Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #1951 of 1975 Old 07-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This may be a dumb question, but where do I find the Serial Number of my projector?

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Scope Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Sony BDP S6200 | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | MK M4T Sides | KEF E301 Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : iPad Air | Harmony Ultimate |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1975 Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
It's not a dumb question. It seems like every manufacturer places them in a different spot. On the X500, it's on a sticker right beneath the 3D Sync port which is located on the back of the unit.
AidenL likes this.
post #1953 of 1975 Old 07-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Re DI visibility, in the about 30 hr I've been able to put on my 4910, I've never noticed it during program material.

Which makes it amazing how very visible the brightness pumping of credits is.

Same for me: at 400 hours, the only times the DI becomes noticeable is during credits. It has never bothered me during regular video content. I am using autoiris2. Extremely happy with that...

Stef
post #1954 of 1975 Old 07-20-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
Same for me: at 400 hours, the only times the DI becomes noticeable is during credits. It has never bothered me during regular video content. I am using autoiris2. Extremely happy with that...
What month do you guy's think owners of the 4910 will sell their used units to buy the next generation JVC's?

Thanks,
Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #1955 of 1975 Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post
What month do you guy's think owners of the 4910 will sell their used units to buy the next generation JVC's?

Thanks,
Tom
Beginning of September. Basically right before cedia and right afterwards
post #1956 of 1975 Old 07-20-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Beginning of September. Basically right before cedia and right afterwards
Maybe just a two month wait then. I'll be keeping an eye on the forums classifieds.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #1957 of 1975 Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
Even better is the grin I get during a fade to black when I can't see my hand in front of my face
post #1958 of 1975 Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Would you guy's consider the 4910 a pretty significant upgrade over the RS55? If I were to purchase a 4910 now, it would probably delay the purchase of a 4k projector for at least a couple of years. The longer I hold on to the R55 the less the it's value will be.

If I can't slow down my movie collecting addiction, I may need to live with 1080p for financial reasons. If I had to choose between 4k or continue with 1080p and collecting films, I would choose the latter.

AVS has a special this month on the 4910. A free lamp is thrown in so I would likely have this puppy for years.

I have only viewed 4k at the theater and the detail is amazing. My 55 is obviously softer but it is detailed enough for me to live with.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by Tom Monahan; 07-21-2014 at 11:15 AM.
post #1959 of 1975 Old 07-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When a person states their projector has excellent convergence is it before or after zone convergence has been applied?
I have to use fine +11 in areas. I am concerned it may be causing some type of distortion. A grid looks fine even a small crosshatch pattern. Does JVC's zone not distort the displayed moving image? Any thoughts are appreciated.
post #1960 of 1975 Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post
When a person states their projector has excellent convergence is it before or after zone convergence has been applied?
I have to use fine +11 in areas. I am concerned it may be causing some type of distortion. A grid looks fine even a small crosshatch pattern. Does JVC's zone not distort the displayed moving image? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Before any type of electronic convergence correction is applied. For the fine convergence system, integers of 5 are the worst case scenario as far as scaling artifacts go. The closer to numbers that end in 0 are the best for scaling. So +11 isn't too bad. But I think this means that your native convergence isn't too great. I believe every 10 steps in the fine controls shifts the color an entire pixel. This means whatever color you had to shift 11 steps is off more than an entire pixel. I believe this is still well within the quality control limits JVC sets however. For someone to consider their unit having great convergence, out of the box native convergence (before you use the electronic convergence system in the menus) should have less than a quarter pixel of misconvergence and a "golden sample" ideally will only have up to one color being less than a quarter pixel off.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-22-2014 at 12:01 AM.
post #1961 of 1975 Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just had my x500 installed and living it so far but the only issue I am having is on low lamp mode and eshift engaged I get a slight whine noise. Has anyone noticed this?
post #1962 of 1975 Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post
It should be based on out of box convergence, after warm up.

Mine was pretty much perfect, except for the bottom 1/4 of the screen having some blue mis-convergence. Could be CA. I used values around 10-12 to fix it. I looked at resolution test patterns and I could not see any noticeable loss. I'm sure there is some side effect but I can't see it and it is less objectionable than seeing slight blue at the bottom of scope movies at the border of the image and black bars.

To be honest, with eshift doing it's thing already if you're using it, I'm not sure how much I'd worry about the effect of using the digital convergence anyway.
stef2 likes this.

Last edited by curlyjive; 07-22-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #1963 of 1975 Old 07-22-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Just had my x500 installed and living it so far but the only issue I am having is on low lamp mode and eshift engaged I get a slight whine noise. Has anyone noticed this?
The noise is the pitch at which the e-shift device is moving. That noise is completely normal.
post #1964 of 1975 Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Well, for the first time I noticed some weird gamma pumping with my RS4910. It was on and off throughout the movie Hanna, mostly in dark scenes with several bright highlights when the camera would cut between two different angles. At first I thought it was simply an issue with the BD transfer, but when I turned the dynamic iris to manual (from Auto 1 or Auto 2) the pumping would stop. It wasn't the iris moving because I replayed the trouble scenes and watched the iris - it didn't move.

Oh well, it is what it is, I just wonder what it was about the particular movie that freaked out the projector so much, especially since I've never noticed any pumping at all except for during credits.

Update - I searched the thread a little bit and it sounds like Seegs has described exactly what I'm seeing in his post here.

