Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 190Likes

post #1651 of 3019 Old 06-09-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post

All good then.

I had my X500 installed yesterday, after all of my agonising, I'm very happy with the brightness, to my eyes, it's as bright as my Epson 5030 was on the non-dynamic settings, admittedly with iris fully open on the X500 and lamp on high, it seems way brighter.

I'm impressed, no matter what the science says, and I think Sony and Epson may be losing some of their brightness advantage, and people are still quoting that JVCs aren't bright enough, incorrectly......

The RS4910 looked plenty bright in my theater - and I'm used to my Sim Lumis 3 chipper! eek.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 3019 Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a yellow dot above the barcode of my x500r and not the black one I have seen pictures of. What does the yellow mean as far as firmware updates? Thanks in advance!
post #1653 of 3019 Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by m82socr View Post

I got a yellow dot above the barcode of my x500r and not the black one I have seen pictures of. What does the yellow mean as far as firmware updates? Thanks in advance!

If purchased from us, does not matter. We update our 4910's to latest software, before shipping. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1654 of 3019 Old 06-09-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

If purchased from us, does not matter. We update our 4910's to latest software, before shipping. smile.gif

Hi Mike, is this also true for B-stocks ? Does AVS upgrade firmware to the latest version before shipping ?

Regards.
post #1655 of 3019 Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by afss View Post

Hi Mike, is this also true for B-stocks ? Does AVS upgrade firmware to the latest version before shipping ?

Regards.

We updated the RS4910 B-stocks that we just shipped out. Have an RS4810 B-stock, but the 4810's did not have any software updates.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1656 of 3019 Old 06-10-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

We updated the RS4910 B-stocks that we just shipped out. Have an RS4810 B-stock, but the 4810's did not have any software updates.

Thanks Mike !
post #1657 of 3019 Old 06-13-2014, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does the X500 in high lamp mode runs very noisy? My X35 in high lamp was way too loud. I m considering a X500 but need to run it in high lamp mode because of my 118'' (1.1 gain) screen and 16Fl goal.
post #1658 of 3019 Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
Does the X500 in high lamp mode runs very noisy? My X35 in high lamp was way too loud. I m considering a X500 but need to run it in high lamp mode because of my 118'' (1.1 gain) screen and 16Fl goal.
Its not noise at all, more noise is added if you switch on Altitude mode on.
post #1659 of 3019 Old 06-13-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Its not noise at all, more noise is added if you switch on Altitude mode on.
I have altitude mode on and that doesn't even bother me
post #1660 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 01:44 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by AidenL 

All good then.

I had my X500 installed yesterday, after all of my agonising, I'm very happy with the brightness, to my eyes, it's as bright as my Epson 5030 was on the non-dynamic settings, admittedly with iris fully open on the X500 and lamp on high, it seems way brighter.

I'm impressed, no matter what the science says, and I think Sony and Epson may be losing some of their brightness advantage, and people are still quoting that JVCs aren't bright enough, incorrectly......

The RS4910 looked plenty bright in my theater - and I'm used to my Sim Lumis 3 chipper!
Received my b-stock projector Monday. I'm in a living room environment but darkened it down with black and dark brown walls recently, also added velvet wrapped foam core panels on the ceiling in front of the screen to catch light that hits the ceiling. The difference is amazing. The RS4910 is my sixth projector now (panasonic ae4000, 7000, 8000, sony hw50, epson 5030) and it's by far the best projector I've ever had and plenty bright enough. I'm projecting from 15.6' away from a 125" 2.35 elite cinetension2 screen and I'm using the projector on cinema eco mode. Going in I was afraid the projector wouldn't be bright enough compared to my previous projectors because I'm not in a bat cave.
post #1661 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post
Quote:

All good then.

The RS4910 looked plenty bright in my theater - and I'm used to my Sim Lumis 3 chipper!
Received my b-stock projector Monday. I'm in a living room environment but darkened it down with black and dark brown walls recently, also added velvet wrapped foam core panels on the ceiling in front of the screen to catch light that hits the ceiling. The difference is amazing. The RS4910 is my sixth projector now (panasonic ae4000, 7000, 8000, sony hw50, epson 5030) and it's by far the best projector I've ever had and plenty bright enough. I'm projecting from 15.6' away from a 125" 2.35 elite cinetension2 screen and I'm using the projector on cinema eco mode. Going in I was afraid the projector wouldn't be bright enough compared to my previous projectors because I'm not in a bat cave.
What lamp settings are you using. Did you got to the advanced menu on the remote and set the lamp to low vs high?
post #1662 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:

All good then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Quote:
Quote:

All good then.

