post #1891 of 1971 Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
So I am sure that I am not the only one waiting for JVC support for autocal with Calman. As our wait grows I become tempted to grab a Lumagen Mini for autoCal, I rather not because it does not support 4K. But if the calibration quality is drastically improved with the mini over just using the upcoming JVC autocal, it might be worth it. So is the calibration superior with Lumagen? Or does what JVC offers for autocal, like in the last gen PJs,perform as well as Lumagen. Also does the Lumagen have to be the last device in the chain?
It would be great to have a processor that accepts and outputs 4k but with a native 1080p projector I don't see the benefit.
Feeding 4k directly into the projector and comparing it against the same content in 1080p I could see no difference.
When 4k BD is a reality I'll be onto a 4k native projector with a full 4k Lumagen.

Yes a Mini would go at the end of the chain.

As many have pointed out the new JVC's as well as many others projectors look amazing out of the box. On the X55 the Lumagen Mini was a necessary. On my RS49 IMHO it certainly makes a worthwhile and appreciable improvement.

Take a look at the performance below of essentially stock setting with the exception of manually balancing the gains using a 100 ire pattern and Calman.
I was certainly able to make an improvement but how much of it is actually visible?
One aspect that I don't have any subjective measurements for is how much better the Lumagen is at scaling.
Sorry no grayscale or gamma at hand.

Pre-Cal

Post-cal

Last edited by trans_lux; 07-12-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1971 Old 07-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Thanks. The reason I mention 4k is I will eventually go that route. So buying a device that does not support is not very appealing, I already get good results using my i1display and calman, just was curious if the mini made a difference in calibration.

James Reid:D
post #1893 of 1971 Old 07-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

I hear you but how long until we have worthwhile 4k formats-couple of years?
post #1894 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
It would be great to have a processor that accepts and outputs 4k but with a native 1080p projector I don't see the benefit.
Feeding 4k directly into the projector and comparing it against the same content in 1080p I could see no difference.
When 4k BD is a reality I'll be onto a 4k native projector with a full 4k Lumagen.

Yes a Mini would go at the end of the chain.

As many have pointed out the new JVC's as well as many others projectors look amazing out of the box. On the X55 the Lumagen Mini was a necessary. On my RS49 IMHO it certainly makes a worthwhile and appreciable improvement.

Take a look at the performance below of essentially stock setting with the exception of manually balancing the gains using a 100 ire pattern and Calman.
I was certainly able to make an improvement but how much of it is actually visible?
One aspect that I don't have any subjective measurements for is how much better the Lumagen is at scaling.
Sorry no grayscale or gamma at hand.

Pre-Cal

Post-cal

Quote:
So I am sure that I am not the only one waiting for JVC support for autocal with Calman. As our wait grows I become tempted to grab a Lumagen Mini for autoCal, I rather not because it does not support 4K. But if the calibration quality is drastically improved with the mini over just using the upcoming JVC autocal, it might be worth it. So is the calibration superior with Lumagen? Or does what JVC offers for autocal, like in the last gen PJs,perform as well as Lumagen. Also does the Lumagen have to be the last device in the chain?
Wait - is there an Autocal which works on a JVC without needing a Lumagen??

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Scope Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Sony BDP S6200 | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | MK M4T Sides | KEF E301 Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : iPad Air | Harmony Ultimate |

Last edited by AidenL; 07-13-2014 at 03:10 AM.
post #1895 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Wait - is there an Autocal which works on a JVC without needing a Lumagen??
Not yet from Calman or Chromapure for the current series of projectors.
You could use JVC's calibration software.
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...ationsoft.html

Though IMHO you can get an amazing image with a fairly basic manual calibration.

Last edited by trans_lux; 07-13-2014 at 05:15 AM.
post #1896 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 05:14 AM

Also, i tried a few adjustments with the Spears and Muncil disc last night - first off, all the white rectangles in the contrast setting screen are really bright an dashed out - clipped I guess - so even when lowering iris and reducing contest way down, the rectangles don't appear.

Im using a Sony Bluray player with colourspace set at 4:2:2 - any idea what might I might be doing wrong?

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Scope Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Sony BDP S6200 | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | MK M4T Sides | KEF E301 Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
post #1897 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Not from Calman or Chromapure for the current series of projectors.
You could use JVC's calibration software.
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...ationsoft.html

Though IMHO you can get an amazing image with a fairly basic manual calibration.
I was hoping a manual calibration would be close enough as everything i have read says that the current line are pretty accurate already.

