Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #1771 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Manni, I did some more fine-tuning. Just to refresh your mind what I achieved in the first place (good greyscale but so-so gamma):

and I now got this:

What you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
Manni, I did some more fine-tuning. Just to refresh your mind what I achieved in the first place (good greyscale but so-so gamma):

and I now got this:

What you think?
Personally I'd be happier with the latest, dE for greyscale is a bit worse (although still under 3 for all points) but there is no point that is significantly off and gamma is significantly better (flatter). The numbers certainly look good enough to me.

Provided it doesn't cause any posterization or artifacts, I would expect the second calibration to give a bit more dimensionality to the picture and no visible difference re greyscale accuracy.

Is it the case?

I honestly don't care that much about absolute numbers, what counts (within reason. i.e. all dEs under 3) is which calibration looks better to your eyes.
post #1773 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Personally I'd be happier with the latest, dE for greyscale is a bit worse (although still under 3 for all points) but there is no point that is significantly off and gamma is significantly better (flatter). The numbers certainly look good enough to me.

Provided it doesn't cause any posterization or artifacts, I would expect the second calibration to give a bit more dimensionality to the picture and no visible difference re greyscale accuracy.

Is it the case?

I honestly don't care that much about absolute numbers, what counts (within reason. i.e. all dEs under 3) is which calibration looks better to your eyes.
I honestly have to say that I cannot really see any difference when viewing real-life content and switching between the first and second calibration I did. I will leave it on the second because for my own feeling gamma is more inportant then the (small) difference in greyscale.

I do the CMS calibration tonight and will report back the results here.

I do miss the 11 point gamma system from the previous models now! I could easily fix the 20IRE gamma peak and move the 60 and 70IRE a little upwards. With this current 3band system this is not possible. the middle band has a lot of affect on 20-80IRE and this makes it not possible to fix the 20IRE peak for example because when I do the the 60 and 70IRE will be too low.

btw: you read a lot of comments about making sure 20 and 80IRE have a flat greyscale but I find it far more important to have a good greyscale at 10 and 100IRE. I want snow to be absolutely WHITE in movies and harry potter scenes BLACK and not BLUEblack or GREENblack.

Last edited by sanderdvd; 07-02-2014 at 06:00 AM.
post #1774 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I honestly have to say that I cannot really see any difference when viewing real-life content and switching between the first and second calibration I did. I will leave it on the second because for my own feeling gamma is more inportant then the (small) difference in greyscale.

I do the CMS calibration tonight and will report back the results here.

I do miss the 11 point gamma system from the previous models now! I could easily fix the 20IRE gamma peak and move the 60 and 70IRE a little upwards. With this current 3band system this is not possible. the middle band has a lot of affect on 20-80IRE and this makes it not possible to fix the 20IRE peak for example because when I do the the 60 and 70IRE will be too low.

btw: you read a lot of comments about making sure 20 and 80IRE have a flat greyscale but I find it far more important to have a good greyscale at 10 and 100IRE. I want snow to be absolutely WHITE in movies and harry potter scenes BLACK and not BLUEblack or GREENblack.
Yes, we all think these gamma controls are a step back, still they are better than no gamma controls at all, as you have experienced if you compare the results you got without using them at all and only using the 2 point greyscale controls.

I wouldn't obsess with the small errors you have in the second calibration, it's about as good as you can get with the internal controls, if you want better you need a Radiance or similar now that the 11 point gamma controls are gone in the JVCs.

Don't waste any time with the JVC CMS, like with previous models it is useless if you target rec 709 at 100% saturation. The problem has been reported every year and JVC clearly has no intention of fixing it (or maybe they are not capable of fixing it). You'll be able to get all your primaries and secondaries within 1-2 dEs at 100% saturation and a very nice looking graph but the calibration will be undersaturated because all the points at 75% saturation and below will not track anymore and will likely be significantly undersaturated.