What lamp settings are you using. Did you got to the advanced menu on the remote and set the lamp to low vs high?
Using Cinema mode, low lamp, auto iris 1, clear black low. It's brighter than my epson 5030 was in thx and natural mode, and way sharper. I'm watching a lot of my movies over and marveling in how sharp the picture is. Also, the first movie anyone should watch for its black levels on this projector is Gravity. Re-watched that movie over last night and the blacks are so black in a dark room its like being in outer space on some of the scenes. It was amazing. Much better than the Epson 5030ub.
post #1663 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

All good then.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All good then.

Using Cinema mode, low lamp, auto iris 1, clear black low. It's brighter than my epson 5030 was in thx and natural mode, and way sharper. I'm watching a lot of my movies over and marveling in how sharp the picture is. Also, the first movie anyone should watch for its black levels on this projector is Gravity. Re-watched that movie over last night and the blacks are so black in a dark room its like being in outer space on some of the scenes. It was amazing. Much better than the Epson 5030ub.
Try watching Skyfall and Sin City. These films along with Gravity really show what the projector can do.
post #1664 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All good then.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All good then.

Try watching Skyfall and Sin City. These films along with Gravity really show what the projector can do.
Don't own sin city, but watched sky fall last night too. Watched Gravity, Skyfall, and Non-Stop all three look great on this projector.
post #1665 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

3D is also much improved with the new JVC's. One can find ghosting if you try hard but under most conditions it will not be a problem unlike previous generations of their projectors. The blacks and shadow detail are amazing even in 3d. I saw Gravity in 3D with my Benq 1070. Looking forward to watching it again on the JVC.
post #1666 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 471
What year did the 3D improve on the JVCs? I've been considering trying it out on my RS4810.

post #1667 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 342
The 2013 models got a major improvement with 3D. Your 4810 is a 2013 model.
post #1668 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
3D is also much improved with the new JVC's. One can find ghosting if you try hard but under most conditions it will not be a problem unlike previous generations of their projectors. The blacks and shadow detail are amazing even in 3d. I saw Gravity in 3D with my Benq 1070. Looking forward to watching it again on the JVC.
Put a comparison here. I'm very interested to know your opinion about the differences between them. You saw the movie in 3D, right?
post #1669 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Will the e-star emitter and glasses likely be capable with future JVC projectors?

post #1670 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Will the e-star emitter and glasses likely be capable with future JVC projectors?
No one short of JVC will be able to tell you that. Every 3D JVC model has had the same port available to us. I see no reason to abandon the 3-pin DIN port. Hopefully JVC will see it that way too. They could be super mean and do an RF emitter internally that runs at a JVC specific frequency which would force you to buy their brand, and possible model, specific 3D glasses.
post #1671 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
Quote:
Put a comparison here. I'm very interested to know your opinion about the differences between them. You saw the movie in 3D, right?

Yes I did see the movie in 3d. I will compare them as soon as I get Gravity back. I lent it to a friend over the weekend. I also played Tron in 3D which has deep blacks and there is a big difference between the Benq and JVC. The JVC's blacks and shadow detail really enhance the enjoyment of watching the film.
post #1672 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I usually watch my rs49/x500 with the iris open and DI at auto 2. I'm using a 120in 1.0 gain screen. My last two movies, the recent Hunger Games and Ender's Game, I put the iris at -15 with Auto 2. I wanted to see how much of a difference the DI would be. I planned on watching 5 minutes but ended up watching two movies with that low of ftLs. I heard that the higher the contrast, the fewer ftL needed. Even though my case is extreme, I believe that's true. I think 12-14ftL is more than enough brightness with a jvc. I guess once a 4K jvc gets here, I will be perfectly fine with a large low gain screen.
Badas likes this.
post #1673 of 3019 Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I watched gravity in 3D on my Mit HC8000. It was a great experience. Haven't watched 3D yet on my jvc but I will probably watch it tomorrow on it. I have the Estar glasses and emitter I used with my Mit HC8000. I will probably watch the great gabsy too.
post #1674 of 3019 Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I just received my RS49 (X500 because I m in Europe). Can someone point out the default/best settings te begin my calibration with? I use Chromapure for my calibration.
My goal is as close as possible to D65 with most lumens and a Gamma 2.3 curve (and of course I will perform a CMS calibration).
post #1675 of 3019 Old 06-16-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