I assume you mean by just using a calibration disc and basic settings - any pointers for settings - as you can see from my previous post, I've been having some bother - probably something obviously I'm missing !

post #1898 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Also, i tried a few adjustments with the Spears and Muncil disc last night - first off, all the white rectangles in the contrast setting screen are really bright an dashed out - clipped I guess - so even when lowering iris and reducing contest way down, the rectangles don't appear.

Im using a Sony Bluray player with colourspace set at 4:2:2 - any idea what might I might be doing wrong?
You have the JVC set to Standard HDMI mode which clips at 235 for white. Use super white if you want to retain headroom. You lose a little brightness and contrast though.
AidenL likes this.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #1899 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by napa_newbie View Post
That's interesting - I'll have to test that out.

I noticed that some of my issues (which are similar to feeling a little motion sick), cleared up when I moved to the back of the room. I think being too close to the screen with 3D could be a partial culprit.

I'm also going to let the projector stay on for a good hour and test again.
i think I resolved my issue. I changed the the Lamp from Low to High, and 3D was just about perfect. I also let the projector run for an hour before I played a 3D blu ray disc. I'll test once more without running for an hour and compare.
post #1900 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
You have the JVC set to Standard HDMI mode which clips at 235 for white. Use super white if you want to retain headroom. You lose a little brightness and contrast though.
Ah, I thought that using super white was a bad thing though, no?

Does that mean I would then be setting my HTPC to output 0-255 also rather than limited?

post #1901 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

No, super white is still for video based material it just retains above reference white headroom. Supposedly there is content out there with material above 235 but other than test patterns I've yet to see it. Leave your PC in the same mode. For actual PC levels (not video) you would use enhanced.
AidenL likes this.
post #1902 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I found a US supplier and purchased 2 pair of the Xpand - x105-rf-x3 horizontal polarized glasses glasses for JVC projectors.
I received them in a week shipped UPS from Oregon to Florida.
They work great with my 4910!
I still wish in general I could get a brighter picture although it's still very good and the nature of 3d. It may be I have to dial in my 4910 a bit more for optimal brightness.
If anyone has optimal settings for 3d it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I have a Dalite Cinemavision 1.3 gain screen which retains the polarization at a very high level.

I also purchased a pair of the $19 Xpand's for Mitsubishi to try and unfortunately with the screen were still too dark. If I turned them 90 degrees sideways
to mimic the horizontal polarization they looked great. I have to say the emitter included with the $19 Xpands works as well as my $100+ JVC emitter.

I was asked to not publish the price of the x105-rf-x3 glasses but they are substantially less than the JVC glasses and I would think work just as well though I
have not done a side by side comparison.

The email to order them is: technicalsupport@xpand.me
post #1903 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post
I found a US supplier and purchased 2 pair of the Xpand - x105-rf-x3 horizontal polarized glasses glasses for JVC projectors.
I received them in a week shipped UPS from Oregon to Florida.
They work great with my 4910!
I still wish in general I could get a brighter picture although it's still very good and the nature of 3d. It may be I have to dial in my 4910 a bit more for optimal brightness.
If anyone has optimal settings for 3d it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I have a Dalite Cinemavision 1.3 gain screen which retains the polarization at a very high level.

I also purchased a pair of the $19 Xpand's for Mitsubishi to try and unfortunately with the screen were still too dark. If I turned them 90 degrees sideways
to mimic the horizontal polarization they looked great. I have to say the emitter included with the $19 Xpands works as well as my $100+ JVC emitter.

I was asked to not publish the price of the x105-rf-x3 glasses but they are substantially less than the JVC glasses and I would think work just as well though I
have not done a side by side comparison.

The email to order them is: technicalsupport@xpand.me
Great glad you found them. I was hoping posting the correct model # would help. The horizontal 105's are the only way to go with a JVC. One issue i have is that the brightness increases so much i see more flicker and ghosting on some content. Once you see it you notice it with all the other glasses but to a lesser degree due to the reduce brightness.

