post #1681 of 2645 Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
I have a high-end HTPC which sends out 2K>4K upscaled content with madVR (3840x2160 outputted my GPU) but I think it makes no sense because in the end the X500 is only 1080p so what you actually do then is 2K source => 4K with madVR (upscaling) => send as 4K to X500 => X500 downscales to 2K again......
The PJ does not downscale to 2K if e-shift is enabled. That would make the 4K input capability pointless.

See the early posts in this thread for thorough discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 2645 Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anybody on what the "Lens Center" function does?
post #1683 of 2645 Old 06-18-2014, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Anybody on what the "Lens Center" function does?
It returns the lens to the default position. It wont change the zoom nor focus.
post #1684 of 2645 Old 06-20-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
so is the DLA-X500R worth it or not ? it's that time for me to upgrade.
post #1685 of 2645 Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievoviii View Post
Yes, but YMMV.
____
Axel

post #1686 of 2645 Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievoviii View Post

For the money, it is incredible!

Stef
post #1687 of 2645 Old 06-20-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
how much better is the x500 than my current rs45?
Does the 40% smaller pixel gap equate to a smoother sharper image.
post #1688 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post
I had a RS45 and now I have the RS4910 which is similar to the 500. There is a big difference in blacks and shadow detail. I am not sure if the picture is any sharper but the increased blacks and show detail make the update worth it. The new model is an amazing projector.
post #1689 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post
Much better picture because of the blacks and features
post #1690 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Let's keep our heads on straight. It's not a "much better picture". It's a very similar picture with a few refinements. Remember there are very few distinct picture differentiating features between the JVC lineup. What you're going to get, if you enable the dynamic iris on the X500, is a picture that has a much deeper black level and heightened contrast in darker scenes. The lens is the same, so the image will look as sharp as the other. You get a CMS so you should be able to dial colors in more accurately if you so choose. And you get e-shift, which doesn't add a huge amount to the picture but it's there. The X500 offers better 3D performance because it's brighter and handles ghosting better. There is a refined CMD and you get their rip off on Darbee processing called clear black. The overall picture quality when jumping from the RS45 to the X500 is noticeably better but it's not something I would say is in another league. The refinements overall do give you better PQ but it's not hugely better. If you watch a lot of dark content the DI is arguably the most provocative feature these new machines have. It works very well and does add a sense of value to the purchase. So that feature alone might be worth the upgrade.
Schwa and GoCaboNow like this.

Last edited by Seegs108; 06-21-2014 at 09:57 AM.
post #1691 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Let's keep our heads on straight. It's not a "much better picture". It's a very similar picture with a few refinements. Remember there are very few distinct picture differentiating features between the JVC lineup. What you're going to get, if you enable the dynamic iris on the X500, is a picture that has a much deeper black level and heightened contrast in darker scenes. The lens is the same, so the image will look as sharp as the other. You get a CMS so you should be able to dial colors in more accurately if you so choose. And you get e-shift, which doesn't add a huge amount to the picture but it's there. The X500 offers better 3D performance because it's brighter and handles ghosting better. There is a refined CMD and you get their rip off on Darbee processing called clear black. The overall picture quality when jumping from the RS45 to the X500 is noticeably better but it's not something I would say is in another league. The refinements overall do give you better PQ but it's not hugely better. If you watch a lot of dark content the DI is arguably the most provocative feature these new machines have. It works very well and does add a sense of value to the purchase. So that feature alone might be worth the upgrade.
The picture for me is much better because of the refinements and the dynamic iris. I compared the RS45 and 4910 side by side using various films and the increased blacks, better lamp, less ghosting on 3D heightened contrast in darker scenes all make the picture better. The RS45 is a great projector and it can be argued if the new JVC's are "hugely better." I noticed a big difference which could be attributed to a new lamp and the other refinements. If these things are important than the upgrade is worth it. If not, you still have a great projector with the RS45.
post #1692 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