If you really want to lose some hair (you can get decent results with the internal CMS but it takes time and experience), my advice is to not use the saturation controls at all in the CMS and to try to get each colour as close as possible using mostly hue and brightness, or make minimal use of the saturation control if necessary, but you need to look at all saturation levels to get the best compromise, not just one. Targeting any single level to rec-709 will get you one level right and all other levels wrong and the "corrected" picture will likely look significantly worse than the uncorrected one (visibly undersaturated if you adjust 100% sat to rec 709). Ever wondered why most reviewers never show the saturations charts after their "perfect" calibration using the internal JVC CMS?

Targeting 75% of rec709 - we're talking saturation, not luminance - might help (chromapure has the option, like most other calibration software) but honestly the standard colour profile is good enough and best left untouched (it tracks saturations pretty well if you don't use the CMS to "correct" it). Unlike the first JVC models, recent models give very decent gamut performance using the standard colour profile, and the majority of users will be very happy with the colour accuracy the standard profile provides, without any need to use the CMS. Gamma/greyscale is much more important to get right on these models IMHO, as this is where most of the picture improvement will come from after a good calibration

If you really want better results, forget the internal JVC CMS (it's an outdated tool anyway) and get a processor which gives you a 3D LUT like an eecolor (65x65x65 LUT and very cheap, but only if you don't care about 3D blurays as it won't pass them through and if you have no video processing need as it's just a LUT holder) or a Radiance to get a 5x5x5, 9x9x9 or 17x17x17 LUT depending on the model and a full array of VP features as well. The Radiance line is fully supported by Chromapure but not the eecolor as far as I know, so you might need to use ArgyllCMS or Calman to generate the eecolor 3D LUT.

If your main source is an HTPC, you can get stellar results (as good as an eecolor) using MadVR with any software player supporting it (using ArgyllCMS to generate the 3D LUT) but at the moment you lose full BD Menus and 3D Blurays as no licensed player supports MadVR (yet) as a renderer, or directly supports a 3D LUT.

By the way I'm still replying because no one has complained - yet - but I really think you should start a calibration thread if you want to take this further because most of this advanced calibration talk is OT for most users.

Last edited by Manni01; 07-02-2014 at 07:04 AM.
post #1775 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks again for your detailed explanation Manni. Really appreciated!

Do I understand it correctly that if I do a 100% color calibration only and make sure the white, all primaries and all secondaries have a low delta value I m not there yet? And that at 50% color all could be different?

My main source IS a HTPC, I don t need Blu-Ray menu's and I don t watch 3D. Also, I don t use a commercial player but I use MPC-BE with madVR as renderer. I tried to understand the 'HTPC CMS system' by reading the topic you mentioned but the stuff discussed there is just out of my league and I don t understand it.

Could you help me on my way telling what it can do for me exactly but far more important, help me on my way with some kind of 'HTPC-CMS-MADVR-MANNI-GUIDE'?
post #1776 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again for your detailed explanation Manni. Really appreciated!

Do I understand it correctly that if I do a 100% color calibration only and make sure the white, all primaries and all secondaries have a low delta value I m not there yet? And that at 50% color all could be different?

My main source IS a HTPC, I don t need Blu-Ray menu's and I don t watch 3D. Also, I don t use a commercial player but I use MPC-BE with madVR as renderer. I tried to understand the 'HTPC CMS system' by reading the topic you mentioned but the stuff discussed there is just out of my league and I don t understand it.

Could you help me on my way telling what it can do for me exactly but far more important, help me on my way with some kind of 'HTPC-CMS-MADVR-MANNI-GUIDE'?

Yes, if you do a calibration at 100% saturation with primaries and secondaries all perfect your calibration will be undersaturated because it won't track well at 75% and below. It's a fact, sadly, and the only way around it is either to spend a lot of time trying to find the best compromise for all colors (i.e. targeting a slightly oversaturated point at 100% to compensate for the undersaturation at 75% and below) or to use an external solution (what most people do these days anyway).

If you have an HTPC and use MadVR with MPC-HC as your main source, don't waste ANY time with the JVC CMS or even with an HTPC CMS (and don't buy an eecolor!), just read this thread MadVR - ArgyllCMS and ask questions there, the folks there are much more competent than I am in that area and will help you if you have any problem. Also it means we can free the bandwidth in this thread, to the relief of the majority I'm sure .

