Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1861 of 1890 Old 07-08-2014, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I received my JVC DLA-RS4910U today. Unfortunately, it may have the a vertical magenta/blue line defect I think. I have tried everything that I can think of. I know that a few others on this board have had similar issues.

From the projector location.

Up Close.

No source inputs.

Any suggestions on a fix?

Last edited by TheSeanO; 07-08-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1890 Old 07-08-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeanO View Post
I received my JVC DLA-RS4910U today. Unfortunately, it may have the a vertical magenta/blue line defect I think. I have tried everything that I can think of. I know that a few others on this board have had similar issues.

From the projector location.

Up Close.

No source inputs.

Any suggestions on a fix?
There is no fix. You need to either exchange it for a new one, or send it in for repair. Mine had the same issue and there were two boards that need to be replaced.

Check my post here for a little more info:

Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread
post #1863 of 1890 Old 07-08-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
if that's brand new the dealer should swap it out immediately since it arrived DOA. I wouldn't send off a brand new projector for repair.
curlyjive and cardoski like this.
post #1864 of 1890 Old 07-08-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Quick questions: I think 1 is normal....3 concerns me.

1) is your LAN light on all the time, even in standby?

2) when in stanby, if I am up close to the vent on the opposite side of the status lights, I can here a faint sound. Almost like the fan is on or something is still running. It's very faint and I co have to be ear next to that vent. Can someone confirm this?

3) This one i'm worried about. With MPC on, I can hear an odd sound out of the vent on the side with the standby lights on. Now if I engage the Lens menu i hear a series of odd noises while that menu comes up. I know MPC can make some noise, but my 4810 didn't sound like this. Can anyone verify the strange sounds by listening next to the unit while brining up the lens menu. (Lens pattern is ON for reference)

Here is a sound clip. MPC is on and then I hit the lens button and you can head the weird sounds.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9G...it?usp=sharing

So here is what I noticed last night:

1) There is definitely some kind of electronic sound coming from the unit when in standby from the grill opposite the LEDs. Can anyone see if theirs does this?

2) When the unit starts up, eshift is very loud for about 20 minutes and then seems to quiet down. This does not seem normal. Anyone experience something similar?
post #1865 of 1890 Old 07-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I received my 4910 today from Mike at avs. I just ordered it yesterday. I did not realize my chief mount does not fit, so i called Mike and he is shipping me the part i need. Right now i just have it on one of my theater seats. It wont fill up the screen and its not straight but it still looks great I did not really think i would see this much of an improvement over my sony hw50 ( which is still a great projector). It has dlp sharpness and pop. I am quite pleased so far. Can anyone direct me to Zombi's settings ? I have not been able to find them. Tomorrow the Estar rf 3d kit will arrive and i will try out some 3d.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #1866 of 1890 Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
I received my 4910 today from Mike at avs. I just ordered it yesterday. I did not realize my chief mount does not fit, so i called Mike and he is shipping me the part i need. Right now i just have it on one of my theater seats. It wont fill up the screen and its not straight but it still looks great I did not really think i would see this much of an improvement over my sony hw50 ( which is still a great projector). It has dlp sharpness and pop. I am quite pleased so far. Can anyone direct me to Zombi's settings ? I have not been able to find them. Tomorrow the Estar rf 3d kit will arrive and i will try out some 3d.
Dan, which estar kit did you order?

Thanks!
post #1867 of 1890 Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I would urge anyone who is serious about watching 3D on a JVC to buy the official JVC horizontally polarized glasses or try and find the OEM ones from Xpand.
I have 1/2 a dozen or so different glasses including the EStar 6000's and none come even close.
The horizontal polarization is a massive improvement in all aspects.
Many say you can only see a difference on screens that retain polarization.
While it's certainly more pronounced the benefits are very noticeable on screens that do not.

IMHO if you use anything other than the correct glasses you are doing yourself a huge disservice.
post #1868 of 1890 Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
I would urge anyone who is serious about watching 3D on a JVC to buy the official JVC horizontally polarized glasses or try and find the OEM ones from Xpand.
I have 1/2 a dozen or so different glasses including the EStar 6000's and none come even close.
The horizontal polarization is a massive improvement in all aspects.
Many say you can only see a difference on screens that retain polarization.
While it's certainly more pronounced the benefits are very noticeable on screens that do not.

IMHO if you use anything other than the correct glasses you are doing yourself a huge disservice.
Have you compared the JVC's made by Xpand with horizontal polarization with the 105 normal Xpands. I do not have a screen that retains polarization and I can not tell the difference.
I have done A+B tests with both glasses with myself and others not knowing which glasses we were wearing and nearly everyone noticed no difference. Some picked one pair and a another person picked the other. I did the test with about 10 people. I do agree if you have a polarized screen you need the ones from JVC but if you don't have one the Mitisbushi ones selling on Amazon for $18.99 with the emitter should work fine. Zombie has also tried and compared them and claims that the closeout 105 made for Mitisubishi work great.