The picture is definitely much better
post #1693 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I just installed my RS4910 and it came with 1178 firmware. Looking through the release notes it appears that the next two firmware updates to 1211 are only fixing HDMI sync issues. Any reason to update if I am not having problems with my Oppo or AppleTV? I did not see anything compelling.
post #1694 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I recommend to not update the firmware unless you are experiencing issues, there are no added "features".
cardoski likes this.
post #1695 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
The picture for me is much better because of the refinements and the dynamic iris. I compared the RS45 and 4910 side by side using various films and the increased blacks, better lamp, less ghosting on 3D heightened contrast in darker scenes all make the picture better. The RS45 is a great projector and it can be argued if the new JVC's are "hugely better." I noticed a big difference which could be attributed to a new lamp and the other refinements. If these things are important than the upgrade is worth it. If not, you still have a great projector with the RS45.

Did you brightness match before doing the comparison? I have no doubt the 4910 is better, but comparing a new bulb vs old bulb is not a fair comparison.

Seegs, thanks for your thoughts. I might get on the list for a new model depending on what they show at Cedia, or I might just stick with my 45 a few more years since I am still very happy with it and the differences are not going to be night/day as you mention. I only use my JVC for 2d as well, so 3d improvements hold no incentive for me as far as upgrading goes.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; 06-21-2014 at 01:44 PM.
post #1696 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
The picture is definitely much better
My point is that this projector is basically the RS45 with a couple added features. The chassis, most of the processing, the lens, most of the functionality in the menus, and most of how the picture looks is the same. If you were to turn off the DI and Clear Black, brightness match the projectors, the PQ would be indistinguishable from one another. The premium in price is for the DI, a couple new software features, and a projector capable of slightly more lumens. I won't argue this anymore. I've owned a JVC from the last 6 generations. Since the RS40 there HAS NOT been a drastic change in overall PQ between generations. There have been small refinements to certain areas and added software features along the way. Until this year the more money you spent with JVC meant more contrast, but the DI has basically taken away a reason to buy something above this model. I'm sure they'll rectify that somehow for next years models. The X500 is definitely the standout model with the most value. Would I own an X500 over an RS45? Definitely but I'm not about to start telling people the difference in PQ is huge because it's not. You basically get the DI for better contrast and e-shift. But because the DILA panels and lens are exactly the same it's hard to justify saying the image is somehow "much better". I would say the image is better for darker content (which I already said several times) because of the DI but overall the experience with most content is basically the same.

I don't mean to be the Debbie Downer sometimes but a lot of people talk in hyperbole on this forum. I'd rather tell someone how it actually is so they are't somehow let down when they drop an extra $2000 on a projector they're expecting the world from when in reality the image is much the same with a few enhancements here and there. Like I said before the DI is worth the price of admission for this model. It makes the X500 a bargain because you used to have to spend $12000 to get top of the line contrast, but the DI doesn't change the "JVC experience". The image still looks just like the X55R and X90 I had prior, but with more contrast and a darker black level.

