post #1921 of 2997 Old 07-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
For anyone considering this projector, I'd have to say, don't hesitate.

It just amazes me every time I turn it on, its truly a great piece of electronics. Not sure how they will improve it this year, and I don;t care, cause I won't be upgrading so soon, but really, I can only highly recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Totally agree, I have said it a few times now, but this is the first display I have got in the last decade that I do not feel I need to upgrade. Should be a great unit to have until JVC has 4K out for a few years.
stef2, AidenL and raggarichie like this.

James Reid:D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2997 Old 07-15-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Totally agree, I have said it a few times now, but this is the first display I have got in the last decade that I do not feel I need to upgrade. Should be a great unit to have until JVC has 4K out for a few years.
There might be a 4K JVC being announced in a couple of months. However, it will always be wise to sit out the first year, maybe even the second. But the picture these jvc projector throws are something special. Especially for the price point of the X500/RS49. Don't need to spend much for a picture that will satisfy you for years. Plus, a native 4K JVC will just be upscaling 2k to 4k like eshift does anyways. I predict less will flip their jvc projectors this year.
cardoski likes this.
post #1923 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have had a trust worthy 61" Samsung DLP set for several years, only requiring a change, or two, of the light bulb. It has allowed me to roam through channels and also allowed me to turn the set on/off a few times during each day.

My question is; would going to the JVC give me the same freedom to channel search (as well, of course, as watching blu-rays) without having to worry about something going wrong with a front projection setup.

This may sound elementry to some but this would be an important first time change for me.

Thanks, in advance

Last edited by Ed Weinman; 07-16-2014 at 10:53 PM.
post #1924 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post
I have had a trust worthy 61" Samsung DLP set for several years, only requiring a change, or two, of the light bulb. It has allowed me to roam through channels and also allowed me to turn the set on/off a few times during each day.

My question is; would going to the JVC give me the same freedom to channel search (as well, of course, as watching blu-rays) without having to worry about something going wrong with a front projection setup.

This may sound elementry so some but this would be an important first time change for me.

Thanks, in advance
Change channels would have nothing to do with the projector. Now turning off and on would. Any bulb based device, DLP TV being bulb based, decreases the lamp life if turned off and on a lot. What you gain with front projection is size and can gain in picture quality.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1925 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Change channels would have nothing to do with the projector. Now turning off and on would. Any bulb based device, DLP TV being bulb based, decreases the lamp life if turned off and on a lot. What you gain with front projection is size and can gain in picture quality.
Thanks, Mike
post #1926 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I often have problems with changing the channel since I got a projector... I turn on the projector and end up watching whatever dumb thing is on because the picture/scenery is so awe inspiring to look at... the big picture seems to have some power that prevents me from changing channels. I ended up watching 45 minutes of some show about fish the other day because the views of the Amazon were so cool.

post #1927 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post
I often have problems with changing the channel since I got a projector... I turn on the projector and end up watching whatever dumb thing is on because the picture/scenery is so awe inspiring to look at... the big picture seems to have some power that prevents me from changing channels. I ended up watching 45 minutes of some show about fish the other day because the views of the Amazon were so cool.
Believe it or not i just watched the screen saver from my oppo blu ray player for about 10 minutes last night. The all black background with the pong inspired moving white oppo logo was a a pleasure.
cardoski likes this.

Dolby Atmos 9.2.4 Marantz 7009 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 bluray player Jvc 4910 projector Benq 1070 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 7 L&R &super center XL Emotiva erm 6.2 sides ert 8.3 rear s
Emotiva erd-1 front wides 4 erd-1 on ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #1928 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post
This is what I was afraid of...being overcome by the magic...
post #1929 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Ed,

A new JVC will be a HUGE improvement in PQ over a 61" Samsung DLP in the right environment. I am speaking from experience with my RS4810 and a couple of such DLPs I've been around that family members own. Then when you factor in screen size...you will be in for a big treat. Just make certain to buy a good screen. Mike of AVS is a great resource to talk to, as well.

post #1930 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Ed,

A new JVC will be a HUGE improvement in PQ over a 61" Samsung DLP in the right environment. I am speaking from experience with my RS4810 and a couple of such DLPs I've been around that family members own. Then when you factor in screen size...you will be in for a big treat. Just make certain to buy a good screen. Mike of AVS is a great resource to talk to, as well.
Thank you, David
...i have to make a decision before i move to the old folks home...
...it's strange that at this time in my life (72) i should want to start a new adventure; but, i have always loved the old theaters that i went to in New York (esp. the Bronx); the drama of the curtains opening and closing...and...all of it! (Sorry, don't want to sound morbid.)