Last edited by rwestley; 07-09-2014 at 03:54 AM.
post #1869 of 1890 Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

On my HP screen, there is no obvious advantage to the OEM JVC glasses vs. any of the other glasses i've tested.

The performance was identical for the 105's vs. the 'Mitsubishi' close out models. What an excellent find / bargain. Getting a 'free' RF emitter that was previously being sold for $250 is nice.

post #1870 of 1890 Old 07-09-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I watched "Frozen 3D" last night on the 4910 with guests using the Mitsubishi $18.95 glasses and emitter (Still available on Amazon) and they worked great. My guests were amazed at the quality of the 3D.

In the past I could never watch 3D on my previous JVC RS45 projector because of ghosting. With the 4910 things are much improved and it is nice to have great blacks and shadow detail. I was actually looking for ghosting and I only saw it for a second or two last night. This is a big improvement. I also love the XPand glasses which I adjusted using a heat gun for a few seconds because they were uncomfortable being very tight.
post #1871 of 1890 Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Have you compared the JVC's made by Xpand with horizontal polarization with the 105 normal Xpands. I do not have a screen that retains polarization and I can not tell the difference.
I have done A+B tests with both glasses with myself and others not knowing which glasses we were wearing and nearly everyone noticed no difference. Some picked one pair and a another person picked the other. I did the test with about 10 people. I do agree if you have a polarized screen you need the ones from JVC but if you don't have one the Mitisbushi ones selling on Amazon for $18.99 with the emitter should work fine. Zombie has also tried and compared them and claims that the closeout 105 made for Mitisubishi work great.
Yes definitely the horizontal polarization made a big difference for me on both of my screens. It's certainly a bigger difference on the Stewart that retains a high level of polarization. I can still see an appreciable difference on the woven Screen Research that has little or no retention.
Everyone sees and perceives things differently.
It could be that my 46 year old eyes are in need of as much light as possible, I'm more sensitive than others or that I have a reference 50+ ftl DLP to compare. Who really knows.

I have several generations of Xpands. The 105's are certainly the best so far. They are the only glasses I have found to not have the internal reflection. For me the reflection is intolerable.

In the end I look at it this way. If it only takes an extra couple hundred $ to get the best performance possible isn't it worth it?

I have not found a way to objectively test with patterns and a meter.
If someone knows of a way I would certainly give it a go.
post #1872 of 1890 Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The X105-RF-1 are supposed to have horizontal polarization, the X105-RF-X1 are standard polarization.

The JVC glasses looked brighter than the X105-RF-1? These were definitely the right model?

Several on different forums have claimed that the Xpand RF transmitter performed better than the JVC transmitter.

it's a shame the best active shutter 3D glasses on planet earth don't work with the JVC's. The Sharp G20 glasses are bar-none the best glasses I've used which is over 20+ different pair and counting.
post #1873 of 1890 Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
So here is what I noticed last night:

1) There is definitely some kind of electronic sound coming from the unit when in standby from the grill opposite the LEDs. Can anyone see if theirs does this?

2) When the unit starts up, eshift is very loud for about 20 minutes and then seems to quiet down. This does not seem normal. Anyone experience something similar?

Greetings,

I get the low level electronic sound while the unit is in standby mode. I noticed about the second or third week I had the projector. It's audible enough that in a quiet room you don't have to be near the projector to hear it. When the projector is powered up it stops. I don't have a problem with e-shift noise that you describe.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #1874 of 1890 Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I get the low level electronic sound while the unit is in standby mode. I noticed about the second or third week I had the projector. It's audible enough that in a quiet room you don't have to be near the projector to hear it. When the projector is powered up it stops. I don't have a problem with e-shift noise that you describe.

Regards,
Thanks for confirming that Ralph!

I figured the standby noise was normal because it is constant. The eshift noise I'm concerned about because it is loud, then quiets down after some use. I have an email into AVSciene since this is brand new.
post #1875 of 1890 Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The X105-RF-1 are supposed to have horizontal polarization, the X105-RF-X1 are standard polarization.

The JVC glasses looked brighter than the X105-RF-1? These were definitely the right model?

Several on different forums have claimed that the Xpand RF transmitter performed better than the JVC transmitter.

it's a shame the best active shutter 3D glasses on planet earth don't work with the JVC's. The Sharp G20 glasses are bar-none the best glasses I've used which is over 20+ different pair and counting.
The current JVC glasses and the Xpand X105-RF-X3 are the same glasses as far as I can tell. I have both the Xpand and JVC emitter and yes Xpand emitter provides extended range but also better performance. Why I have no idea-sync should be sync?