In a nutshell, what a 3D LUT does for you is that instead of calibrating a very limited amount of points (say 21 points for greyscale/gamma and 6 points for the gamut) a 3D LUT will calibrate all the levels of saturation and luminance in the color cube. The numbers (5x5x5, 9x9x9, 17x17x17 or 65x65x65) give you the size of the cube and the number of points it calibrates (125 for a 5x5x5, 4913 for a 17x17x17, etc). That way you don't have to worry about luminance / saturation tracking issues that arise when using a 6 or 7 point CMS. Here is an article detailing the principles but you can easily find more: http://www.spectracal.com/downloads/...00%20words.pdf

Unfortunately there are so many variables with HTPCs (hardware, software, drivers, levels, etc) that a one-size-fits-all guide is not possible, but you'll be in very good hands in that thread, I promise you (they just helped me to test the 3D LUT generation of Calman for MadVR).

Just for the fun, I attach my Colorchecker SG results with a standard LUT generated by Calman Ultimate (needed conversion in another tool due to a small format compatibility between MadVR and Calman that will be fixed soon hopefully) with MadVR: Max dE 2000 of 2.5, average of 0.79 (verification over 96 points). Given the limitations of the native gamut of my PJ (a JVC RS-45), this is really excellent and with all the PQ enhancement tools offered by MadVR, you really don't need anything else given your use (HTPC as main source and no full BD Menus / 3D Bluray requirement).
Attached Images
File Type: png Colorchecker SG (MadVR).PNG (679.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Manni01; 07-02-2014 at 11:33 AM.
post #1777 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I did already read the beginning post a few times but I still don t know how to exactly do it
Do I have to use Chromapure and my meter or do I just download some kind of file somewhere and just 'load' that file or something?
post #1778 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I did already read the beginning post a few times but I still don t know how to exactly do it
Do I have to use Chromapure and my meter or do I just download some kind of file somewhere and just 'load' that file or something?
Have you really read that same thread I linked in post 1776, starting in the first post? It lists the required software, the supported meters, and it gives you step by step instructions to install and set up everything to generate a 3D LUT for use in MadVR.

You can't use Chromapure, as far as I know it can't export a LUT in the eecolor format (which is the format MadVR imports).

At the moment you have to use ArgyllCMS (and a meter it supports) or Lightspace.

Calman Ultimate and Studio can also generate a 3D LUT in the eecolor format, but I wouldn't buy either of these version or Lightspace just for that as you already have Chromapure to calibrate and can use the free tools listed in the thread I linked to generate the LUT for MadVR.

Just read and follow the instructions... and please post there if you can't follow the instructions or we're going to get kicked out of here

Last edited by Manni01; 07-02-2014 at 09:25 AM.
post #1779 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

thxz. I ll see you in that thread in a few hours
post #1780 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
While were talking about calibration I'm having trouble reaching proper saturation levels.
I know its from not being able to put together a combination of settings on the projector to provide even a bit over saturation of the primaries pre-calibration.
Any tips on how to resolve would greatly be appreciated.

Below are pre and post measurements.

Pre-calibration- projector settings
  • Projector Mode; user 2, clear black off, low lamp, iris off
  • Color Profile; user 2, color management off
  • Color Temp;correction value 6500k, gain-red 0, green -5, blue -Bias all at 0
  • Gamma[/B]; custom 2, correction value 2.4, dark level 3
  • MPC & Clear Motion; off
  • contrast -3, brightness 2, color 0, tint 0
  • Input Level standard, color space YCbCR(4:2:2)
    Note: adjusting gain and lowering contrast was the solution to reduce red clipping and a pink tinted contrast pattern
Pre-calibration measurements

Post calibration measurements
  • Lumagen Mini-all defaults
  • Latest Lumagen firmware Production 060914
  • Calman 5.3.1.1532
  • Calman Color Cube Autocal
  • Calman D65/Rec 709
  • Gamma target bt.1886
  • 21 point grayscale
  • 125 point Lut
  • Balance to white unchecked

Post-calibration measurements

curlyjive likes this.
post #1781 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Your calibration is about as good as it gets with a 5x5x5 LUT, although your could run a Colorchecker SG to check more points.