I do see fewer issues with big Xpand RF emitter v the JVC. Faster more accurate sync or better matched with the Xpands????
post #1904 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
No, super white is still for video based material it just retains above reference white headroom. Supposedly there is content out there with material above 235 but other than test patterns I've yet to see it. Leave your PC in the same mode. For actual PC levels (not video) you would use enhanced.
Kris, when you say same mode, do you mean change the HTPC to extended, i.e. 0-255?

I currently have it on 16-235.

post #1905 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I mean leave it. If you need to use the HTPC in extended mode for something you should use the Enhanced hdmi mode on the JVC.
AidenL likes this.
post #1906 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hear you but how long until we have worthwhile 4k formats-couple of years?
Ya I would imagine a few year at least, I do have a 4K monitor and have pretty much watched every 4K video on Youtube.lol I guess I am trying to be as future proof as possible, which of course is never really possible, as a PC builder and enthusiasts I know this all to well. And I have always wanted a lumegen but as you say not really needed for the X500, in my calibrations I have only had to tweak the greyscale a bit,really great performer. What I really want and will eventually have is autocal ability. I have over 1600 hrs and calibrate every 500, it will be nice to make it a quicker process. Actually up until recently I used HCFR, I got the Calman in anticipation of JVC support.

post #1907 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 PM

My room has light coloured walls and a white ceiling - what Gamma setting should I use in those conditions?

post #1908 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Ya I would imagine a few year at least, I do have a 4K monitor and have pretty much watched every 4K video on Youtube.lol I guess I am trying to be as future proof as possible, which of course is never really possible, as a PC builder and enthusiasts I know this all to well. And I have always wanted a lumegen but as you say not really needed for the X500, in my calibrations I have only had to tweak the greyscale a bit,really great performer. What I really want and will eventually have is autocal ability. I have over 1600 hrs and calibrate every 500, it will be nice to make it a quicker process. Actually up until recently I used HCFR, I got the Calman in anticipation of JVC support.
As far as I know the latest release of Calman does support autocal for 2014 JVC's.

CalMAN 5.3.5 (Final Release) Build: 1597 Released @ 03 July 2014

New Features

Added support for Video Levels on the EIZO for 1D LUTs.

Added new Monitor-Direct workflow for HP DreamColor Z27x and EIZO ColorEdge monitors. This supports the internal LUTS of these monitors as well as the creation of ICC Profiles.

Changes

CalMAN now supports the JVC x5 and x6 series CMS DDC controls in native ranges.

Performance improvements were made on the Radiance for 3D LUTs
post #1909 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
As far as I know the latest release of Calman does support autocal for 2014 JVC's.

CalMAN 5.3.5 (Final Release) Build: 1597 Released @ 03 July 2014

New Features

Added support for Video Levels on the EIZO for 1D LUTs.

Added new Monitor-Direct workflow for HP DreamColor Z27x and EIZO ColorEdge monitors. This supports the internal LUTS of these monitors as well as the creation of ICC Profiles.

Changes

CalMAN now supports the JVC x5 and x6 series CMS DDC controls in native ranges.

Performance improvements were made on the Radiance for 3D LUTs

Ok, that is what I thought and I have the newest build, but when check the software, there is no support for x5 only x6. Maybe I am missing something I will play with it tomorrow.

post #1910 of 1971 Old 07-13-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Calman does not yet support the 2014, which would be the x7 series, per their recent post on the 2014 JVC thread on their forum.
cardoski likes this.

- Jeff
post #1911 of 1971 Old 07-14-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Have you tried different default values to start for gamma? That is what if suggest. How may hours are on your bulb? I use the dark level adjustment to bring up the bottom end a bit but that's it. I have a Radiance 2041 so most of my calibration is done through that with little adjusted on the projector itself.
I still can't get a flat gamma response.

They all start out ok from 0 to about 40 then drop
They closest I came is with a correction of 2.5 and bumping the dark tone to 5 and the bright tone to -1. This gives be about 2.35 with a dip to 2.2/2.15 from 70-90.

Not sure how others are getting a more linear response.

Something interesting I noticed with Black 17 is that with the iris in manual mode you really only get down to 18, as you said. But the auto2 mode makes 17 visible for me. I'm guessing it has to do with the dynamic gamma.
post #1912 of 1971 Old 07-14-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got a question about how eshift works.

Does each 2k frame pair act as a field? So after 2 pairs(full 4k frame), is a reverse motion adaptive full frame shown?Like reverse interlacing?