Last edited by Ed Weinman; 07-16-2014 at 08:35 PM.
post #1931 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Ed, you're going to LOVE the JVC. It's an excellent projector if that's the one you decide on buying. Very very nice picture.
stef2 likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!

For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295
post #1932 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Thank you, David
...it's strange that at this time in my life (72) i should want to start a new adventure; but, i have always loved the old theaters that i went to in New York (esp. the Bronx); the drama of the curtains opening and closing...and...all of it! (Sorry, don't want to sound morbid.)
It's never too late to start a new endeavor.

It's funny because I got into front projection for the first time earlier this year and got my set-up running in April. This is something I had always wanted to do being a video enthusiast and film lover, but figured it would be years away. An acquaintance of mine from the forum was considering it, then passed on it - but it sparked my interest so much I decided, why not now? I couldn't find one good reason not to do it. And I couldn't be happier. Front projection is an amazing experience.
ScottJ, GoCaboNow and cardoski like this.

post #1933 of 2997 Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

...yes...i will involve myself in this crazy world of front projection in a few months. Thank you all.

...(and now to bed)
post #1934 of 2997 Old 07-17-2014, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The RS4910 is truly an amazing piece of A/V equipment. I have had mine a little over a week. I just got my Oppo 103D player hooked up to it and can't wait to fire it up again. As others have said, I won't need to even consider getting something else for a few years.
post #1935 of 2997 Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

...(i've got to stop reading this discusion..as if that were to happen!)

Last edited by Ed Weinman; 07-18-2014 at 01:38 PM.
post #1936 of 2997 Old 07-17-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Thank you, David
Live it up and treat yourself
cardoski and giogt600 like this.

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #1937 of 2997 Old 07-17-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Ed,

My suggestion is a can of gesso spray paint and a fine grade sanding sponge you can get results that equal or rival any commercial screen. Goo Screen used to be big, but gesso is leagues better in terms of uniformity that even the worst person at painting can get right.

If you want to have have audio transparency, a spandex screen is the way to go.

This coming from an OCD videophile with sensory overload problems.

No matter how much you screw up, my suggestions will be jaw dropping compared to a DLP rear projection with speckle and uniformity issues.
post #1938 of 2997 Old 07-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Decided to replace my bulb today, had almost 1700hrs in high bulb mode. It was still going fine but I was curious and I have a few extra bulbs. This time I will run in low lamp mode. Pretty crazy how bright the image is with a new bulb, I will wait 100 hrs and then calibrate. Lots of pop and brightness with the new bulb, which is to be expected. lol

post #1939 of 2997 Old 07-19-2014, 02:26 AM

I'm using a Harmony remote, but I can't get the double click of the power off switch to power off the PJ while closing down the activity.

Any tips as to how to fix that? It powers up fine.

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
post #1940 of 2997 Old 07-19-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My first projector ever and the 4910 is just too cool. I have pout 65 hours on it so far and it is stunning (no comparisons from before but still .

I have a question about connecting an external antenna via the projector. What would i need to buy to run an indoor antenna via my receiver to the projector? I read up that i need a a digital tuner (Is this the same as a digital converter box)? Can anyone please help me here on what should i buy and how should i connect? Any recommendations or links will help tremendously.

Thanks in advance!
cardoski likes this.
post #1941 of 2997 Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I'm using a Harmony remote, but I can't get the double click of the power off switch to power off the PJ while closing down the activity.

Any tips as to how to fix that? It powers up fine.
I also use a Harmony. Although only two power off commands are required, I have it send three power off commands in a row. It works very reliably. You could also have it send the first power off command, then add a delay, then do the second power off command.
post #1942 of 2997 Old 07-19-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyguy23 View Post
My first projector ever and the 4910 is just too cool. I have pout 65 hours on it so far and it is stunning (no comparisons from before but still .