Which issues do you have with saturations? max dE of 1.2, average dE of 0.6, on the points your used for verification you're probably outside the accuracy of the meter you're using anyway.

Ignore the slight undersaturation of green, cyan and blue at 100% sat in the native gamut pre-calibration. They all do that (well, almost), it's not visible in your case and yours is one of the least offending ones. There is very little real content at 100% sat, and all the other levels are corrected near perfection thanks to the LUT anyway. I'd live with this calibration very happily.

In fact your pre-cal calibration illustrates the point I made earlier: while not perfect, the uncorrected standard profile gamut is very decent and tracks reasonably well.

If there is no visual artefact in your calibration (posterization, black or white crush, banding, loss of on/off contrast), sit back, relax and watch movies .

EDIT: unchecking the balance white luminance was necessary in earlier versions of Calman, especially with the JVCs set to HDMI standard (trying to maximise peak brightness/on/off contrast). In recent builds, I found that leaving the option checked led to a very minimal loss of brightness while slightly improving the end results, especially for luminance (as expected). It might be unit related, but it's worth checking (not in your case, as your calibration is already close to perfect). On my unit, the difference used to be drastic, not anymore so I've stopped using it. YMMV, etc.
surrey lad likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 07-02-2014 at 09:56 AM.
post #1782 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Agree with Manni 150%!!! You're good to go with that calibration.
Manni01 likes this.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #1783 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Manni as always thanks for the insight and info.

When I look at my 3-chip DLP/Lumagen that was calibrated by Craig Rounds the JVC looks under-saturated.
I really noticed it on the ultimate video torture test Penny Dreadful.
Most of the show is almost devoid of any color. Tons of low to no light scenes with excellent blacks.
Though the last two episodes had terrible compression artifacts on DTV-but I digress.
On the JVC a couple scenes almost look like grayscale. On the DLP there is certainly hints of color.

I guess it could just be the difference between DILA and DLP??

Below are my color checker results.

post #1784 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Agree with Manni - your calibration results look exceptional. I seriously doubt you would be able to notice ANY difference in an A/B test of what you have now vs any improvement you could imagine wanting to make to it. BTW, I may have missed it, but what meter did you say you were using?
post #1785 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Agree with Manni - your calibration results look exceptional. I seriously doubt you would be able to notice ANY difference in an A/B test of what you have now vs any improvement you could imagine wanting to make to it. BTW, I may have missed it, but what meter did you say you were using?
I'm using the amazing little http://www.xrite.com/i1display-pro

Just watched a couple clips from Baraka on the JVC and it looked amazing.
I'm sure this is old news but if you get a chance check out Baraka-its stunning.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103767/?ref_=ttmd_md_nm
post #1786 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is it just me, or is this whole calibration discussion way beyond most people's realm of understanding?
post #1787 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Way beyond me as well.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #1788 of 2138 Old 07-02-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Is it just me, or is this whole calibration discussion way beyond most people's realm of understanding?

Hey this is avscience! And with displays costing as much as these do and what they are capable of, it is important to discuss this. A few years ago I didn't know what any of this meant. Now I own my own calibration gear and can calibrate my own displays. Saves me money and makes me enjoy this hobby even more
post #1789 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I look at it this way. If people like us didn't know about or how to calibrate a display properly these projectors wouldn't look anywhere near as good out of the box. Companies would simply take advantage of that ignorance and save money in the process by not having stricter tolerances for ootb performance. Most projector newbies take for granted how well these 2014 projectors look out of the box. It's become a competitive feature to have because of forums like this. The ones who know about this stuff demanded it and they know people who come here looking for advice will recommend something to someone new that does better ootb. If you compare projectors from 7 or 8 years ago to projectors that are out today the ootb greyscale and color tracking is worlds better. That's why it's important to educate yourself if you don't know. None of this is past the realm of understanding and honestly doesn't take all that long to learn. The more people "in-the-know" the more people will expect from manufacturers with ootb performance and properly functioning software to dial the display into perfection if one chooses to do so. Ignorance is NOT bliss in this instance.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-04-2014 at 11:36 PM.
post #1790 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
I'm using the amazing little http://www.xrite.com/i1display-pro

Just watched a couple clips from Baraka on the JVC and it looked amazing.