in addition to my posting above:
I can use my HTPC that can upscale my 2K content to 4K pretty good (using heavy madVR settings; my HTPC upscaling is comparable with a Lumagen scaler; no discussion about this please ). Would you guys prefer feeding the X500 with a 2K => 4K upscaled signal (which is basically a native 4K signal) or just feed the X500 with a decent 2K signal? If feeding it with a upscaled 2K to 4K signal, won t there be any 'double' upscaling/processing? (HTPC that upscales 2K to 4K and the X500 that 'Eshifts' the signal).
post #1676 of 3019 Old 06-16-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What exactly does the "lens reset" function do? I accidentally shifted my lens off left/right center while aligning my X500 during setup after finally completing my cantilever shelf build, and want to get it back on center.
post #1677 of 3019 Old 06-16-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It's actually worded "Lens Center" in the menu. Is that what it really does? Also-Are there internal internal grid patterns? I thought there was, however I can't seem to locate them.
post #1678 of 3019 Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWheatley View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by cardoski

I have a HTPC, not sure how to playback 4k from it though - MPC-HC all I need?[/quote

You can also use VLC, but I believe that is all you need. I installed the madVR addon into MPC and use the JINC filter, for general upscaling not just 4k, I just wanted to point that particular add on out, because I am floored by the results and how much it cleans an image up.I am re watching some 720p downloads of DeadWood, that are far from pristine. The madVR filter works miracles on it. There is loads of info that player. Here is a thread that may interest you.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506723/ul...#post_24675363
Interesting - i have the same MadVR set up with JRiver as front end. I feed 1080p to my X500r.

My question is: would there be any value in getting the HTPC to upscale to 4k and send that to the X500r, would it look better? Or is it better using e-shift?[/QUOTE]would like to know this too. I just switched from a VPL-VW1000 (could sell it for 4000 more than what I paid for it) to a X500 and I have a high-end HTPC which sends out 2K>4K upscaled content with madVR (3840x2160 outputted my GPU) but I think it makes no sense because in the end the X500 is only 1080p so what you actually do then is 2K source => 4K with madVR (upscaling) => send as 4K to X500 => X500 downscales to 2K again......
post #1679 of 3019 Old 06-17-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

And first (big) problem with my RS49:

When I send out 1920x1080@23 or 1920x1080@24 from my HTPC (which has ALWAYS worked with my previous HW55, HW30, VW95, X3, X30, X70 and X35!!!!!) my screen goes black and does not get a signal or anything. Switching to 1920x1080@60 makes everything work again.

Is my unit faulty? Or is this the well known HDMI issue? I m on firmware 1178.

EDIT:
If I want to update my firmware, will this work with this:
https://www.cdromland.nl/product/961/110349/
and this
https://www.cdromland.nl/product/106...el-9P-F-F-1-8m

Last edited by sanderdvd; 06-17-2014 at 02:12 PM.
post #1680 of 3019 Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
And first (big) problem with my RS49:

When I send out 1920x1080@23 or 1920x1080@24 from my HTPC (which has ALWAYS worked with my previous HW55, HW30, VW95, X3, X30, X70 and X35!!!!!) my screen goes black and does not get a signal or anything. Switching to 1920x1080@60 makes everything work again.

Is my unit faulty? Or is this the well known HDMI issue? I m on firmware 1178.

EDIT:
If I want to update my firmware, will this work with this:
https://www.cdromland.nl/product/961/110349/
and this
https://www.cdromland.nl/product/106...el-9P-F-F-1-8m
Could have an issue because I've been using my HTPC with my RS4910 pretty much the whole time I've had it so far with no issues. I'm using MPC-HC and Madvr with a automatic resolution switch to 1080p@23.

Also, anyone using MadVR, NNEDI3 chroma settings 64 neurons or 128 neurons looks great on this projector super sharp and clear image with 1080p blu-ray material.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page