I have not used the Sharp 20's and will get a pr. to test.
post #1876 of 1890 Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

I just tried out the estar 3d glasses and emitter and they work great . Pretty much plug and play once i put the emitter in discovery mode. They were alot easier than the work i had to do to the cable and firmware update to get them to work with my son s mitsubishi 7900. I only have one pair right now ,unless anyone has any suggestions for a better cheaper RF alternative that may or may not work with the estar emitter. All in all i was pleasantly suprised how good the 3d looks.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #1877 of 1890 Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I just tried out the estar 3d glasses and emitter and they work great . Pretty much plug and play once i put the emitter in discovery mode. They were alot easier than the work i had to do to the cable and firmware update to get them to work with my son s mitsubishi 7900. I only have one pair right now ,unless anyone has any suggestions for a better cheaper RF alternative that may or may not work with the estar emitter. All in all i was pleasantly suprised how good the 3d looks.

I agree about the estar. I just watched Pacific Rim, which is my first 3D movie with this pj, and it looked great. I'm sensitive to crosstalk and I didn't notice any.
dan webster likes this.
post #1878 of 1890 Old 07-10-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I just wanted to comment again on how great this projector is. The dynamic iris really sets this projector apart from previous generation units. A few things I've noticed is that apparent sharpness and color saturation is higher than previous units. That's not to say that it actually is and I believe why I "see" this has a lot to do with the fact that I'm running the projector with the manual iris position fully open (DI activated). Brightness matters!! With previous generation units you had to close down the iris to get appreciably better black levels and lower APL level scene performance. With the DI you can have it all. Also, the DI is the best performing DI that I've ever encountered. Easily as good as one from Sony or Runco and from a few hundred hours of exposure to it, it seems, on average, to be more well behaved compared to the competition. There is a rare (and I mean rare, as in MAYBE once during a whole movie) occurrence of a flicker when you go to a new scene or new shot where the content on screen is at a point where the DI just can't make up it's mind. This "flicker" lasts for less than 2 seconds and then it's back to normal. Otherwise it's invisible. There is also almost never any noticeable brightness compression and, just like flicker, only RARE occurrences of clipped whites. I'm sure JVC can alleviate this next year all together if they offer one new mode that is a tad less aggressive. The flickering issue can be fixed no matter the aggressiveness.

With it's max light-output in a calibrated mode coming very close to Sony's VPL-VW600ES, this unit is a true bargain for those looking to fill a huge screen and get max contrast. Other than perhaps the novelty of owning a 4K projector currently I see no reason for anyone to opt for the Sony, which is double the street price of this unit. Sure you get 4K, a slightly nicer lens, slightly higher ANSI contrast, but with real world content are you really going to notice the difference on 1080p content? As many others have already pointed out, not really. This isn't a hit directly at the Sony 600ES but more of a merit of the X500's amazing value it has in out still almost completely 1080p world.

Also, if JVC does announce a 4K model at CEDIA this year. I'll be the first to pre-order as I'm sure the PQ a new 4K light engine JVC devises will be nothing short of amazing and hopefully trounce what Sony currently has out.

Yup I'm becoming a JVC fanboy unintentionally more and more each day. That's something I almost resent. But the PQ keeps that resentment at bay.
Anyone know the low lamp, lumens rating for this? I am trying to see if the 4910 could be viable with an 11' wide AT screen?

I run my RS10 on low lamp/low aperture, then bump it up as the bulb ages. Gives me peace of mind that I will have consistent brightness for the life of the bulb, and also headroom on my 133", old school, 2.8HP screen.

Coming from a 52sqft (roughly) 2.5ish gain screen, and most reviews had the rs10 around 450-500 lumens in low lamp. Should give me 10-14 FL with headroom for sports. I factor 60% average lamp output for aging. 460 low lamp lumens x .6 lamp aging x 2.5 optimal high power setup divided by screen area of 52.5 = around 13fl.

11' wide AT screen would be around 68sqft and probably 1.0 to 1.2 usable gain. Anyone have a review they can point me to with low lamp lumen output for the 4910?

Another question, was it decided you can set the aperture on this to control max light output even while using the DI?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1879 of 1890 Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

cine4home has the lumen details

http://www.cine4home.de/knowhow/Cine...X700_C4HEd.htm

if I recall, I measured ~ 600 / 900 in low / high (calibrated to D65) 17 feet from my 142" 16:9

you can set the aperture to control max light output with the DI.
post #1880 of 1890 Old 07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

My Minolta CL-200 measuered 675/975 but I'm close to max zoom.