The i1d3 is a great little meter and is usually very accurate (unless defective) and your colorchecker results are as good as it gets.

You won't get a better calibration from a measurement point of view using the same meter.

If Baraka looks great, is sounds like the content you use to declare the calibration undersaturated might be tricking you or your DLP is not calibrated properly.

The hint of color you get with the DLP on content that looks close to black and white with the JVC might simply be due to a wonky greyscale on the DLP. Can you measure a 21 point greyscale and do a colorchecker on the DLP using the same meter?

If "normal" color content like Baraka looks good on the JVC, I'll blame the DLP calibration or the other content.

If normal content (I mean, normal reference movies, not almost black and white content) look undersaturated on the JVC with the measurements you have, I'd get the meter checked but I'd be very surprised if that was the issue as your calibration looks otherwise excellent and just as expected on a well calibrated JVC.

I agree that this discussion is important to some users but I also believe that it belongs in a calibration thread. I strongly suggest one of the X500 owners creates one so that less technically-minded users can go back to their normal schedule .

Last edited by Manni01; 07-03-2014 at 02:34 AM.
post #1791 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Both systems look amazing.
They both have their own strengths.
The brightness of the DLP is certainly appealing.
What's interesting is that you forget about the higher black floor on the DLP after a 10-15 min of viewing.
That is until you go look at the JVC.

It is possible its all my imagination....

I have some basic reading of the DLP system from earlier this year performed on a different PC/OS with an unknown version of Calman 5 and the same meter.
As I mentioned it was calibrated by one of the best.
Also I knew much less about calibration at this time so who knows if I had the meter placed correctly or what I had Calman set to.

Titan with i1Display Pro

Titan with i1Display Pro

post #1792 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing looks out of place (although if this was taken earlier this year it might have drifted since, my JVC needs a greyscale touch up every 200-300 hours due to bulb drifting).

If both systems look amazing, just relax, sit back and enjoy

Last edited by Manni01; 07-03-2014 at 06:00 AM.
post #1793 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I will be joining the 4910 club Monday it looks like!

From what I have gleaned from these pages, this is what I am planning to use as my baseline settings before I calibrate.

User1
Standard color space
Custom Gamma....either 2.3 or 2.4. I'll measure both and see which will be easiest to get to 2.3 with a bump to 2.2 down low with the very basic bright and dark gamma controls
Custom CMS, to be calibrated
Color/tint 0

Hdmi mode....not sure. Always used enhanced on my other JVC's. Seems like many are using Superwhite or standard. I've read Kris Deering say that anything other standard makes calibration trickier. I've been fine with enhanced, but if its better to use something else, I'm open to hear others experiences

Brightness/contrast. This one seems different on the 4910. On my other JVC's in enhanced mode, brightness was -7 contrast +14. That allowed bar 17 to be just visible and clipped whites at about 240. Seems this year it is different, depending on HDMI mode. What have others found.

I'll set the iris for the peak I want and probably use AUTO2 (off when calibrating)

Eshift I like on, Have read different things about the MOPC controls. Either they do nothing, or they are very fine controls....we'll see. I have a darbee, so I don't need the enhancement. I just like the smoother look of eshift.

I will probably do a rough calibration right away, at least get a decent grayscale and gamma or it will bug me.

Fingers crossed for a good sample!

Open to any suggestions or thoughts on my starting points. I'll be using calman 4.x and an i1pro, but will have version 5 and a c6/i1pro combo by the time I do a more thorough calibration after break in.
post #1794 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I guess I should just read something that would help make sense of this calibration mumbo jumbo then. Any suggestions? And what is the minimum amount of equipment needed to pull off making an improvement to the OOB performance on these projectors? Is the Datacolor Spyder4Elite something to consider for a calibration newbie?
post #1795 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
I will be joining the 4910 club Monday it looks like!