Last edited by Seegs108; 06-21-2014 at 02:48 PM.
post #1697 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If someone is going to buy the RS55 and RS65 over the RS45, its because of the black levels. There is a distinguishable difference between the entry level and the top levels in contrast in the right room. The main reason I was not satisfied with the previous models were the black levels. It just was not the blacks I wanted. I made the mistake and watched a CRT and the blacks were amazing, with many fade to blacks. The RS48 just didn't give me that. So, I just wanted to wait for a top model with more than 100K contrast. So, if I was comparing the RS45 to the RS49, I would definitely see the difference in contrast. I don't think it would be hard to see how much of a difference it would be. Also, I like to use the CMD and it works great this year. I finally got around to watching some 3D, and the contrast with the CMD just made it a great all in one projector. I had the Benq models with DLP Link and I much prefer the JVC picture in 3D. To be honest, its not even close IMO. I will take top notch PQ in RF 3D with little ghosting over DLP Link ghost free. Noticeable black levels in 2D and CMD, more contrast in 3D, and less ghosting in 3D, I'll choose the RS49 any day of the week over the previous JVCs. I have owned the RS15, 40, 55, 48, and now 49. Kris Deering, who is well respected on the forum said his RS56 could not match the RS49 in black levels. They even allow you to sit close without seeing pixels because of eshift and clear black is another great feature. Calibrating the RS49 is another plus because its easy to calibrate now, which the RS45 does not even have a CMS. With the price of the 49, I think its a steal for the quality. The 40, 45, 46, or 48 for under $4000 is not that much of a deal but the 49 for under $4000, now thats a major deal
post #1698 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If someone is going to buy the RS55 and RS65 over the RS45, its because of the black levels. There is a distinguishable difference between the entry level and the top levels in contrast in the right room. The main reason I was not satisfied with the previous models were the black levels. It just was not the blacks I wanted. I made the mistake and watched a CRT and the blacks were amazing, with many fade to blacks. The RS48 just didn't give me that. So, I just wanted to wait for a top model with more than 100K contrast. So, if I was comparing the RS45 to the RS49, I would definitely see the difference in contrast. I don't think it would be hard to see how much of a difference it would be. Also, I like to use the CMD and it works great this year. I finally got around to watching some 3D, and the contrast with the CMD just made it a great all in one projector. I had the Benq models with DLP Link and I much prefer the JVC picture in 3D. To be honest, its not even close IMO. I will take top notch PQ in RF 3D with little ghosting over DLP Link ghost free. Noticeable black levels in 2D and CMD, more contrast in 3D, and less ghosting in 3D, I'll choose the RS49 any day of the week over the previous JVCs. I have owned the RS15, 40, 55, 48, and now 49. Kris Deering, who is well respected on the forum said his RS56 could not match the RS49 in black levels. They even allow you to sit close without seeing pixels because of eshift and clear black is another great feature. Calibrating the RS49 is another plus because its easy to calibrate now, which the RS45 does not even have a CMS. With the price of the 49, I think its a steal for the quality. The 40, 45, 46, or 48 for under $4000 is not that much of a deal but the 49 for under $4000, now thats a major deal
Did you even bother reading my post? When did I say contrast was the same? I didn't. In fact I said SEVERAL times the DI is the reason to buy the X500. But does that change the overall picture of the JVC? Absolutely not. It gives you a noticeable bump in low APL scenes. Fade to blacks are pretty rare but will definitely impress people on this model. You'd equate the projector as whole because it has better handling in low APL level scenes as "definitely much better" overall?

My whole point is that people are making this model out to be a totally different projector from something like the RS45 when all but basically the DI and e-shift device is same on the hardware level between the two projectors. How can you have drastically different PQ when the projectors are almost completely the same? This is similar to the DLP vs JVC debate. There are many DLP machines that have amazing PQ but can't match the JVC in terms of low APL handling and black level, but you rarely see someone stating that the JVC is "definitely much better" when asked how the overall the image compared between the two models simply because one has better contrast. That seems odd because you yourself said the DPI is your favorite still. Even more so than the X500. Your stance on the DPI LED model pretty much epitomizes the point I'm trying to make here. Contrast isn't everything (especially when it's already excellent and class leading on the RS45) and that's basically the only difference between the models as far as things that stick out PQ-wise and even then it's only when we get to pretty dark content where the X500 truly pulls ahead.

Last edited by Seegs108; 06-21-2014 at 03:58 PM.
post #1699 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Did you even bother reading my post? When did I say contrast was the same? I didn't. In fact I said SEVERAL times the DI is the reason to buy the X500. But does that change the overall picture of the JVC? Absolutely not. It gives you a noticeable bump in low APL scenes. Fade to blacks are pretty rare but will definitely impress people on this model. You'd equate the projector as whole because it has better handling in low APL level scenes as "definitely much better" overall?