Last edited by Schwa; Yesterday at 12:33 AM.
post #1965 of 1975 Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Well, for the first time I noticed some weird gamma pumping with my RS4910. It was on and off throughout the movie Hanna, mostly in dark scenes with several bright highlights when the camera would cut between two different angles. At first I thought it was simply an issue with the BD transfer, but when I turned the dynamic iris to manual (from Auto 1 or Auto 2) the pumping would stop. It wasn't the iris moving because I replayed the trouble scenes and watched the iris - it didn't move.

Oh well, it is what it is, I just wonder what it was about the particular movie that freaked out the projector so much, especially since I've never noticed any pumping at all except for during credits.

Update - I searched the thread a little bit and it sounds like Seegs has described exactly what I'm seeing in his post here.
I saw the same thing with my 4910 this past weekend when watching the first Harry Potter movie. In the last scene of the movie where they are announcing the scores for each team (or house), the gamma would shift and the detail in the characters' faces would wash out a second or so before cutting to another angle. It was consistent and repeatable, and it stopped entirely when I switched from Auto 2 to manual. Overall, though, this is a minor annoyance since I had only noticed this effect on one other program in the prior 7 months or so that I've been using the projector. I decided to keep the projector in Auto 2 since the issue is so rare. Even with this issue, I am still very impressed with this projector.
post #1966 of 1975 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

If you really want to torture it, use a brightness pattern with flashing black bars

But in reality, it happens rarely and you could nitpick any displays idiosyncrasies. The time I notice it the most is when a disc is loading and the play icon appears at the bottom of a black screen. It is very dim white. Then when something else appears on the screen, that icon gets brighter. Same with the start of credits.

But I have been very impressed with how unobtrusive the iris is....and I never hear it. in fact I looked at it working (from an off angle soI didn't blind myself!) and I could see it working, but even up close it was dead silent.
post #1967 of 1975 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Would you guy's consider the 4910 a pretty significant upgrade over the RS55? If I were to purchase a 4910 now, it would probably delay the purchase of a 4k projector for at least a couple of years. The longer I hold on to the R55 the less the it's value will be.

If I can't slow down my movie collecting addiction, I may need to live with 1080p for financial reasons. If I had to choose between 4k or continue with 1080p and collecting films, I would choose the latter.

AVS has a special this month on the 4910. A free lamp is thrown in so I would likely have this puppy for years.

I have only viewed 4k at the theater and the detail is amazing. My 55 is obviously softer but it is detailed enough for me to live with.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom, I think we will be watching Blu Rays for years to come. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 4910 now, and re - visit 4K in 5 years. I continue to collect excellent films on Blu Ray too. If and when 4K Blu ray comes out, I'm still going to wait until it drops in price.

Buy the best home theater gear you can comfortably afford when you are ready to upgrade, and don't worry about what may or may not come down the road 3 years from now. That's my philosophy.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1968 of 1975 Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Tom
The thing with the rs55, it will lose it value as long as you wait. I say, sell it as fast as you can and get the rs49. The sooner the better. If you feel like you are ready to upgrade from the 49, you may not lose as much in 2 years.
post #1969 of 1975 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Or you can wait till the next model's come out again, and buy my mint under 250 hour X500...

I upgrade every year anyhow. lol.
post #1970 of 1975 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
If you really want to torture it, use a brightness pattern with flashing black bars

But in reality, it happens rarely and you could nitpick any displays idiosyncrasies. The time I notice it the most is when a disc is loading and the play icon appears at the bottom of a black screen. It is very dim white. Then when something else appears on the screen, that icon gets brighter. Same with the start of credits.

But I have been very impressed with how unobtrusive the iris is....and I never hear it. in fact I looked at it working (from an off angle soI didn't blind myself!) and I could see it working, but even up close it was dead silent.
Well, I only posted because I was surprised how frequently the gamma pumping/flickering occurred in Hanna. I'd honestly never noticed it before. There were a lot of low-to-mid APL scenes in that movie with bright highlights though so I suppose that's what was tripping it up.

No big deal. I'm honestly not quite as critical as some (most?) around here so I was pretty surprised to have noticed it at all.
post #1971 of 1975 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Or you can wait till the next model's come out again, and buy my mint under 250 hour X500...

I upgrade every year anyhow. lol.

I think many will be buying used x500/sr49 in September and October. They are lightly used and majority are already calibrated. They are also settled in with the bulbs, with the warranty still. Seems like a win, win situation.
post #1972 of 1975 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you guys have a thread where we post calibration settings? I don't see many here at all and looking for a few tips outside of the reviews online. I have a dragonfly 110 inch x500 with a throw of about 12ft. My unit is brand new and I've been tweaking a bit but still find some nitpicks.
post #1973 of 1975 Old Today, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Has someone compared sending blu-ray @ 1080 24Htz vs 4K 24Htz to the projector? And what was their take or opinion on the outcome?
post #1974 of 1975 Old Today, 08:50 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

Thanks,
Tom
Greetings,

Tom, I moved from the RS55 to the 4910u and haven't looked back. Period.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #1975 of 1975 Old Today, 08:53 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Has someone compared sending blu-ray @ 1080 24Htz vs 4K 24Htz to the projector? And what was their take or opinion on the outcome?

Greetings,

I have done it via my Marantz AV8801 scaling 1080p/24 to 4K 24p. I don't notice any real benefit/difference.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page