Such a thing would be possible for 24p if the refresh supports 96hz, and 60p would need 240hz.
post #1913 of 1971 Old 07-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Moving over from penny pt-ae4000?

Hi all,
Considering upgrading from my panasonic pt-ae4000 to the x500r and really just wondering whether it is worth it in my case.
I like my panny I'd be moving for a better overall 2d image and occasional 3d

My screen is a neutral gain I think, it's 130 inch diagonal and projector would be mounted about 170 inches away from the screen.

I can control all light and the front half of my room is mostly covered in black material like Devore but not as good

I run my panny in low altitude mode and low lamp and I don't tend to feel its dark but the contrast could be better no doubt

Anyone with any experience of such a move happy to give me their thoughts?

I have seen a demo of the x500r but it was at a show and it looked great but I didn't emerge thinking wow that's epic compared to what I had at home.

Many thanks
post #1914 of 1971 Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by drilloav View Post
Hi all,
Considering upgrading from my panasonic pt-ae4000 to the x500r and really just wondering whether it is worth it in my case.

My screen is a neutral gain I think, it's 130 inch diagonal and projector would be mounted about 170 inches away from the screen.

I can control all light and the front half of my room is mostly covered in black material like Devore but not as good

I run my panny in low altitude mode and low lamp and I don't tend to feel its dark but the contrast could be better no doubt

I have seen a demo of the x500r but it was at a show and it looked great but I didn't emerge thinking wow that's epic compared to what I had at home.

Many thanks

Everyone is different when it comes to how much better a picture looks and what is worth it. That said, I moved from an epson 8100 to a jvc rs40 a few years ago and there was no comparison...completely different league. Now I've upgraded to a 4910 and while not as huge a difference, it is pretty substantial for me.

So I would say yes, the 4910 would be a significant upgrade of that panny. Contrast and black level will be very much improved. The two are in completely different classes.
post #1915 of 1971 Old 07-15-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Everyone is different when it comes to how much better a picture looks and what is worth it. That said, I moved from an epson 8100 to a jvc rs40 a few years ago and there was no comparison...completely different league. Now I've upgraded to a 4910 and while not as huge a difference, it is pretty substantial for me.

So I would say yes, the 4910 would be a significant upgrade of that panny. Contrast and black level will be very much improved. The two are in completely different classes.
Thanks Curly - appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Im trying to figure out given my seating, zoom etc whether the JVC will be duller or brighter than what I have now
I presume projector central is the place to go still but I thought i read somewhere the JVC specs were a little suspect and never found out if that got resolved

Anyway thanks
post #1916 of 1971 Old 07-15-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Hi all,

Many thanks
If you are using one of the cinema modes, then the JVC will be about twice as bright, sharper and more contrast. In other words, no contest, between the two.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1917 of 1971 Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
If you are using one of the cinema modes, then the JVC will be about twice as bright, sharper and more contrast. In other words, no contest, between the two.
Thanks - I presume u mean with the JVC on an equal footing ie low lamp vs low lamp?

If so, thats encouraging because I spent quite a while on the brightness calculator and was getting enormous differences between the x500r and say the RS49 even though they are supposed to be the same lumens.
post #1918 of 1971 Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Thanks - I presume u mean with the JVC on an equal footing ie low lamp vs low lamp?

If so, thats encouraging because I spent quite a while on the brightness calculator and was getting enormous differences between the x500r and say the RS49 even though they are supposed to be the same lumens.
Yes, low lamp cinema mode to low lamp cinema mode. The RS49 and the X500 are not supposed to have the same light output, they do have the same light output, because they are the same projector.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1919 of 1971 Old 07-15-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any X500 owners with an Onkyo TX-NR636 or TX-NR838 Receiver ?

I am considering purchasing a new receiver with 4K upscaling capabilities, and would like to verify if any of the users here have one of the newest Onkyo receivers (TX-NR636 or TX-NR838).

I am just concerned with HDMI handshaking issues.

Thank you !
post #1920 of 1971 Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM

For anyone considering this projector, I'd have to say, don't hesitate.

It just amazes me every time I turn it on, its truly a great piece of electronics. Not sure how they will improve it this year, and I don't care, cause I won't be upgrading so soon, but really, I can only highly recommend it to anyone on the fence.
cardoski likes this.

Last edited by AidenL; 07-15-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page