My whole point is that people are making this model out to be a totally different projector from something like the RS45 when all but basically the DI and e-shift device is same on the hardware level between the two projectors. How can you have drastically different PQ when the projectors are almost completely the same? This is similar to the DLP vs JVC debate. There are many DLP machines that have amazing PQ but can't match the JVC in terms of low APL handling and black level, but you rarely see someone stating that the JVC is "definitely much better" when asked how the overall the image compared between the two models simply because one has better contrast. That seems odd because you yourself said the DPI is your favorite still. Even more so than the X500. Your stance on the DPI LED model pretty much epitomizes the point I'm trying to make here. Contrast isn't everything (especially when it's already excellent and class leading on the RS45) and that's basically the only difference between the models as far as things that stick out PQ-wise and even then it's only when we get to pretty dark content where the X500 truly pulls ahead.
So defensive, my post was to describe my reasoning to the OP, not yours. The RS45 and RS49 will be a noticeable difference because of the contrast. The DPI and JVC have different qualities that set them apart, being LCOS and DLP, so just contrast is not a strong argument between those too. Basically, if you have two apples and one taste better, you can say that between those two apples, B taste better, which you get from the RS49 and RS45. But if you have an apple and an orange, then they will taste different, DLP and LCOS. So, I would definitely choose the DPI over the RS45. If I was to choose the 45 or 49, it would be the 49 because in my all velvet room, the 49 will be noticeably better because of the contrast. But if you turn all the features off, then it will not be much of a difference, but thats stupid.
post #1700 of 2645 Old 06-21-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So defensive, my post was to describe my reasoning to the OP, not yours. The RS45 and RS49 will be a noticeable difference because of the contrast. The DPI and JVC have different qualities that set them apart, being LCOS and DLP, so just contrast is not a strong argument between those too. Basically, if you have two apples and one taste better, you can say that between those two apples, B taste better, which you get from the RS49 and RS45. But if you have an apple and an orange, then they will taste different, DLP and LCOS. So, I would definitely choose the DPI over the RS45. If I was to choose the 45 or 49, it would be the 49 because in my all velvet room, the 49 will be noticeably better because of the contrast. But if you turn all the features off, then it will not be much of a difference, but thats stupid.
The other major difference is the improved lamp on the 4910. The original bulbs on the RS45 and other JVC's often dimmed after a few hundred hours and that was a big issue. JVC did make two lamp modifications and the newer lamps showed improvement. The lamp type and regulator on the 4910 is different and there have been few reports of problems that previous JVC projectors had. It is true that both projectors share the same lens and other components but the 4910 has newer panels, a better lamp and auto iris among other tweaks. These changes have made a difference. I loved my RS45 but I also do see a difference with the 4910. Some of the reviewers have said the same thing. To upgrade or not is a personal choice depending on many factors.
post #1701 of 2645 Old 06-22-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Correct me if I am wrong: but if you are not using the DI on the 2014 JVC, the blacks are fairly close from the RS40 all the way up to the top of the line 2014 JVC.

post #1702 of 2645 Old 06-22-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I agree the new JVCs are simply a refinement of previous models, not some big pq improvement across the board, which is par for the course.

That said, for me the type of refinements, in particular the DI (and better 3D, better CMD, Clear Black etc) add up to significant or "big" subjective improvements. I'm just amazed how satisfying this projector has been, even given my typical upgraditus.

That's the problem with subjective assessments: one person's tiny improvement will be another's big improvement. AVS members, videophiles and such are enthusiasts who scrutinize images for improvements and place importance on them in a way that would leave non-enthusiasts scratching their heads (if the non-enthusiasts even would notice the improvements in the first place). So it's kind of typical of enthusiasts to make mountains out of mole-hills, that's the nature of "enthusiasts" to begin with. My wine-loving pals make a big ado about differences I can barely notice, or care about, in wine. But I realize that to them it's a big deal because once you are focused on the differences they become perceptually bigger.

That's why it's so difficult whenever anyone asks "how much better" is a new display? And it's why actual objective measurements are so valuable, as well as careful comparisons when possible. And yet, to the degree a difference does exist (objectively, measurably, perceptually) then we still get stuck with "how big a difference is it?" To some, it's huge in a very "real way" because of how attuned they are and demanding they are to that difference - to others, nothing at all.

Last edited by R Harkness; 06-22-2014 at 11:51 AM.
post #1703 of 2645 Old 06-22-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I agree the new JVCs are simply a refinement of previous models, not some big pq improvement across the board, which is par for the course.