I just looked at cine4home's numbers. Mine are right in line to what they got.
post #1881 of 1890 Old 07-10-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
cine4home has the lumen details

http://www.cine4home.de/knowhow/Cine...X700_C4HEd.htm

if I recall, I measured ~ 600 / 900 in low / high (calibrated to D65) 17 feet from my 142" 16:9

you can set the aperture to control max light output with the DI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
My Minolta CL-200 measuered 675/975 but I'm close to max zoom.

I just looked at cine4home's numbers. Mine are right in line to what they got.
OK, thanks guys.

Even though the 4910 is brighter than the rs10, looks like my FL would be cut in half going to a little larger AT screen compared to the high power.
I have a ton of headroom though so 2d might be doable, but 3d...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1882 of 1890 Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
OK, thanks guys.

Even though the 4910 is brighter than the rs10, looks like my FL would be cut in half going to a little larger AT screen compared to the high power.
I have a ton of headroom though so 2d might be doable, but 3d...

11' wide with a gain of 1 - I guess it depends how bright is bright enough for you, and if you are ok changing lamps a little more often.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1883 of 1890 Old 07-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis View Post
I agree about the estar. I just watched Pacific Rim, which is my first 3D movie with this pj, and it looked great. I'm sensitive to crosstalk and I didn't notice any.
I spent a few more hours watching parts of several different 3d movies today. I must say after spending some time making adjustments the 3d looks great. There was almost no flickering or cross talk. It is not quite as clean as my old mitsubishi 7900 but its close IMO. I had to put the lamp to high but it is still very quiet 3 ft over my head. I just ordered 3 more pairs of the estar glasses. People who complain about 3d on the jvc must either have a bad unit, not have it set up properly or just be very sensitive to any flicker. I have never seen 3d on any of the older jvc projectors, but i can say this does really good 3d.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #1884 of 1890 Old 07-10-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Other than this years and last years models, 3D was noticeably worse as far as ghosting goes. I think most people complaining about 3D on JVCs were about the older units. The newer JVCs are about on par with the other 1080p non-DLP units with 3D.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-10-2014 at 06:47 PM.
post #1885 of 1890 Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I find with the JVCs, I can enjoy it with lower ftLs because of the contrast. I always start in low lamp at -15, then increase it at the start of the movie. Seems to do a good trickery job on my eyes
post #1886 of 1890 Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Liked: 11
I'm setting up my 4910 and 3D. I'm noticing some slight reflection/flicker. Is that controlled by the crosstalk setting? or something else. I'm using the xpand mitsubishi emitter and glasses. (I tried the xpand 105-RF-X1 as well and same issue).

It is a slight issue, nothing major - I can reduce the impact by pushing the glasses further from my face, so they sit at the end of the nose, while my crosstalk setting has not been changed.
btw, super awesome projector.
post #1887 of 1890 Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed today that like others here have said if you are watching 3d there is significant ghosting for the first 30 to 45 min when the projector is first powered up. I watched the opening scene from Despicable Me 2 and saw alot more ghosting than i expected. None of the controls made any difference. I left the projector on and came back an hour later and watched the same scene again and 90% of the ghosting was gone. I had to look really hard to see any. Has anyone else noticed this with this or any other projector? My Sony hw50 did not do that.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #1888 of 1890 Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I noticed today that like others here have said if you are watching 3d there is significant ghosting for the first 30 to 45 min when the projector is first powered up. I watched the opening scene from Despicable Me 2 and saw alot more ghosting than i expected. None of the controls made any difference. I left the projector on and came back an hour later and watched the same scene again and 90% of the ghosting was gone. I had to look really hard to see any. Has anyone else noticed this with this or any other projector? My Sony hw50 did not do that.
That's interesting - I'll have to test that out.

I noticed that some of my issues (which are similar to feeling a little motion sick), cleared up when I moved to the back of the room. I think being too close to the screen with 3D could be a partial culprit.

I'm also going to let the projector stay on for a good hour and test again.
dan webster likes this.
post #1889 of 1890 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

I just watched a terrific movie streaming on vudu in 2d. It was called Snowpiercer and it was the perfect first movie for my family to watch with the JVC This film really demonstrated the incredible contrast and deep black this projector is capable of. My daughter ,who watches alot of movies with me and has developed a keen eye for an accurate picture was really blown away by the black levels. It appears to be as good or better than my samsung plasma. If you are looking for a black level showcase for the jvc give Snowpiercer a try.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #1890 of 1890 Old Today, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
So I am sure that I am not the only one waiting for JVC support for autocal with Calman. As our wait grows I become tempted to grab a Lumagen Mini for autoCal, I rather not because it does not support 4K. But if the calibration quality is drastically improved with the mini over just using the upcoming JVC autocal, it might be worth it. So is the calibration superior with Lumagen? Or does what JVC offers for autocal, like in the last gen PJs,perform as well as Lumagen. Also does the Lumagen have to be the last device in the chain?

James Reid:D
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page