I have a question about connecting an external antenna via the projector. What would i need to buy to run an indoor antenna via my receiver to the projector? I read up that i need a a digital tuner (Is this the same as a digital converter box)? Can anyone please help me here on what should i buy and how should i connect? Any recommendations or links will help tremendously.

Thanks in advance!
What are you wanting to run to the projector, cable or over the air? That helps determine which tuner you get, but with either one, you connect them to the AVR and the AVR feeds the signal to the projector. You can connect direct, but then you need a second cable (most likely optical) to connect from tuner to AVR for audio.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1943 of 2997 Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
What are you wanting to run to the projector, cable or over the air? That helps determine which tuner you get, but with either one, you connect them to the AVR and the AVR feeds the signal to the projector. You can connect direct, but then you need a second cable (most likely optical) to connect from tuner to AVR for audio.
Over the air is what I am trying to achieve. Thanks!
post #1944 of 2997 Old 07-19-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyguy23 View Post
Over the air is what I am trying to achieve. Thanks!
Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/PrimeDTV-PHD-2...dtv+tuner+hdmi

post #1945 of 2997 Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot Mike!
post #1946 of 2997 Old 07-19-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstach500 View Post
I also use a Harmony. Although only two power off commands are required, I have it send three power off commands in a row. It works very reliably. You could also have it send the first power off command, then add a delay, then do the second power off command.
Do you set that under Device or Activity?

post #1947 of 2997 Old 07-19-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Do you set that under Device or Activity?
It is under Devices. Select "Settings" for the projector. Then select "Adjust power settings." Next, go through the wizard, stating that you use a button on the remote for on and a different button for off. For the power on question, say "I don't have the original remote, but I know the command that is used." Then select the PowerOn option from the dropdown menu. Select next. For the power off question, choose "My device needs more than one command to turn it on and off." Then do something similar as the power on question, but this time tell it to send three PowerOff commands in a row. Finish the rest of the wizard and then update your Harmony with the new settings. You should be good to go. If not, you may need to change the delay time between the sending of commands. You can do this by selecting "Settings" for the projector and then "Adjust the delays (speed settings)." Set it to something longer than it currently is set to and see if it works. Good luck.
AidenL likes this.
post #1948 of 2997 Old 07-19-2014, 02:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstach500 View Post
It is under Devices. Select "Settings" for the projector. Then select "Adjust power settings." Next, go through the wizard, stating that you use a button on the remote for on and a different button for off. For the power on question, say "I don't have the original remote, but I know the command that is used." Then select the PowerOn option from the dropdown menu. Select next. For the power off question, choose "My device needs more than one command to turn it on and off." Then do something similar as the power on question, but this time tell it to send three PowerOff commands in a row. Finish the rest of the wizard and then update your Harmony with the new settings. You should be good to go. If not, you may need to change the delay time between the sending of commands. You can do this by selecting "Settings" for the projector and then "Adjust the delays (speed settings)." Set it to something longer than it currently is set to and see if it works. Good luck.
I saved a new projector button that was two off button pushes. It is very important that you save it as a raw command because it will not save it as two off commands if you do not save it as a raw command. A second option is if you use an HDMI capable receiver and you can set controls in the receiver and the projector to control power cycle with the receiver. I enjoy using my Harmony with the raw command for my power button in the harmony sequence even though it does miss the second command for off about 25% of the time. (Not bad enough for me to record the double tap again to see if I improve my percentages...) I then go to help and problem solved.
AidenL likes this.
post #1949 of 2997 Old 07-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

I think I may have a new reference disc for showing off the iris and black levels for our X500. I picked up the first season of Game of Thrones yesterday, I have it on my DVR but wanted to get the best quality possible. The opening scene of the first episode when they are riding through the tunnel. Well the shadow detail is amazing, when I watched it from my recording the tunnel was just a black blob, on the BD I can see all the details in the roof of the tunnel. Real good test. As for the image quality on the rest of the episode, well just amazing.

post #1950 of 2997 Old 07-20-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Re DI visibility, in the about 30 hr I've been able to put on my 4910, I've never noticed it during program material.

Which makes it amazing how very visible the brightness pumping of credits is.

Noah
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page