That said, for me the type of refinements, in particular the DI (and better 3D, better CMD, Clear Black etc) add up to significant or "big" subjective improvements. I'm just amazed how satisfying this projector has been, even given my typical upgraditus.

That's the problem with subjective assessments: one person's tiny improvement will be another's big improvement. AVS members, videophiles and such are enthusiasts who scrutinize images for improvements and place importance on them in a way that would leave non-enthusiasts scratching their heads (if the non-enthusiasts even would notice the improvements in the first place). So it's kind of typical of enthusiasts to make mountains out of mole-hills, that's the nature of "enthusiasts" to begin with. My wine-loving pals make a big ado about differences I can barely notice, or care about, in wine. But I realize that to them it's a big deal because once you are focused on the differences they become perceptually bigger.

That's why it's so difficult whenever anyone asks "how much better" is a new display? And it's why actual objective measurements are so valuable, as well as careful comparisons when possible. And yet, to the degree a difference does exist (objectively, measurably, perceptually) then we still get stuck with "how big a difference is it?" To some, it's huge in a very "real way" because of how attuned they are and demanding they are to that difference - to others, nothing at all.

I think if the entry model was not much of a difference over the top two models for 2x to 3x the price, those would not sell at all. They are priced more because of how much contrast you get to improve the image. Along with having a CMS to fine tune the image. I agree if you are watching all the models in a all white room, then there are little differences, but if you have treated your room to get the maximum performance, then it would be noticeable. Well, at least for me. When some of use upgrade constantly, some of those difference in features are weighed into the equation. If it was not, we all will have the RS1 or RS2 from years ago. I think the only reason some should choose to not upgrade their JVC is to get a 4K JVC with the full hdmi 2.0 and refined DI.
post #1704 of 2645 Old 06-22-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Correct me if I am wrong: but if you are not using the DI on the 2014 JVC, the blacks are fairly close from the RS40 all the way up to the top of the line 2014 JVC.
Correct. They are all fairly close. Somewhere between ~20000-25000:1 between the models when the aperture is fully open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

You're right about everyone having a subjective thought on how small things can change your viewpoint on a product. I think what I was talking about before isn't the same things others are talking about. When I say "picture quality" I'm talking about a culmination of things and each individual part gets points in a point system, so to speak, in my head. I usually break it down to a few simple categories like sharpness, motion handling, contrast (both on/off and ANSI), brightness, uniformity (both color a white field), typical convergence one can expect, excess noise in the image, color qualities (how close ootb, how close after calibration, saturation, ect), and then effects of software enhancements available to you in the menus that can change the image and how much they affect the image positively and negatively.

So when I look at all of those qualities and only the amount of contrast between two models has changed in an obvious amount, I say the image looks remarkably similar, not "definitely much better". There hasn't been any kind of obvious change in image sharpness, color characteristics, ANSI contrast, motion handling, motion resolution, color/white field uniformity, convergence tolerances, and even depending on what model you look at brightness isn't a whole lot higher (though it is on the X500). There have been small refinements in some of those areas but none that I would quantify as huge. This is why I make the argument that I do. The DI is definitely worth the price if you watch a lot of movies. Most movies do have darker scenes and the DI does make those scenes look appreciably better. But would I say switching from the X90 or even the X55 has changed the image as a whole (when taking into account all of those other characteristics I just mentioned)? No, it doesn't. But if you're someone who sees those darker scenes as being handled better and want to tell someone the picture as a whole because of that is better, go ahead, even though I think that remark is just a tad disingenuous.