From what I have gleaned from these pages, this is what I am planning to use as my baseline settings before I calibrate.

User1
Standard color space
Custom Gamma....either 2.3 or 2.4. I'll measure both and see which will be easiest to get to 2.3 with a bump to 2.2 down low with the very basic bright and dark gamma controls
Custom CMS, to be calibrated
Color/tint 0

Hdmi mode....not sure. Always used enhanced on my other JVC's. Seems like many are using Superwhite or standard. I've read Kris Deering say that anything other standard makes calibration trickier. I've been fine with enhanced, but if its better to use something else, I'm open to hear others experiences

Brightness/contrast. This one seems different on the 4910. On my other JVC's in enhanced mode, brightness was -7 contrast +14. That allowed bar 17 to be just visible and clipped whites at about 240. Seems this year it is different, depending on HDMI mode. What have others found.

I'll set the iris for the peak I want and probably use AUTO2 (off when calibrating)

Eshift I like on, Have read different things about the MOPC controls. Either they do nothing, or they are very fine controls....we'll see. I have a darbee, so I don't need the enhancement. I just like the smoother look of eshift.

I will probably do a rough calibration right away, at least get a decent grayscale and gamma or it will bug me.

Fingers crossed for a good sample!

Open to any suggestions or thoughts on my starting points. I'll be using calman 4.x and an i1pro, but will have version 5 and a c6/i1pro combo by the time I do a more thorough calibration after break in.
Welcome to the club ! I purchased my 4910 from AVS but will only be picking it up at the end of the month (I am bringing it from US to Brazil) - very anxious as well !!!

A question to everybody here - should we do our calibrations with the auto-IRIS disabled (in manual mode) ?
post #1796 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afss View Post
Welcome to the club ! I purchased my 4910 from AVS but will only be picking it up at the end of the month (I am bringing it from US to Brazil) - very anxious as well !!!

A question to everybody here - should we do our calibrations with the auto-IRIS disabled (in manual mode) ?
Manual mode.
post #1797 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Manual mode.
Thank you !
post #1798 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Mike!
Yes, I use RS232 for controlling my PJ: for 'regular' control with iRule, but also for calibration with CalMAN.

Has anyone tried the f/w update yet?
____
Axel
I use LAN for controlling pj via irule and this FW has, it seems (2days), fixed the problem I had where it would just fall of the network when in standby, meaning i couldn't turn it on! Touch wood all good now
post #1799 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
Manni as always thanks for the insight and info.

When I look at my 3-chip DLP/Lumagen that was calibrated by Craig Rounds the JVC looks under-saturated.
I really noticed it on the ultimate video torture test Penny Dreadful.
Most of the show is almost devoid of any color. Tons of low to no light scenes with excellent blacks.
Though the last two episodes had terrible compression artifacts on DTV-but I digress.
On the JVC a couple scenes almost look like grayscale. On the DLP there is certainly hints of color.

I guess it could just be the difference between DILA and DLP??

Below are my color checker results.

Is your Sim2's light output matched to the JVC? Remember, you can have two projectors that measure absolutely perfect for REC709 but if their light output is different than your perception of their color will be completely different as well. This is actually a problem I have with REC709 as it has no standard for luminance, it is all based on what you measure initially for white (which you set). So even if you calibrate a display perfectly to all these "standards" you may not be seeing what the content producer wanted you to see, because you don't know what the actual brightness was of their mastering monitor (and don't even get me started on standards for ambient lighting, which mastering studios use but most viewers don't, which again changes perception of color).

So long story short, make sure if you are comparing two different displays or projectors for color rendition you are also matching them for light output. Otherwise you are most likely only seeing the difference in color perception caused by the difference in brightness.
Manni01 likes this.

Senior Video Editor

post #1800 of 2138 Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Guess I should have read farther into the thread, in your calman reports the JVC is at about 13 fL and your Sim2 is at 26 fL. So yeah, color comparisons are competely and utterly devoid at that point.

Senior Video Editor

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page