Like nohjy said with his post, this is only my opinion. Everyone sees different things and puts different values on performance upgrades.

nohjy - If you were stating the top-end JVC (1080p with 4K input would drop in price by $2000 within the year, I could see that happening. If you stated that JVC would be introducing a native 4K projector within the year, I can see that happening. But by saying a $2000 price decrease and the addition of 4K is happening within a year... I don't care how small of a window 4K has in the consumer market. That is a HUGE leap in my opinion.
post #1011 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
nohjy - If you were stating the top-end JVC (1080p with 4K input would drop in price by $2000 within the year, I could see that happening. If you stated that JVC would be introducing a native 4K projector within the year, I can see that happening. But by saying a $2000 price decrease and the addition of 4K is happening within a year... I don't care how small of a window 4K has in the consumer market. That is a HUGE leap in my opinion.

I don't know why someone would think 4K will have a short lifespan - shorter than 1080p. I'm betting it takes far longer for 4K to get up to speed and become mainstream than 1080p. Heck, I don't plan to upgrade any of my gear or content for 4 - 5 years. I don't expect 4K to be widely available ( I'm talking projectors / home theater gear / UHD 4K Blu Rays ) until then.

And I don't expect 4K projectors to be much cheaper for several more years - making 1080p projectors totally relevant for the foreseeable future for most people.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1012 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 273
There are several noticeable improvements on the 4910 vs. the 45, it depends on what's important to you. A few things that stand out for me are better color gamut performance, better OOTB gamma settings, e-shift this year looks very good and of course the iris. Sci-fi fans and folks who like concerts will likely appreciate the difference the iris makes in low-> very low APL scenes. Watch a movie like Underworld Evolution and the 4910 can outgun the best JVC had last year.

The 4910's 3D is also much better than the RS45 which was quite weak with x-talk performance on this particular model.
deewan likes this.
post #1013 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Quote:

____
Axel

Nobody can answer that unless the shipping box was destroyed. Then maybe you could say shipping. My older Epson 9700 arrived and it looked like it had been tied to the back of the truck. No problems. Then I had a Sony VPL-HW50 arrive and the unit looked like it came straight off factory line that's how clean the box looked plus it was also double boxed with thick popcorn surrounding the original box. Bad optic block.

You are probably right. I was only asking, since from my understanding a RS4910 supposedly gets a special QC check, unlike a RS90/X500.

_____

Axel

post #1014 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

Having compared an RS46 to the RS4910 on the same screen in the same room, I can say for black levels and e-shift quality I think there was a noticeable difference between the two and a difference I was willing to pay for the upgrade. Unless the RS46 was a step back from the RS45, similar differences would be noticed. Like nohjy said with his post, this is only my opinion. Everyone sees different things and puts different values on performance upgrades.

Anyone expecting JVC to step up to true 4K and drop the price $2,000 on their MSRP this fall is going to be disappointed.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1015 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You are probably right. I was only asking, since from my understanding a RS4910 supposedly gets a special QC check, unlike a RS90/X500.
_____
Axel

Check the forums and you will see optical block failure has not been an issue since the RS40.

post #1016 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Few questions regarding the 4810 vs the 4910:

1) Does eshift3 exhibit the same odd behavior on text that eshift2 did (see http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430236/offical-jvc-dla-rs4810-owners-thread/720

2) Does the 4910 have the same issue with green undersaturation that the 4810 and some other pervious JVC's had?

3) How much of an upgrade is the 4910 vs the 4810 for 2D only? I realize this is subjective, but I'm wondering if the extra native contrast, dynamic iris, and wire grid polarizer make for a larger step between these two than most model years.
post #1017 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I'm betting it takes far longer for 4K to get up to speed and become mainstream than 1080p.
+1
post #1018 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe he should, but he will be spending more if he wanted a native 4K projector just to wait another year or two to watch 4K. If he has the RS45, he should wait if he can.
post #1019 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Just to clear things up, I expect the top two models for 2015 to be full 4K capable. Additionally, I do not believe their MSRPs will be significantly different than they are now and they will continue to street at discounts of up to 30%. My belief is you will not have any trouble finding the second from the top of the line (the X700 equivalent) for under 7K and possibly below 6K. I know everyone thinks this is insane. So, lets just wait and see who is right....
post #1020 of 2220 Old 03-19-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Check the forums and you will see optical block failure has not been an issue since the RS40.

This is one of those things that have worried me about JVC's in the past, I'm glad to see it isn't as much of an issue now.
But those optical block issues were happening on lower hr units, how about higher hr units....like 3000-6000+ hr units (couple of lamp changes)? Being a DLP owner, it appears to be one of those things I tend to not worry about as DLP chips seems to be very reliable and more importantly, don't 'degrade' over time.

Are we there yet with JVC optical blocks? Reliability and degrade-less performance that DLP units seem to enjoy?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page