Last edited by Seegs108; 06-22-2014 at 06:04 PM.
post #1705 of 2645 Old 06-22-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently have an RS45 projecting in a bat cave with the projector 18 feet from 170" 2.35:1 Carada BW screen and I sit at about 14.5 feet away. Yes, the RS45 projects a beautiful sufficiently bright image. I can watch 3D. When I read through this thread, it sounds like the RS4910 would actually be a big step up for my use. I understand the assertion that it is very similar to the RS45 in many ways and in many situations, but I would venture that my (late fall...) step up to the 4910 or its successor will be a big jump. Some advances over the 45, such as improved wire grid, improved 3D, improved motion handling, faster switching between aspect ratios, will be small steps in each area, but the sum will feel substantial. Add the 4k-ish features and the DI, for a very large screen, and I have trouble believing it won't be a big jump upgrade. (I have great hopes...)
post #1706 of 2645 Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Been watching the world Cup on my X500 and it just looks awesome, really impressed with this projector. 1445 hrs in and it still looks plenty bright. I do have a black velvet cave so I suppose that helps a lot. Re calibrated just before the world cup and had to adjust the grey scale just a bit and colors were good. I need to get something other then HCFR, some automation would be nice. What I love most about this PJ is it just keeps blowing me away and I watch the crap out of it. I watch sports and HDTV on it, use it as a desktop sometimes and watch Trek on Netflix daily. Not once have I thought I wish it was better. In fact I went and spent a good amount on a new Receiver and speakers because I don't have the desire to buy a new display, first time in a decade, so what I normally put into a PJ or TV went into my sound. My room is freaking awesome right now lol and it feels so good.

James Reid:D
post #1707 of 2645 Old 06-22-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasiliff View Post
I currently have an RS45 projecting in a bat cave with the projector 18 feet from 170" 2.35:1 Carada BW screen and I sit at about 14.5 feet away. Yes, the RS45 projects a beautiful sufficiently bright image. I can watch 3D....

Wow, that's some big screen.

May I ask how many hours do you have on the lamp and if you run the PJ in high brightness mode?

____
Axel

post #1708 of 2645 Old 06-22-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I currently have an RS45 projecting in a bat cave with the projector 18 feet from 170" 2.35:1 Carada BW screen and I sit at about 14.5 feet away. Yes, the RS45 projects a beautiful sufficiently bright image. I can watch 3D. When I read through this thread, it sounds like the RS4910 would actually be a big step up for my use. I understand the assertion that it is very similar to the RS45 in many ways and in many situations, but I would venture that my (late fall...) step up to the 4910 or its successor will be a big jump. Some advances over the 45, such as improved wire grid, improved 3D, improved motion handling, faster switching between aspect ratios, will be small steps in each area, but the sum will feel substantial. Add the 4k-ish features and the DI, for a very large screen, and I have trouble believing it won't be a big jump upgrade. (I have great hopes...)
For your size of a screen, I think eshift will be a nice feature. If you are satisfied with the brightness on a screen that size with the 45, then the 49 should be even better. Also, you will get a much higher contrast with the DI and the clear black feature is nice too. For the price, the 49 should be a great deal and a nice improvement in your setup.
post #1709 of 2645 Old 06-22-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The X500 is the better projector. 3D performance is better and the DI adds to darker scenes. Motion from the RS45 will look remarkably similar. There have been several professional reviewers who still measure ~300 lines of motion resolution. Native contrast is fairly similar, the lens is the same, brightness is a little better for brighter 3D. The image overall feels very similar. The biggest difference (and one of the only visually stand out items) is with darker content when the DI kicks in.
post #1710 of 2645 Old 06-22-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Been watching the world Cup on my X500 and it just looks awesome, really impressed with this projector. 1445 hrs in and it still looks plenty bright. I do have a black velvet cave so I suppose that helps a lot. Re calibrated just before the world cup and had to adjust the grey scale just a bit and colors were good. I need to get something other then HCFR, some automation would be nice. What I love most about this PJ is it just keeps blowing me away and I watch the crap out of it. I watch sports and HDTV on it, use it as a desktop sometimes and watch Trek on Netflix daily. Not once have I thought I wish it was better. In fact I went and spent a good amount on a new Receiver and speakers because I don't have the desire to buy a new display, first time in a decade, so what I normally put into a PJ or TV went into my sound. My room is freaking awesome right now lol and it feels so good.
This is the first time ever I have been completely satisfied with a projector. Until they make a 4k jvc, of course. I would be happy if everything stays the same with only a 4k chip. I'm satisfied with the brightest, contrast, etc.., just make the 49 native 4k by not raising the price too much.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page